IMDb > Winter People (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Winter People

Winter People More at IMDbPro »

One of the more compelling movies.....

Author: rpulsifer from United States
4 January 2005

While I won't go to the hyperbole of this being the best film ever, it is certainly one of the more satisfying. The fact that you can tell a compelling human story without overwhelming the audience with action (and I like action flicks as well as anyone) is noteworthy. It is not your typical story - it's got real conflict, real relationships (both good and bad), and a sense of authenticity that is lacking in many films. The setting is not one that is common, although it would be contemporary with 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. It sheds some light on a part of the country that is not familiar to most of us. It reflects some thought in fleshing out real characters, instead of relying on portraying stereotypical backwoods people. While many of the actors have gone on to other roles, the movie retains the allure of watching real people. It should be considered a high mark in the careers of both Kurt Russell and Kelly McGillis. It is one of those rare movies that I appreciate watching each time.

Heart breaking...

Author: anonymous from California, U.S.A.
11 April 1999

This is a film that took me by surprise. Impressive in its delicate sensiblity of the human emotions. This is best illustrated at Kurt Russell's outburst when one of his clocks is destroyed. Well directed and well acted. One of Russell's best acting performances. Not an action film, or anything to really rock you in your seat but a powerful human story. A+

Strong characters the focus of this exciting drama

Author: fertilecelluloid from Mountains of Madness
6 January 2006

Deceptively marketed as a "Deliverance" retread, it has, in fact, more in common with Peter Weir's "Witness" and Richard Pearce's "Heartland". Kurt Russell plays Wayland Jackson, a humble widower who begins a new life with his daughter in North Carolina. When he meets and falls in love with Collie Wright (Kelly McGilis), he must prove his mettle to her father (Lloyd Bridges) and deal with local animosity towards him.

Director Ted Kotcheff, who also made "First Blood", "Uncommon Valor" and the brilliant "Split Image", a scathing look at a religious sect, brings his considerable experience with personal politics to this well made, beautifully acted, snow-bound drama.

The film's last act is where the violence flares and the stage is set for several bloody, taut altercations. The film, however, never loses sight of its personal story and focuses closely on the courage and resilience of good, honest folk.

John Scott's score is hypnotic.

Excellent Acting,Very Touching Story

Author: soblessed from Ohio, U.S.A
17 March 2005

I just watched this movie and what a well-spent evening!Thoroughly enjoyable.I can think of no flaws whatever with this film. The scenery is beautiful as well. Another plus.I can't imagine anyone not being pleased with their experience in seeing this film. It has drama,romance and wonderful relationship studies,and development.

I don't know what else to say without rambling! I can't believe IMDb insists that you must meet a minimum required amount of sentences to post a comment,SHEEZ! Just be sure not to pass this one up if you get a chance to see it. Fotunately my library had it. I don't remember ever hearing of it before.

Intelligent backwoods drama.....

Author: merklekranz from United States
12 February 2008

Kurt Russell and Kelly McGillis give believable performances in this rural drama. Tremendous North Carolina atmosphere and a fine score add immensely to the film. Some may find it a bit slow, but those willing to watch and listen, will be rewarded. "Winter People" does not follow any typical feuding families formula, but carves new ground, with sacrifice instead of shoot outs. Anyone expecting a "Deliverance" clone would be advised to seek out "Hunter's Blood" and leave "Winter People" to those who appreciate a quieter, more thought provoking movie. Definitely recommended for couples viewing as there is enough depth to maintain interest for everyone. - MERK

Wonderful Story

Author: skeeter70 from United States
29 April 2006

I live here where they filmed the movie and I thought it was wonderful, the story was a wonderful setting for a romance and I thought the way they met and grew to love one another was outstanding. Even though the murder took place it showed what all they were willing to sacrifice for love. The way the family takes him in as a part of them at the beginning except for one brother and the way he begins to trust him is even as touching. The bear hut I thought was true to life as everyone here has mostly been and the producers and directors kept it true to life. We had a couple of our own hometown folks in the movie, the older men on the porch of the store, added more depth and made us proud. I guess in some ways we are portrayed as "bumpkins" still but I guess in a lot of ways we are and it shows how we live here... or families are all close and loving, never turn our back on our loved ones and I like how the movie shows us.

One of My Top 10

Author: Donna Garbus from United States
19 July 2007

This was a surprisingly wonderful movie. I love the mountains, and the way these people lived was incredibly awesome.

This story makes me feel like going to the highest mountains to live. The actors were perfect for each part.

The way these folks dealt with real life was real justice. They did it the way it should be done.

The way they tracked down all the evidence was amazing. Their skills were uncanny.

At the end, GODS hand turned even the hardest heart into a soft one.

The decency was there, and things were as they should be.

If you haven't seen this movie, please take time to watch it. It is GREAT.

Realistic portrayal of the land and people

Author: echurch from Greensboro, NC
5 December 2001

This movie was filmed near my hometown in the Western North Carolina mountains in a little community called Plumtree in Avery County. The severe winter weather depicted in the film is like it really is. The elevation here is about 3500 feet and the area gets enough snow to support a large snow skiing industry.

Start w/ a pot of strong coffee

Author: Sax from Chico, CA
5 February 2008

After 1:07, to be exact, and all that time, the story was weak, the lines were unrealistic, accents poor, characters unestablished buy two great actors, at that, finding it very hard to make some good out of what they had to work with, misc. were bad, it finally started getting interesting. Not a complete waste of time, but I almost killed it at 25 minutes, then started skipping till it got half way descent. I would not recommend this movie for 2 hrs of your life, unless it's all you got to watch up in a cabin; Snowed in. It's been done before. Same story at least a dozon times. I see a lot of people wrote good things about it, so don't take my opinion too seriously. It might have something I missed, that made it good. I just couldn't take anymore of the what the first 25 min. had to offer.

The Greatest Movie Hollywood has Ever Churned Out

Author: (luckylefty28@cs.com)
23 November 2000

If only I could live with those clans from that small quaint valley. This film takes me back to a time and lifestyle that some of my ancestors may have experienced. I would have passed the time hunting bears and growing crops. The complex Christian symbolism woven throughout the movie makes it a must see for all of mankind. You will never find better acting or scenery in any film. If you have time to see one movie before you taking the big dirt nap you should watch this drama.