IMDb > "Captain Planet and the Planeteers" (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Captain Planet and the Planeteers"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings
Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

This show had a good message!

Author: gryphon12432 from Greenfield, Mass
6 July 2004

I don't understand you people. This show was meant for children to teach them to respect the environment. You christians who claim that it offends you, get over it. Be accepting of other peoples beliefs, even if they are different. There is already more than enough Christian shows out there.

This show taught me valuable lessons, and as a kid, I never saw any underlying themes, other than to help the planet. It may not have been the best cartoon, but it was one of the few that had a great message, and one of my favorites.

As for political aspects, do you people spend your every waking moment searching cartoons for secret agendas? Get a life! This show may have other agendas, I don't know and I doubt that if it did, anyone who watched it, being a young child, would even notice. This show tried to unite different beliefs, different backgrounds and to show us that we can work together and make a difference. I admit that as an adult, I now see the cliché-ness of the villains, but as a kid I never noticed and I doubt any child would. The message of saving the earth won't even reach every watcher (though it will reach some), let alone all this other junk you are reading into it.

All in all, this was a good show, and I think kids need more shows like it. I wish that all those who disliked it for whatever reason, could at least try to see the good it was trying to do.

"All things are connected...whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth." -Chief Seattle

My own experiences with: "Captain Planet and the Planeteers"

Author: Rita Lemke from Australia
17 March 2006

When I first started watching 'Captain Planet', I was pretty much the ideal target audience; 5 years old, a sympathetic female with innocent cares for the environment, and that 'virgin' mindset that there was always going to be just good, bad and the unfortunate.

Now I'm older and somewhat more corrupted at age 18, I look back to those days and I can honestly say that though it may have been cheesy (the entire 'Go Planeteers!' and similar catchphrases) the cartoons like 'Captain Planet' that I was brought up on were so much more educational and fulfilling then the ones I see today. I know, its a broad generalisation, but the world of commercialism has taken over children's programs, and while I still enjoy cartoons, I can only feel free from the 'buy this' and 'you must have this' craze when I watch ABC TV (no commercials).

This cartoon impacted on my life a lot when I was younger. It made me really care about the environment; not just the cute ponies and flowers, but for every environmental issue that came up on the TV or in the newspaper. I wanted to take on the world.

But back then, there really wasn't a lot of support. There were organisations that supported things like 'Clean up Australia Day', but there was little community or family support for my ideals and as I grew older, I became disillusioned that I could ever make a difference on my own.

And when I reached High School, we were taught about the environment and biology, and I didn't care anymore about the dying world around me. I think we need to have 'important' cartoons like 'Captain Planet' back, because when I was impressionable and making up my own identity during my teenage years, it wasn't there for me and remains only a memory of when I was a little girl.

In any case, its a pity that people today can't try to make something 'worthwhile' to show the kids, to gently expose them to what the world really *is*. If its for the money, why can't they advertise and sell to kids the idea that environmentalism is 'cool' and needed? I mean, its better that telling kids to buy dolls with plastic clothes, in my opinion.

Wow...you guys are harsh!

Author: rfkfreak from New York
5 April 2004

I may be in the minority but I was first introduced to this show once it was on syndication and actually liked it. I never saw the reason to write such an extended response that dealt with the complete and utter negativity of a TV show or movie as I've seen here. It truly is amazing that there are individuals that would sit there and write such elongated responses. Is it political, absolutely. This show is somewhat ahead of its time, as I don't recall a strong effort being made to concern ourselves with the environment at that time. Regardless, I enjoyed it and whereas I have not seen this show in quite a while, I imagine that I'd enjoy it as much as I did in the past were I to see it again.

Hindsight Is Definitely 20/20

Author: Nicholai from Minnesota
7 March 2003

Unlike many of the reviewers here, I'm NOT going denigrate a television show just for the sake of bashing a political ideology. Of course the show is PC, just like "Sesame Street" is PC. It's a CHILDREN'S SHOW -- it needs to be simplified and non-cynical for the consumption of the younger audience. Plus, whether you like it or not, concern for the environment is not a throwaway, frivolous subject to mock. The people of LA had to find out the hard way.

Anyhoo, probably the only reason why I watched this show in the first place was that there was nothing else on at five in the afternoon on Saturdays. Back then, I thought the show was pretty cheesy with very little variations on the plot lines. Yet I still rooted for the Planeteers and was satisfied whenever the bad guys were dealt with.

But now that I'm older and a little bit wiser, I now reserve full appreciation of the cosmic and biblical cheesiness this cartoon had to offer. Whenever I think of the villain, I just wonder what's going through their minds: "Hahahah! I've just wasted precious time and money creating this environmentally unsafe factory, not to make any profits, not even to make a product of any kind, but just for the sake of polluting the planet and p**sing off the Planeteers, hahahahah!" Yeah, that's what most of these villains were thinking in most of the episodes.

Also, I agree with the other reviewers that there were hardly any character growth among the Planeteers, although the tension between Wheeler and Linka had me at least halfway interested.

There were some keeper episodes, like the one where three oppressed persons, an Irish Catholic living in Belfast, a Palestinian, and a black South African were supplied with triggers that will set off nuclear weapons which can then wipe out their adversaries. The Planeteers were dispached to those separate areas and only succeeded in turning around those people by having them experience the *hypothetical* consequences of their actions if they chose to press the button.

Of course, Captain Planet comes to the rescue, digs up the nukes and throws them like discuses towards the sun, which begs the question why didn't he just do that in the first place?

So one and a half stars (* 1/2) our of four for the Planeteers. Protecting the environment is an important thing, but we can do better.

