IMDb > Teen Witch (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Teen Witch

Teen Witch More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

You can't top this movie

Author: yestesfa from United States
25 September 2014

Although this movie was very cheesy, I fell in love with it. I loved how Louse Miller becomes popular after learning she's a witch on her 16th birthday. It was a hilarious movie and I love the clothes the actors wear throughout the movie. It was also very cute because she falls in love with the most popular guy at school. The songs in the movie were cheesy, but they were also very catchy. The "Top This" rap battle was the best part of the film. The cheesy "I Like Boys" scene in the girls' locker room was kind of stupid, but extremely catchy. The movie was also very fun to watch. I honestly have watched this movie over 20 times. If you love everything 80s, you've got to watch this movie!

teen witch is the best movie ever!

Author: billy-venus from United States
28 July 2006

teen witch is the 80s classic about louise, a shy misfit with typical teenage girl problems: the boy she loves doesn't know she's alive, her parents are washed-up sitcom actors, and senior boys rap in front of her locker! then louise discovers she has magic powers and that's just the beginning...

OK, the acting is horrible, the plot makes no sense, and random characters burst into song, but seriously i love this movie with all my heart. i would give anything for a continuous loop of it in my head. it always makes me crack up every time. this movie has a lot to offer. great music, big hair, green heels and orange socks over pink leggings. so if you haven't seen it, you're missing out.

and remember...the real magic is believing in yourself

Where are all the chairs?

Author: gennyhardison
22 April 2006

"Louise, i brought your morning pa-pa', i took the liberty of ironing your home-work'!" Ahh... the immortal words of Louise's crazy looking little brother, what an amazing leap for the world of cinema. I am in awe each time i watch this dazzling film. Be it the A-mazing rap sequence or just the HI-larious teacher in the car wash/voodoo doll sequence i cannot get enough of teen witch...but i must say the only flaw in the film is the incredible standard that all of my boyfriends have been held to since the scene in the abandoned house where Brad stands in his tank top daring Louise to "catch" him. well what can i say. this is a no-brainer, peace out dudes.

Midnight Movie in Seattle 11/12/2005

Author: yesfan2004 from United States
13 November 2005

OK. i was driving with my sister in Seattle ( capitol Hill) and on the marquee of the Egyptian theatre was "teen witch" for midnight movie on fri and sat nite the 11/ 11 and 11/ 12 2005. I almost drove off the road. I love this movie. its cheesy, campy 80's fabulousness makes me watch it every time its on TV. So I had to see it on the big screen. I was tired , and thought i might skip it.. but something told me to go.. so me my sister and friend went. As I was walking into the theatre, I swear the star of the movie, Robyn Lively, was standing right next to me. but i brushed it off and said it couldn't be her. Was I wrong!!! the writer of the music in the movie comes out and tells us Robyn was there ready to talk about the movie and take pix and sign autographs!! She really was a sweetheart!! she talked about the movie.. " I enjoyed making out with the Tom cruise wanna be, brad" and talked about the DVD and how the studio didn't want to have her add commentary, because they didn't want to put the money into it. what a shame!! she is a pretty lady and so nice. she took pics with everyone and signed autos.. there were a lot of fans there and it was one of the most fun midnight movies ever!!! I'm SO GLAD i went. the audience totally participated in the film and it was a laugh riot. go buy the DVD if u don't love this movie you suck its fun and i love the characters ( especially the brother) and the music is hilarious ( love Shana)

Fairytales are meant to be sugar coated anyway

Author: m.e from London
29 December 2003

Ok...many people might think that this movie is the pits. Yes...it has a weak plot and well, the acting ain't something to rave abt either but somehow I'm still drawn to it. I have watched the movie countless times. I guess it's just the whole concept of it...how unrealistic it is. Every girl's dream come true to be the most popular girl or be treated like a precious jewel...a princess. The fact that Louise could control her fate made it all the more appealing. A MAJOR plus plus plus point is the eye candy...Brad Powell (Dan Gauthier) looks sooooo good in the movie. My friends and I were crazy abt him when we were younger...and to think I was only 9 when the movie came out. No matter how much people might say this movie sucks...it has gotta be my all-time favourite - after The Little Mermaid. (Haha...u can see what kind of movies I'm a sucker for)

Joshua Miller's Greatest performance

Author: seanc39 from New York, NY
2 February 2001

This movie is a must see 80's film. Joshua Miller turns in one of the foremost examples of excellence in acting ever captured on celluloid. He acts circles around Robyn Lively and the rest of the cast. The film is not a masterpiece, but his scenes are worth sitting through the weakest of cheesy scenes. Zelda Rubinstein also turns in a noteworthy performance.

