IMDb > "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

My all-time favourite TV series

Author: quixoboy from Ottawa, Ontario
10 September 2003

Of all the shows, I believe that "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" is the one with which I can most identify with, since I have surely seen every single episode at least a dozen times - and yet it STILL never gets tired! I cannot get sick of this show, and it's making me a bit disturbed! Just what is it that makes this show so continually appealing, even around seven years since its final episode? I'm not sure...it's certainly not just one element. Every part of this show is magic: the wonderful acting from all involved; the witty (and often painfully hysterical) one-liners and banter between characters; the hip, cool atmosphere; the music...it all perfectly fits into what has to be one of the most remarkable and well-made sitcoms of the '90s.

I find myself shocked sometimes at the number of people who have totally forgotten about this show. Granted, it DID end in 1996, and obviously a lot has happened since then (most notably the skyrocketing music & film career of a certain lead star), but I mean, come on! This show is an undisputed classic! Who can forget the wild, crazy, and just plain amusing adventures we've had with Will Smith and the Banks family?

There were times when I was just addicted to this show, I remember...it was a while back when the episodes were running in syndication every evening on TBS SuperStation...I can't believe how this show can always manage to crack me up. It's incredible. I've grown to love all these characters so much, and even now, I still wouldn't pass up an opportunity to watch yet another priceless rerun.

I agree, though, that yes, a lot of the late, LATE episodes (around the second-last and final season) had their fair share of groans, and showed some glaring signs of tedium, but thankfully, the overwhelming positive qualities of the series tower over such minor flaws - including the mysterious re-casting of Aunt Vivian's role from Janet Hubert-Whitten to Daphne Maxwell Reid; the increasingly old-hat shtick of using the same stock footage whenever Jazz gets thrown out of the Banks residence for the umpteenth time; the cursed addition of a new cast member - little Nicky Banks (Ross Bagley), etc....

It's not an entirely perfect show, certainly (but then - what show is?), and it has had its fair share of ups and downs in its moderately impressive run of six years. However, when all is said and done, in the end, this show can proudly stand on its own as a pop culture treasure. It has evolved from what seemed initially to be an awkward, cheesy, quaint little '80s/'90s Cosby rip-off to a mature, slick, and fabulously written/produced/directed program. Pure gold is what this show is.

A truly underrated, and always entertaining, gem. "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" is one for the ages.

The greatest show ever with a 'fresh' attitude.

Author: Jerry Jones from United States
26 December 2002

A++

Starring: Will Smith, James Avery, and Alfonso Ribeiro.

A boy born and raised in the inner city of Philidelphia is sent by his mother to live with a much richer family, the Banks, in Bel-Air. Will's transition from 'inner-city boy' to 'rich boy' is wonderful. The characters always make me laugh. The characters developments are excellent, especially Carlton's. He's hysterical as the 'geeky' type. If you want to watch any show on TV, you better watch this.

Rank: 1st

THE BEST COMEDY OF ALL TIME!!!!!

Author: DominqueZarinha (flygirl2070@hotmail.com) from Trinidad
29 May 2003

I absolutely love this show! I cannot ever recall an episode in which I did not laugh. Will Smith is so hilarious, everything he says always cracks me up. He also has this way of making eye contact with the camera whenever he's done something stupid or did something clever. I love the way Will always picks on Carlton and Uncle Phil. Will Smith, I think he's one of the best megastars in the world today. Vivian (Daphane Maxwell Reid and Janet Hubert Whitten), both portrayed the character excellently I must say. Carlton, what can I say? He always cracks me up. I'll never forget the episode where he and Will were imprisoned and Carlton started freaking out, wow, man, I literally fell down laughing away. Ashley (Tatyana Ali) I love her character. Uncle Phil (James Avery), he's a lawyer turned judge and a father who teaches good moral values to his children. I love his character. There is also Geoffrey. Wow, he is the most sarcastic butler around. He always makes fun of Uncle Phil and boy do I get off with laughter whenever I see him. But the show only had one problem and that was the character Hilary. No offence to Karyn Parsons whom I think is a beautiful and talented actress but the character of Hilary was seriously messed up. Here you have a 21 year old woman still living with her parents and won't go out to look for a job. All she concerned with is the way she looks. I think Hilary was the most annoying person on show. I HATED HILARY. She shouldn't have been like that. Gosh, everytime I had to see her, I would switch the channel until that part was gone. But nevertheless, I still loved the show. I've been watching the reruns since 2000 and I must say, I never get fed up of it. I look forward to it EVERYDAY. I was surprised that it was not included on RANK's Top 25 comedies of all time. This show should have at the top. If anyone does not think this show is funny, then something must be wrong. If I feel depressed and need a good laugh, all I have to do is watch this show and get tonnes of jokes. I wish they would have like the whole 5 or 6 seasons on DVD or VHS so I could go buy it. I give this show two thumbs up. Rating- 10/10, 100% Pure and raw comedy!

Sexy, upscale, funny, and intelligent that was "The, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"!

