IMDb > Skin Deep (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Falling out of love...

Author: Derek237 from Canada
16 March 2005

Skin Deep starts off to a soulful, bluesy song called "falling out of love" (lyrically quite fitting for the main character), and we see a woman walking into a house. The house belongs to Zach Hutton, and the woman, we assume, is Zach's wife. She catches him fooling around with a young blonde and grabs Zach's revolver. The scene that follows is hilarious; the music has stopped and we're thrust into a tense but funny moment. As it turns out, this woman is not Zach's wife, but his mistress, and she is ready to kill him until his wife walks in. They introduce themselves and share their disappointment in Zach. At this point, I needed to take a very deep breath to brace myself, because it was very obvious that this guy has issues and this movie was going to be full of hilariously painful situations for our hero. It was no big surprise that within the next few scenes he's sobbing in a psychiatrist's office.

This is a comedy that has an exaggerated sense of being true to life. It is somewhat serious, Zach is a tortured soul, but he's mostly casually tortured and takes his abuse with humour, which makes it okay for us to laugh. He's a washed up writer, his wife has left him with a settlement that was not exactly fair to his side, and he can't get over his obsession with picking up women. He's addicted. This is one pathetic man. He endures some of the most hilarious situations ever committed to film (I won't even bother mentioning the glow-in-the-ark condom sequence, but yes, it is hysterical). He also endures genuine sadness in his life, and that makes him more human than just a simple comic sketch, and makes this such a great movie.

The ending wraps things up a little too easily, but what the hell? Comedies usually have happy endings. The ending was satisfactory, but the movie in general was above average. John Ritter was a master at perfecting both drama and comedy, which is what was needed for this role. He did an amazing job, and I feel it's his finest performance, displaying his genuine charm as a comedic actor, as well as the possibly even more intriguing serious side of a conflicted, lost man. I love this movie.

My rating: 10/10

One of the funniest unknown films ever

Author: ( from Terre Haute, IN
16 September 2003

Skin Deep is a very funny film that many people have never heard of. One scene in particular, must be one of the most hilarious ever caught on film. While some of the social views have become dated, If the viewer remembers that the film was created in the late 80's, It is quite enjoyable. Upon John Ritter's untimely passing, I got it out and watched it all over again and was still entertained!

Author: Bill Treadway ( from Queens, New York
7 July 2001

"Skin Deep" was marketed incorrectly. Fox marketed this as a raunchy comedy. It is more of a companion piece to "10" rather than "S.O.B." in that it is fairly serious as well.

But this isn't all drama. "Skin Deep" is not only one of Blake Edwards' very best films, it is probably his most successful combination of comedy and drama to date. Edwards wants to have it both ways and it succeeds.

The film stars John Ritter as Zach Hutton, a one-time famous, best selling author who has stumbled. He is quick to blame it on writer's block, but he has other problems. He drinks excessively. He womanizes even more excessively. His wife has left him after finding him in bed with his mistress' hairdresser. (No, I'm not spoiling the film for you; Edwards makes this all clear in the first 12 minutes) Hutton then sets out on a mission to get his life in order and gain his wife back.

Right there, "Skin Deep" resembles another film, Paul Mazursky's great "Blume in Love". But Edwards takes some turns that Mazursky never even considered. Yeah, Zach wants his wife back, but does he want to change? The answer could be no, but I'm not saying yes either. As in his best films, Edwards never gives any easy answers to the questions he asks and he simply records an existence.

I've made "Skin Deep" sound awfully serious. But I want to say that "Skin Deep" is one of the funniest Edwards films I've ever seen. There are sequences here that rival the best Panther films in terms of hilarity. The house fire. The glow-in-the dark condoms. The electrical therapy sequence. The tsunami warning. His sleepover at his best friends' house, but I can't list them all. I want you to discover some as well.

A real surprise is John Ritter. Most people have written him off as Jack Tripper from his hit TV series "Three's Company", but he has developed into a fine actor with roles in "Sling Blade", "Unnatural Causes" and "Nowhere". Here, he finds the right tone for all of his scenes. He can go from comedy to drama and always be convincing. It's a brilliant performance and it was a real shame the Academy couldn't recognize it.

"Skin Deep" marked a milestone for Blake Edwards. At the time of its' release, 1989 was his 50th year in show business. I've always been an admirer of his work and it gave me great pleasure to see that he still has it in him. It is also kind of sad that Edwards followed this masterpiece with the lackluster "Switch".But at least "Son of the Pink Panther" was a good cap to a great career.