Fantastic!

Author: Julia from Australia
7 July 2002

Teen Witch is without a doubt one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. From the old witch to the I Like Boys dance routine, you'll never stop laughing. I rented it because it looked stupid, but from this movie I found my favourite song. I Like Boys!

at least its more charming than Charmed, and way cuter than Sabrina... Top That!

Author: RavenGlamDVDCollector from South Africa
6 June 2016

Okay, more deserving of a 6, but the extra point is awarded because my title is so, so, so true... And there isn't any further episodes to this to make me rue the day I bought the set. Which is more than I can say for two certain TV-shows that started off promising but turned sour, very sour, bitchily sour, the one an all- out man-hating festering hotbed for pointless displays of femi- Nazism. And the kiddie version just made everything male dorky.

But okay, enough of that old rant of mine.

TEEN WITCH, 1989. I never even heard of it. Big fan of SAVANNAH, 1996 - 1997, though, there, Robyn Lively, not so much. During the second season though, her character began coming into its own (well, at one stage, just before the wheels began to fall off) and I Googled her, and discovered she was in a teen movie. Downloaded a snippet of it, it was that f***awful vomit-worthy rap sequence "Top That" which is truly, truly, truly bad, people who read this without knowing what I am talking about have no idea how bad it is, it positively reeks, not of cheese, but of weeks-old cheese that's been inside a dog and...

Anyway, you get the picture. Me too. The sight of a much younger Robyn Lively at the peak of her allure was most inspiring, and I put the movie on my long list of try-to-obtain-these...

The Eighties was a time of innocence. That's all I can say. Some things were a whole lot better then. That is very true. In that locker-room dance sequence, you will notice that the girls are very, very All-American, healthy-looking, fresh and clean, no 'girlz from da hood' and no tattoos (that one there is an ankle bracelet, folks!) and just all round absolutely nice. So that's better! But some of the routines, including everything done by the boys, geez, I doubt it could have been seen as that great even way back then. Now it's positively Gaysville. In fact, I think little white lads jumping about like that positively played to a pederast audience. One thing for girls to cavort about, they're timeless beauties, but these guys, they look freaking (unintentionally) queer. It goes without saying that it's instant career suicide for a male (except that one, of course) to have been even remotely seen on this set.

And that Ritchie boy deserved to be dropped from the cast, he was so unconvincing as a heckler. Perhaps a force to be reckoned with in his own home to his vulnerable sister, but being of a particularly odd look, kind of like an old woman, he'd have been ridiculed mercilessly beyond the garden gate. Very unconvincing performance, no conviction in the eyes. There must have been scores who could have done better, but, of course, they wisely stayed clear.

I liked Robyn, very interesting to see her back in her glory days.

Now, back to "I Like Boys" - wow, golly, gee, yes, I am a guy, and, wow, what a surprise, I didn't even expect! Long legs, long hair, and they jump about, arching their feet, and did I mention the long, long legs? This reviewer is only human, and (pant, pant)...

"I Like Boys" 10 - 10, Robyn Lively 7 and half - 10, "Top That" belongs on a garbage dump, movie itself a lukewarm response, there are so many off-putting key elements... factoring in some zeitgeist, I'd say 4 - 10. The beauty of the female cast saves it, and sways me, of course!

an 80s classic

Author: dutchchocolatecake from United States
3 October 2013

This movie deserves SOME credit. It's a typical 80s comedy prominently featuring teen angst and high school dilemmas; one of many in it's time during their heyday.

