IMDb > Turner & Hooch (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A fun thing to watch

Author: thefreakone from Argentina
27 June 2005

I remember watching this movie when I was a little kid and what a great time I had at doing so! Because, when you're this young you just don't care about plots or film-making. So, if you sit back and analyze this flick you won't find many Oscar winning angles, but that is not what this movie is trying to achieve. We just may call this another typically silly Tom Hank's early age's movie that many have come to love at first sight.

Simply put, this movie is all about funny situations and the comical performances of Tom Hanks and the dog (that dog was a great actor!). Nowadays, I continue to enjoy it because the "chemistry" between Hanks and the dog is very good!

A Very Underrated Cop-Doggy Comedy...Perhaps the Best of the Genre...

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
7 February 2003

Scott Turner (Tom Hanks) is a clean-cut cop. He keeps his house constantly clean and very organized. But after chaos ensues he ends up with the only witness of a crime scene: a very messy, dirty, hairy, slob of a beast - a dog. Actually, a "dawg" to be correct. That's the breed, supposedly...

Tom Hanks is very convincing and enjoyable in his role as a neat-freak cop, and the dog, surprisingly (I never thought I'd write this) is a great actor.

There are predictable and very typical eighties moments in "Turner and Hootch," but overall I thought the movie was a very enjoyable cop-doggy comedy, and it has a very nice ending to it ("This is not yours!"

When compared to other cop-dog movies like "K-9," it's a wonder that Turner and Hootch isn't on the top 250!

4/5 stars -

John Ulmer

Man and His Best Friend

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
16 January 2009

Hanks and Beasley make for an odd couple but they are clearly the best thing about the film. In terms of storyline of 'Turner & Hooch' is not developed from a novel concept, the humorous treatment and the hilarious and endearing interaction between the lead pair is what makes it a charming little film. Tom Hanks is totally great in one of his early roles as a policeman who suffers from perfectionism and is challenged by the entrance of a pooch into his life. The guy shows a flair for comedy that has hardly been noticed by many filmmakers. Beasley is fantastic and absolutely adorable (once you get passed the drooling). Mare Winningham is good as Hanks's love interest. They are quite convincing enough as a romantic pair. There are plenty of wonderful moments in the film and it is hard to pick a favourite but the first scenes that come to mind are the stakeout scene where Turner is chatting with a bored Hooch and the scene where he comforts a grieving Hooch. I love the film for its simplicity and heart along Hanks and Beasley. An awesome fun little flick!

A Mostly Underrated Tom Hanks Picture.

Author: phillafella from Nashville, TN
16 June 2003

TURNER AND HOOCH teams Tom Hanks with an unlikely murder witness: a slobbering junkyard dog named Hooch. This is an okay film for another one of Hanks's underachievers, and is actually an entertaining one to watch. It's not the dog that K-9 was. The story here is much better, the chemistry is much stronger and the movie doesn't try as hard. Certainly Hanks's most underrated film, and highly recommended for people with pets in their home.

3 out of 5

Dog and man make for strange partners

Author: lib-4 from florida
21 March 2001

My boyfriend loves this movie so I watched it and I laughed. Hooch acts exactly like our dog- big and messy and destructive. Tom Hanks was very convincing as a meticulous detective and Hooch is a hoot as a dog that can rattle him.. All in all this is a good movie to watch on a rainy afternoon like we did.

Turner & Hooch

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
16 March 1999

Tom Hanks stars in this comedy about an obssesively neat small town detective who teams up with the only witness to a friend's murder - the victim's slobber-happy dog. This is a cute film with many gags between Hanks and the dog. The entire sequence trying to get Hooch to take a bath is quite funny. The film moves at a quick pace and is better written than a similar film such as K-9, with Jim Belushi. Craig T. Nelson co-stars.

