IMDb > See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Underrated comedy

Author: Smoothpants from Cambria Heights, NY
4 June 2003

This pairing of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, while not "Silver Streak" and not the first half of "Stir Crazy", is still an amusing comedy with some absolutely hilarious moments. I mean, let's face it...the second half of Stir Crazy is as boring as it gets. This film lags in spots, but the chemistry of Pryor and Wilder does satisfy. Stay away from "Another You" (as I did). I figured that this film was as good as we were going to get from Pryor and Wilder. Was I right? I dunno. I stayed away from "Another You".

Pryor to This there has never been a comedy Wilder

Author: marcusgray100 from Bristol, England
19 January 2004

I love this movie and I love Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder. On the face of it they're both so utterly unfunny that they come full circle on the crapometer right back round to funny. You have to hand it to them. These guys have made several films together, all of which are arguably quite rubbish, yet I always wizz myself laughing whenever I watch any of them. By the way, for all you Wilder/Pryor slapstick-duo film fan freaks out there, I stole that amazingly funny quote in my summary from the back of the Stir Crazy box. So sue me if I want to use the best line I've ever read on the back of a video box ever, anywhere in the whole wide world. You know, you should always judge a film by it's cover, and even more so by the description on the back. How could you not fall over, doubled-up in uncontrollable fits of laughter, face contorting, body spasming in the video store when you see Pryor/Wilder on the front cover of a video, one pretending he can't see, the other pretending he can't hear. Then you read the back cover and you nearly die laughing before you reach the counter due to the over-use of words such as, crazy, zany, nuts, wacko, crackers, mad-cap, caper, loony, escapades, hilarious, romp etc. etc. I mean, if you've ever seen this film, you'll know what a total load of lies that is, but they're real funny lies. All this and you have not even left the video store. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but any film that has normal, well adjusted members of the film watching community thrashing about on the floor of a video store, really should have cleaned up at the oscars. Ok, so I exaggerate. Or do I. Come on then. Lets hear some Pryor/ Wilder collaboration appreciation.

Wilder and Pryor Are Together Again!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
15 August 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

In New York live two gentlemen: Dave Lyons and Wally Karew. They're as normal as every other human being around, except for one difference: Dave is deaf and Wally is blind. They meet one day when Wally looks, or rather seeks, a job at Dave's news stand. Their encounter doesn't go too well but is quite hilarious. Wally invites Dave to meet a friend of his, Harvey Wallbanger. So at the bar, a fight ensues.

The next day, there was a murder at the news stand. Wally heard it and Dave saw it, almost. But when the cops show up, they figure Dave and Wally are the killers and take them into custody. The surly Captain Braddock tries to interrogate them but isn't too successful. The real killers, Kirgo and Eve, act as Wally and Dave's attorney. They recognize them immediately but Braddock doesn't believe them, so they must escape or face real trouble. So they escape and snatch a patrol car. Only problem: Wally was driving. They end up on a garbage boat bound for New Jersey.

They immediately recuperate and seek help from Wally's sister, Adele. They try and catch the killers in a hotel by using aliases. Wally is Dr. Johansen of Sweden and Dave is Dr. Kesselring from Germany. Kirgo and Eve kidnap Adele and head for their hideout. Wally and Dave come to the rescue and meet the head boss behind it all: Mr. Sutherland, who is blind like Wally. Well in the end, the real killers go to jail, except for Kirgo and Sutherland who are killed. And Captain Braddock was disappointed because he couldn't shoot Dave and Wally. A funny movie. Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder are great together. If you liked this movie, I also recommend Silver Streak, Stir Crazy, and Another You. If you're just a Richard Pryor fan, I recommend Moving or The Toy. If you're just a Gene Wilder fan, I recommend Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Blazing Saddles, or Young Frankenstein. But which ever you are, don't forget to see See No Evil, Hear No Evil. I like the part when Dave is getting his picture taken in jail, but he can't hear the camera woman so he keeps turning his head. He did it right when the picture was taken so she walked out of the room yelling the S-word. Funny!

This collaboration of Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder is very funny to hear and see.

Author: Aaron1375
7 October 2010

Of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor's team ups, this one ranks as my favorite. Granted it is not the most successful as I believe "Stir Crazy" was their biggest hit together, I still find this one the most funny. The story has Gene playing someone who is deaf and Pryor as someone who is blind. Right there you have the makings of a funny film as each other has to cope with the others handicap as Pryor's character tries to get a job at Gene's news stand where they become friends and have a very funny altercation at a bar. Well things start to spiral out of control as a person is murdered and our two heroes as it were get the blame. So they are off on a wild chase to first escape the police, then avoid recapture and finally find the people responsible for the murder. It plays out very well as by now Gene and Richard work perfectly together. Kind of a shame that Gene does not really appear in anything these days or for the last several years. He was a very funny comedic actor to be sure. This film is funny to be sure as well. A lot of good humor and it never really has to many sentimental moments either. It moves quickly too so all in all a funny comedy from two very funny guys.

Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder in top form

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
3 September 2016

David Lyons (played by Gene Wilder), a deaf man, runs a convenience store. He recently hired Wally Karue (Richard Pryor), a blind man. A murder is committed in front of the store and both are present but due to their impairments, can't identify the murderer. Moreover, they are the police's prime suspects and are arrested for the murder. They manage to escape but now they have the police and the actual murderers after them.

A good comedy, with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder at the top of their games and at the peak of their partnership. Some great skits, generally revolving around their handicaps, and some great one- liners.

The deaf-guy-and-blind-guy routine works very well and is reasonably consistent. There are a few moments where you figure "he couldn't have heard/seen that" but it is generally quite sound.

The broader plot does bring down the quality a notch or two though, regenerating into farcical chase scenes or cheap stunts and jokes at times.

As mentioned, great work by Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor in the lead roles. Among the supporting cast, Joan Severance is worth watching for many reasons: stunningly beautiful and gives a solid performance as one of the bad guys.

Kevin Spacey demonstrates that even great actors have to start somewhere (this was his fourth feature film): his gets to play a cartoonish bad guy with a silly accent and even sillier moustache and has very little room to show his acting talents. Yet, from such beginnings, great careers are born.

Good entertainment.

Hilarious!!!

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
13 February 2016

A great chemistry brings a great film they don't make them like this anymore that's for sure. You have a guy that can't hear anything and another one that can't see i know it sounds pretty crazy but that is why the movie works probably the most original film ever made i never doubted Richard Pryor's acting and for sure he was a great actor and roles like this was great for him but to be fair i never wanted to see him in Superman 3 but still he did a pretty good job in both films but mostly in this one. Definitely a great comedy that has some mature dialogue, nudity and hilarious one liners. 80's movies at their best also the late Gene Wilder gives a great performance as well and let's not forget a young Kevin Spacey years before Se7en.

Surprisingly Funny!

Author: Gustavo Schroeder A
18 July 2015

See No Evil, Hear No Evil is a funny movie, don't listen to Rotten Tomatoes or anything like that if you watch this. The movie has very bad reviews and I was very surprised when I watched this!

So the script is pretty terrible and the story is not believable at all, but the chemistry between Wilder and Pryor just makes this an enjoyable film. The humor may be hit or miss for some and sometimes it just gets way too moronic, but still the movie is fun. This is mostly because of the charismatic characters of Wilder, Pryor and Spacey. Oh and the killer lady is also a treat to the eyes, of course.

I was planning on trashing this movie before I'd even seen it, but I would be lying if I told you See No Evil, Hear No Evil had me laughing, and hard at times. An enjoyable comedy from the 80's.

Not Wilder or Pryor's Finest Work but Has Its Moments,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
8 June 2014

See No Evil,Hear No Evil is a decent movie with a mediocre storyline but a good comedic cast.I always like seeing Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder on screen together,the two always have great chemistry on screen and are clearly great friends,this movie is no exception,but it's just not the best movie either of them has done.I really enjoyed Pryor's performance,he did a great job pretending to be blind,he always looked straight ahead and was very convincing.I also appreciated Joan Severance and Kevin Spacey,Severance is very funny and attractive,and this is one of the first films Spacey has ever starred in,it's certainly not his finest performance,but he played his character well and this movie started off a great career for this man.See No Evil,Hear No Evil is worth the watch if it is on TV,it's short and has its some moments that are quite funny,but it's nothing outstanding.

Two friends,one blind and one deaf,go on the run to clear their names when they become murder suspects.

Best Performance: Richard Pryor

For Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor, third time's the charm in their such teaming in See No Evil, Hear No Evil

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
18 February 2012

After nearly 25 years of reading about See No Evil, Hear No Evil, I finally watched it on Netflix Streaming. It stars Richard Pryor as Wally, a blind man and Gene Wilder as Dave, a deaf one. They form an unlikely friendship as both become "witnesses" of a murder. The villains are portrayed by Joan Severance and Kevin Spacey who I remember were also bad people on the TV series "Wiseguy" during this time. There are a lot of gags concerning both blindness and deafness but I don't think there was any meanness in intent in doing those scenes as both Pryor and Wilder have that sweetness inherent here that also served them well in their previous collaborations in Silver Streak and Stir Crazy. Though the fact that Ms. Severance is soooo fine here meant that, yes, she's the target of some what would now be called sexist jokes, I don't think they're that offensive. So on that note, I highly recommend See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

Very good, but lacks the charm of their first movies.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
31 December 2003

I enjoyed this endeavor very much. As an avid fan of both Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder, I enjoy all their team ventures. And while I did find this movie very entertaining, it also lacked some of the magick of the first few.

Wilder plays a deaf entrepreneur, and Pryor is an unemployed blind man who comes to Wilder for a job. From the very beginning, this movie is hilariously clever. I did enjoy it, though it was a very bittersweet experience, seeing Pryor so ill, and Wilder so much in pain. It showed through both their performances.

Unfortunately, the unforgiving public did not understand, and assumed their talents were lacking, rather than there were other problems. I can only hope this will not be their last thespian collaboration.

It is well worth a viewing or two.

It rates a 7.4/10 from...

the Fiend :.