There isn't much of a plot, it's a journey of self discovery with an intelligent teenage girl who learns to accept herself. The writer covers a lot of bases from safe sex/birth control, self esteem, insecurities and other feelings about love and dating, irresponsible authority figures and assessing what one needs to be happy as a person. But the movie is FUN to watch, and delivers a hefty dose of cheese you won't forget.

The 80s strikes yet again!

Author: hnt_dnl from United States
16 July 2012

My personal favorite decade never fails to amaze me! Just when I think I've exhausted the time capsule, yet another 80s treasure surfaces. For the first time, I recently saw Teen Witch (1989), contender for one of the most odd cult classics ever! An amalgamation of teen comedy, the supernatural, musical, and coming-of-age, this is just another one of those 80s confections that just plain works! An box office failure, I actually remember this flick from back in the day and it was just one of those I never had a desire to watch. It seemed cheesy, lame, and unwatchable. Honestly, it kind of is none of those things. It's just odd, but in a GOOD way, a true so-bad-it's-good experience!

Teen Witch appeared to try to capitalize on the success of the decade's earlier surprise hit Teen Wolf and draws somewhat on that story. Here, a dour, shy, bookworm and soon-to-be 16-year old girl Louise (played with great charm and ease by then-newcomer Robyn Lively) learns from a local fortune-teller (iconic Zelda Rubenstein from Poltergeist fame) that she is destined to gain witch powers on her 16th birthday. Cut to her 16th birthday...You get the idea! Louise begins to see her newfound powers at work, as she inadvertently controls the actions of her snarky little brother (scene-stealing Joshua Miller), her shallow peers, and her mean-spirited teacher (wonderfully played by Shelley Berman).

The main object of Louise's powers is her snaring of her crush, the school football hero Brad Powell (refreshingly played by Dan Gauthier). I've got to say, Lively and Gauthier have AMAZING chemistry in this! It's hard to believe that Lively was actually 16 years old in real life, because she has an amazing maturity in this. Hard to believe, but Gauthier was 26 years old (10 years Lively's senior!) and she comes across just as mature as him! There are several intense scenes between them that I doubt would get past censors today!

The big pull in this flick for me is the infectious soundtrack, a series of memorable 80s original songs interspersed throughout the movie in the form of dance sequences and mini-music videos. Both the opening "Never Gonna Be" and closing "Finest Hour" dance numbers (performed by Lively and Gauthier and sung by the sadly forgotten 80s singer Cindy Valentine) are keepers as well as pretty much all the songs in between, including the joyous "I Like Boys" girls' locker room dance number (led by cast member Megan Gallivan, who plays Kiki) and the dueling male-female rap number "Top That" performed by cast members Noah Blake (who plays the rapping wannabe Rhet) and Mandy Ingber (who plays Louise's best friend Polly). If a person didn't know any better, they'd think it was a musical! But it's really not.

Strangely enough, even though this movie's premise is rather odd, the occult aspects don't seem that silly to me and the witchcraft scenes between Louise and Zelda kind of draw me in; I really like their mentor-student friendship bond. Also, even though it's obvious that Louise has powers, there are also moments that make one think she's doing a lot of this herself just by having more confidence and transforming her appearance and attitude. The ending speaks to that. I must also note that Louise's parents are played by Dick Sargent (the 2nd Darrin from Bewitched, obvious stunt casting there!) and 80s TV and B-movie stalwart Caryn Kaye (from the 83 sex comedy My Tutor!).

The movie appears to combine elements and themes of several more popular mainstream 80s hit teen movies, such as Sixteen Candles (unpopular girl turns 16 to little or no fanfare and has major crush on school's mos popular guy) and Pretty in Pink (odd-dressing girl looked down upon by the more popular girl cliques). Yet it has the added bonus of the supernatural element and the infusion of 80s music video scenes.

Teen Witch, odd as it is, has so many appealing elements that make it work: an immensely appealing lead who has great chemistry with her male counterpart, memorable supporting characters, fun musical numbers, and a great soundtrack. 80s all the way!

Page 3 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]