IMDb > The Journey to Melonia (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Resan till Melonia

The Journey to Melonia More at IMDbPro »Resan till Melonia (original title)

best cartoon movie

Author: Masztaar from sweden
3 April 2003

Hi, as a swede i can say that this is the most beautiful cartoon movie ever made (its swedish), there has never been made anything like it, per åhlin has a special way to make his cartoons.

this movie fits people of all ages, it never gets boring. i cant discribe in words how wonderful this movie is, you immidiately want to live in "melonia" because its so wonderful.

this is my favourite cartoon movie of all time if not my favourite alltime-movie, i recommend everyone to watch it, i dont know if theres an american verision out but lets hope to the gods that there is.

no one should miss this movie ever, there is nothing like it and you feel overwhelmed with joy and happiness when you watch it. If i keep on this will just get boring to read, but if you see this movie somewhere, get your hands on it.

Excellent movie

Author: oktaytaskapan from Turkey
5 October 2005

This movie reflects the culture and intelligence of distinguished European animated filmmakers. Per Ahlin's personal drawing style and characters are unique. The film is based on Shakespeare's masterpiece, the storm. First of all, it presents a strong message on the future of humanity, life and environmental pollution. This is one of the best animated movies I have ever seen. In my opinion this movie can be compared only to Miyazaki's "Spirited Away". It is clear that Per Ahlin is one of the most talented animators in the world. All children must see this movie ! And a last word: A nice treatment for humans suffering from Disney movies !

A feel-good, Shakespearian, colorful, character based film...

Author: longskonk from Sweden
2 August 2004

Over the sea lie Plutonia, an evil and destroyed island controlled by two icky capitalist forcing poor children to make weapons. But the island is about to rust and go under. So they are going to build their factories on Melonia, a beautiful island controlled by the magician Prosphero. When they reach Melonia their plans changes when they discovers the magic of Prosphero... And basically things get worse...

"Resan till Melonia" ('The Trip to Melonia') is another triumph alongside Per Åhlin's other movies: "Dunderklumpen" ('The Big Super Dude Lump'), "Karl Bertil Johnssons Julafton" ('Carl Bertil Johnsson's Christmas Eve') and the latest "Hundhotellet" ('The Dog hotel').

He makes a wonderful movie out of Shakespeare's "The Tempest". It's thoughtful, witty, funny and very beautiful. I've only seen it in Swedish. Then it produces a lot of quotes to remember, and the lovely voice acting that comes with the quotes is just great! I have no idea about foreign versions, or if the translation is poor (well, it's Shakespeare so it shouldn't be that bad in English either...) – there's always the possibility to enjoy Åhlin's wonderful unique pictures.

If you want to see a movie with quality and genuine feeling to it, see this one.

wonderful and imaginative

Author: emmiwemmy
26 March 2008

WOW! Number one on my list of animated films... and ranking high on my all time favourites list as well. I grew up with this and I'm not sure how many times I have seen it, yet I seem to find something new to delight me almost every time I watch this masterpiece. I wholeheartedly recommend this film!

The style of animation is unique and really refreshing compared to what else is out there. It's a film for children and adults alike, it does not patronise the viewer and it's not pretentious. Nor does it put style before substance, which you tend to find is the case with a lot of the animation that falls outside the mainstream. 10 cupcakes out of ten! See it!

Nobody Shall Rule!

Author: OdanUrr from Sweden
1 June 2009

Resan Till Melonia is an early masterpiece from Per Åhlin. The Swedish readers probably recognize his other work "Dunderklumpen" or "Karl Bertil Johnsson".

The plot is simple, there are two islands, Plutonia and Melonia. Plutonia is ruled by two villains named Slug and Slagg, and Melonia is ruled by Prospero the all powerful wizard. Slug and Slagg has made Plutonia into an island made of machines, and made the children operate the machines like slaves.

One boy named Ferdinand escapes and makes the trip to Melonia, where he meets Prospero and all the other creatures that live there. Together they decide to rescue all of Ferdinands friends.

If you have seen "Dunderklumpen" you know what to expect. Pure magic. Åhlin is the real all powerful wizard. Don't let the language discourage you to watch this, I know that subtitles do exist. This is a true work of art by one of the Swedish wizards of animations.