IMDb > Weekend at Bernie's (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Weekend at Bernie's

Weekend at Bernie's More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

A rather funny tale about two buddies and a corpse.

Author: Aaron1375
14 February 2010

This film had its moments and at times was very humorous. The story has to losers who are looking for a break and think they have found it when they uncover some expenses that are being siphoned out of the company they work for. Well it turns out their boss who they report this to is the one doing the removal of the money. He acts like their buddy and that they did a great job and proceeds to invite them to his beach house where he intends to have them both killed. However, the one who ends up whacked is the boss himself. Well the guys find there boss in the dead state and the goofball one proceeds to play like the boss is still alive just to enjoy the beach house a bit more. However, they soon discover that the boss intended to kill them and they think that as long as they keep the boss around and make it out that he is alive the would be assassin will not try to kill them. Many jokes in this film involve just battering the hell out of the two guys' former boss' corpse. However, the movie takes a bit to get to this point and at times the premise is stretched a bit to thin, but for the most part the film stays funny. The cast is rather good in this one as Andrew McCarthy is rather good in his role as the more slacker friend. Johnathon Silverman is his usual self too. No one else of real note stars in this movie, however the guy who did Bernie was rather good when he was alive and dead.

Simply put, a terrific movie!

Author: dan_c99 from United States
29 August 2009

Still funny all these years later. A classic in my house....

Terry Kiser was a very funny actor, too bad he died so young. And the other two guys in the film were very good as well.

Believe it or not, this was directed by the same guy who directed the first Rambo movie, Ted Kotcheff. Pretty wide range of talent, eh?

The scenes on the boat were some of the best. And the look of the film is classic 80's, a period I really miss.

Movies were much simpler and much better back then, and this is another example.

Quite an interesting comment on that shallow, materialistic lifestyle and the 2-dimensional people that lived it.

But today, a lot of young people are even worse. pretty sad...

Refreshing Sea Breath

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
14 August 2008

Actually it's not me to write titles as simple as that, but I can't help it, this movie is wonderful like a day on the beach. It begins with a very hot day, and I was just watching it at one hot summer. Its atmosphere is so light, like a real weekend yet for only an hour and a half.

There is something innocent, charming, and so nostalgic about the 1980s. I don't know exactly, but definitely it was aesthetically nicer and calmer. It's my nature to love that polished painting with all its sweet tinges out of those day's movies. God, what's about the 1980s to adore it like that? Hmm.. I'll look to the enjoyable little movie to understand..

There is intensive sense of beauty all over it, like the bright colors of the sets or the swim suits, and the bodies in the swim suits as well !, so the sightly villa (great presence for the sea in the background most of the time). Look at the apartment of the 1960s' décor too, it got some snug decision. Even (Catherine Mary Stewart) herself, she was representing perfectly the 1980s' beauty as tender and too cute, (just like 'Cynthia Gibb' from the same era) you can say that again about her shape, haircut, and of course clothes, I'm a crazy person when it comes to the 1980s' vivid modes, so how about seeing her into that dazzling swim suit, I think.. It's only in the 1980s !

Plus, there was: no dirty jokes, bad tasting, and no nastiness. Truly this movie looks genius to make a pure laughable time through what's supposed to be dark element, and without the usual tons of filthiness of our very own age where whenever you're about to watch a comedy you must think abusive !

The script handled it well as for a 90 min movie. It was good and plain. They consumed all the possible situations yet without extension or any huge ambitions demand huger budget. One of the best ideas was that desperate killer whom kills the same target again and again to watch him alive and kicking afterwards every time. However there was some kind of straying before the climax, as we were watching a chase of unseen killer ! In a long sequence without even music?, moreover knowing everything through the recorded phone call, that was easy to a cheesy extent !, and finally I didn't quite like (or catch on) the successful sex with the dead man ?!

(Jonathan Silverman) and (Andrew McCarthy) made a fine job, but they weren't that charismatic, nor that creatively comedians. (Terry Kiser) was maybe half of the show as Mr. scene stealer all along. He totally mastered it as a dead-man in-a-comedy, only to compete with (Vincent Gardenia) in the great comedy (Fire Sale - 1977). I think (Kiser) here was something all the method acting's schools must watch and learn. I loved, the most, the last scene, it was hilarious and epitomized the whole thing gracefully.

Maybe one of the movie's secrets is that great chance which it gives you to live the ultimate revenge on your boss (the one who conspired to have you killed !).

In one week, I watched (Superman 3 - 1983), (Police Academy 6 - 1989), (Short Circuit 2 - 1988), then (Weekend at Bernie's - 1989). It is heaven already for one of the eighties lovers. And if you're not, just watch (Weekend..) in a summer day with your fan turned on, and believe me, you'll feel the sea breath coming out of the screen to cool you off.

The worst thing about it is that after finishing it I would come back to my usual life which's close to Bernie's one.. And I do mean the last silent one.

fairly amusing black comedy which could have been better(which is where the sequel comes in)

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
29 April 2007

this movie is not too bad.it's a black comedy that is entertaining and certainly amusing.without giving it away,Bernie is a rich guy,who ends up dead,yet still manages to be the life of the party,literally,thanks to two best friends(Andrew McCarthy,Jonathon Silverman)who also work or rather--worked for Bernie.i won't sat any more about the plot.if you want to know more,you'll have to watch the movie to find out.being a black comedy,the movie is entertaining and quite amusing at times,though not drop dead funny.(sorry, i couldn't resist)this is of course the point in this type of movie,to be wryly amusing and even ironic at times.i liked it quite a bit,though it could have been better,given the premise.there is so much rich material they could have mined,in my opinion.and while it doesn't quite reach its potential,it's still worth watching.Both McCarthy and Silverman are good in the roles as sort of an "Odd Couple" type.Richard(Silverman)is more strait laced and conservative,while Larry(McCarthy)is a slacker interested in having fun,more than anything else.Catherine Mary Stewart is very good in her supporting role.i only wish she had a larger role.but it is very clear she is very talented.however it is Terry Kiser as Bernie,who steals the show.who knew a dead guy could be so amusing.all in all,a good,not great movie.it spawned a sequel,which is much better,in my opinion.if you like this movie,i highly recommend part 2.as for this movie,I'd give it a 7/10.

