Three Fugitives (1989) Poster

43 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Perfect for a jovial mood
1excitedskwirl18 November 2004
If you're that "god, I'm a serious movie rater and this better impress me" kind of movie watcher then go find another. But If you are in the mood to laugh and think odd pairs are funny then go for it. It helps to know the history of Martin Short's style of comedy. Nick Nolte's a pretty big guy and Sarah Doroff is really little. So Nolte just got outa prison and is supposed to be this big bad bank robber with a reputation. Martin Short is this nervous jobless dad that robs a bank just as Nick Nolte is there and takes Martin takes 'Nick' as a hostage.

Nick gets SHOT! Martin has a senile old friend that takes care of Rover(Nick). James Earl Jones does a belly-laugh. Sarah overcomes her trama to change gender. Martin Changes Gender! There's a Happy Ending Such a sweet movie- after its over put A Nightmare on Elm Street in for the contrast!
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No need to run away from this one
Geofbob17 November 2001
This is not as bad or as unfunny a movie as some IMDb posters make out. The central situation of Lucas (Nick Nolte), a tough, professional heist-meister, being taken hostage by Perry (Martin Short), a bungling first-time bank robber, is pleasingly ridiculous. In particular, Perry's antics in the early bank robbery scenes are laugh-out-loud funny; as is Lucas's later violent entry into the bar where Perry is being held prisoner. The section towards the end, when Perry is disguised as a woman is also reasonably amusing. The scenes between Lucas and Perry's daughter (Sarah Rowland Doroff), are quite touching, when they could easily have been been sickly sentimental. (It helps that the little girl is supposed to have a psychological problem, so she hardly speaks.)

On the downside, there are undoubtedly soggy patches in the middle of the film, including the scene where James Earl Jones and Alan Ruck, as the two policemen leading the chase for Perry and Lucas, find it hilariously funny that Lucas was treated for a gunshot wound by a crazy vet who thought he was a dog. Another defect is the whiny music, which is repetitive and irritating.

All in all, this may not be a film to spend much money on, but is worth watching if it turns up on TV.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exquisite comedy which deserves to be seen more often
Balthazar-530 September 2009
While being a great enthusiast of French cinema, I hadn't heard of Francis Veber when I saw this magnificent comedy in 1989. Unfortunately his wonderful films were never released in the UK, until 'Le Dîner des Cons'. So I came to it fresh... and WOW. Here we have Nick Nolte in a perfect role as the tough former bank robber and Martin Short as the perfect nerdish but determined sidekick. The opening bank robbery sequence, that sets up the film is magnificent and hilarious. The sub-plot involving the little girl is sweet and moving - almost worthy of Chaplin. The loopy vet is amazing and one of his scenes had me crawling on the floor with laughter. I could start analysing the structure or the mise en scène, but such sophistry is irrelevant - just see it and laugh out loud like you will rarely have done so before. (Amazingly I haven't seen the original with Depardieu and Pierre Richard... why don't they release a subtitled version?????)
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun but nothing special
Steve Dorsett17 November 2001
This is a light 80's style comedy with heavy doses of schmaltz. The plot revolves around Lucas (Nick Nolte) who's been released from jail after 5 years for armed bank robbery. On his first day of release, he gets taken hostage by Perry (Martin Short), who tries to rob a bank in order to continue to care for his ailing daughter Meg. We've seen it many times before, Perry is completely inept, knowing only that he has to care for his daughter, Lucas is the tough ex-con with the heart of gold, oh you can almost picture the buddy-buddy hilarity to come.

Unfortunately, this movie completely under-utilises one of the great American comedic actors in Martin Short. These scenes that revolve around him just drag, and you end up longing for Nolte returning to the screen. The most poignant scenes revolve around the relationship formed between Lucas and Meg. Both of these two are fantastic in these scenes, and it's that which keeps you drawn to the film longing to see how it plays out.

The Three Fugitives is a fun little movie that won't bore you, is worth watching if you see it on TV. I wouldn't bother going out of you way to view it though.

All in all 6 out of 10
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unfairly forgotten 80s charmer.
oneguyrambling14 November 2010
This is the kind of 1980s film that Hollywood never seems to make anymore. Unassuming, low key and charming without a big budget or a labyrinthine plot, it simply tells a simple story and then finishes.

