IMDb > When Harry Met Sally... (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
When Harry Met Sally...

When Harry Met Sally... More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 28: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Not to miss

Author: bsinc from Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 December 2002

What a great movie. The dialogues between Harry and Sally are extremely funny and interesting, they're basically everything that I like to think and talk about with my best friend. Who is a guy, and not a girl, a thing that is perfectly explained in the movie by Billy Crystal. Except for the dark side thing his character is somebody I really relate to, we just think alike. Great acting, great music, great dialogues(especially by Crystal who, at moments looks like Jerry Seinfeld;I don't know if i's those white sneakers or the dialogues:) and a bunch of very funny jokes make this movie a must see for everyone. Oh and a nice touch with those scenes where old married couples explain the (sometimes almost unbelievable) circumstances in which they met. Old people had "Casablanca", this is a movie for the younger generations. And you don't even need the hankies. 9/10

I'll have what Reiner was directing in the 80's

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
15 September 2015

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

My favorite Rob Reiner film has always been When Harry Met Sally, a romantic comedy that I never expected to enjoy as much as I did. It's the best Woody Allen film not directed by Woody Allen. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal's quirky chemistry in this movie is probably one of the best I've seen in any film. Reiner is a director that is hard to categorize since he has worked with different genres: thriller with Misery, fantasy/adventure with The Princess Bride, coming of age with Stand by Me, mockumentary with This is Spinal Tap, drama with A Few Good Men, and comedy with The Bucket List. He's made his share of bad films (his latest films are probably his weakest), but he seems to have excelled in every genre without establishing a common trademark. You could watch When Harry Met Sally back to back with Misery and you'd never guess it was directed by the same person. The secret to his success with this rom-com is that the relationship feels true to life as he first introduces these flawed characters that don't seem to care too much for each other, but over the years they begin bonding and establishing a strong friendship. These characters are so relatable and we can see ourselves or our friends in the film. It reminds us of that friend of the opposite sex we had and how easy it was to blur the line between friendship and love. It makes us think of that universal question: Can a man and a woman be best friends without falling in love with each other? A lot of credit must be given to Nora Ephron's Oscar nominated screenplay because the dialogue and debates between the main characters are authentic and sharp at the same time. There are so many memorable scenes, including the fake orgasm which turned Meg Ryan into such a star, but the final tear jerking scene is my favorite because Billy Crystal delivered his lines in such a perfect way. Even the scenes where old couples are being interviewed in documentary style works perfectly and serves a purpose other than simply serving as transitions taking place in the story. The honesty that comes through in each conversation between Harry and Sally and the incredible chemistry between them is what makes this one of my go to films when it comes to recommending a romantic movie. Did I mention that the film takes place in New York of all places?

Can Men & Women Be Friends Or Does Sex Always Get In The Way?

Author: CinemaClown
25 September 2014

From the director of Stand by Me, The Princess Bride & A Few Good Men, When Harry Met Sally is an elegantly crafted, cleverly composed & wonderfully narrated romance comedy that raises a pretty interesting question of if a man & a woman can just remain friends without sex coming in their way and also covers many other fascinating ideas about relationships with a zestful spirit & endless charm.

The story of When Harry Met Sally follows its titular characters from the time they finish school & share a cross-country drive to New York City to the next 12 years or so when they keep bumping into each other on chance encounters, eventually become friends & try to help each other through the various hardships of their respective lives while unaware of the mutual feelings they have for each other.

Amazingly well-directed by Rob Reiner, the film exhibits an immense charm from start to finish and also includes many brief segments of old couples telling us how they met each other which leaves a flavour of its own plus acts as a filler in between the various time leaps its story takes. Written by Nora Ephron, the various concepts of relationships are nicely presented with enough wit to keep it fresh in the viewers' conscious without halting its entertainment.

Cinematography covers many beautiful locations in Manhattan which contrasts with the colourless lives its characters have been living, editing keeps the narrative smoothly flowing & the music department makes excellent choices in the selection of songs. Coming to the performances, both Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan are very impressive in their given roles and their on-screen chemistry feels incredibly natural & is sizzling with passion at the same time.

On an overall scale, it's been 25 years since When Harry Met Sally was released on the big screen and yet, its magic hasn't diminished by one bit plus it continues to age like wine. Featuring one of cinema's most notable sequences followed by an even more memorable punchline, When Harry Met Sally is a film for the ages that will remain relevant no matter how many generations pass by it. Delightfully recommended.

This movie has one of the best conversations ever.

Author: braddugg from India
20 September 2014

This movie has one of the best conversations ever.

The best part its like the icing on the cake and while the cake is just the temptation to have, we have a delicious taste of a fine icing. And all through it asks one pertinent question that can a man and a woman be friends without the sex coming in between.

We all beautiful movies, romantic movies and we shall surely love this one coz it's both beautiful and romantic. It's romantic and it speaks for the most part about sex and then later on to the small things that we surely appreciate about the other person. It's the small things that make the big picture of life and those are shown beautifully like Sally ordering a dish at a restaurant. Also, this one has of the best embarrassing moments in cinema that is Sally faking an orgasm in a restaurant and situation of Harry. Immediately the woman on the other table tells "I'll have what she's having".