TV commercial/trailer as funny as movie

Author: hugedeal from United States
21 January 2006

I remember what made me go see this movie (which I found hilarious)was the as funny commercial on TV when it was released. It was a summer release just prior to the 4th of July. McCarthy and Silverman stood on each side of a beach chair holding the obviously dead Hawain shirt clad Bernie with a lit sparkler in each hand, arms folded across his chest.Bernie begins to slide,sparklers and all slowly to the floor as they smiled and talked of what a fun 4th experience it would be to come see the movie. It loses some in the translation here but if you have seen the movie you will understand. I new with morbid humor like this I had to see the movie and was well rewarded. If this is on DVD I hope the commercial is included.

Get your pink sports coat and converse sneakers out.

Author: splitbolt32 from United States
29 October 2005

Bernie's beach house is party central to the most bizarre of the rich, excessive, shallow, 80's party hard culture, and the goal on everyone's mind is to be just like Bernie: dead drunk!

A rare weekend in a lavish paradise is worth the effort of two losers giving a corpse a parlor trick pulse for a little while. The only problem is that it's pulled it off so well, that even the murderers themselves think the dead guy is still alive!

It's not an 80's classic like The Breakfast Club. A Weekend At Bernie's is simply a goofy movie to kill 2 hours, but it's nowhere near the group of bad movies like "Baby Geniuses".

Enjoyable farce

Author: MAUREEN from Philadelphia, PA
15 April 2004

This is a humorous movie with a simple premise and some slapstick. 2 young associates at an insurance company report a costly mistake in the firm's accounting books to top executive Bernie Lomax. Bernie lives lavishly and is secretly responsible for bilking the company's money. He invites the 2 young men to his Hamptons beach house for a big party and asks the mob to knock them off for him. The mob is not happy with Bernie's behavior and decide to knock off Bernie instead.

The movie has originality and some very humorous moments. Even if a gag falls flat, there's usually one coming up that more than compensates for it.

However, I don't think Silverman and McCarthy are the best comedians for their roles. They do a decent job, but they are not the funniest. I think Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell would have been fantastic and the right age in 1989 when the film was released. Of course, who knows where they were back then!

Overall, I still recommend this film.

Wickedly erudite comedy

Author: (LRonCupboard@aol.com) from Scotland, above Britain
6 April 2004

Combining all the elements of Rabelaisian farce and a sub-text alluding to the decline of the Victorian British Empire (dragging a dead body called Bernie, I love it!) "Weekend at Bernie`s" is a tour-de-force, a witty, sizzling near-teen comedy taking pot-shots at the establishment. From the opening scenes filmed at the actual site of the Hoover Dam to the conclusion in the Serengheti, WAB is a relentless stream of Wildean bon mots and a purposively futile invective against "the man". Despite eschewing the comedic device of including either Cheech or Chong it still is salient in the Noughties. People still have bosses who die, beach house parties carry on and large nations still protect their oil resources by invading non-warring nations while ignoring noble causes. Best quote "Rwanda, I don`t know any Rwanda. Is she the chick with the big knockers?". While still not standing up well to WAB II I give this a 7 out of ten

I actually enjoy this movie...ALOT!

Author: mamamiasweetpeaches from New York, NY
14 January 2004

People think Im crazy but I really enjoyed WEEKEND AT BERNIES. In fact, I've seen it at least halff a dozen times. Its a little silly, but I always find myself laughing when I watch it. Johnathon Silverman and Andrew McCarthy have never been more likable and they play off eachother quite well. They are two working stiffs who are trying to somehow get in good with the boss,Bernie. This of course backfires with Bernie wanting to have them killed. Instead its Bernie who gets offed and the guys find the body. They fool everyone into thinking Bernies still alive by propping him up and such and this leads to some very funny sight gags. No,its not logical AT All, but it IS funny. I know this movie probably doesnt top many peoples lists, but I always find myslef laughing my way through it during repeated viewings so it must be good for something.

Oh man, you're going to love this...

Author: Dr. Gore (drgore@hotmail.com) from Los Angeles, California
22 September 2003

*SPOILER ALERT* *SPOILER ALERT*

OK. Here's the deal. These two guys want to progress up the corporate ladder right? So they do some investigating on their company's performance. They stumble upon some interesting information and tell their boss Bernie all about it. Bernie is so pleased that he invites them to spend the weekend with him to talk it over. Hence, "Weekend at Bernie's".

Wait! There's more! So our two heroes go out to the Hamptons to hang with Bernie. Here's the funny part. It turns out Bernie is trying to set up the murder of these two guys but instead he gets murdered himself! HAHAHAHA! Wait, wait! Here comes the main joke! When the two guys get there, they don't realize Bernie is dead. So they talk and hang out with him as if he were alive! AH-HAHAHAHAHA! Then a roaming party comes in and no one can comprehend that he's dead! WA-HAHAHAHA!! That's the joke! Bernie is dead! DEAD! It's a weekend with a dead guy! HARHARHAR!! Gotta love it!

If the idea of pretending a dead guy named Bernie is still alive sounds humorous to you, see this movie immediately. It has one joke and it does it very well. There is only dead, misunderstood Bernie. It worked for me.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]