Nowadays low budget films must have a hook, which generally means they are extremely art-housey or plain horror flicks, there aren't many little family-friendly flicks. Marketing and a lack of cross-promotion opportunities wouldn't allow it.

This is a bit of a shame, as Three Fugitives is the kind of film that you can all sit in front of the TV and kill 100 minutes without anyone in the room whining unnecessarily. Nick Nolte plays Lucas, who is being released from prison after a 5 year sentence earned by holding up 14 banks. (It was amazing seeing how fit Nolte looks here, he's still gruff and weathered but he is actually in really good shape, something he couldn't say for anything since the early 90s.) Now Lucas claims he is going straight, something that his arresting officer (played by James Earl Jones) gravely doubts. When Darth Vader stops Lucas as he leaves prison to tell him "I've got my eye on you", Lucas asks for a lift to the local bank so that he can rob it, and this is where the fun starts… After entering the bank to open a new account, Lucas unwittingly becomes embroiled in a hold up perpetrated by the bumbling Ned, played by Martin Short, (who these days turns me to tears but who is fitting here, as his character is required by the plot to be pathetic and annoying, something he is in spades).

Ned ultimately screws up big and takes Lucas hostage for some reason, even though at 6 foot plus and a good 50kg heavier than Ned he could snap him like a twig. The cops, thinking Lucas really held up the bank, tell him to give up and he yells back that he has nothing to do with it, a gun accidentally goes off, Lucas is shot in the leg and off they go on the lam. (That's cops & robbers shop talk for run away.) Initially Lucas tries at the first opportunity to turn Ned in at the local cop shop to absolve himself from guilt and clear his name, he quickly realizes that Ned has no intention of giving himself up, but a lack of blood caused by the bullet in his leg removes a bit of his get up and go, so Ned takes him to a Vet for treatment.

Enter the reason for Ned's robbery and desire to remain free: 6ish year old Meg.

Meg is Ned's daughter, who hasn't spoken for years since the sudden death of her mother. Ned is unemployed and attempted the hold up to keep afloat so that Meg wouldn't need to go to a home or a special needs facility, and his desire to care for her is evident.

Lucas initially wants nothing to do with Meg and gives Ned the address of a guy who can forge him some papers so that he can at least safely skip town.

Without going into detail or the Spoiler-iffic zone, the three fugitives of the title band together through the various impediments and pitfalls that beset them in order to cross the border to Canada, with the cops on their tail the whole time.

This is very light and fanciful stuff, and a great deal of the amusement comes from watching Lucas brutalise Ned in an off-handed way, as if he does it all the time (and he probably does).

The second half of the film is Run. Escape. Run. Escape, with more and more unlikely near misses each time, all wrapped in a neat bow with a hokey 80s movie ending.

This doesn't mean the film is not entertaining though, it is a fluff piece that never seems dated despite being in its 20s, and while never scaling great heights it remains amusing throughout.

If nothing else it proves that if you try to entertaining you don't need to aim for greatness to achieve, after all for some reason it has given Robbie Williams a career.

Final Rating – 7 / 10. You won't be breathlessly describing it to mates the next day but while it is running you will enjoy yourself.

If you liked this review (or even if you didn't) check out oneguyrambling.com
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not so much on the run. More like a slow crawl.
DAVID SIM5 November 2009
I have a personal bias against American remakes of foreign films. They seem to exist to be made only because an American/English audience doesn't relish the idea of having to read subtitles while watching a film. And not many of these remakes work anyway. Look at the dire likes of True Lies and Three Men and a Baby.

Three Fugitives was no doubt inspired by the recent success of TMAAB. They're both American remakes of French comedies, and Touchstone have even taken the precaution of importing the director and writer of the original version, Francis Veber. I haven't seen Les Fugitifs so I can't debate how close Veber sticks to his own material, or if he makes any drastic changes, but as it is, Three Fugitives is an amiable caper, if one that never bursts out with gut busting laughs.

Lucas (Nick Nolte) is an ex-con who's decided to go straight. But on the day of his parole, he walks into a bank and right into the middle of a hold-up. Ned Perry (Martin Short) is an incompetent bank robber who wears a nylon stocking for a balaclava. And when the robbery takes much longer then planned, that gives the police enough time to surround the place. In desperation, Ned takes Lucas hostage. But the police, who know of Lucas' track record for armed robberies think he's the robber. Meaning these two mismatched men must go on the run together.

