IMDb > The Women of Brewster Place (1989) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Women of Brewster Place (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Excellent

Author: tbabe29 from SF Bay Area, CA
27 July 2003

Every time I see that this movie is on TV again, I get SUCKED IN every time and have to watch it to the end!

It does such a great job communicating about a culture that I know so little about. I feel like I was invited in-it is so painfully real.

The writing, the acting and the directing is so well done. It also feels like a play.

It's honest. 9/10

The Women Of Brewster's Place Is A Must See!

Author: LadyPhenomena from United States
26 July 2013

This movie is phenomenal. The entire cast plays a major role in this film by individually impacting viewers in various scenes throughout this television drama. Opray Winfrey gives an outstanding performance. Mothers all over the world can relate to her in this production. This film is sensational because of the directors' ability to depict a particular culture before millions watching in a very tasteful and true-to-life way. During some of the scenes you could actually feel raw emotion and that type of acting is not easy to master. I wish I could bottle it! As a producer myself, I look for such dynamics, which is uncommon.--The*LadyPhenomena*Show{Andrea*LadyPhenomena*Stephens}

This Movie Deals With Everything Controversial!

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
14 April 2012

This movie deals with each and every controversial topic you could think of during that time period. Abuse. Teenage pregnancy. Lesbianism. Rape. Ciel had an abortion. The husband that she had was hateful. Then the baby she already had suddenly died. Oprah's character was beat horribly by Paul Winfield's character until mother Mary Alice tried to shoot him. Then Oprah's son got sent to jail. There was a lady who had a house full of children with no father. The lesbian woman almost beat an innocent old man to death for no reason. There were many other controversial topics in this movie, but there were too many to list here.

A good interpretation of Naylor's novel...

Author: jimmyplm from Chapel Hill, NC
14 December 2000

I read the novel in my college African-American literature class and loved it. When I saw the movie version, I was very happy with the way it was done. Jackee steals the movie with her presentation of Etta Mae. Oprah does a good job as well. This movie stayed really close to the plot of the story. If you want to read the book, but don't have the time, you could probably just watch this movie and pick up on everything that is crucial. A-

Excellent movie. Jackee shines over Oprah!

Author: anonymous from ohio
25 May 1999

Excellent drama about a group of women living in an apartment building. This explores all their lives and shows how everyone is struggling through something. jackee comes out the best! This movie is dramatic, hilarious and heartbreaking. Such lines as "You shoulda thoughta that before you started breeding em like roaches!" and Jackee's one liners during the tenants meeting had me laughing out loud. Highly recommended!!!!!!