IMDb > Steel Magnolias (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Steel Magnolias

Steel Magnolias More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

chick flick with excellent cast

Author: didi-5 from United Kingdom
8 November 2003

"Steel Magnolias" has a fabulous cast of ladies taking the lead roles - Dolly Parton as the beautician/hairdresser who is friends with all and keeps the place going, Sally Field and Julia Roberts as mother and daughter, Daryl Hannah as Parton's assistant, Shirley MacLaine and Olympia Dukakis as two old broads in-fighting, and then some. In the cypher male roles are Sam Shepherd as Parton's husband, and Tom Skeritt as Field's husband.

There is comedy and tragedy a-plenty in this little sleepy Southern village, especially when Roberts (as diabetic Shelby) gets married and the events that happen after. Perhaps the best individual performance comes from Sally Field, especially in the last few scenes. It is a film with a heart and one you'll need to bring your tissues for. Well-scripted and put-together, too.

A fine blend of emotion and intellect

Author: juliafwilliams from New York, NY
14 August 2003

Since I first saw this movie on cable, I have made it one of my all-time favorite movies. Its blend of emotion (laughter through tears, for example) and intellect (dramatizing the ramifications of diabetic complications, such as kidney failure) combine to make it a movie worth watching over.

In addition, the ensemble cast is a unique pairing of three actual southerners (the misses Roberts, Maclaine, and Parton) and three non-southerners (the misses Field, Dukakis, and Hannah).

Genuine Tear-Jerker.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
15 June 2002

Impressive comedy-drama that works due to smart performances and good direction. Young Julia Roberts (Oscar-nominated) becomes the focus very quickly as she is about to be married to Dylan McDermott and wants children, but there is a problem: she is a diabetic and having children poses a real risk to her health. This is at the center of "Steel Magnolias", but there is much more to the film than just that. Sally Field (Roberts' mother), Olympia Dukakis, Shirley MacClaine, Dolly Parton and Darryl Hannah are all along as southern women who experience triumphs and tragedies together. Tom Skeritt and Sam Shepard are solid in supporting roles. 4 stars out of 5.

I love this movie.

Author: larrymp from Commerce, Texas
17 April 2002

This is one of the great ones. I cry everytime I see this film. I think the entire cast is excellent. Sally Field is wonderful. Shirley McClain is marvellous. I think Julia Roberts should have won an Oscar for this film. I am a diabetic and she played the part of a diabetic perfectly.

Music by Georges Delerue

Author: TSMChicago from Palatine, IL
12 February 2002

Okay, it's a chick flick, but it's funny and entertaining. I can't think of a film with more quotable one-liners.

The wonderful score for this picture is by Georges Delerue. It is elegant in it's simplicity and emotion. The main title music, along with Herbert Ross' visuals, exudes all that is good and decent about small town life. It reminds me of Elmer Bernstein's beautiful main theme for "To Kill A Mockingbird".

The DVD allows the viewer to isolate the music away from the dialogue and sound effects. On the commentary track Herbert Ross described how Delerue was not his first choice as a composer for this film. Another "well known" writer's music was rejected in favor of the gorgeous score that now graces this great movie.

The soundtrack is still available.

Solid story telling!