I admit to enjoying Three Fugitives far more then Three Men and a Baby. They are quite similar films at heart. Both Touchstone financed American remakes of French originals, and the plots both revolve around a youngster. In this case Ned's mute six-year old daughter Meg. It turns out Ned pulled the robbery because he needed money to send Meg to a special school after being laid off from his job as a sales manager. Meg hasn't spoken a word since her mother died two years ago.

Three Fugitives has its funny moments. Ned's bank robbery is so hopeless it gets funnier just watching it all go wrong around him. Like when he shoots the ceiling he gets showered in plaster. His disguise splits open. And when a bank teller throws him the bag full of money, it lands in a ceiling fixture. I also liked the scene when Lucas gets accidentally shot by Ned, and Ned has to take him to a vet to get treated (like a dog!).

Its the bits in between that don't really work. All the funny parts come in isolated moments. And Francis Veber's direction isn't fast and frantic enough. So the film moves in fits and starts. It seems to take too long for the film to get to anything good. The inclusion of Meg to the plot also seems a bit of a miscalculation, and suggests something of the tweeness that capsized Three Men and a Baby.

It never really boils over. Even if it lacks credibility. But its not helped by Sarah Rowland Doroff's rather flat performance. Even as she begins to open up, she's just as blank in the second half as she is in the first. Nick Nolte and Martin Short have they're amusements, even if they don't exactly have cracking chemistry. They're only paired up together just to play off of each other's obvious differences. So in other words you're typical buddy movie.

Three Fugitives still feels a bit shapeless. It just moves from one spot to the next. Some funny (like Lucas getting a job as a locksmith!). Some cringeworthy (like Ned dressing up as a woman to avoid border checks). And the film doesn't end. It just sort of stops without any real attempt at an ending. Sporadically funny. Forgotten the next day.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great little 'chuckler' !
liamlagreat20066 August 2008
One of the very best! This movie defines the word genius. It is a very clever comedy. It has some many side splitting moments you'll have to buy it!

It doesn't seem to work as a certificate 15 however, i think it would have been a fantastic family film. Saying that, i watched it as a young kid with my family, so it brings back the good old days. This is the type of film where it is almost 'innocent' laughter, it doesn't rely on sexual jokes to make audience laugh, it doesn't really rely on anything , it's just naturally funny!! It's the type of film that your chirpy Grandad enjoys!

But it should bring out the kid in you !

LOVE IT!

3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious movie...
..."Three Fugitives" is an action comedy about an ex-con (Nick Nolte) who - on his first day out of prison - is taken hostage by a neurotic father (Martin Short). The two are taken - along with Short's daughter (Sarah Rowland Doroff) - on a long journey full of laughs and excitement.

Nick Nolte is probably not the greatest actor for comedies, but he still delivers well. Short is obviously hilarious, as he is most of the time, and Doroff is as good as she could be. James Earl Jones and Alan Ruck also make funny appearances.

The only really annoying part about "Three Fugitives" is the constant use of eighties guitar music in the background. That is probably the worst sounding noise in history.

Funny family movie (despite a few cuss-words), 7/10.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Could it get anymore 80's that this?
Monkey Bastard17 February 2000
This is as 80's as it gets. One of my childhood movies that I (obviously) grew up with, and it's always been there. It's like one of those things your mom tells you when you grow up, you carry it with you constantly. This one is up there with "Tango & Cash", "Adventures In Babysitting", "Back To The Future", "Willow", "Roxanne", "The Princess Bride", and all the other great flicks from the late 80's.

In this remake of a French movie from 1986, Nick Nolte is released from prison, goes to a bank which Martin Short is robbing. At least he tries to rob it, everything goes down the drain and he takes Nolte hostage, and of course the cops think Nolte is the robber.

