IMDb > Teen Witch (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Fun 80's teen movie

Author: rebecca-188 from United States
7 July 2005

I can't help it--I love this movie. It's so adorably cliché and predictable that I get a kick out of it every time that I see it. The soundtrack is great 80's pop, and the songs keep playing in my head long after the movie's over. What teen girl hasn't wished she could "magically" put the "snobby cheerleader" in her place and walk away with the popular guy? Louise gets that chance when she inherits her powers on her 16th birthday and uses them to make herself "the most popular girl." Yes, it's a bit silly in spots, but it has fun dance numbers and great 80's hairstyles and clothes. If you love the 80's, you will enjoy this movie!

Perfect 80's time capsule

Author: perni from Owensboro, KY
12 July 2002

Okay, so the 80's were evil. We can all agree on that statement, right? But Teen Witch is still a fun movie to watch, if only for looking back and laughing at the decade. Pink socks on the fellas, acid wash jeans, Madonna attire...what the heck were we thinking? Aside from the chance to cringe at the fashion trends, Teen Witch has some amusing and truly original moments. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. I'm pretty sure Teen Witch is a musical, even if the movie won't admit it. Who can forget these songs? There's "I Like Boys," where cheerleaders prance around the locker room in neon leotards and treat towels like dance ribbons. And there's "Top That," a rap cession between Acid Wash Boy and Madonna Gal that's hilarious.

2. There's a scene where the Teen Witch and her 'popular' boyfriend explore a lighthouse or something while peeling off small articles of clothing. We leave with them kissing, but its kinda suggestive for a teen movie. Did Teen Witch get herself some action??

3. I like the ending. The cool guy could have turned out to be a jerk, trying to make out with her or something, but Teen Witch doesn't go on that familiar route. Instead the 'geek' manages to nab the cool guy without her powers, showing that she just needed confidence. Way fab.

See Teen Witch. It's like, totally mackadacious. 3 out of 4 stars.

Revenge of the 80's: The white elephant movies.

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
1 July 2004

Teen Witch (1989) was one of those "white elephant" movies that I always found perversely entertaining. I'm like a moth drawn to an open flame whenever this movie is on T.V. I don't know why I like movies like these, but for some strange reason I do. The movie is an exercise in bad acting, gaudy clothes and inane situations. Personally I wouldn't have a movie like this in my collection but whenever it's on I'm there.

A teenage girl (Robin Lively) is about to have her sweet sixteen birthday. One day whilst having bad luck in general, she comes across a palm reader's abode. Seeking calm from the approaching storm she seeks refuge inside. The palm reader is a diminutive woman who reluctantly read the young lady's palm. She's learns from her reading that she's a descendant in the long line of witches just like herself. After learning that she'll be a witch with great powers after her 16th birthday, the woman takes her under her wing. Can she master her powers and make her dreams come true?

Overall the movie isn't all that great. In fact you'll feel kind of silly watching this teenage tripe. The movie has no real message and the supernatural angle is quite lame. When I saw this the first time I hoped something bad would happen to Robin Lively, but it never came to fruition. Oh well, if you really dig 80's movies, this one's for you. Others need not to apply.

Fair.

Everybody wants to be Cinderella

Author: dazda
22 July 1999

I think what makes Teen Witch one of the best 80s "makeover" movie, is that it deals with issues not let on to seriously yet it still touches the heart.

It seems that everyone wants to be "Cinderella." In this story, a teenage girl who feels invisible at her school wants to be the most popular girl at school. After obtaining witch powers, her adventure begins in finding herself.

We all know that this movie is very fiction, but along with all this hocus pocus, comes a certain message. This message being that no matter what you do to change yourself, the real truth and comfort you'll receive comes from your true individual character and that is how you will succeed and will be truly satisfied.

I enjoyed the "musical" parts of the movie, I think they blended it in very well. Lively was very natural in her role and I liked that. Overall I give this movie a 9+, for a movie that isn't meant to be an Oscar worthy one and is made just for pure enjoyment.

Can't TOP THAT!!!

Author: alceda_2000 from Arizona
17 January 2005

ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE!!!! OK so I usually fall for the cheesy ones, especially those of the wonderful 80s, but I really do love this one. If only it wasn't so dang hard to find!!! No movie rental places have it and the only luck I have found is on EBay, and I am scared of that thing!!!! I think the songs are hilarious and I feel like I can really relate to Louise as a teenager who wants the cute guy!!! It is surprising how many people have actually seen this movie (usually because it is played on TV every once in a while, but still it is amusing. If you haven't seen it, and like the cheesy kinds of movies of the 80s, find it, sit down, and ENJOY! Invite me too!