**** out of 4 stars

Good film for John Ritter fans

Author: Jim Michaud ( from Brunswick, Maine
5 April 2003

I rented this video about a year ago & enjoyed this very much. John Ritter plays the character Zack with his trademark physical comedy in full form. Two scenes stand out for me. One is the drop-dead hilarious bit after the therapy session when he goes spastic; and yes, the other is the overrated (but still good) glow-in-the-dark condom fight scene. This is one of Blake Edwards' better films (certainly miles better than "10"). A good film for fans of John Ritter also, especially if all one knows of his acting is the sitcom "Three's Company".

Some of the funniest scenes ever filmed

Author: Dean Speir ( from United States
1 January 2001

This film from Blake Edwards has one of the all-time funniest sequences in it that has even been filmed, and no I'm not talking about the much bally-hoo'd "dueling glow-in-the-dark-condoms" scene.

The post-spa sequence with a spastic John Ritter never fails to put me in grave danger of a major asthmatic attack. It is brilliant physical comedy. See it for that alone… or for the pruriently curious, to see what the Amazonian "Zap" from that strange syndicated physical challenges show of several years back, looks like with her clothes off!

It may not be Edwards' best effort, but it's no where near as dreadful as others here have suggested.

Atypical Blake Edwards' Comedy showcases John Ritter in top form!

Author: Heiress from United States
3 June 2002

John Ritter plays a familiar Blake Edward's character who is at the same time a pathetic but intelligent man who is losing everything to his vices. In this case, Zach is a successful author who is hitting rock bottom due to alcoholism and his non-stop womanizing. John Ritter's physical comedy is hilarious yet he portrays this pathetic character with great sensitivity. You watch as this man slowly and painfully spirals down and the women who try to help redeem him slowly get dragged down with him. But Edwards is a master at allowing us to laugh-out-loud at his slow and quiet self destruction. Who will ever forget the....glow-in-the-dark duel? or the body builder? or how about the morning after in the guest room? The slow ride to rock bottom made his redemption all the more sweet. I was pleasantly surprised at how "deep" this movie truly is. If you are looking for the slapstick of pure Clouseau, this is not your movie. I suspect most of those who disliked this movie were seeking that exact Blake Edwards formula comedy. However, he surprised us all with the kind of depth that belies the title.

Loved it

Author: jblatt from Bradenton, Florida
11 August 2006

A favorite of mine. John Ritter was amazing in the role. His comedic timing was great. He displayed the most genuine emotions in this film.

Of course the condom scene is an absolute classic. As well as when he is leaving the clinic after the shock therapy performed by his ex.

But my favorite scenes are near the end. When he is with his shrink and talks about wanting to kill himself. The pain and confusion he displays was worthy of an Oscar in my opinion. A brief, but wonderfully powerful scene.

John Ritter was always a favorite of mine. He seemed like the sweetest man you would ever want to meet. From what I have read about him, that was consensus from those who knew and worked with him.

I have always loved movies about redemption. And this is a great one.

I bet John is in Heaven right now, making people smile.

It's Ritter.. Ritter all the way !

Author: san07 from Kerala, India
26 July 2005

John Ritter makes Zach and the film memorable. It's more or less a one man show by him, though the character hardly has an element of heroism in it. He wonderfully transforms himself into Zach Hutton, a writer by profession with a weakness for drinks and women. He faces the fury of boyfriends of the women, and later, the revenge of the girls themselves, after they break up.

The movie progresses with hilarious sequences, at times slap-stick. Be sure not to miss the dialogues, for there are many instances when humour makes its presence in the most unexpected of situations. Altogether non stop entertainment is warrantied..

Author: nank1971 from Roseburg Oregon
9 September 2004

I was saddened to see this movie replayed on commercial TV. They have cut all of the funny out of it and made it a drama. I recommend getting your hands on a VHS copy of this movie and sitting down to enjoy yourself. It is classic John Ritter. Every time I watch this (I own the tape) I laugh so hard that I cry. I give it a 9 because it keeps you going. SPOILER: ( the dog superglued to the ceiling is one of the funniest things I have ever seen). This movie shows some of the best acting skills for some hardly seen actors. There was no possible way for them to make a follow-up movie- but the director/producer/writer/actors should have gotten together for another project. It would have been great.

Highly Underrated

Author: bluemond from Berkeley, California
15 January 2004

I loved this movie. the story was cheesy, but done well. the psychiatrist was hilarious. stockard channing was hilarious.

there were glowing condoms for goodness sake. but most of all, John Ritter is phenomenal. The sequence after the shock therapy, is the funniest physical comedy scene I have ever seen on film.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]