IMDb > The Phantom of the Opera (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Very good Phantom Of The Opera adaptation

Author: callanvass
18 December 2003

This is a very good Phantom Of The Opera adaptation, that i enjoyed very much. Robert Englund is absolutely fantastic as The Phantom(more on that later). This had 2 awesome leads, a very cool and interesting story, the set pieces were great and i really dug the location, it was an eerie setting. The finale was great and exciting, and the ending was very cool. The makeup effects were outstanding (especially Robert's face very well done!. The direction was great. Dwight H. Little did an excellent job here moving it along at a very nice pace and some very cool creative shots. There is plenty of gore here. We get a ripped out heart, a few bloody gunshot wounds, impaling, a severed head in a bowl, crushed face, decapitation, 2 people get completely skinned (nasty), 4 bloody stabbings, someone sews there face back together (very gory), and we see Robert Englund's gory face throughout the film.and more! yep plenty here for gore hounds.The acting is GREAT!. Robert Englund is AMAZING here utterly amazing here as the Phantom he is EXTREMELY creepy and did great in the acting department and he is kind of like Freddy Krueger as the Phantom (only not as extreme). Jill Schoelen is gorgeous and does very well here although her chemistry with Alex-Hyde-White was terrible!. Alex-Hyde-White was awful here his delivery was awful and was painful to watch totally over acting and he had no chemistry with Jill. Terence Harvey does okay as the inspector and nothing more. Overall i highly recommend this movie and if ya get it cheap like i did it is well worth purchasing ***1/2 out of 5

Superb as usual!

Author: Abigail Guzman (Akura83@aol.com) from Camden Wyoming, Delaware
18 August 2003

~Semi-spoilers~

Robert Englund delivers another great one! In this film he's more of a romantic hero rather than just a murderer, as he was in all the Nightmare on elm street movies, but he pulls this off beautifully as he does with all his other work! This man is a genius as well as an accomplished actor, as any of his fans would be thrilled to agree with. If your a fan of Robert Englund, and lets face it, most of us are, or if you're just looking for a different twist on "The Phantom of the Opera" movies then you'll definitely love this one!

A sleeper film with a charming and talented cast snubbed by the academy and golden globes in a deserving production

Author: luckyhouse from san antonio, texas
3 January 2002

I found the premise not only intriging, but the cinematography combined with passionate performances combined with the music make for an entertaining evening. I was so pleased with this film that I went out to buy a copy of the soundtrack to listen to while I went to buy the movie. The leading lady is not only captivating in her role, but resembles Shannon Dougherty facially and gives a Meryl Streep performance. I found the music to be very original and heartfelt although some lip sync was done during production. Robert Englund is wonderful as the Phantom. I found myself wanting to sleep with the lights on. In an alley scene where theives try to rob him, Eric Dessler (The Phantom)cleverly asks what they will trade for his purse. His delivery is strong and clever as a cat which goes well with his final remedy of the situation. We can all guess the theives steal no more.

The end of the film finds an extremely original twist, as Eric is found to be the modern day leader of the group who is putting on the broadway play in New York. Love enduring is made so clear when certain death is avoided again, which in itself is expected but executed with dynamic acting.

Yes, I loved this film and feel those who don't lack the training and intelligence to appreciate the story to begin with...Go buy the movie. You'll be glad you did.

More darker horror version of the Phantom provides to be really good.

Author: kriitikko from Kirkkonummi, Finland
14 September 2006

Dwight H. Little: THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1989)

First things first: this is a supernatural horror version of Gaston Leroux's novel. It is the darkest version of the story then any other I've seen and it has more blood and gore than really needed. But it is also a surprisingly faithful to Leroux.

In this version Christine Day finds a 100 years old script named "Don Juan Triumphant" to use in her Broadway audition. While singing she is thrown back to her former life in London 1881. There she is an opera singer who tutored by Don Juan's composer Erik Destler, the Phantom of the Opera. Destler has sold his soul to the Devil so that world would love his music, but was hideously scarred from the face. From there on it is the basic Phantom story with more murders. This is probably the only film where Christine kisses only one time and that is with the Phantom. Great!!!

The heart and soul of this film is Robert Englund in the title role. I disagree with the peoples who say he is only repeating his role as Freddy Kruger here. Englund's performance is much closer to Gaston Leroux's Erik than Freddy. With his haunting voice, menacing eyes and dark appearance Englund gives a performance of a madman who won't allow anything to come to his way. I especially like the scenes where he walks the streets of London at night. Though I don't agree that Erik would take a prostitute I enjoyed his Jack the Ripper appearance in that scene and where he kills the three robbers. He even uses a Punjab lasso once. Rest of the cast are mainly b- movie actors, with exception of always good Bill Nighy in the minor role.

