IMDb > "Have I Got News for You" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Have I Got News for You"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Have I Got News for You" More at IMDbPro »

Brilliant!

Author: Scones-and-Jam from London
20 November 2004

I felt I should write this as the previous review had no mention of Angus Deayton's departure.

Though this should have been a tragedy for this great show, something good has come out of it, with a guest host every week. 'Have I got News for You' is a dependable British Comic institution. I can be found faithfully on a Friday night in front of my TV set, watching and laughing. The basic formula is: one guest host (expected to make obligatory self-derogatory remarks) two captains (almost without exception the comic geniuses that are Ian Hislop and Paul Merton) and two guests (who are expected to make jokes relevant to their fields, For many people it is a matter of choice, but I prefer Paul Merton's humour to Ian Hislop's.

The animated title scene is perhaps the worst part of this brilliant show- and it is only half a minute! The other problem is that because this is so topical, it cannot survive like Blackadder has, it lacks that timeless element. Generations to come would have to read up on some news reports to understand the jokes.

Sometimes, the guests can be superb, or less so, but the programme is carried solely on Merton and Hislop, and rounds such as the one where a newspaper is taken and a series of words blanked out are guessed.

On a more serious note, this is not a quiz show in the vein of Who wants to be a Millionaire or University Challenge- this is for fun. Some who are not entirely up to speed on current affairs may not enjoy all the jokes.

So if you find life tragic enough and long for a bit of humour, do watch it, because they've got news for you!

(I couldn't resist it)

*****/*****

Biting political and showbiz satire quiz.

Author: G.Spider from UK
13 March 2001

Eleven years and still going strong. This is a topical news quiz which is never short of hilarious in its biting satire and ceaseless wit. In the chair is Angus Deyton, and competing are two teams, each made up of a regular captain and a different guest each week. The captains are comedian Paul Merton and Prive Eye editor and former 'Spitting Image' script-writer Ian Hislop. Guests over the years have included a wide range of politicians, celebrities and other well-known faces including Neil Kinnock, Ken Livingstone, Tom Baker, Charles Kennedy, Boris Johnson, Bob Monkhouse, Clive Anderson, Jo Brand, Harry Enfield, Rory Bremner, Jimmy Saville, Peter Hitchens, Trevor McDonald, Cecil Parkinson and many others. Here's to another eleven years.

The very best of the UK panel shows

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
16 January 2002

Hosted by Angus Deayton, two teams (Captains Hislop and Merson and one guest each) pick through the weeks news in a quiz format. Rounds include odd one out, working out a story from news footage, missing words round etc. Winning is not as important as making good jokes.

This is the original panel show that sparked off copies on other subjects, music (never mind the buzzcocks) sport (they think it's all over) TV (It's only TV but I like it) etc. However it's a very British style of comedy - relying on sharp wits and cynical, satirical views on news stories. Deayton provides the scripted lines, Hislop provides the cruel satirical wit and Merson provides the off the wall style humour. All three are very different but work together very well making for a constant stream of jokes that appeal to different senses of humour.

The chemistry is so good that the guests don't really matter. Some are very good and match the sharp wits joke for joke. However others are clearly out of their depth and are not able to keep up with the joking, rather just try to answer the questions straight. Many are on so that they can be the butt of jokes - politicians are the main group that walk a tightrope by appearing on the show. However the guests are not that important - indeed Merson's team mates have included an Elton John impersonator and a tub of lard (after guests dropped out at the last moment), yet the show was as funny as ever.

Overall very Private Eye Editor Hislop's sharp, cynical humour mixed with Merson's surreal brand of comedy held together in a quiz format makes for a very funny show that feels as fresh as it did all those years ago.

The popular (and great) British satirical news quiz

Author: mattsday
28 June 2003

Have I Got News For You is a satirical news quiz in which two teams compete for points, by answering questions on the weeks events. The show is often devastatingly funny, extremely witty and is always fresh and topical.

Hosted by Angus Deayton until 2002, the show features two regular team captains, Ian Hislop and Paul Merton who are each joined by a guest. From the second series in 2002 and in to 2003, the show has been hosted by a series of guest hosts, ranging from popular MP's like William Hague and Charles Kennedy to mainstream celebrities such as Charlotte Church and Anne Robinson.

Ian Hislop is the editor of the fortnightly satirical magazine, private eye and is known for being euro-sceptic and anti-football. Throughout the shows history, Ian's knowledge of pop music has been the butt of many jokes from the other two regulars, but he usually takes it in good humour.

Paul Merton, the second of the two captains, is a well-known comedian who works for the BBC in a number of other productions, such as Room 101. His comments during the show are typically off the wall and almost random to the extent of making him the bright star of the show's off-beat humour - particularly if he's on form.

The show's guests include people from all areas of the media - ranging from lords to comedians and from political leaders to actors and actresses. Some of the show's best guests have been the mayor of London, Ken Livingstone (who claimed he was once second in popularity to the pope), Spectator editor and Tory MP, Boris Johnson (who made such a hash out of all his appearances as to be one of the show's brightest and funniest guests), Guardian Columnist and well-known Feminist, Germaine Greer (who made certain to Ian Hislop she was wearing don't f**k me shoes) and the totally mad Eddie Izzard who asked if all the items in the odd-one out were made out of jam.

