IMDb > "Ferris Bueller" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Ferris Bueller" More at IMDbPro »

Don't bother to save this "Ferris"...

Author: Mister-6 from United States
9 February 2000

The road to you-know-where is paved with good intentions.

And I'm sure there are a lot of producers, directors and so forth who are headed that way after seeing the prime-time terror they have wrought here.

"Ferris Bueller" is a TV version of the everyday high-school life of the lead character from John Hughes' brilliant movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". And while the basic idea is good, everything else is completely done wrong.

Schlatter is a lot of the problem. Though he looks appropriately young, he just seems too cocky, too arrogant and too smug as Ferris to appeal the same way as Matthew Broderick did. He manages to begin the ship sinking early.

Not much better are Aniston as his sister, Riehle as Ed Rooney and not even the actors that play his parents, girlfriend or best pal Cameron Frye make as much of an impression as their counterparts did on film.

And then there were the scripts; not half as inventive as the movie; not even cameos by whomever happened to be on the NBC studio back lot that day make much difference. No, even good direction (by Bixby, Lynn, etc) helps.

In the end, the "Ferris Bueller" series didn't even last 13 episodes. What do you know, looks like Ed Rooney got his revenge after all.

No stars. Hardly worth thinking about; unless you just want to get a headache.

Well...I liked it!

Author: preppy-3 from United States
26 November 2002

OK--this was not up to the original movie (which was great)...but how could it be? For what it was (a TV series) it was pretty good. I thought Schlatter was dead on as Ferris--his talking to the audience was well-done and I laughed out loud when he took a chainsaw to a cardboard cutout of Matthew Broderick from the film. And I though Jennifer Aniston was perfect as his obnoxious sister. I seem to be alone in liking this, but I think people are comparing it way too much to the movie. There's no way any TV series could measure up to that. Taken on it own I thought it was a fun TV series.

Sickening rip-off of the hilarious movie.

Author: lartronic from Akron, Ohio.
9 January 2001

If one should see some episodes of this before seeing the actual movie, please don't think the film was this bad. Everything about this show is all wrong, especially the actors, they are in no way as appealing as the ones from the film. The movie was a hilarious spoof of high-school life, this show is just plain terrible. Of course, if you want to throw up...

Nice try. Bad show

Author: studioAT from United Kingdom
4 August 2017

You can't blame them really. With 'Ferris Bueller' being such a hug film (which it still is to this day) you can't blame TV networks for wanting to exploit that in some way.

This TV series version of the film isn't bad, it just pales heavily in comparison, and everyone playing the main roles sadly isn't as good as their film counterparts.

It was a nice idea, it just didn't work.

I don't even Remember this show in 1990!!!

Author: Joel_S from Albany, NY
10 December 2016

Hey I was a kid in 1990 and I don't ever remember this TV series. I remember watching Quantum Leap all the time, plus Home Improvement, Married With Children, and some 80s shows like Cheers and Cosby Show were still on.

My god this looks so cheesy and horrible, even for 1990, and I was a young teenager at the time!! From the clips I've seen, they missed the point of the movie, which was really Cameron's story and how Ferris was trying to help his friend Cameron out of his despair. This TV show seems to be all about a fake super cool kid who dresses like 1984 Miami Vice in 1990, so of course it was going to fail.

Now I do remember Parker Lewis Can't Lose, it was OK and not nearly as cheesy looking as this....still missed the point of the Ferris movie by John Hughes.

Arthur Petrelli?

Author: Vashnyra from United States
26 November 2008

Anyone else notice there's a character on this show named Arthur Petrelli? Don't you think it's more than a coincidence that Cristine Rose (who played Barbara Bueller) now plays a character on Heroes whose husband just so happens to be named... Arthur Petrelli?

Can't say I'm a fan of this TV adaptation of the awesome and culturally significant film "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". This show just seemed too forced and awkward compared to the whip-smart dialog and perfect casting of the movie. The acting trio at the heart of the original film -- Matthew Broderick, Mia Sara and Alan Ruck -- are perfectly balanced and have great chemistry (like William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley were for the original Star Trek). The Ferris TV cast were sadly lacking in this regard.

Perhaps they would have "hit their stride" in a second or possibly third season, but we'll never know. At any rate, I prefer to remember Ferris Bueller as portrayed by the one and only Matthew Broderick. It would be a blast to see him reprise his role as an older (but not wiser) Ferris, married to Sloan with a few kids running around. But then again, maybe some things are better left alone.

Awful mock-up of a classic 80's teen movie

Author: BigWhiskers from United States
9 September 2012

This is not even camp bad . This is just awful with the smart ass Schlatter playing the so called real Ferris Bueller even going so far as to mocking the movie by dissing Matthew Broderick and cutting off the head of a cardboard cutout of Broderick as Ferris Bueller. This tactless dull comedy totally insults the film and the smart alecky Schlatter who is supposedly the real Ferris comes across as an annoying little whiner who needs to have his butt kicked. A young Jennifer Aniston plays his sister Jeannie to the same effect. Why they even produced this show is beyond me ,the movie was terrific and this shames it. Total BOMB.

Blasphemy.

Author: Dr Moo from United Kingdom
11 February 2015

I've given this series 1/10 but I believe this to be too high. But IMDb only permits ratings of between 1 & 10 so I cannot give this the negative score that it so well deserves. If you liked the "classic-doesn't-come-close-to-describing-it" movie then you will hate this and find it as blasphemous as reading the Q'ran in church. It recasts the characters from the greatest movie ever made with lesser actors (not even Jennifer Anniston can save it) and begins with FakeFerris desecrating a promo for the movie in something of a meta-reference to what this TV series does, intentional or not. Only thirteen episodes were ever made and it was cancelled after only twelve had aired (with the thirteenth airing the next year) but they are all so terrible that I'd suggest even one is too many. Whoever was responsible for this should be hunted down and punished for their sins. This is a crime against humanity. AVOID!

hmm

Author: cameron8979
23 February 2002

I had to add my two cents in here. I'm fairly sure that no one was expecting this show to live up to the movie. So don't be surprised if it just doesn't seem like Ferris Bueller. After all, Matthew Broderick is Ferris Bueller, in the same way that Stallone is Rocky, Pat Morita is Mr. Miyagi, and Jaleel White is Urkel. It just isn't Ferris without him and the supporting cast from the movie. While Ami Dolenz and Jennifer Aniston are good looking actresses, they aren't enough to keep my interest for more than one episode.

Sacrilege

Author: the_bill_s_preston_esq from USA
9 December 2001

Ferris Bueller's Day Off was a modern classic. A clever, lovable film. This, on the other hand, just doesn't work. It isn't trying to insult the original, but it can't help it. Don't watch it, and don't worry about it. It was a bad idea which luckily wasn't on the tube very long.