Also Misha Segal deserves a mentioning for the hauntingly beautiful music in this film.

Last word: Darker version of classic story with supernatural twists, highly entertaining if you don't mind little blood and gore.

Love and Music Are Forever

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 June 2014

In New York, the Julliard student Christine Day (Jill Schoelen) meets her friend Meg (Molly Shannon) in the library where she works and she shows a piece of music from the unknown author Erik Destler that she has found on the shelf. Christine decides to use the music in her audition on the next day for a part in a Faust version in the New York Opera.

During the audition, there is an accident on the stage and Christine faints. She relives her past life in the Nineteenth Century in London, when she is an aspirant opera singer and becomes the protégée of The Phantom (Robert Englund) of the London Opera House. The Phantom is the unknown composer Erik Destler that makes a pact with the devil in order to the world would love his music. In return, the devil destroys his face and tells that he would never be loved by anyone and would be disfigured forever. After a tragic ending, Christine awakes in the present days and has a great surprise when she is introduced to the producer of the opera.

"The Phantom of the Opera" (1989) is a gore and bleak version of the classic novel of Gaston Leroux. The make-up of the Phantom is impressive and gruesome. Jill Schoelen moves her lips perfectly and gives the sensation that she is really singing opera. The screenplay is original, with Christine Day living her two lives in two different centuries with the Phantom obsessed by her. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Fantasma da Ópera" ("The Phantom of the Opera")

Great movie in its own right!

Author: horsebackfreedom from United States
10 August 2006

No, the story doesn't follow the plot of the original book. However, this was a great film if people can get over preconceived notions of 'how it should be'. Leroux's novel is fiction. It isn't real. There was a real singer named Christine Nilsson who was the prototype for Christine Daae, however she was never abducted by a masked fiend. And for those fans who claim the true mask was a white half mask are mistaken and only using Sir Andrew's musical as their background (which is only loosely based on Leroux's novel in and of itself). The true mask was a full mask and it was black. Authors and stage managers have been changing the masks' appearance for years (ie; 1925 with Lon Chaney) to fit their storyline or vocal needs. In Sir Andrew's musical the mask is only a half mask because it made for better staging and viewing from the audiences' perspective. If you're truly interested in the staging decisions you can read "The Complete Phantom of the Opera" which is all about Sir Andrews' musical. I am a slasher fan and a 'Phantom' phanatic. I felt this was a truly cool movie with my favorite villain, Mr. Robert Englund. I found this movie highly entertaining. After all, isn't that why we go to the movies in the first place? To be entertained? If I wanted a movie that followed the original story line I would be hard pressed to find one. However, the characters personalities were very true to the story. Christine Day (Daae) has always been a modern turn of the century woman with her own ideas and agenda. She was not portrayed as a weak and somewhat low intelligence woman as Sir Andrew portrayed her, but that's what makes his musical so engaging. You find yourself rooting for the Phantom simply because it is so easy to manipulate her. In this movie you find yourself rooting for neither the Phantom nor Richard (Raoul). You're cheering on Christine to the very end, which makes it so wonderfully different from every other 'Phantom' movie out there. That is as much because of Miss Scholoen as it is because of the writers. Miss Scholoen makes Christine seem like me, or one of my friends rather than a wispy caricature of femininity. Mr. Englund was, as usual, creepy beyond words and sexy as hell. If you'll pardon the pun. His genius lies in his ability to make a villain sympathetic without taking away any of the scary and creepy aspects that are so highly prized in a slasher flick. You find yourself feeling sorry for him almost as much as you fear him which builds the tension in your own mind long before the writers want you to be tense. You end up doing all the work of freaking yourself out and then the writers come along and bash you over the head with gore. It's awesome! Bravo to Mr. Englund once again! His portrayal was as true to the story as the plot would allow. The original Erik had quite a bit of blood on his hands. He was not a warm and fuzzy guy. Being kidnapped by the original would not have been the romantic getaway that many 'Phantom' fans think it would be. You would find yourself in the clutches of someone who would willingly blow up an entire opera house, himself included, just so you couldn't get away. Personally, I prefer roses and moonlit walks as a means of wooing. Granted the original had a sad life that made him that way, as did Erik Destler of this movie version. To be honest, the Devil tricked him. He never said "I'm the Devil and when you say you would sell your soul I mean literally." No, he was a midget dressed like an organ grinders monkey who simply asked him if musical fame was worth his soul. And, Erik never really got that fame did he? No one heard his operas. So, was it a fair bargain? No. Poor guy was cheated! If you're a die hard 'Phantom' fan who simply can't separate themselves from either Leroux or Sir Andrew then by all means don't waste your time on this movie. If you have the creative ability to take this movie for what it is, a slasher flick based on Phantom of the Opera, then you will love this movie as much as I do. If you're a Freddy fan you'll find a million more reasons to thank God for giving us Robert Englund and for pairing him with one of the few actresses who can hold her own next to a legend such as Mr. Englund. I'm speaking of the girl-next-door beauty, Jill Scholoen.

