IMDb > "Ferris Bueller" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Ferris Bueller" More at IMDbPro »

Don't bother to save this "Ferris"...

Author: Mister-6 from United States
9 February 2000

The road to you-know-where is paved with good intentions.

And I'm sure there are a lot of producers, directors and so forth who are headed that way after seeing the prime-time terror they have wrought here.

"Ferris Bueller" is a TV version of the everyday high-school life of the lead character from John Hughes' brilliant movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". And while the basic idea is good, everything else is completely done wrong.

Schlatter is a lot of the problem. Though he looks appropriately young, he just seems too cocky, too arrogant and too smug as Ferris to appeal the same way as Matthew Broderick did. He manages to begin the ship sinking early.

Not much better are Aniston as his sister, Riehle as Ed Rooney and not even the actors that play his parents, girlfriend or best pal Cameron Frye make as much of an impression as their counterparts did on film.

And then there were the scripts; not half as inventive as the movie; not even cameos by whomever happened to be on the NBC studio back lot that day make much difference. No, even good direction (by Bixby, Lynn, etc) helps.

In the end, the "Ferris Bueller" series didn't even last 13 episodes. What do you know, looks like Ed Rooney got his revenge after all.

No stars. Hardly worth thinking about; unless you just want to get a headache.

Sickening rip-off of the hilarious movie.

Author: lartronic from Akron, Ohio.
9 January 2001

If one should see some episodes of this before seeing the actual movie, please don't think the film was this bad. Everything about this show is all wrong, especially the actors, they are in no way as appealing as the ones from the film. The movie was a hilarious spoof of high-school life, this show is just plain terrible. Of course, if you want to throw up...

Well...I liked it!

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
26 November 2002

OK--this was not up to the original movie (which was great)...but how could it be? For what it was (a TV series) it was pretty good. I thought Schlatter was dead on as Ferris--his talking to the audience was well-done and I laughed out loud when he took a chainsaw to a cardboard cutout of Matthew Broderick from the film. And I though Jennifer Aniston was perfect as his obnoxious sister. I seem to be alone in liking this, but I think people are comparing it way too much to the movie. There's no way any TV series could measure up to that. Taken on it own I thought it was a fun TV series.

Awful mock-up of a classic 80's teen movie

Author: BigWhiskers from United States
9 September 2012

This is not even camp bad . This is just awful with the smart ass Schlatter playing the so called real Ferris Bueller even going so far as to mocking the movie by dissing Matthew Broderick and cutting off the head of a cardboard cutout of Broderick as Ferris Bueller. This tactless dull comedy totally insults the film and the smart alecky Schlatter who is supposedly the real Ferris comes across as an annoying little whiner who needs to have his butt kicked. A young Jennifer Aniston plays his sister Jeannie to the same effect. Why they even produced this show is beyond me ,the movie was terrific and this shames it. Total BOMB.

Arthur Petrelli?

Author: Vashnyra from United States
26 November 2008

Anyone else notice there's a character on this show named Arthur Petrelli? Don't you think it's more than a coincidence that Cristine Rose (who played Barbara Bueller) now plays a character on Heroes whose husband just so happens to be named... Arthur Petrelli?

Can't say I'm a fan of this TV adaptation of the awesome and culturally significant film "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". This show just seemed too forced and awkward compared to the whip-smart dialog and perfect casting of the movie. The acting trio at the heart of the original film -- Matthew Broderick, Mia Sara and Alan Ruck -- are perfectly balanced and have great chemistry (like William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley were for the original Star Trek). The Ferris TV cast were sadly lacking in this regard.

Perhaps they would have "hit their stride" in a second or possibly third season, but we'll never know. At any rate, I prefer to remember Ferris Bueller as portrayed by the one and only Matthew Broderick. It would be a blast to see him reprise his role as an older (but not wiser) Ferris, married to Sloan with a few kids running around. But then again, maybe some things are better left alone.

Jennifer Aniston as Jeanne Bueller

Author: caycat96 from United States
8 June 2006

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is an entertaining movie. I've enjoyed it several times over the years and I always get a kick out of it. Guess it could be considered a comedy classic. You can never have enough of those.

I never saw the sitcom but did want to respond to the comment that Jennifer Grey played Ferris' sister, Jeanne, and not Jennifer Aniston.

While Silverkiss 38 is correct in stating that the movie role went to Jennifer Grey, I believe the television sitcom role went to Jennifer Aniston. So, Silverkiss 38's fellow reviewers are correct in stating Jennifer Aniston played Jeanne Bueller, if they are reviewing the television sitcom. Which it sounds like they are if you read the comments carefully.

Guess we can all afford to do a little research!

hmm

Author: cameron8979
23 February 2002

I had to add my two cents in here. I'm fairly sure that no one was expecting this show to live up to the movie. So don't be surprised if it just doesn't seem like Ferris Bueller. After all, Matthew Broderick is Ferris Bueller, in the same way that Stallone is Rocky, Pat Morita is Mr. Miyagi, and Jaleel White is Urkel. It just isn't Ferris without him and the supporting cast from the movie. While Ami Dolenz and Jennifer Aniston are good looking actresses, they aren't enough to keep my interest for more than one episode.

Sacrilege

Author: the_bill_s_preston_esq from USA
9 December 2001

Ferris Bueller's Day Off was a modern classic. A clever, lovable film. This, on the other hand, just doesn't work. It isn't trying to insult the original, but it can't help it. Don't watch it, and don't worry about it. It was a bad idea which luckily wasn't on the tube very long.

The Show

Author: (brotherbilly@bbtel.com) from Kentucky
26 February 2004

I think the show was one of a kind that rarly comes around and I loved it I even have a few eps on tape that was when I first became fans of 3 stars of the show Brandon Douglas Jennifer Anniston and Charlie Schlatter throughout the web you can fan fan pages mailing lists and more from the school I have a role playing list It was an all star cast in my book great acting and of highschool settings one of the best I've ever seen you rarly get to that quality on tv anymore and some of the stars has even hit it bigger like Charlie Schlatter and Jennifer Anniston havent saw much of Brandon Douglas lately but would love to see him in something esle and also would love to see Charlie in another series

Why!

Author: rachelakamonkey from United States
10 April 2005

Omg! I did not know they even tried to make a series out of the movie!! (which was amazing) If I ever saw this I'd scream in horror!!!! This is so dumb thank god I was born in '92 and not '90 because I would have been horrified! They should of made fun of this on "I love the '90's part Deaux" Whoever came up with the idea of making the series must of been seriously drunk! Matthew Broderrick must of thought this was the most dumbest idea in centuries! Cant believe this blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel bad for all those you had to see this series!! This is the nest worst thing right next to "My So Called Life" and "Freeks and Geeks"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean for real we seriously need to think and we also need to stop making series out of every movie out there!! I mean come on what is next "Gigli: the series" We need to stop the madness!! Its driving all of us mad!