IMDb > UHF (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
UHF

UHF More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Go buy this DVD right now!

Author: velcrohead from United States
26 September 2005

It's very telling that I had to look 15 pages deep into the user comments to find one negative review of this movie. And the negative reviews were from insufferable snots.

This movie made me laugh as a teenager, but it also makes me laugh as a fully grown adult. Does that mean the humor is dumb or sophomoric? Not necessarily. What exactly is "adult humor" anyway? Does it necessarily need to contain graphic depictions of sex and generous uses of profanity to be considered sophisticated and adult?? I contend that it does not, and I cite UHF as an example.

The laughs here are genuine, and they come from lack of pretentiousness and an honest feeling that one need not take oneself too seriously at any given moment. Al lets us know that it's OK to make fun of yourself as well as the rest of society. Much of what he does is self-deprecating, and UHF is no exception. He doesn't stand around making fun of others and establishing an air of superiority over the rest of society. As George Newman, he becomes the everyman, infusing much of his own personality along with his on-stage comedic persona. And he's not afraid to kick himself around and then proceed to pull himself up via his own bootstraps. Nobody else has to be hurt.

Plot has never been a big necessity in these spoof/parody movies. "The Naked Gun," "Airplane," "Top Secret," "Johnny Dangerously," and many others have had the most skeletal of plots. Cop must find and bring to justice bad guy who shot his friend. Burned out ex-pilot must save aircraft when crew dies. Rock and roll star must overthrow Nazi plot. Mobster must overcome those who wish to take him down. And in "UHF" we have Loser Man must save TV station from evil network exec. The plot is not important; it's just a vehicle to get us from laugh to laugh and set up the next joke.

UHF's comedy, though basic, rings true, and if you'll drop all of your pretentious airs, you'll get it. (We all know you're not nearly as sophisticated as you think you are anyway.) Who among us can keep from laughing while Raul teaches poodles to fly? Who can stifle a chuckle when Stanley is doing... well... doing just about everything he does in this film? Al admits in his commentaries and interviews that "UHF" is no "Citizen Kane." But that's the beauty of it. There's nothing complex here. It's all about the laugh, and there's where this movie really scores.

Comedy at it's best!

Author: firehawk15 (firehawk15@hotmail.com) from Halifax, Canada
20 July 2000

This is probably, by far, the only movie I've seen that really makes me laugh more and more every time I see it. It's one of the only comedies that has good, clean humor. The whole movie is just a joke itself, a mix of original jokes, and many parodies. Michael Richards is perfect as Stanley, the Janitor. Weird Al is his usual comedic genius, who is also perfect for his role as the manager of 'U62'. For anybody who's in for a night full of laughs, UHF is definitely for you. A comedy masterpiece, 10/10!

This is an absolute must-see for all Weird Al fans, and anyone!

Author: ViveLaNeige from United States
3 August 2005

"UHF" is, to me, one of the greatest comedies ever. So many great scenes, so many awesome quotes, and best of all, a chance for Weird Al Yankovic to show off his talents, both as an actor and as a singer. Also, it's so much fun to see if you can pinpoint all the references to famous movies that Al puts into this film, such as the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" parody at the beginning, and many others.

The film is the story of George Newman, a young man who has trouble holding a job (and frequently gets his best friend Bob in trouble too) due to his overactive imagination. When he is given ownership of a local TV station, UHF, his imagination can finally be put to good use, in inventing the most bizarre show lineup you can imagine. When a network owner gets jealous of UHF's success, George and his friends and fans must unite to stop him and keep UHF on the air. Michael Richards is also quite excellent as the optimistic, not-too-bright Stanley.

Though it can be somewhat difficult to find, it's definitely worth the time and effort to buy "UHF" on DVD, so you can enjoy Weird Al's movie again and again and again...

Programming for all to enjoy, and it ain't even sweeps

Author: Agent10 from Tucson, AZ
2 July 2002

Weird Al Yankovic's only excursion into film making proved to be a solid effort on his part. With an off-beat story such as this, the frizzy haired patron of pop polka proves his acting is adequate enough to carry a film such as this. While I feel there could have been more Weird Al songs, the comedy wasn't lacking. Michael Richards had his best role ever as Stanley Spadowski the janitor. All of the children's show sequences were hilarious. While this film isn't for all, it was certainly a movie which I can enjoy on many occasions. 6.8/10

it's got "Weird" Al Yankovic, so you know what that means

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
1 May 2005

"Weird" Al Yankovic once admitted that "UHF" was just a big excuse to be goofy, and you'd better believe that it is. Containing every wacky gag imaginable, the movie tells the story of slacker George Newman (Yankovic), who inherits a defunct TV station, and creates a bunch of loony shows, thereby becoming the most popular station in town, and then has to fight off the vampiric corporate CEO R.J. Fletcher (Kevin McCarthy), who owns a typical TV station and doesn't like competition.

