"Disneyland: Polly (#34.6)"

"Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" Polly (1989)"Disneyland" Polly (original title)

« Prev | 720 of 728 Episodes | Next »

Polly on Video or DVD

Author: boonlolo from United States
7 January 2006

I absolutely love this movie. I remember just about every Spring growing up this would come on NBC and I was beyond excited. I knew all the words to the movie and performed the songs right along side of them. Now that I am a adult and preparing to have my own family, I would like for them to share the same experience I once did. I have been looking for it for years. I went to the Disney Website and I found this link. If you are interested in possibly one day obtaining a copy of the movie on DVD or Video please click here and notify Disney. Hopefully with enough people interested we can get them to release it.

http://disneyvideos.Disney.go.com/moviefinder/products/Polly.html Thanks!

Loved it!!

Author: vaughaal from United States
10 June 2005

I saw this movie for the first time when I was four, and have continued to watch it until now. (I'm 19) I think it is a great movie, especially for kids. Both the first and sequel are about giving people second chances, and getting along as one instead of separating off into groups because of being different races. They do a great job of dating it back to the 50s in Alabama, with the outfits as well as the racial issues. It's basically a town split in half, that is then brought together by the ideas of one girl and a tragedy, and they all become one great community. The sequel was just as amazing, and you HAVE to see it if you have seen the first one. It is really a movie that the whole family can enjoy, and it also teaches great values.

Plus I used to LOVE singing along with it. I happen to think this version is WAY better than the Disney original. The cast is amazing, all of them have fabulous singing voices, and they have great chemistry together!!

Great story line, wonderful acting, a great portrayal of the 1950's.

Author: JennLynn from Asheville
8 August 1999

Polly moves in with her aunt, named Polly as well. She is played by Keisha Knight Pulliam. Phylicia Rashad plays Aunt Polly. Fantastic music, a musical. One of the best movies that the 80's would bring. The acting and story-line sent a message out to viewers. I love this movie.

Glad for Polly!

Author: PiperGilmore05 from Illinois, United States
31 October 2005

I have to say that Polly has always been one of my favorite movies. When I was a kid my mom and dad used to sit down with us (my sister and I) and we'd watch the Wonderful World of Disney together. We'd tape the movies, pop some popcorn, and open up a can of Dr. Pepper for a treat that happened every weekend. One day, we saw the preview for the movie Polly, about a girl (Keisha Knight-Pulliam) who goes to live in Harrington, South Carolina with her aunt (Phylicia Rashad) in the middle of the civil rights movement. During her stay in Harrington, Polly (played with grace by Pulliam) discovers friendship, fun, and gladness while breaking down racial barriers within the small town.

I first saw Polly at age three and it continues to be one of my favorite films. I have watched it at least once a year for every year I have been alive since then. I will never grow tired of Polly because it teaches everyone such valuable lessons about friendship and love. It has been sixteen years since Polly aired and my sisters and I are still singing (and dancing) her praises. Every time we hear the song "Stand Up," "Sweet Little Angel Eyes," "Rainbow, Color Me," or "Ain't Got Nothing' on You" we have to get up and dance! I swear we must have rewound the scenes where they play these songs about 100 times each just to dance again.

I love this movie! The acting in this movie is phenomenal and the dancing is some of the best I have ever seen! Kudos to all of the cast and crew of this movie! It is most definitely a "glad text!" If anyone knows where I can get a DVD of this movie please tell me as our home videos of it are getting grungy from overuse!

Loved this Movie as a Kid

Author: rasberri74 from United States
22 July 2005

This movie was a great adaptation of the original movie Pollyanna. Unlike some other remakes of traditionally caucasian movies that were adapted to the black experience, this movie was believable and fun. It's always difficult to make a musical seem realistic to any facet of life, but I found this story to be touching and interesting. The sequel is also great and the story comes full circle. Phylicia Rashad and her TV daughter Keshia Knight Pulliam have great chemistry together, so they were a great choice for the two female leads. Kudos Debbie Allen for directing and choreographing such a fun family film. There were a lot of touching moments, but not too many that the movie becomes overly sappy and puerile. The music in the film is also quite good, many of these actors are talented musicians as well and they really got to showcase that fact. Whereas the original Pollyanna is outdated both socially and culturally, I felt that this film is still modern enough to be relevant, yet just historical enough to look back upon.

