Pryde of the X-Men (TV Short 1989) Poster

(1989 TV Short)

27 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Not as great as you'd think -- but an interesting Team Line-Up.
B.R. (Havoc1)16 August 1999
Pryde of the X-Men. Not the WORST ten dollars I ever spent... but it sure wasn't X-Men the Animated Series. Putting together a good team wasn't enough to make this 25 minute cartoon a decent one. Staring, Cyclops, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Dazzler (yeah!), and the newcomer Kitty Pryde (Shadowcat), the X-Men go off to face Magneto, and attempt to stop him and his brotherhood from allowing a comet to strike Earth. While the movie flows very well, I just didn't think it had enough... "pizazz" to make it a truley interesting cartoon. For one, the characters were way underused. Cyclops, Storm, and Dazzler (yeah!!), each had about 4 lines. At least they didn't mention Cyke's family, Storm being a goddess, or Dazzler's music career, otherwise people'd be lost.

Animation was good in this -- almost had a manga feel to it, and when Dazzler used her powers it looked very cool. The voice talents were kind of thrown... Wolverine had an AUSSIE accent *shakes head*, Dazz sounded like a schoolgirl, and Colossus just sounded funny. Another bad thing is the fact Nightcrawler's costume was the same color of his skin. Heh... not all too plesant when you think about it.

The Brotherhood fight scenes were probably the worst parts of this movie . You know what I mean, that "one person takes on one guy instead of the whole team knocking him senseless in one strike". Dazzler takes on Pyro, team goes on. Wolverine TRAPS Toad (and for some reason stays behind), team goes on. Colossus takes on Juggernaut, team goes on! See the pattern? Although the beginning scene where the White Queen takes on the soldiers was a very cool scene. Have to give credit for that.

So basically, this movie doesn't have much to offer -- except if you're a BIG Shadowcat or Dazzler (yeah!!) fan like myself. But if you're a Dazzler fan, don't expect a great performance... and if you're a Kitty fan, expect to hear her whine like Kath Souice 's (voice talent of Kitty) Phil and Lil of the Rugrats.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This one time deal left me wanting more.
spock06517 December 2000
This one time deal left something to be desired. I remember this show coming on during the Marvel Action Hour with Robocop, Dino Riders, and something else, possibly Spiderman. X-men was made by Sunbow, the powerhouse of the 80's, so the voices were some of the same people heard in GI Joe. The story of is fast paced and reads like a comic strip with action left and right. The black bird looks better than the recent futuristic versions out there. They also stay very close to the comic unlike other versions. This one timer was probably just to promote the video game, but it should have been a series. Who knows what would've happened if it was a series, it sure would have been better than the newer versions now.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not bad, actually
Gambitt29 December 2004
Considering how old this is, Pryde of the X-men is not too bad. Particularly, the animation and artwork are at least as good, if not better, than the 90s animated series. The style of the art is actually quite faithful to the comic books. The voice acting was okay though the voice casting was a bit liberal; many of us have simply grown so used to the voice acting of the 90s cartoon that anything different seems odd, and even more recently we've been spoiled by fantastic actors like Patrick Stewart in the movies. The only bizarre (and arguably wrong) voice was Wolverine, who for some odd reason has an Australian accent.

Otherwise, the biggest weakness is the relatively weak plot and script. The plot seems rushed and a bit ambitious(the show is only 20 minutes), though it's hard to say what the creators' intentions were since this was the only episode made. All in all, Pryde of the X-men is a good watch for X-men fans, especially fans of the 70s and 80s rosters.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
not THAT bad!
Dougie B24 July 2003
Why does everyone seem to hate this? Sure, the story was 100% generic, but it was definitely watchable. While the Saban cartoon that followed it around four years later was much more complex story-wise, its animation couldn't hold a candle to this one. If they were somehow able to combine this cartoon's animation with the stories of the show that came after this, we would have had a GREAT series.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is NOT related to any other x-men show
mopykid2 September 2004
It perterbs me everyone online assumes this was some kind of pilot for the 90s x-men show but how can they believe that if this aired in 1989 and the x-men series didn't start until 1992??? This was actually one of many single shot episodes marvel stuffed in its Marvel Action Hour without planning at all to continue the show in its own series. It is an excellent watch if you can find it. What's better than Wolverine, who was Canadian don't forget, speaking with the most horrible Australian accent?!?! And like the other comment on this show, it has an excellent story with good characters for a single shot show. I wasn't old enough to have seen this in its original air date along with its other Action Hour companions so it may have even been better with a taste of spiderman before and some hulk afterwards but i'll never know.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More faithful than "X-Men: Evolution"
balkaster30 August 2003
This forgotten late-eighties pilot showed promise but was never picked up as a series. Although the characterizations are annoyingly overwrought (in typical Saturday morning fashion), the adaptation was very faithful to the source material. The producers chose a mid-eighties line-up (Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Dazzler, Kitty Pryde) and concisely setup the struggle between the two mutant factions while briefly outlining the comic book's continuity at that time. The only misfire was Wolverine's inexplicable Cockney accent (the character is supposed to be Canadian, not British). They even managed to include Lockheed, Kitty's ridiculous pet dragon. Not a bad job, and it proves that you *don't* have to extensively reinvent the comic (as was done with "X-Men: Evolution") in order to make it work on the small screen.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny as hell, It's so bad it's good!
kevageit26 April 2006
But really you have to wonder what the writers were thinking. Magneto sending a comet slamming into the Earth to kill all the humans... That would most likely kill EVERYTHING!!! Not just humans. Mutants, humans, bugs (except cockroaches of course). Maggie is a bad ass but not retarded, even Toad would realize that would be a bad move.

