IMDb > Rude Awakening (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rude Awakening

Rude Awakening More at IMDbPro »

This is a very funny movie that is worth watching more than once!

Author: daviddouglas from United States
23 December 2006

I cannot understand why this movie is not rated higher. I have seen this movie several times and it gets funnier and better each time. It is unique and if you are a Baby Boomer that attended university during the 70's, it will bring back some beautiful and nostalgic memories of period of youthful innocence and curiosity that so quickly came and then disappeared. It was an age of new thoughts and philosophies that were lost to our Boomer generation during the oncoming greed and corruption that arose in the selfish "Yuppie" 80's. If you have not seen it ... I recommend you watch it with someone who lived through this time period. Further, if you have seen it before and failed to take it in and appreciate its a unique capturing of a special time in our Boomer generation, try it a second time and perhaps you will get it...because it is definitely there and worth a second chance.

Kicks the evil 80s in the teeth

Author: (thehumanduvet@hotmail.com) from uk
1 March 2000

Classic tale of two stoners dropping out to have a good time in the jungle for twenty years and then coming back to find the whole world has been taken over by a terrible sickness known as the eighties - yup, they all wear stupid clothes and talk and do a load of rubbish, while the real men from the sixties have all kiinds of trouble fitting in and showing people the value of slobbing around, caning it and having fun without dressing up like Rebecca DeMornay in Weird Science. This film carries a very important message for us all about avoiding eighties style and values, but, like the other guy said, don't watch it in a serious mood, this is a hilarious comedy classic NOT a horror flick, after all.

God bless the American dream, LSD and imaginary fish...

Author: toesucker120 from United Kingdom
25 September 2005

Basically, this is a stoners film and a true great. Kicks the Cheech and Chong films into touch. Trippy, astute, hilarious; a combination of sharp wit and pure slapstick. If you're a stoner and like movies, this is a MUST. Eric Roberts is... well... Eric Roberts, but a lot more likable to my mind than usual. And Cheech is Cheech, just as likable, and stoned, as ever.

The plot is as skimpy as you would expect. Our heroes are living the hippy dream. They retire into an idealistic commune only to be dragged from it years later by the threat of an impending war only THEY can avert. But when they return to the world to rally the troops they find their old comrades in arms have turned into nasty, 80s yuppies. So it is to them to take on the mantle of Guardian, to our ethical choices, to our liberty and to our sanity...

The storyline is actually not bad but it is Cheech who makes the show.

The opening scene shows a group of American scientists experimenting with him, attempting to convert this die-hard hippie into a model soldier via ridiculous amounts of acid. Flashbacks and hallucinations become normal life for him.

Oh, and have I mentioned the fish... ?

This is a silly yet moralistic movie. It is heartwarming and funny. I love this film.

Good Film Great Fun.

Author: tenchgirl from United Kingdom
20 April 2003

Good film, the fish parts are great, The scenes with the Stools are great especially Mrs. Stool & Jesus, Terminally fun, Jesus goes through life completly stoned, while Fred struggles with coming down and finding the 60's have turned into the 80's and money talks, enviromental disasters are rife, and that not everyone is please to see him. Petra is a walking complex time bomb, wanting to be loved although running away, shes always trying to FIND herself to no avail while Sammy (ex 60's geek) makes some money which turns into more and a spoiled must have wife,hippy son and a am I good enough complex.

Great film which brings back together 4 friends after the 60's with serious, funny, tragic and soul searching consequences.

Watch out for the fish.

I loved this movie...eventually

Author: gglimmer-1 from United States
30 December 2006

Hey, this movie was on HBO in the eighties...thats when I got it on tape. Then the years went by...and eventually I lost my cable connection somewhere around 1998...funny, but I never saw this movie on cable since. I luckily had it on tape and it "grew" on me...I just kept remembering it, and laughing.... I am so glad I had it on tape...cuz I don't think it ever came back...but it is a delight. If you like Cheech and Chong then you know you like "stupid" comedy...yup I like it...I like them....LOL

This movie is a classic in my opinion....there is stuff here under the surface that is important....check it out! The movie lays out some down home ideas of brotherhood and peace that the world needs! (my world needs them!) Love to All! Peace, bro!