FYI, Ma-Ti's Power of Heart allows him to communicate with the animals, so that in some episodes elephants and giraffes gives Captain Planet a breather and take care of all the dirty work.

Convinced me to recycle...

Author: m-ramsay from United States
25 July 2006

"It was probably only made to teach kids to keep the environment clean." This was posted by a few other people... Duuuhhhh!

I remember watching this as a kid when it first came out. My brother and I enjoyed watching it every week. It may have been repetitive and a little cheesy, but it had a good message.

As far as the show implying that we can't really save the planet, only a superhero can, give me a break. I, at the age of 8, realized that Captain Planet and the Planeteers did not exist in real life and therefore, it really was up to us to help save the planet. I credit this show along with Raffi's Evergreen Everblue album and the movie Ferngully the Last Rainforest as the reason I recycle today.

A little plug for those who want to help the environment a little. Check out the Seventh Generation line of products and click everyday on the website - the rain forest site. :) I hope they decide to put this out on DVD soon!

My favorite animated show

Author: Skippy-9 from Wateringen, Netherlands
27 July 2000

This show was very good in my opinion. The lessons were valuable and there was also a lot of fun in the storylines. Especially the romantic tension between Wheeler and Linka was good, they liked each other but never acted on those feelings. Well... never? Wheeler often tried to approach her and, although she rejected him just as much, she cared for him a great deal. Whenever he was in danger, she freaked out.

This show was excellent in teaching kids and older people how to be an environmentally conscious consumer and they also provided lots of tips for other problems that occur in these days. Though some episodes were less than others, I have enjoyed the entire show very much. I am an adult (having known the show since I was a child) and I still like it.

A great message for kids. Content wasn't intended to hold an adult's attention

Author: abbiesmommy from United States
14 August 2005

I watched this series when it originally came out. I think this show contained a lot of great messages for children, and they were able to present them in a way that was visually stimulating for the children and could hold their attention. I frown on adults who are too hard on the delivery style of this series. Kudos to network executives, like Ted Turner, who take a chance on a show like this. There were lessons on subjects such as smoking, drugs, stealing, lying, and obviously not polluting the environment. It obviously wasn't looked down on by everyone. It ran for more than a couple of seasons, which speaks volumes for a show. There were a lot of great actors whose voices turned up on this show. I miss watching it, and I'd love for my six-year-old daughter to be able to experience it. She'd love it!

Good show

Author: Catherine_Grace_Zeh from Fairfax, Virginia, USA
14 July 2006

I used to watch this show when I was a little girl. I only remember it vaguely, though. If you ask me, it was a good show. I remember the opening sequence and theme song vaguely, too. In addition to that, everyone was ideally cast. Also, the writing was very strong. The performances were top-grade, too. I hope some network brings it back so I can see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I don't think I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, if some network ever brings it back, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.

Well...

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
13 May 2013

"Captain Planet" is one of those shows that many viewers used to watch as kids, but despise or mock as adults ( A similar things happens with the original "Power Rangers" series, which I'm sure that if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor, it would have been entirely forgotten by this time. Of course, I know that there are some people who still enjoy watching series like this, and that's perfectly fine, but I'm sure that even the most devoted fan of cartoons like this one is perfectly able to see how incredibly cheesy this series was.) Compared with other Nineties cartoons such as "Batman: The Animated Series", "Gargoyles" and "X-Men", "Captain Planet" hasn't aged very well: The animation is poor, the characters were flat and uninteresting (Both the heroes and villains) and most of its main features had a notoriously "dated" feeling on them.

Despite the fact that the ecological message is still relevant today, the way in which serious issues such as drug addiction, intolerance and racial violence left too much to be desired. Even for a kid's show, the writing was pretty lame and terribly uninspired.

That being said, I don't really hate this cartoon. I mean, I don't like it either, but I think that is not really different to many other equally forgettable cartoons from the eighties and nineties (Like for example "Turbo Teen", "It's Punky Brewster" and the "Darkstalkers" American cartoon from 1995)In many ways, it was just a product of its time, which wouldn't work very well today. Hey, I'm not even sure if it really worked back then, but this kind of extremely politically correct stuff was pretty common in kid's shows from the previous decades, when children were much less spoiled and also more impressionable. I miss so much those days.

Not as Bad as Its Reputation Suggests

Author: TheExpatriate700 from United States
20 May 2014

Captain Planet and the Planeteers, if it is referenced at all nowadays, is generally treated as a subject of mockery. Online reviewers such as the Nostalgia Critic have shredded it relentlessly, depicting it as a hopelessly ideological cartoon that nobody enjoyed. The show did sometimes bite off more than it could chew, but it also managed to be entertaining and, yes, educational.

The show's premise is familiar to most people. Gaia, the spirit of the Earth, gives five elemental power rings to an international group of teenagers in order to fight pollution. When they going gets tough, they can summon Captain Planet, an anti-pollution superhero. Each episode deals with a different environmental theme, ranging from smog to extinction to...gang violence.

The show worked best when it stuck to environmental themes. At times, the writers became overambitious and tried to deal with more fraught topics such as AIDS and gang warfare. These episodes almost inevitably fell flat, coming across as ham handed and even more preachy than the series usually was. One episode on gang violence was particularly awful, with the gangs depicted as something out of a bad 80s Mad Max rip off.

Nevertheless, the show served a purpose. It was often brutally honest in its treatment of environmental topics, within the limits of a show geared towards children. For instance, one show dealing with whaling featured a sequence of a mother whale being harpooned, complete with blood getting spilled in the water. This type of straight talk was a good thing and left viewers not only entertained, but informed. Perhaps even willing to take action.

For all its flaws, Captain Planet remains a well remembered series for me.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]