If you have not seen this, then download it and watch it. It is one of the funniest things any X-Men fan could watch. Nightcrawler sounds like a pervert when he talks to kitty, Colossus has the stereo-typical broken English with the thick Russian accent, Wolverine's Austrailian, and it gets worse from there, Toad has the typical Igor voice, Juggernaut is working for Magneto for some reason (he's not even a mutant), Emma Frost is with the Brotherhood for some reason and when Juggernaut and Colossus fight they are evenly matched, and for you animal rights people out there Magneto boots around Lockheed a whole lot for no apparent reason.

I'd watch it again but I can't stop laughing.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great effort!
Bond007rlz6 August 2003
This is probably one of the best comic enspired TV series ever! Sadly, the pilot was never turned into a series!! It was a great adaptation of the comic book, and was home of some of the best voice talent of the time. Sadly, the show was shelved, and several years later, when X-Men made it to TV, a weaker cartoon was devised. This is eternally regarded as the difinitive X-Men cartoon in my book, and should be seen by any X-Fan! If you are lucky enough to find the VHS copy, buy it! I did, and I've never regretted it.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
more praise
rockinghorse21 July 2004
This cartoon is in keeping with X-Men continuity and characters other than Wolverine (wrong accent, too tall).

If you like the Evolution cartoon, which has nothing to do with either the comic books or the 90s cartoon, you probably won't like this.

If you follow the X-Men somewhat faithfully and like the 80s cartoon, and can ignore Wolverine's height and Australian accent, you'll probably like this.

I do. It is not perfect -- I miss Rogue from the later cartoon -- but it is fun and the animation is traditional, not lampoonish like the Evolution mess.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you don't care if cartoons make sense or not . . .
whamontree18 November 2001
Pryde of the X-Men is an interesting failure. On one hand, the animation is outstanding for its time. On the other hand, unless you already read the comic you wouldn't know what the heck was going on. And it's pretty gosh-darn stupid.

The animation, particularly the use of shadows and the particle effects, are impressive. I suspect Marvel had this animated in Japan, the style shows through. If not, the animators did a good job of emulating the efforts of most anime studios at the time. The characters all look cool and Wolvie has his brown costume (my favorite).

Unfortunately, nobody put much effort into cohering all those awesome battle scenes into a story. I mean, they didn't even try. There isn't a plot, things happen. Magneto escapes from the back of a tanker truck. Professor X introduces Kitty Pryde to the X-Men. Magneto and Juggernaut attack the X-Mansion. Not an X-Men fan? What I've typed got you a bit confused? Don't know who these people are or their relationships to one another? The cartoon won't help.

The script of a children's cartoon needn't be outstanding literature but it should at least put forth a minimum of effort into expounding on who everyone is, what they're doing, and why they're doing it. Take the more recent Fox X-Men series as an example. In the first episode, the X-Men save a little girl from the robots trying to capture her. You get to know everyone's name, their respective powers, and that they're the good guys. You get good action scenes and good exposition. Here, in Pryde of the X-Men, you get the X-Men yelling at a little girl and some other guys knocking over stuff while particle effects flash and swirl about the screen. Sure, it'll pique a kid's attention but after two or three episodes he's going to quit watching because he won't know what's going on. Yes, that does matter to children.

Perhaps the biggest failure of Pryde of the X-Men is the "subplot" (I wince at using any form of the word 'plot' in reference to this show) regarding Nightcrawler. Nightcrawler is one ugly dude, he looks about like a cathedral gargoyle. Kitty is scared of him but later comes to realize that just because he's ugly doesn't mean he's evil. That's all fine and good IF HE WASN'T A TOTAL PERV! When he meets Kitty he reaches out to her (and I really hope this was unintentional on the animator's part) like he's going to grab at her breasts. He practically drools on her. Later, when he rescues a little girl from a fiery inferno (more particle effects!) he, well, puts his hands about her bum and her crotch. I remember that from when I was a kid, too. I wasn't scared of how he looked, I was afraid he grab me and talk soothingly to me while fondling my private parts. The way he acts, he's the last person you'd want your kids watching on a weekly basis. And his costume is apparently a red, v-shaped vest with nothing underneath. Brrrr.

All in all, good eye candy for its time but it lacks enough direction and coherence to keep even small children watching. That's probably why no one picked it up as a series. That and Wolverine's Aussie accent was really bad.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this