As I said, this is one of movies I grew up with and you always love your childhood movies, even though they might suck. And this movie really does suck. It's not nearly as good as the French predecessor, but I love it anyway. I can't help it. Sure, it's silly. It's laughable. It's way too sentimental. It's even pathetic at times.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Cute Little Film
Uriah4327 January 2017
After spending five years in prison for 14 separate bank robberies "Lucas" (Nick Nolte) has finally been granted parole and is set free. Unfortunately, when he goes to a bank to deposit his prison check he finds himself on the receiving end of a bank robbery by what turns out to be an extremely bumbling novice by the name of "Ned Perry" (Martin Short). To make matters worse, when the police surround the bank Ned picks Lucas—of all people--to be his hostage. This selection causes the police to think that both Ned and Lucas are acting as a team and as a result the two of them are forced to work together to somehow extricate themselves from this situation. To further complicate matters, Ned's young daughter "Meg" (Sarah Rowland Doroff) has some serious issues related to trauma which has caused her to withdraw from everyone around her—until she meets Lucas. As a result, instead of two fugitives from the law there are now three—and each of them have their own priorities which don't necessarily relate to one another. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film turned out better than I thought it would due mainly to the humorous twists and turns throughout. That said, while it's certainly not the greatest comedy ever made, it's still a cute little film which should appeal to most viewers interested in something of this type. Slightly above average.
Truly, truly underrated.
Rich Wright14 May 2015
Watching Three Fugitives is like traveling back in time to a bygone era, when there was no Internet, only four TV channels and John Major was prime minister. But hey, it wasn't all bad... We got films like this, where the focus is purely on the relationship between a grumpy, fresh out of jail bank thief portrayed by Nick Nolte, a mute six year old girl and her well-meaning but accident prone father, played by Martin Short.

Caught up in a heist-gone-wrong with a case of mistaken identity thrown into the bargain, the trio (as the title suggests) go on the lam together. Ever cop in the district is looking for them, Short is a walking disaster area, the kid wanders off at every given opportunity and Nolte just wants to ditch the other two and go straight. Easier said then done, when Short lands them in non-stop trouble, and Nolte begins to form a connection with the little girl...

It's not a laugh-a-minute split-your-sides experience, but what it IS is a perfect fusion of pathos, understated action and amusing character moments. It's easy to predict the hate-love arc of the Nolte/Short friendship, and some of the punchline are visible from miles off. But frankly, I didn't care.

All the cast play their roles so well, they transform what could have a humdrum script into something quite special. Of course, it also helps to have one of the cutest screen children around as their co-star. Makes their ongoing struggle more believable when we sees what's at stake, ya see? One to watch every few years from now on, I think. I'll never get tired of it, that's for sure. 8/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Light comedy is good fun
gcd709 November 2007
Enjoyable, light film about an ex-con who is taken hostage in a botched bank robbery the day he gets out of jail. Francis Veber's film is yet another remake of a successful French hit, and one that works quite well.

The plot doesn't amount to much but fortunately the comedy does. Martin Short is once again very funny and teams well with the gruff Nick Nolte. Together they wreak havoc, and a fair amount of hilarity, as they flee from the police with Short's adorable young daughter.

"Three Fugitives" is a comedy that will surely make you laugh, and possibly smile too. Good fun.

Saturday, May 1, 1993 - Video
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most fun and entertaining movies I have ever seen
SM Yasir9 May 2016
I have never written a review before but for this one I just had to write one. I was just changing channels when I came across this one and after watching the first bank scene I knew this one i just had to watch. The story is simple and extremely entertaining and the comic scenes are just hilarious that had me laughing out loud which doesn't happen a lot. This is one of those movies which would keep you glued to the TV screen thinking what would happen next. The comic timing in some of the scenes is pure genius. I don't think there was ever a dull moment in this movie. I usually get bored when the movie gets slow but this is fast paced and the story keeps moving forward.
Wonderful funny film
david-497-3314748 October 2012
If I ever need cheering up, I watch this movie. One of my favourite comedies.

The unlikely pairing of Nick Nolte and Martin Short works wonderfully, with Nolte as the hardened ex-con Lucas, unwittingly gets involved in the bumbling bank robbery carried out by Short (Ned Perry). James Earl Jones plays the cop who has been itching to nail Lucas once again and assumes that, once Lucas is taken hostage by Perry, that they are in it together.

The first 15-20 minutes contain some pure slapstick which has me crying with laughter every time I see it.

It is particularly heartening to see the tough guy Nolte being enchanted by Martin Short's mute 6 year old daughter.