Screenplay by Nora Ephron is just wonderful; the poignancy is maintained by bringing in elderly couples that have held on to each other for years and letting us know how they had met or got convinced to tie the knot.

More than anything it simply works because of the chemistry between the two leads. Bill Crystal (Harry) and Meg Ryan (Sally) are wonderful in their roles. It's a treat to let them be the characters and giving them space and time to know each other, to understand and then realize what they truly need.

It's 4/5 for a cinema that celebrates romance but it in a funny way.

A Sad Statement on Relationship

Author: Geoffrey DeLeons from United States
30 April 2014

I thought this movie was terrible. I watched it once, many years ago, on cable, but this time, I only lasted up until the scene where they were walking in the park and she evidently was allowing him to become a part of her life. There was no character development in the movie. Who are these two people? What are their dreams, their history? Why are they together? It seems that neither of them have any solid identity. Maybe that is their greatest commonality.

I did get the impression that Sally was somewhat enthusiastic about life. What, in the world, did she see in him? I was trying to look at Harry psychologically, but could not come up with any specific pathology, but some warped blend of anhedonia and delusions of grandeur. Crystal sounds like he is reading all his lines does not help things, and this give the movie a droning tempo. The fact that his character expects his assuming, pompous and otherwise rude nature to earn him friends and lovers is bad enough. When relatively-normal but easily-influenced Sally started actually accepting Harry's depressive confrontationalism, I could see where the movie was heading. I loved Billy Crystal in City Slickers and Meg Ryan was great in Addicted To Love, but When Harry Met Sally reminded me of The Mirror Has Two Faces, in that it inadvertently explores the issue of women settling for less in a relationship and allowing themselves to be there-by abused. I am frankly offended by When Harry Met Sally, and can only imagine how the movie would have run if Meg Ryan's character had stood her ground and demanded more: More than Harry, as well as the putz she was with at the airport.

Fantastic

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
19 April 2014

Fantastic, funny, moving, feel-good romantic-comedy. Unlike many romantic-comedies, doesn't get overly bogged down in sentimentality. Despite the high emotional content, the movie glides along effortlessly.

Well written. Good plot and the dialogue is intelligently funny and couldn't be more snappy.

Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan were perfectly cast as Harry and Sally. The chemistry between them was spot-on and contributes enormously to the watchability of the movie.

I'm generally not a fan of Meg Ryan, as she tends to act in vapid romantic dramas, but she is great here. Billy Crystal is very well known in comedy circles, but here he gets to shine in a more serious role.

One Of The Greatest In It's Genre

Author: donuthaters12
10 December 2013

At one point in everyone's life, they are able to show some sort of soft spot for films like these. When Harry Met Sally is the film that stand out against it's competitors and was able to stick with me with multiple viewings. I adore this film and the film was able to draw out certain emotions from me, which is rare in romantic comedies, that it blinds me from watching this film objectively. This is a prime example of a film that defines the genre it belongs to.

Nora Ephron is regarded by some as the greatest writer for romantic-comedy/drama films. I have not seen all of her films but so far I hold When Harry Met Sally as her magnum opus. Ephron has written a story that explores the concept of friendship between man and woman, the role of sex in relationships, and the basic construct of a man and a woman. The film examines the role of fate in love, showing that people self sabotages or be in situations that destroys relationships in order to be with the love of their life at the end of the story. The choice of having New York was a great choice as it allowed the theme of fated love to be much more effective. Dialogue in this film is a stand out because it's what drives the characters in this film, because neither characters have any strong intentions to be with the other for the bulk of the film. The dialogue, and also the strength of the actors, deliver the comedy of the film and it gets me every time because it felt natural and was also able to come off as sweet and endearing.

Rob Reiner, from his first feature film "This is Spinal Tap" and to "A Few Good Men", has made a string of very well made films and sometimes it's hard to choose which one is his best of the bunch. Reiner wanted the film to be very optimistic, which made it so accessible, and he has made something that is so natural and relatable. The film can appeal to people searching for love, allowing us to understand or think that there is a much larger work going on in finding it, or to people who have already found it. Reiner did not allow the film to really show the other people that Harry or Sally have dated and how these people are not for them, instead the director just has these characters talk to each other about it allowing the film to spend more time with these characters together. The film has the ability to have us be attached to these characters. I love that the film takes it's time with the characters', allowing them to grow and allow us to see the growth of the maturity of the relationship/friendship and the personal maturity of these characters. I was very glad that Reiner didn't congest the film in humor and allowed it to feel organic instead, like it could come out of our own mouths too. I also adore that the film's humor is driven more by the characters and the conversations that takes place rather than the story or the use of physical humor, aside from the diner scene. The film, even in multiple viewings, doesn't lose it's genuine touch which is why it is one of my favorite films of all time.