I loved the movie

Author: blair1388 from United States
1 January 2005

I thought Teen Witch was a fun, cute, comedy that is great for kids and teenagers alike. I think it also may have helped my personal rating because it was an 80's film, and I love the 80's. I used to watch it all the time as a kid, but then they stopped playing it, but just about a week ago I saw it on ABC Family, and I was so happy to get to watch it again. The movie also contained fun and upbeat music to listen to throughout the film. Plus you have got to just love their outfits in the movie, they were so colorful and "out there". I love the part in the movie when Louise make the voodoo doll that matches her teacher. I have to admit though Louises younger brother really freaks me out, but hey the movies still a classic!

'Top This?'

Author: bennybumble69 (bennybumble69@hotmail.com) from Bristol, England
11 December 2000

A true eighties teen comedy, but not the best film ever made. If you have watched this film then I'm sure the same bits stick in the memory - The 'Top That' Rap-Off, The cheesy (No, really cheesy) 'I like boys' shower-room scene, and my favourite the 'I can't talk to him, look how funky he is' quote, directed at a boy wearing the sort of clothes that make you cringe when you see them in old photos, the sort of kid that wore fluorescent pink socks to school... The scenes involving her brother are hilarious and provide most of the deliberately funny moments.

I think any movie where a month down the line you can still remember sketches and quotes is worth watching and this is certainly one of those. Watch it and I guarantee that you'll laugh when you're supposed to...and even more when you're not.

I give it a cheesetastic 8/10.

So BAD is GOOD

Author: Ironboundfw from United States
24 July 2003

This movie has no redeeming values. It could possibly be one of the worst movies of all time. Worst acting, worst script, and oh my god, an embarrassment on all the actors resume. At the same time it's freaking irresistible. You have to surrender to the crap fest that this movie is, and then you end up loving it for all it's horriblines... of course the musical numbers are awful, and while watching, I actually feel embarrassed for them... but then I laugh, and then I make fun, ohhh, and what a glorious time you can have watching this awful piece of...

Harmless entertainment, but does have that 'condom' scene.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
2 July 2006

I was expecting a bit more, from the reviews I read. My public library recently got this on DVD, a pretty good transfer for an old (1989) movie, with only one extra, the trailer for this movie.

Robyn Lively is the lead actor in the role of Louise Miller, who we quickly find out is a sort of geek, having skipped a grade and now a senior. She secretly longs for Brad Powell (Dan Gauthier), star football player who is dating the school's most popular girl. A very familiar premise in teen movies.

This one has a twist when Louise finds out from a little old fortune teller that she has latent powers and at her 16th birthday, just a couple of days away, her powers will be manifest. (Lively really was 16 during filming, although Gauthier was in his mid-20s.) Anyway, Louise gains the ability to work magic. In one episode she gets back at her mean English teacher with a voo-doo doll. In another she turns her bothersome brother into a small dog, but he changes back when she dunks him in the bathwater. But her best trick is to arrange it so that everyone likes her, and she becomes the most popular girl at school. Alas, she realizes that this only brings temporary gratification, and in the long run, it is better just to be yourself.

Somewhat entertaining, but it could have been so much better. It is interesting that none of the young actors, 17 years later, are recognizable. A few had ongoing careers in TV supporting roles. It just illustrates how difficult it is to become a movie star.

A Movie that is Awesome in its Badness

Author: tex-42
24 June 2006

Teen Witch is a lot of things, but very few refer to it as a truly good movie. In reality, it is a very bad movie. However, it is one of those truly bad movies that is so bad that it comes full circle and becomes good again.

The plot is your basic teen fantasy/comedy. Louise (Lively) is an unpopular girl at her high school. She desperately pines for the most popular guy in school, while being snubbed by nearly everyone and harassed by her evil professor. Her home life is not much better, her parents are nice, but dim and she has an annoying younger brother. One day Louise discovers she is descended from a long line of witches and proceeds to use her newfound powers to change her circumstances. The predictable thing happens, Louise gets popular, ends up alienating her one true friend, gets the guy and in the end decides to just be herself.

What sets this movie apart is that it is not a musical per se, but includes a large amount of musical numbers set to generally catchy songs. Often these numbers will come out of nowhere, have odd choreography and add little to the plot. The stand out number in this movie would be a song called "Top That", which involves Louise's nerdy best friend getting into a rap off with a boy she likes. It really has to be seen to be believed.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]