Hanks Turns Water into Wine, With a Canine Assist

Author: Sean Lamberger from Bradenton, FL
24 July 2014

Tom Hanks is an obsessive-compulsive cop who takes in a filthy, slobbish French Mastiff when it's the only witness to a murder. Basically The Odd Couple with a dog. It's predictable and formulaic to the bone, but hits a strange nerve that allows us to overlook its shortcomings and appreciate the sweetness of the ride. Hanks is largely to thank for that, at the top of his game very early in his dramatic career. Though a few not-so-surprising supporting actors pop in from time to time, (Reginald VelJohnson as a policeman? What a shock!) it's almost entirely a one-man show that sails beyond expectations on the merits of his lone performance. In fact, the closest competition is Beasley the dog, who's absurdly emotive and personable throughout the film. He and Hanks make for a great team, as silly as that might sound, and it's easy to tell that a lot of their best scenes were ad-libs that miraculously avoided the cutting room floor. Funny, bittersweet movie magic that really has no business being as entertaining as it is.

Tom Hanks was destined for this role

Author: mrhassell
20 June 2009

"Congratulations you broke the case!".

About 60 minutes into the movie the Hooch drops the goods.

A few seconds later, the bad guy is in his sights.

Now call me cynical but isn't that just the way life is sometimes?

First out you have to eat a few dog biscuits, then if your in the right place at the right time... Really a great family movie!

Bachelor Party is one of the greats for younger guy's but for the family.

Turner and Hooch has to be one of the most entertaining and fun ways to spend an evening with younger people.

Tom Hanks goes to the dogs....

Author: Mister-6 from United States
19 August 1999

It's not a great film but it ain't no dog, either.

"Turner and Hooch" does its own take on the cop-buddy genre of films. In few others, though, did one of the buddies ever have as severe a drooling problem as Hooch.

Hanks, in one of his last few comedy roles before aiming strictly for Oscar-calibre movies, is perfection as a neat freak cop teamed with a pooch that would be a calamity no matter whom he was with. When this dog marks his territory, the whole neighborhood notices.

If there's only one problem I had, it was the ending. I won't say anything about it, for the uninitiated, but all I will say is I wish it would have ended differently.

But besides Hanks and hound, there are other good parts, such as the observances of the unique characters in the town, the extent of damage a mastiff can do, and what kind of a cop carries a Dustbuster in his car. Oh, and the Lancelot Link discussion.

Seven stars. And if you ever own a mastiff, get thick doors.

Hooch, the police dog

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
9 January 2009

'Turner & Hooch' isn't a great movie, but it is an okay comedy-crime film which, if not terrific, at least is fun and entertaining enough.

Again, not a spectacular film, but it has lots of hilarious moments (it would take too long to mention them, as there are so many to number). But it's not all comedy. It is also about crime. And the part when Hooch dies (near the ending) is very sad - I didn't like that part. The movie also has some characteristic stuff from the 80's, which is a good thing.

The movie's best known actor is Tom Hanks, here in one of his early roles. I can't say I like him very much. I don't think he's that great as an actor. He often portrays ridiculous and annoying characters and his humor is usually too much clown-like, but here he is good. Even here he shows some of his typical trademarks, but far more natural and not in an irritating way. Tom Hanks is hilarious in this one, something unusual on him. This is one of the few (if not one of the only) films which he isn't annoying.

Tom Hanks's character, the police investigator Scott Turner, is more of an obsessively neat guy and funny at the same time, however with a major tendency for anger (he loses his temper easily and yells a lot).

Reginald VelJohnson is more funny than great, but one can't deny that his character, detective David Sutton, has sense of humor.

The dog, however, is the real star of the movie and naturally a great "actor". Beasley the Dog, a Dogue de Bordeaux, portrays Hooch, apparently a foul-tempered dog that loves to destroy things, but once we get to know him better, we realize that he's got an even temper. By the way, that dog drools in such a way that's unbelievable. I wonder if that dog breed really drools like that or if they just overdo it in the movie for comical effect.

Hooch, however, isn't the only dog worth mentioning. There is also Camilla, the beautiful "Lassie" owned by the veterinarian.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]