Gory and Good

Author: labyrinthofstars
22 August 2005

I rather liked this movie because it combined horror and the story of the Phantom of the Opera, which I both enjoy. Robert Englund did a good job as the Phantom both scary and intimidating. I laughed when I heard about his role in this movie because I am a big fan of Nightmare on Elm Street. The idea of using skin for a mask was pretty original idea in place of the death mask and his red death at the masquerade was good as well. There are many details it includes that are from the book that aren't in the 2004 movie.

****SPOILERS****** The rat catcher; The Opera and part in which Christine understudies for La Carlotta, Faust; The attempted suicide by Christine by banging her head against the wall (though on the movie it does not look like she hit her head hard); The wedding march or funeral march ****Spoiler****

I prefer the 2004 because of the music and the romance of it all but it all comes down to the bottom line: If you are looking for gore and horror, this is a good one and not for the weak of stomach. If you are looking for more romance, The 2004 is better.

Best Phantom yet!

Author: Tin Man-5 from Auke Bay, Alaska
1 May 1999

This is the best Phantom yet! The plot follows the book, and it also presents new twists that do nothing but improve on an overused storyline. There is gore, but this is a horror movie--there's gotta be some gore. However, the violence in it does not take away from the full impact of the story, and it just isn't unnecessary violence...it fits into the storyline, and it helps bring out different shades of the Phantom's personality.

As far as the cast goes, Englund is perfectly cast, portraying both a menacing Phantom and one to be pitied. He might be the best actor to portray him yet. The rest of the cast is good as well, and the direction is stylish. Actually, only Christine is dissapointing. Jill Schoelen does a nice job playing the innocent opera star, but she does doesn't have the impact earlier attempts did. She is, however, very believable at the end.

Great film. Go rent it. Don't listen to what many critics have said about it, calling it a gorefest and a ruthless display of violence. It simply isn't true....This movie is superb. Gaston Leroux would have been so proud.

Great, Underrated Movie

Author: mnrubino from United States
18 June 2005

The 1989 Phantom of the Opera was a big surprise for me. I thought it would be a gory, slasher, "no-plot" movie, renting it just because I am a Phantom phreak. Firstly, I was not scared or grossed out in the least, and I was scared by Scary Movie 3! Secondly, the acting, especially Robert Englund's (he plays Erik Destler), was very good, although some characters were bland and left something to be desired. The score, by Mischa Segal, was haunting and beautiful, especially Destler's unknown opera, Don Juan Triumphant. Englund did a perfect job of creating the persona of a brutal and imposing maniac, but also a sympathetic character. The flashback during the Jewel Song in Faust made me really pity Destler, as well as the scene where the true extent of his deformity is revealed, when he stitches human skin onto his face. I suppose people who are grossed out by anything should not see it by themselves late at night. Still, the "gross" stuff is just campy 80's gore. My 6-year-old brother viewed it with me, and he wasn't at all frightened. All in all, this is a must-see for those like Phantom of the Opera, Robert Englund, campy gore, wonderful film scores, and/or a good plot.

My only qualm is the ending. Unfortunately, it's not the way I wanted to to turn out. And one other thing- the story somewhat lacks in continuity and plot. Like, we see the deformity of the left part of Destler's face, and then in the next scene, it's on the right and center of his face. Also, how did Christine end up in 1881? Why is the Devil a dwarf- excuse me- a little person? Why does Destler willingly strike a bargain with a strange short man in black? Hmmm... Weill, I give this movie 8.5 out of 10 stars. Awesome- it's worth the price of a DVD to buy it.

Gory fun!

Author: Sburt4-1 from NH
23 February 2006

I really enjoyed this version of the Phantom of the opera. I really love Robert Englund. He is fun to watch as he kills anyone that gets into Christine's way to fame. Jill Schoelen (The Stepfather, Popcorn, When a stanger calls back) plays the lovely Christine who hears the voice of who she thinks is her guardian angel. This version makes the musical boring. The movie has a new twist on the tale. That keeps this from being routine. Robert Englund is great as the phantom. The costumes are also nice. I own this movie on DVD and have seen it a few dozen times. If you have not gotten enough of Robert Englund being Freddy Krueger then you should rent The Phantom of the opera. It is gory fun! I give it an A+!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]