The most adorable movie ever!

Author: Mslady2044 from United States
31 January 2005

This was my favorite childhood movie. I just started collecting movies as an adult and I have to have it... I have been searching and asking around but know one knows, where to get it. This is a wonderful movie. I can't wait to watch it with my children when I have them...I never thought I would find it. Everyone I asked didn't know what I was talking about. I am glad to find out that I didn't make the movie up and that there are others who want it as much as I do. I don't know how this great movie seems to be falling through the cracks but I would love to have some to keep. Great job cast and crew, you should all get together and do follow-up and talk about the ups and downs of making this classic.

Favorite movie EVER!!!

Author: ropp-5 from Fairborn, OH
30 September 2004

Polly and its sequel, Polly Comin' Home, are my 2 favorite movies. Like so many others, I taped them off TV when they were first aired. I've never seen them again nor have I ever found a place to purchase copies of the movies. My older brother, now married and a dad, still groans every time I mention "Polly" I used to watch this movie at least once a week. I can say the lines along with the movie much to the chagrin of my parents and brother. I tend to burst out into songs from the movie and even dance around the house...one of my favorite scenes is when Aunt Polly, Mrs. Connoly, and Polly are watching the opening day festivities at the orphanage and the 3 of them are dancing behind the curtains. There's just something about this movie that always makes me smile. I LOVE POLLY!! :)

childhood favorite

Author: dilese from Tulsa, Ok
27 August 2005

This was one of my favorite movies growing up. The story of a young African-American girl during the time of segregation overcoming all odds with an effervescent spirit and a "glad" attitude really connected with me. The characters, music, and dancing are all light-hearted and fun. Although Phylicia Rashad and Keshia Knight Pulliam acted together in the "Cosby Show", the relationship in this movie is fresh. I found just about all the characters of the movie to be unique and lovable. I especially enjoy Celeste Holm as "Miss Snow." The relationship that develops between her and Polly, in spite of age and race, makes this story truly remarkable. The character "Jimmy Bean", a poor orphan boy, who befriends young Polly, the niece of the richest woman in the county, shows us the power of friendship no matter the obstacles. I also love the metamorphosis of Phylicia Rashad's character as she adapts to having this bubbly young girl in her life and learns to welcome the advances of her old flame "Doctor Shannon", portrayed by Dorian Harewood. I really love this movie and I wish Disney would release it to DVD or video.

Loved it then, love it now!

Author: ovuhdramatic1-1 from United States
6 August 2006

As a child, I watched this movie every time they played it on The Magical World of Disney. We finally taped it and watched it over and over and over, until the VHS finally broke. To me, there is no comparison between "Pollyanna" and "Polly". Both films are huge parts of my childhood and I feel privileged to have a "black" version as well as a "white" version of the story. "Polly" is my favorite because I wanted to be Keisha Knight Pulliam and I love Phylicia Rashaad. The songs are cheesy and fun and I still know all the words and dances to them. Don't get me wrong, Hayley Mills was a charmer as well! If you can get your hands on a copy, do it. If you have kids and have introduced them to "Pollyanna" with Hayley Mills, show them the other version. Both are truly fun for the whole family.

Good kid movie, handles important issues with style!

Author: Catchild from Pittsburgh, PA
12 September 2004

I first saw this movie when I was 8 or 9, and I still adore it today. My little sister and I used to watch it over and over. I've read Pollyanna, and I like the way this movie adapts the story to deal with race relations as well as the original themes of the book.

I just watched the movie again for the first time in many years, and while most of it was exactly as I remembered it, there were a few things that I hadn't noticed as a small child -- I had always understood that the movie dealt with racism, but some of the interpersonal conflicts or the terms people used had gone over my head. There's nothing too strong or offensive, though (as in, parents, don't worry, it won't accidentally teach your child a new vocabulary).

It is a musical, and the only thing that I think is clumsy about the movie is that a few of the songs don't quite seem to blend into the fabric of the movie. Almost all of the songs, though, are catchy and sweet, and it certainly says something when a song stays with you for fifteen years. I still find myself singing "Sweet Little Angel Eyes."

Incidentally, there aren't nearly enough good kid movies where the majority of the cast is black. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with those other kid movies, just... it occurred to me that very few other films I've watched are like this one in that respect.