From Flashback to Déjà Vu

Author: wes-connors from Los Angeles
31 July 2008

In 1969, peace loving hippies Eric Roberts (as Fred) and Cheech Marin (as Hesus) flee to Central America, to avoid being drafted into Vietnam War service. Why the US government believes Mr. Marin would be of any real use during warfare is never explained; but, Mr. Roberts looks like a major Commie-killing loss. Anyway, they spend the next 20 years hiding in the jungle, smoking marijuana, and enjoying peace. Their hippie friends, Julie Hagerty (as Petra) and Robert Carradine (as Sammy), remain behind. While in Central America, Roberts and Marin learn about a US invasion plan, and decide to return to New York, and stop the war. They are in for a rude awakening...

In 1989, the peace movement appears dead. Roberts and Marin try to adapt to the changes in American society. They try to re-connect with Ms. Hagerty and Mr. Carradine, who have become materialistic yuppies. How can they erase their friends' 1980s brainwashing, avoid capture by perseverating FBI man Cliff De Young (as Brubaker), and stop the war?

Aaron Russo and Neil Levy's underrated "Rude Awakening" certainly doesn't always work; but, it's funny more often than not. Roberts and Marin are almost a satirical casting in-joke (sixties, meet the eighties). One of the film's most obvious misses is that the main attempt to transcend a 20-year-gap is an unconvincing pair of pasted-on beards. Although, to answer Roberts' later, more general question, "How's my hair?" Great. It's impossible to hold back laughing at Marin's first meeting with the "fish". But, they should have used Don Knotts voice. Of the four "hippie" friends, Carradine's is, performance-wise, most convincing. Check out Louise Lasser (as Ronnie)'s customers!

The highlight of the film is a terrific "cocktail party" hosted by Carradine and uptight wife Cindy Williams (as June). They are visited by the "Stools", Buck Henry (as Lloyd) and Andrea Martin (as April). A cocktail party attended by Cheech Marin, Eric Roberts, Robert Carradine, Buck Henry, Cindy Williams, and Andrea Martin is every bit as funny as it sounds. If only they could have figured out how to get Lasser there (and the overhead mike out). There are enough funny moments, all around; but, the hilarious supporting characterizations by Martin and Williams, alone, make this well worth watching.

****** Rude Awakening (1989) Aaron Russo ~ Eric Roberts, Cheech Marin, Andrea Martin

"Hey man check it out !"

Author: merklekranz from United States
27 August 2015

"Rude awakening" is a creative "fish out of water" scenario, including a talking, pot smoking fish. Eric Roberts and Cheech Marin escape to a South American utopia, avoiding the Vietnam War, but returning twenty years later to help stop another war. Problem is the "Hippie Movement" has moved on to materialistic endeavors. Thus the stage is set for Roberts and Marin trying to adjust to their friends cop out lives. The supporting cast here is excellent, with Julie Hagerty, Louise Lasser, and especially Buck Henry and Cindy Williams as the "Stools". Disillusioned by the apparent lack of interest for their "save the world" cause, Roberts and Marin refuse to give up, and eventually succeed. The movie is a great nostalgia trip for the right audience. - MERK

Loved It!

Author: Philaura from Hollywood, CA
3 September 1999

Very funny and very sad in the truths questioned. Eric Roberts is a doll. Cheech Marin is hysterical and my favorite, Mrs. Stool. She had me in tears. Why haven't we seen more of this actress? It's a good, fun time that throws out food for thought.

An under-rated, lost gem!!