Barry Sonnenfeld as the director of photography for the film was a good choice by Reiner. Sonnenfeld was able to connect with Reiner's vision for the film capturing the relationship between these characters through a long period of time with such accessibility and optimism. Sonnenfeld wants shots to be a bit stretched out in order to get the most out of the scene and allowing the actors to feel more natural and not just act in service to the story. Because the film is focused more on it's characters rather than the environment they are in, preventing the film from feeling like flashy and pretty though at times there are a few beautiful wide shots of New York like on the winter and autumn seasons.

The film is soundtrack driven rather than a score driven film and I thought this was a great decision because Reiner chose songs that keep in tone with one another and the tone of the film. The songs are usually big band type of songs which was able to project a sort of class that other films lack. This though has made a big impact on future films/TV shows set in New York.

Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal demonstrated amazing chemistry as they both look and play roles that clearly show in paper that they are meant to be together. Both actors deliver their lines so naturally that certain moments can allow us to really relate to conversations and events in our own lives. Crystal's humor may not appeal to everyone but in my opinion it really worked here, he wasn't too over the top and instead of being the center of attention on screen, he was able to share it with Ryan which supports in making the film amazing. It's nice to see Carrie Fisher do something great instead of the Star Wars franchise. Fisher has amazing comedic timing and she doesn't try to distract us from the lead characters. This also applies to Bruno Kirby who has moments that just has you laughing.

When Harry Met Sally is one of the greatest of it's genre and it contains such likable leads and played by actors that are able to drive the film forward. Ephron has written an accessible and relatable script and Reiner has crafted a brilliant film that enhances the themes that drives Ephron's script. This is a film that I would recommend to everyone due to it's universal themes.

An Review

Author: cledorurun
21 October 2013

This movie describes the relationship of a man and woman named Harry and Sally. When first they meet at their university, they had bad impressions each other, but the more they meet and talk, they come to be friends. Since then, they go round for many years just as friends, however, one day at a new year's dance, their relation starts to change…

The main theme of this movie, "Can a man and woman become real friends?" is a really difficult problem. At the beginning of story, Harry and Sally both have another lover. At first Harry and Sally see each other as her friend's lover and not as object of feeling of love. And I was fussed but enjoyed the way of their feelings change but can't take a step because of their high pride while and after I watch this story. Not only the two, their friends, Jess and Marie is also charming. They hold each other dear and also are concerned about Harry and Sally. They are admirable as a couple and friends!

Iconic rom-com

Author: SnoopyStyle
24 September 2013

Written by Nora Ephron and directed by Rob Reiner, this has become the flag bearer of all rom-coms.

Harry (Billy Crystal) and Sally (Meg Ryan) first meet when she gives him a ride to New York after they both graduate from the University of Chicago. They have a spirited and cantankerous debate. They would keep bumping into each other over the years until finally they have to decide whether they can just be friends, or if they can be more.

This movie ask the big question. Can a man and a woman just be friends? It has some of the most iconic scenes of all times, and none is bigger than the fake orgasm scene. Billy Crystal is quick and smart. It shows on screen and gives reason to why Sally would fall for Harry. At the time, Meg Ryan is about to start her rein as the rom-com queen. She is at maximum cuteness, and quick enough to play with Billy Crystal and Rob Reiner.

Pretty good -- but episodic -- love/hate/love story

Author: vincentlynch-moonoi from United States
21 August 2013

I'm not sure why I never caught this move before...after all. it's been out there for 24 years. But, I'm glad I did. It's not a GREAT movie, but it's a very good movie.

I know. Some of you are upset that I don't think it's great. I'm not totally into what I'll refer to as "episodic movies". I like a movie that flows. And this one really didn't. Various episodes were punctuated by old couples briefly telling how they met. I enjoyed those little vignettes between episodes...but I just don't like episodicness (and yes, I know that's not a word).

Now, aside from that, it's a good movie. Boy meets girl. Boy and girl grate on each other. Boy and girl keep running into each other every few years. Eventually boy and girl fall in love, but not until they've annoyed the hell out of each other every once in a while. And every once in a while along the way, there's a heckuva funny line.

There are really only 4 actors worth mentioning here. To begin with, Billy Crystal as the male lead. I'd forgotten he was once young; like back when he was on "Soap". But what I found interesting about his performance was that in terms of phrasing, he's still sorta the same. Meg Ryan...well, I've come to like her as an actress, but I never really noticed her until 4 years later in "Sleepless In Seattle". Here...well, she's an actress...but not quite Meg Ryan, yet. Here, I was not overly impressed with her as the female lead. Carrie Fisher is her best friend, and does nicely. She's pleasant enough, but not good enough to have maintained her star status from "Star Wars". Bruno Kirby was pretty good as the best friend's husband and pal to Crystal. He had a period of playing this sort of role rather well.

It's interesting to watch this Rob Reiner film in what would have been his formative years.

So for me, this film doesn't set the world on fire, but it's pretty good.