Like Yankovic said, it's an excuse to be goofy. Whether it's "Gandhi II", "Conan the Librarian" or "Wheel of Fish", "UHF" is truly one movie that could only come out of "Weird" Al Yankovic's mind. The only scene where "Weird" Al sings is the "Beverly Hillbillies" sequence, but the nonstop sight gags will have you dying of laughter guaranteed.

'Weird Al' - Harmless Fun

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
6 July 2006

For some reason, I never pictured myself watching a film starring "Weird Al" Yankovic. He just looked too weird or too stupid....but he was okay. In fact, he was pretty likable in this fun-but-unmemorable film. He's actually more like Jim Varney''s "Vern" character that was so popular in the '80s: a lame but super nice guy.

That's what "Weird Al" plays in here, a Mr. Nice Guy who prevails against forces of evil against him, in this case a TV station owner: Kevin McCarthy, who plays a totally over-the-top villain.

Yankovic will never win any Academy Awards for his acting but he suffices in this no-brainer comedy. Some of the bits are actually quite clever and some are a bit raunchy (hence the PG-13 rating) but there is almost no profanity in here. Michael Richards was funny as the stupid janitor. Lots of jokes in this movie. You just pick out the ones you like.

fun--just pain stupid fun

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
4 June 2005

At times we all can be dreadfully serious when it comes to movies. I know I can be--based on many of my other IMDb reviews, it's obvious I can be critical and occasionally too serious.

Because of this, I am glad there are really funny and stupid movies like this one. While not as sophisticated as The Producers or as wacky as Monty Python and the Holy Grail, it is one of the best "turn off your brain and just have fun movies".

The movie can be very amateurish at times and some jokes fall flat. However, the incredible energy and originality of the film make it very endearing. Unfortunately, it is too often just tossed aside as a "dumb movie" by many who just don't give it a chance. So my advice is to sit tight--don't turn it off! Allow yourself to wade through the slower first 1/4 of the movie so you can get to the GOLD, such as Gandhi 2, Conan the Librarian, or the commercials for cut rate funerals or for Spatula City! Feeling depressed or in a funk? See this film to cure what ails you!

A disturbing peek into the mind of one of the world's wackiest entertainer: "Weird Al" Yankovic.

Author: Cowman (cowman777@hotmail.com) from The Mitten State, USA
3 July 2003

Michael Richards battling a gang of mobsters with a mop and a staplegun. A clown being smashed with a frying pan, then force-fed dog biscuits. Emo Phillips accidently slicing off his thumb with a tablesaw. And Fran Drescher. Yup, I think it's safe to say that this movie has everything, folks!

"Weird Al" Yankovic's first (and only) movie is everything you would expect from this underappreciated comic genius. It has the same goofy charm as a Weird Al record, and works as an effective visual representation of what Al's music is all about. As you would expect, UHF contains plenty of movie parodies, all of which are spot-on and generally harmless. Die-hard fans can also look forward to seeing a wide array of "Al-isms" like Twinkie-Wiener Sandwiches, detailed rants about bizarre nonsense, usage of the word "weasel", et cetera.

Casual viewers will find the good (U-62) vs. evil (Channel 8) story a bit ho-hum and the humor a little too... Well, a little too weird. But let's face it: this film wasn't made to tell a captivating love story or to inspire us with biting social commentary. It's an excuse for using a new medium to show Al doing what Al does best: being himself. And, as all of us devoted fans can agree, we couldn't possibly ask for anything more! LONG LIVE MR. YANKOVIC!

Hilariously stupid!! I Loved it!!!

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
16 August 2001

You really have to be in the right mood for a movie for this to work. Get home from work, and rent this and try to get yourself away from reality, and enter the completely stupuid, dumb, funny world of Weird Al Yankovich.. Al plays a loser who is fired from his job(along with his best friend) so they go off and start a tv station called UHF, in which they make fun of some of shows and movies. Like, "Conan the Librarian"...That and the Rambo one are some of my favorites. Or how about making fun of the nature shows and the Bozo the Clown Show...wheww this movie really has you cracked up at the end. 3/5 stars, it was hilarious and is definitely on my list of must sees.

A perfect movie for humans of all ages!!

Author: (ianzu2000@yahoo.com) from Massachusetts
2 January 2004

This is the single greatest movie ever made. It has everything you could want in a movie: a stellar cast, music, romance, suspense, and hilarity, hilarity, hilarity!! "Weird Al" Yankovic leads a brilliant cast of stars in this tale of a guy whose overactive imagination unites a town when he becomes manager of a small UHF station and invents new and innovative programming.

Michael Richards ("Kramer" from Seinfeld) is amazing as Stanley, a sweet but simple janitor who turns out to be the perfect kids show host. Such luminaries as Gedde Watanabe, Victoria Jackson, Kevin McCarthy, Billy Barty, and Fran Drescher co-star. The music is so great, you'll want to order the soundtrack (you should!) The movie is entertaining enough for adults, but wholesome enough for kids, and they'll love its messages of putting your creativity to productive use and being a good friend.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]