Author: htownsteve from United States
29 December 2013

This is one of the greatest movies from the 80's, fitting that it is 1989. It signifies the end of two eras in one film. Do NOT let the crappy "4.0" fool you. That rating signifies the 17 people on IMDb who have seen this movie. It's not on Netflix, or at Wal-mart; so no one has seen it. Hell, nobody is going to read THIS for a few years so I'm basically wasting time. FIND this movie, WATCH this movie! Great stuff!

AND....for the two haters that gave the bad reviews? YOU are the ones the movie makes fun of. Get over yourself.

Still doubters? What else, HTownSteve can you tell us? I say to you, Look at the cast.

The protest movement as a backcloth for jokes?

Author: Emil Bakkum from Netherlands, Utrecht
7 September 2011

The hippie theme fascinates me. Although at the time the movement was too bold for me, I keep wondering whether I may have missed something. Thanks to the IMDb I was able to discover the film Rude Awakening, for it is advocated by visitors on the message board of the film Hair. I had already watched Hair and was dissatisfied because of its distortion of the original narrative in the musical. On the other hand I really liked the Swedish film Tillsammans (Together), and appreciated Strawberry Statement. Actually the hippie movement is probably universal, although the motorcycle and camper van aspect (Easy Rider!) appears to be typically American. I guess that the European countries are too small for that. Rude Awakening is presented as a comedy, which of course is just an alternative approach to narrate dramatic events. In the story two New York hippies, Fred and Hesus, have traveled in 1969 to a fictitious Latin American state in order to found a commune in the jungle. They have embraced the soft drug culture, and make a living by growing hemp for the production of hashish. (By the way, in the Netherlands the cultivation of hemp for the production of hash is illegal but the sale of soft drugs isn't). Fred is obviously the leader of the colony, and Hesus has become an addicted zombie, who takes anything that might be hallucinatory. Although the addiction of Hesus looks hilarious, in real life it is fairly commonplace. Therefore his role is perhaps meant to be a warning signal: a history of even moderate hash consumption will lead to severe symptoms at old age. In 1989 a CIA agent is fatally wounded by the local revolutionary army, and in his last moments hands over to Fred a secret dossier about a forthcoming American invasion. Fred decides to alert the American public, and returns to New York, together with Hesus, who follows him more or less like a pet. Fred reanimates his former contact in the hippie movement, notably the former commune members Petra and Sammy. However, Petra and Sammy have done extremely well, and have made careers for themselves. It is understandable, that they are shocked to see their former acquaintances, and loathe the appearance of Hesus. But here the story takes a strange turn, because suddenly Petra and Sammy regress into their abjured hippie attitude. Clearly Rude Awakening is not meant to be a study of characters. In the mean time the FBI starts to hunt Fred in an attempt to recover the secret dossier. Here Hesus plays a heroic and illogical part, when during a gun fight he manages to disarm one of the FBI agents. The quartet decides to occupy the main building on the N.Y. university campus. From its balcony Fred informs the crowd of students about the forthcoming invasion and tries to stir a rebellion. However, the times have changed since 1969, and his speech only serves to increase the already bellicose spirit of the American people. (An old lady sighs: "We have not won something for a long time"). Fred collapses in despair, and loathes his former vegetating life in the jungle. Still he decides to return to the jungle (it remains a mystery why), but just then a group of students appeals to him for guidance in the renewal of the civil movement. This climax is apparently the definite acknowledgment of the avant-garde function of the movement of 68, and its lasting influence on society. Unfortunately Rude Awakening has too many evident weaknesses. The characters lack logic and depth, the dialogs are superficial and childish, and many of the events are absurd. Some instances may provide food for thought and meditation, like the balcony scene, where Fred asks: "How is my hair?" Remember that hair is a symbol of the movement of 68, the name of another hippie film etc. But this is just not enough for a film that pretends to be a reflection on an influential cultural and historical movement. So maybe this protest movement features as nothing more than a backcloth for jokes. Rude Awakening is too lighthearted and senseless for my taste, and I recommend Tillsammans or Strawberry Statement instead.