Lovely, simple and heartwarming.
Odd Trio On The Run
Chrysanthepop29 January 2012
Francis Veber remakes his 'Les Fugitifs' into 'Three Fugitives'. Having not seen the original French version, as a standalone, I found this one to be charming, heartwarming and entertaining. It also holds nostalgic value for me as I remember first watching it years ago with an old friend.

The film never strays away from the main point and it always stays focused on the three main characters Lucas, Ned and Meg. Veber's direction is decent. He doesn't rely on cheap action thrills, such as grand explosion sequences or outrageous chases. The story is quite straightforward but Veber's prime tool of entrainment is the humour which is very effective. There are some hilarious one-liners and situational humour.

With a cast that includes Martin Short, Nick Nolte, James Earl Jone and Alan Ruck, very little can go wrong. Nolte and Short are funny as an odd couple, one an ex-con and another a down-on-his luck desperate father. They work well off one another just like Earl Jones and Ruck do. The scenes between Nolte and young Sarah Doroff are endearing to watch.

In the end, 'Three Fugitives' is a funny and 'sweet' movie. It's sweet in the sense that there's just the right level of sugar, not too saccharine like the usual Hollywood flick.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie will make you laugh 'till you cry at times
honesty18 December 1998
This movie starts out funny and keeps on being funny until the very end. Naturally it has to have the mandatory American 'happy ending' but despite that the characters are lovable and compelling. The scene with the 'doctor' is priceless and is in keeping with the whole insane reason from the start. I would be tempted to call this movie a humorous version of 'Dog Day Afternoon' Don't miss it!
Decent Fun!
namashi_124 May 2015
A remake of Les Fugitifs, a 1986 French comedy, 'Three Fugitives' is Decent Fun! Though nothing amazing or extremely touching, this crime-comedy is engaging at parts & well-acted nevertheless.

'Three Fugitives' Synopsis: On his first day after being released from jail for 14 armed bank robberies, Lucas finds himself caught up in someone else's robbery. Perry has decided to hold up the local bank to raise money so that he can keep his daughter, Meg, and get her the treatment she needs. Dugan, a detective, assumes Lucas helped plan the robbery, and hence Lucas, Perry and Meg become three fugitives.

'Three Fugitives' is consistently watchable, thanks to its engaging narrative. The series of events that happen with its conjoined protagonists is mostly fun. Having said that, the film doesn't work entirely. The pace drops in its second-hour & hence the impact overall, is hampered.

Francis Veber's Screenplay & Direction are good. He's written some bits well & has captured the film well. Cinematography & Editing are standard.

Performance-Wise: Nick Nolte is a complete scene-stealer, as always. Martin Short is in remarkable form, enacting his part with excellent timing. Sarah Doroff is cute. James Earl Jones is first-rate.

On the whole, 'Three Fugitives' has some problems, but they are mostly done away by its lighthearted tone & fine performances.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The secret of "received with mixed reviews"!
ahmed elshikh18 June 2011
I lived my childhood in the 1980s. When it comes to movies, TV, music, haircuts, and girls, it's lovely decade indeed. For all the previous reasons I loved the 1980s. And as for Three Fugitives, it's an additional reason.

No doubt it's wonderful and unforgettable movie. However, the no wonderful and so forgettable is its third act. Suddenly, the hunt – of the police and the other criminals – is finished, and the end is abrupt; as if there was some greediness for a sequel. I don't know why the script didn't extend the storyline of the hunt, by the police and other criminals, for longer ?! Hence, lines like "Dugan is on our tails." near the end sounded strange, especially when (James Earl Jones) vanished after the end of the second act. Speaking about strange lines; (Nolte)'s line to the kid in the orphanage "I'll take care of you like you took care of me." reminds you of another point of weakness which is the relationship of those 2 characters. I have always thought that it needed more to it in the second act; so they may fall in love appropriately and more convincingly. I believe these points are what caused the awful fate of "received with mixed reviews" !