Author: Brian-272 from Oakwood, Virginia USA
29 May 2001

Inner-city rap met upscale Beverly Hills society in this black sitcom. Philadelphia homeboy Will Smith was off to Beverly Hills to live with his rich, pretentious relatives the Banks. Only you had differences occur Will brought a little soul to the strict Beverly Hills mansion, only to be taught a few things by the Banks as well. The Banks family had the uncle of Will that was Philip (James Avery) a successful attorney who knew all about the problems a black man faced in a white society. The Banks had two daughters who I describe both as being just as sexy and beautiful as ever first the oldest and spoiled Hillary (Karyn Parsons) and the youngest the pretty Ashley (Tatyana Ali). The Banks family always had to deal with problems in life and had fun of it in the process. The theme song by Smith and partner Jeff Townes "Parents Just Don't Understand" said it all. You can now catch the reruns of the famous Will Smith on both cable channels TBS and WGN this popular black sitcom is still well enjoyed.

Still fresh after all these years

Author: dee.reid from United States
5 December 2005

I like to think of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" as a memorable rap song from a time when it wasn't afraid to be creative or witty. Think of a song by Public Enemy, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, or hell, even The Fresh Prince's duo with DJ Jazzy Jeff (who guest stars frequently as Jazz), as the two were known back in rap's Golden Age as DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince.

Of course, this show flourished during a time when rap was still good, and I can't help but make comparisons to the hip-hop community. There is no question that Will Smith is a born entertainer, and he got his break in stardom outside of hip-hop with "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." In it, Will Smith pretty much plays Will Smith (I bet creators Andy and Susan Borowitz had a lot of difficulty thinking up that name), a Philadelphia ghetto youth who gets shipped out by his mother to the posh excess of Bel-Air to live with relatives - The Banks.

Once out there, he finds rivalry with cousins - the preppy Carlton and airheaded would-be blonde Hilary Banks (Alfonso Ribiero and Karyn Parsons), young cousin Ashley (Tatyana M. Ali) emulates Will's hip-hop attitude, and Aunt Vivian (alternately played by actresses Janet Hubert-Whitten and Daphne Maxwell Reid) keeps husband and successful lawyer Uncle Phil's (James Avery) head cool when Will gets into trouble. To keep everything tidy and in order, their loyal, sarcastic British butler Geoffrey (Joseph Marcell) is there too.

It's still fresh after all these years. It never fails to stir up careful, thoughtful, moving, and intelligent laughs from the viewer and I'm surprised I avoided it for so long. (Why do I do this to myself all the time?)

The acting is cool and fresh by all, especially from Smith, and the ladies of the house, Karyn and Tatyana, are both pretty cute to look at too.

Favorite show ever

Author: Jerry Smith from USA
31 May 2002

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is definitely the best show ever. It is hard to laugh at nearly every joke, but they make it possible in this. Every character is awesome. This started Will Smith and I am proud to say that this was good. The storylines in this are excellent. Every character is well developed perfectly. James Avery and the two Vivians are really good as the parents. They convinced me perfectly. Alfonso Ribeiro is perfect as the dorky cousin of Will and he convinced me very much. Karyn Parsons is good as the snobby cousin and she definitely convinced me. Tatyana Ali is good as Ashley and her character developed for the better over the time. Joseph Marcell is perfect as the butler Geoffrey and he made me laugh everytime he said something funny. Ross Bagley is convincing as little Nicky and he was cool. And last, but definitely not least, is Will Smith. He convinced me very much as the hood who changes when he moves in with his rich family and I loved his character the most.

Overall the entire show is perfect and definitely my favorite. Rating ***** out of ****. (Favorite Show)

Hilarious comedy that everyone can enjoy

Author: vince200002000 from United Kingdom
21 August 2007

This show is my favourite show on nick@nite. It's the only TV show that really makes me laugh. Of coarse that's only one great aspect of the show's magical touch of comedy. The acting is great and the show's characters each have their own individual and comical personality that the viewer may relate too. The storyline of the series is quite interesting. A city boy, Will Smith who was born and raised in West Philadelphia was sent to live with his rich aunt and uncle in Bel-Air.

The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air is a show you'll never get tired of. The attitudes of each character only builds up the humour. Carlton, the geek who thinks so highly of himself. Hilary, the stuck up brat. Can't forget Geoffrey the butler with the wise Aleck attitude and many more.

All in all, The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air is great fun and laughs for the whole family

Best comedy-show EVER!!!! believe me!

Author: mkPaul
3 June 2003

I have seen every single episode of this! It is so great! the whole family plays so good! They are all funny, Jazz too by the way! I still watch the episodes on BBC to tape them on video!

people who say the show is just about will are so not right! every character has several episodes where they are put in the picture. There a just a few less good episodes but most of them will make u rolling over the floor! :D :D :D :D D:

i have no problem with this being nick at nite's only show!

Author: nate_boyster from United States
17 March 2005

I think this show is very funny. Will is always cracking jokes. Jokes about Carlton's height, Uncle Phil's weight, and women. Will's low intellect is what makes him so funny. And of course, you have Hilary who is funny because she has the intellect of a rock. And what would the show be like without Geoffrey's sarcasm? The witty butler always has some smart alek thing to say. The smartest people and consequently, the least humorous are Phil and Vivian and Ashley. And even they are pretty funny. That just goes to show you how funny and creative this show truly is. My favorite character would have to be Will because his humor and sarcasm are priceless. Don't forget about Jazz, I always find him to be quite funny and when he gets "thrown" out of the house by Phil, it adds to the humor.

A brilliant show

Author: jessie-8 from kent, England
21 June 2002

This show is brilliant Will Smith's acting is fantastic.This is a great comedy that anyone can enjoy and definately something you don't want to miss.Highly Recommended. five stars

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]