Author: Rosemea D.S. MacPherson from US
28 August 2000

Steel Magnolias has a wonderful cast, and the script Robert Harling ( First Wives Club), is great! He is a solid story teller. The story has humor, conflict, tragedy, and is very educational, showing the different aspects of diabetes. The filmography by Oscar nominee and Golden Globe winner, among others awards, Herbert Ross (Undercover Blues, The Goodbye Girl, The Turning Point) is impressive, worth a look. One of the most interesting aspects of this movie is that they manage to turn beautiful and extremely elegant, Daryl Hannah (Grumpy Old Men, Legal Eagles) into an ugly and off beat character. She is very flaky and weird in this movie. It shows that she has talent. I believe that Julia Roberts (Mystic Pizza, Notting Hill, Erin Brockovich) really knows how to pick her roles. She has a great personality, and I say this not only because she is cute because she is, but because Julia is always positive, smiling, and joking around. I have most of her movies on tape. She is also a great actress. Her accent in this movie is great. Many of the actresses in this movie are from the South. Dolly Parton (Nine to Five) is from Tennessee; Shirley MacLaine (Evening Star, Guarding Tess, Postcards from the Edge) is from Virginia; and Sally Field (Norma Rae, The Flying Nun) has been exposed to the South. They are all good in their accents and roles. My favorite role in this movie is Ouiser played by Shirley MacLaine. I might not agree with Shirley's ideas, but I watched her interview in "Inside the Actors Studio" and she is brilliant and witty. The movie also has the brilliant actors Tom Skerritt (A River Runs Through It) and Sam Shepard (Crimes of the Heart). If you haven't seen this movie, get it and watch it. You will laugh a lot, and get the chance to see Dylan McDermott (The Practice) in one of his first roles. My favorite quotes: M'Lynn: "That church looks like it's been hosed down with Pepto-Bismol." Truvy: "When it comes to pain and suffering, she's right up there with Elizabeth Taylor." Truvy: "Oh, Sammy's so confused he don't know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt." Ouiser: "I'm not crazy, I've just been a very bad mood for the last 40 years!" There are so many great lines that you must see the movie. Favorite Scenes: The women's conversation in the beauty parlor are great and give a great insight into women. That is how they bond.

Steel Mags: A southern flick w/ a lot of spitfire guts

Author: gerry-russell-139 from United States
5 October 1999

Well, dammit, I love this movie. I love Julia Roberts, Shirley MacLaine, Sally Field, Dolly Parton and Daryl Hannah. The film has plenty of laughs,tears, joy, sharing of experiences...it's got something for everyone, male and female.

Shirley MacLaine's character, Ouiser, the town grump is just what the film needs to shed light on comic relief and realism. I tell ya, my mom and I have had a lot of laughs over the scene where Ouiser first meets Annelle (Daryl Hannah) and gives her the feminist's outlook on men ("Men are the most horrible creatures, honey. They will ruin your life, you mark my words"). Along with that there are the tears. Shelby (Julia Roberts) is a diabetic who wants to have a baby and puts herself at a great risk. She ends having to have a kidney transplant with her mother, M'lynn (Sally Field) acting as the only likely donor. However, they do not act in time and sadly, Shelby dies. The scene with M'lynn going ballistic after the funeral is both heart-wrenching and makes a sudden turn into comic relief. Dolly Parton and Olympia Dukakis make for a delightful rounding of the group with their cynical remarks on men, Christianity and issues involving homosexuals. The film is not for all ages (why it was given a PG rating is beyond me) but it is a great friendship film that you will want to see time and time again.

Here's to the power of southern-style friendship!

Required viewing for EVERYONE!

Author: VCRanger from California
16 June 1999

Steel Magnolias is definitely a film that should be viewed by EVERYONE, not just women as it is sometimes labeled as. Top-notch performances by the entire cast, excellent direction and a marvelous screenplay make this movie required viewing by all fans of good movies. A raitng of 9 out of 10 was given

What an awful film

Author: Jeremy Barger (firegod001@msn.com) from Ohio, United States
17 October 1998

Ok, many people like movies that have endless babbling throughout the whole thing, and hey, I like emotional films myself if they are done right, but at least have good acting in the thing. A Chimpanzee could have done a better crying job than Roberts, and how many movies do we have to see where most of the stars are trying to fake a southern accent? Either higher actors who do it better or take out the southern element please. The writing was pitiful, hey go write for soap operas will you, because movies aren't for you. If I want to watch a bunch of women babble I'll go to a NOW meeting ok. This movie was horrible.

I'm a bit too cynical.

Author: copperncherrio from United States
13 March 2011

Granted, this is a movie from the 80s, but it's rather overly silly and annoying. I'm sorry, but it really was. There were some good moments, some woman kinship and whatnot, but it just didn't connect. I think it's me though… My woman kinship bits might be broken. It's not completely out of the question, I'm not big into female family Yaya Sisterhood stuff, where woman moan and groan and act all unreasonably crazy.

I'm a bit too cynical. I guess because there were some deep moments, but mostly predictable and uncalled for… because there was no reasoning behind them. Also, I don't really care for the huge gaps of time with the poor transitioning.

I guess this gripe just has to do with the semi-high expectation since Sally Fields and Julia Roberts is in this film and it just wasn't that spectacular. But with that said, give it a try if you are interested, because at this point in time I think I'm just being picky.

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]