So, it's 2/3 classic. The detailing is fascinating; the first 10 minutes is a very good example. The music score, by (David McHugh), is one of the best I have ever heard to say the least. The image is smooth and romantic. (Haskell Wexler), the director of photography, won 2 Oscars for (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? – 1966) and (Bound for Glory – 1976). His cinematography can't be bypassed in other movies like (The Thomas Crown Affair – 1968) or (The Man Who Loved Women – 1983). For reasons like that he's one of 6 cinematographers to have a star on the famed "Hollywood Walk of Fame".

The cast did their top. See how (Nolte) walks, how (Short) moves, or how (Jones) reacts to understand that well; it's rare to find a performance like this in a comedy. And when it comes to (Sarah Rowland Doroff), then we're talking about the movie's treasure. Casting her ensured this movie the immortality. OH MY GOD, every time I saw her; my heart just melts. She's too fragile to make you cry. It's apparent that (Francis Veber) directed her so well to an extent of feeling how she lost the nomination for the Oscar unfairly that year.

(Veber) enjoyed us utterly, with exquisite adorable cadres, aesthetic lighting sometimes, and striking sense of comedy. He, as a writer, only lacked some balance in the last 20 minutes, and a satisfying finer climax.

This movie has a philosophical side. Review with me : you have to be a criminal to raise a child correctly these days, love makes us fugitives in this world, and it's eventually a tale of 3 fugitives who get home by belonging to each other in some kind of family; with a serious stout father (Nolte), a helpless clumsy mom (Short), and a weak child (Doroff) who messes her father and mother. They all need a getaway to run from crimes they whether didn't commit or were pushed to commit lousily. The movie showcases that family obviously at the disguise by the Canadian borders.

I love the 1980s and this movie too. With little fixing, it could have been "received with great reviews". Unfortunately, the matter of mixed reviews this round was a prove of wrong; it mirrored something uneven about it. But anyway, it's hilarious, thrilling, so sentimental, and a classic in my book.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Criminal Negligence....
Mister-619 May 2000
Okay, seems that everyone was on a HUGE Francis Veber kick after his "Three Men and a Cradle" got the Yank treatment with Ted Danson, Tom Selleck and Steve Guttenberg.

Well, then the suits got a bright idea: why not remake EVERY LAST SINGLE ONE of Veber's movies as an American comedy?

Not so bright, it seems, since "Three Fugitives" was included in the package.

I am a great fan of Martin Short; he is a great comedian and has proved it time and again. Just not here; he basically plays a clumsily doting father who turns to a life of crime to help care for his daughter (Doroff).

Meantime, recently released con Nolte finds himself "kidnapped" by Short during a botched bank robbery (admittedly, the film's high point).

And from that moment on, it's all one long, dreary, boring, exhaustive slog of a chase movie/road movie/odd couple-buddy movie/movie-of-the-week movie and over-baked slapstick movie that has an ending that should have ended before it began.

Maybe in a different movie, Nolte and Short would have had better chemistry; here, they just seem like a big, gruff bully (Nolte) forced to tag along with a small, annoying klutz (Short) and his mute, cloyingly cute daughter (Doroff). Not exactly the makings for a classic comedy.

Then again, they worship Jerry Lewis over in France, too.

Two stars for "Three Fugitives". One for the bank holdup scene and another for a scene near the end where Short, in drag, has to fake birthing labor with his daughter's teddy bear under his dress so that he and Nolte can avoid the cops.

Would have made a GREAT short subject.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Fun Comedy
gavin694217 February 2017
A reformed bank robber (Nick Nolte) is taken hostage by a desperate man (Martin Short) during a bank hold up, but is forced to go on the run with his captor when they are both mistakenly thought to be in cahoots.

A confession right up front: I have never cared for Martin Short. I couldn't say why, but his brand of humor just does not appeal to me. And yet, I really enjoyed this film and thought he was pretty sharp in it. Maybe Nick Nolte is the right "straight man" to keep the balance? It appears so.

There are some emotional moments, but nothing overwhelming that turns this fro ma comedy (with slight action) into a tear-jerker. What works great for the comedy-action balance is how quickly we get right into it. We learn about the characters as we go, rather than waiting twenty minutes for things to take off. This script decision was brilliant.
Enjoyable
TheLittleSongbird4 August 2010
I won't say this is a perfect movie, but I liked it. It was funny, enjoyable and well-performed. One or two moments may drag and the sentimentality is not quite kept at bay, but overall I really liked Three Fugitives.