Many people have claimed that without Angus Deayton, the show could not work and is destined for failure. Two series later, the show is still running as well as it ever has, with the added bonus of the guest hosts being able to shine through and give a wave of freshness to the show. How could ever forget Bruce Forsythe's "Play your Iraqi cards right?'

It's just a show that can never get tired - as the news itself will never get tiresome - there'll always be scandals, lies and Have I Got News For You.

The show the politicians fear.

Author: saville from Derbyshire, England
6 April 2001

Actor Angus Deayton, satirist Ian Hislop and comedian Paul Merton make a very formidable trio on this weekly quiz show. Each week they are joined by guests, with appearances by such people as Paula Yates, John Simpson and Tom Baker being particularly memorable. I don't know what Americans would make of it, because you have to be familiar with British celebrities and British news to understand it. Nevertheless, there is endless humour and it's a delight to watch the regulars score points against each other every episode. The format could go on forever but it wouldn't be the same without Deayton, Hislop and Merton.

One of the most biting comic panel shows of all time

Author: simonaldra from Norway
1 January 2012

Have I got news for you is a superb show. I've watched it for years, and while the circumstances of Angus leaving was rather silly and moralistic, it was the shows answer to Pink Floyd losing Syd. The show has become less predictable, and in many ways better with his leaving. Having two guest panelists every week is very fine and dandy, but the presenter being new every episode is simply brilliance itself.

My personal favorites as guest hosts would probably be Clarkson, Boris Johnson and of course Brian Blessed. But I digress.

The biting political satire of HIGNFY is beyond reproach. At times, a certain understanding of British society and British politics will be needed to understand gags. It's not that complex, though. If I can manage it as a Norwegian, I see no reasons why English speakers should find the humor too complex. Television far to often panders to the smallest denominator. Condecending, to say the least. HIGNFY is one of the shows that prove why such thinking is utter rubbish. It's funny simply because it's somewhat intellectual.

I have laughed my behind off more than once watching this show, for anyone with an ounce of anglophilia, the least bit, it is a must see show. For anyone who just loves a laugh, the same carries.

Not being able to watch this masterpiece of a satirical programe would be comparable to what Edmund Blackadder once called worse than an eternity in the depts of hell, with Satan and all his minions; in short, five minutes with him and a pencil.

I recommend this so hard it hurts.

The Quintessential Quiz Show

Author: leo_leouencour
14 May 2004

Running for 14 years now, and through fire, brimstone and Presenter Prostitution Scandal, still going strong, the recent vein of guest presenters bringing strong new variety to the show.

'Private Eye' editor Ian Hislop and veteran funny man Paul Merton spearhead this quiz show, led formerly by respected actor Angus Deayton, of 'One foot in the grave' fame have sculpted a masterpiece manifested in this programme. At first, I was wondering how a show about current affairs could be so comic, but the news provides us with an inexhaustible supply of scandal, potential parodies, and hilarious opportunities to lambast politicians and such like, which is what 'Have I got news for you' has been inspired by for the last fourteen years.

Joined by two guests, usually politicians, comedians, journalists, or Boris Johnson, the format surprisingly has never grown tiresome, and with recent classics such as Angus'... Well, departure, the infamous 'Tub of Lard' episode, and 'Elton John' Joining the guests, I am hopeful this show will continue for many years to come.

Very good satirical panel game

Author: Andrew from Essex
19 April 2017

This is a very funny BBC panel game with two teams and a host. Angus Deayton hosted it for over a decade, but since he was fired it has had many different guest hosts. One team is led by Paul Merton and the other by Ian Hislop. Each team has different celebrity players each week. However, many celebs have been the host and/or contestants multiple times.

The show has several rounds and is very good at making fun of politicians, current affairs etc.

Still going strong!

Author: new_life_255 from Twickenham, England
22 October 2004

Fourteen years on, and its still hilarious! I love this programme - my Friday evenings aren't quite the same without it. And why? Three things: 1. The sharp comments and satire. 2. Ian Hislop. 3. Paul Merton. Before 'that-unfortunate-incident' there was a fourth reason, that being Angus Deayton. Such a dreadful pity that such a fabulous host had to give up. Ah well, at least most of the guest hosts are good too. My particular favourites were Boris Johnson (who had no control over Paul - but then, who does?) William Hague (surprisingly so) and Ann Robinson (deducting points and giving them, umm can't remember much actually...) Anyway, here's to many more years on the air!

TVs Deayton in Drugs Romp with Vice Girl

Author: mulders_dumblonde from landon enflgajnf
9 June 2002

any one in any country which doesnt have this show i pity you!!! it has to be the funniest show ever broadcast although it can be a little confusing to people who dont keep up with the british news - especially the "news of the world" in light of recent events... it also happens to have the sexiest british man ever as the host ("TVs Mr Sex" angus deayton) with the funniest, most surreal man on the planet (Paul Merton) to his right and the worlds most cynical, witty and prematurely balding monkey (the oh so bitter and adorable Ian Hislop who, allegedly, is only 45)to his left. i love this show and i love the panellists - please watch it if you are able for the good of your heart, health and country!!! every epsiodes a classic but the whole drugs/hooker/elephant scandal was unmissable so was the next episode with the mahogony stain tan guy from bargain hunt !!!