IMDb > "Get a Life" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Get a Life"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Get a Life" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Hilarity!

Author: pfelon from United States
1 February 2001

This was my favorite TV show when it was on. It had wacky slapstick, sharp dialogue, and fantastic performance. If you've seen "Cabin Boy", you'll love Chris Elliott in this show.

When "There's Something About Mary" came out, I saw it and was reminded instantly of the sort of outlandish humor both that and "Get a Life" used.

My favorite episode is definitely the one where Chris is mutated by nuclear material and becomes a spelling bee wizard before it wears off and he badly misspells the word "pants".

If you haven't seen it, check it out.

It was stupid but in a good way.

Author: blackarachnia2
31 October 2004

I don't really know why I'm bothering to comment on this show but I do know that this was one of Fox's most underrated shows. To look at Chris and Bob Elliott you'd never know that the two were even related. I think that they made a pretty dynamic duo. Chris and Bob both had such great chemistry on the small screen. I really enjoyed Get A Life but it's just too bad that the show was canceled after only 2 seasons.

The people who were in Get A Life were funny and witty but there was just something about the chemistry between Bob and Chris that really appealed to me. A father/son duo who were out to prove that they could be just as funny as the rest of them could. :)

Where did it go?

Author: joehed from Jersey, USA
28 November 1999

Why did this show die? I thought it was one of the funniest series on television ever. Chris Elliot is Chris Peterson, a thirty year old newspaper delivery boy who still lives with his parents.

This show should be resurrected. My favorite episode is when Chris orders a submarine via the mail and he builds it in his bathtub. Him and his father then get trapped inside and are running out of air.

Nutso, schizo, and totally hilarious, the ultimate Chris Elliot vehicle

Author: cfisanick from Western Pennsylvania
26 February 2002

It's been over a decade, and many of us still double-over with laughter just thinking about episodes of this insane sitcom, a Hellzapopin revue for the goofy, mannered talents of Chris Elliot. However, an equal number of folks see this show as nothing but stupid. Elliot, Resnick, and company probably see it that way too. There aren't many absolutes in life, but this is one of them: You'll either love or hate this show (and your feelings will be inextricably tied to how much you like Chris Elliot). There is NO middle ground. No one ever says that "Get a Life" is "just OK," "fair," or "I could take it or leave it." It inspires fervent reactions both pro and con. And in a plain vanilla world of network television, that's a good thing!

For me, my life is always a whole lot better when I think about "Spewey the Alien," "Zoo Animals on Wheels," and the "Toolbelt Wars." Those episodes are as fresh today as they were in the day. The trouble with Chris Elliot, I think, is that he has such a bizarre, almost off-putting sense of humor that a little of him goes a long way. (If you don't believe me, see "Cabin Boy.") Here's the perfect vehicle to enjoy his talents--in 22 minute chunks! Eat up!

The show was original

Author: Chris Morrow (morrowman2) from Pickerington, Ohio
28 September 2005

What can I say "Get a Life was so Strange that it was funny. Half the episodes didn't make any kind of point, but it was funny just the same. The show was basically about a middle aged boy named Chris Peterson who had a paper route and lived with his parents, at least in the 1st season and above all else, HAD NO LIFE! The show only lasted two seasons. During the 2nd season Chris moves out of his parents house and into the basement of retired police officer, Gus who was his landlord-friend. Why FOX didn't keep the series on longer I don't understand because the show had many amusing episodes, corny but funny. I do miss this show I look back and remembered laughing my self silly watching this show every week. But, as usual FOX always cancels the good TV Shows.

I agree!

Author: Zorro-3 from USA
11 May 2003

Wow! As much as this show is only for a certain type of warped sense of humor (like mine!) I can't not notice that every single reviewer of this semi-controversial show (so far) has sung praises. And all deserved! I so agree! I only wish they'd put a few more on DVD.

This was an original show

Author: William (wmattifo) from Lubbock, TX
5 July 2004

A lot of television humor is recycled from past shows, or just the same theme over and over again. I won't go into examples, but I think you understand what I'm saying. This show, however, was original and showed the world that Chris Elliot is a brilliant comedian. Does anyone remember that Elliot got his start on "David Letterman" on NBC as the "Conspiracy guy", who would stand up in the audience, interrupt the show, and accuse Letterman of some "cover-up" involving missing files and Connie Chung? Then he would run through a door and get run over (usually by a floor buffer). "Get a Life" was very funny and quite original. I guess my favorite episode was the one where the alien Chris found would ooze out some vile, and disgusting stuff out of his body, and Chris ate it. He got Brian Doyle-Murray to eat some, too. They said it tasted like pudding. The alien seemed disgusted that they were eating the stuff, too. I really liked this show and I wish Fox had kept it on longer.

excellent & innovative but undoubtedly misunderstood

Author: from los angeles, ca, usa
22 October 2004

Get a Life was an excellent & innovative program. There never was, nor has there been since, anything like it. Unfortunately, because the comedy was so off-beat, it was undoubtedly misunderstood and so it was canceled after only 1 season. Given half a chance, some decent promotion and a few "names", Fox would have had another in a long line of successes. One of my favorite episodes was the satire of the musical "Cats." Chris Elliot's parents were particularly good and if you like Chris's style / humor, you can't help but enjoy the show. Maybe, if enough "noise" is made, it could be revived.

Totally Awesome

Author: sandra2809 from Arnhem, Netherlands
8 October 2004

Somewhere in the early nineties a Dutch TV station bought a dozen of episodes of Get a Life and it was one of the funniest, if not THE funniest thing I have ever seen. I remember a few years later I even wrote to the TV station to beg for reruns (but never heard from them). Apparently not many people (in the Netherlands) liked it. The funny thing is though, that the good friends I have had, when I mentioned Get a Life, they have freaked out; they say it's one of the best things they ever saw! So do I have a specific taste in friends? :-) Weird! I am currently trying to get it from the U.S. on DVD cos needless to say it's not released in Europe. I so hope I get it cos it was so awesome! Everybody should watch it at least once when given the chance cos it's quite unique and if it IS your kind of thing, you probably will never see anything funnier.

Totally awesomeness

Author: (spartan_9175@msn.com) from Kelso, Washington
26 June 2004

I remember back when I was 9 trying to watch this show it was the only other show besides Married with Children that my mother never really let me see. I think one reason I loved this show was that it had Chris Elliott in it I mean you can't get any funnier than Chris Elliott. I'll be honest I can't really remember all the episodes I just remember that this show was totally awesome. There was one episode that he built a submarine in his parents bathroom I mean how many children wished they could? I feel this show was so awesome because he wasn't afraid to do what parents didn't like. I just wish that they would have kept this show on for more than the two seasons it was on... Anyway its a great show all around and I applaud Chris Elliott on a great job.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]