Three Fugitives is beautiful to look at certainly, the sumptuous cinematography and beautiful scenery really gives the film a lovely look to it. The music is good too, as is the direction. The script is very funny and quotable and the story is believable with good action, while the pacing on the whole is secure enough. The acting also helps elevate, Nick Nolte and Martin Short's chemistry mayn't be an immediate classic, but it is believable and both men do really well in their roles especially Short who has plenty of slapstick laughs. And it was a delight to see James Earl Jones again, a great actor with a wonderful, dignified presence and rarely disappoints in his films and this is no exception.

In conclusion, an enjoyable film and worth watching at least once. 8/10 Bethany Cox
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Short and Nolte make a good team
disdressed1211 July 2010
as an couple buddy movie,this one's pretty decent.Martin Short and Nick Nolte make a good pair,and Sarah Rowland Doroff is quite adorable.there's some funny ,moments here and some touching moments as well.there's even a little bit of action.the move goes long at along at a debt clip.it does follow the same predictable formula,to a certain extant,and you can probably see the ending coming a mile away.but the performances make up for it.on a boring night when you have nothing else to do,you could do worse than this movie.it's no masterpiece by along shot,but it's good fro some chuckles.for me,Three Fugitives is a 6/10
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A bit funny, a bit emotional feel-good movie.
mestanzade5 July 2008
A bit funny, a bit emotional feel-good movie. A few scenes are hilarious. It's a remake of a French movie "Les Fugitifs". I've seen the original years ago, as a kid. Watching the remake almost felt like watching the same movie again. Which is not surprising considering that both of the films were directed by Francis Veber, the writer of the movies. The characters were chosen very appropriately. And congrats to both Martin Short and Nick Nolte they both played they roles exactly as they should. If you like this movie you might like others written by Francis Veber. Several of his French movies were remade in United States. I think there is another movie where Pierre Richard was replaced by Martin Short.
Boring, slow, pedestrian - 23%
Benjamin Cox28 July 2005
Most films will stay with you for some time after you've watched them. This can, of course, be a good or a bad thing depending on the quality of the movie and your opinion of it. In many ways, making a movie that leaves the viewer completely detached and uninvolved is almost an achievement in itself and if that was writer/director Francis Veber's objective then I'm happy to say that "Three Fugitives" is a unparallelled success. Being a horrible misfit of crime thriller, action comedy and emotional tearjerker, "Three Fugitives" spends its entire duration going absolutely nowhere.

Nick Nolte plays hardened career criminal Lucas who is released from jail after a five-year stretch for his fourteenth armed robbery. On his first day back in society, Lucas is caught up in a bank robbery of someone else's design, namely bumbling nerd Ned (Martin Short). When the police, led by Lucas's nemesis Dugan (James Earl Jones), turn up, they naturally assume that Lucas is responsible and the pair of them escape in the ensuing confusion. Slowly, the two build up a unique partnership that is focused on Ned's traumatised daughter, Meg (Sarah Rowland Doroff).

A movie such as this hinges on the relationship between the two leads and personally, I felt that Nolte and Short were not a good combination. Nolte is too restrained for Short's wild physical humour and aside from a few smirks here and there, the comedy felt forced and not particularly funny. Doroff is good but she has nothing to do besides look cute and in my opinion, Jennifer Love Hewitt does that better than anyone else. The whole film feels stuck, endlessly chasing the initial premise around and around until you hardly remember what the point of the film was. It sags badly after the first 45 minutes or so and it never regains its opening promise. It is also badly edited - even someone like me (who rarely spots continuity errors and such) spotted a whole host of mistakes and plot holes that really should have been dealt with before being released.

"Three Fugitives" starts out promising but all too quickly runs out of steam and then surrenders. It never gets out of second gear and the whole thing never engages or stimulates the viewer. It is a celluloid sedative, stretching out every minute of its duration. It isn't the worst movie ever made but a lot of viewers will not enjoy a film that never makes up its mind what it wants to be and spends 90-odd minutes being nothing. A handful of people may get something from this but this is a quiet little movie, barely noticeable on the CVs of Short or Nolte (who looks remarkably young in this!) and not worth the effort. Sorry but this is one movie that I will not be pursuing in future, unless I wanted to go to sleep.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this