A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child More at IMDbPro »A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (original title)

Page 6 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Author: joereilly01-880-745106 from United States
13 February 2011

Spoiler alert.

Your kidding,right? What is this garbage? What? The last to sequels were... good! Now... this? Greta's death scene was,gross,Marks death scene was,stupid,Dans death scene was,filthy,just,why? Freddy lost his luster. If you wanna watch a pile of steaming hot barf of load diarrhea garbage,you might want to give this a try.If not,do your self a favor,and blow the CD up.-blows up CD- Now thats how MEN do it.I cant get over how garbage this is, before,Freddy was the bomb, now, he's a stupid burnt dude who has a a daughter that listens to Iron Butterfly thats Alice coopers son! But,thats in Freddys dead...To be reviewed:Halloween,Halloween 2,Halloween 3,Halloween 4,Halloween 5,Halloween 6,Halloween 7,halloween 8

Don't expect much from this...

Author: kshitij (axile007) from India
17 January 2010

I have seen the very first part of this series and no doubt that was a chilling classic.After that I did not see the next three sequels because of the pathetic reviews they received.Somehow I decided to try this part ,and honestly I felt dissatisfied and disappointed.I mean the series is not going anywhere.Its just struck on showing gore without emphasizing on storyline and plot.

If we talk about the storyline,this time Freddy is killing teenagers through the dreams of an unborn child.One noticeable thing is the gruesome images and special effect shown in the movie.But at any time I did not feel like witty enough about my decision to watch this movie.There is hardly any scary scene and you can predict everything that comes as movie progresses.

In terms of relativity those who have seen all the parts of this series may found the dream child comparatively better. But for others,keep your expectations low while watching this movie,because this movie fall miserably of the standards set by the original one.

It's a different kind of Elm street movie, but still good

Author: Tom van der Esch from Netherlands
14 September 2009

I really liked Nightmare on Elm street 1 through 4, so I was more then ready for part 5.

A few characters return from previous installments, which add more continuity to the series. It's (usually) better to have at least one character return in a sequel, so that the audience has something to hang on to.

The story develops at a somewhat slower pace then the prequels, but it's an interesting story. There are some strange, new elements that make it a bit unbelievable, but just don't take it too seriously.

Robert Englund once again played his role as Freddy Krueger quite excellent. Despite him being the evil demon in the movies, you can't help but start to like the guy...

The effects were good. Nothing outstanding nor horribly bad. They just work for the movie.

Go watch it if you liked the Elm street movies so far. It's not a bad watch at all. Although it's starting to lose it's charm a little, maybe because we've already seen 4 movies with Freddy?

6 out of 10 stars.

Tried some new things, but forgot to bring a script along

Author: bh_tafe3 from Australia
4 February 2009

A nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child is certainly nice to look at. It contains hands down the most impressive special effects of any of the Elm Street movies, apart perhaps from Part IV.

Director Stephen Hopkins takes the new humorous Freddy character and puts him into a rather Gothic setting and wastes no time taking us there in the very first scene of the movie with nineteenth century asylums, catholic theology, a rather disgusting birthing, a suggested mass raping, impossible staircases channeling the Labrynth and a suitably dramatic rebirth.

And really it's quite nice to look at. From that side of things Hopkins has done a superb job. But the story is weak. Freddy has gone inside Alice and is using the dreams of her unborn son to kill again.

There are some nice characterisations, Alice and her father especially, but a premium of characters and therefore deaths. Only three in the whole film. The two deaths to male characters are elaborate and well done, but the murder of Greta is not entertaining in the least and actually quite disgusting.

The ending again looks good, but it doesn't really end. Nothing is resolved and the whole storyline with Alice was scrapped for future sequels. So as a film it looks nice, is well acted, but serves no purpose.

Worth a look, just not a long one.

'Freddy Delivers'!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
31 August 2008

I've read some reviews on this movie, and a lot of people don't like it. I honestly didn't think it was too bad! The night before graduation, Dan and Alice are having sex, then the nightmares begin again. Alice is in the shower, then she's transported to the asylum where Amanda Krueger was raped and where Freddy was born. (Robert Englund does another awesome job as Freddy Krueger!) If Alice can find Amanda in the real world, Freddy will die. Freddy is reborn and instead of haunting Alice's dreams, he haunts her unborn baby's dream, mixing reality and the real world. During her dreams, she sees her son, Jacob as a child, trying to help her stop Freddy. There was one cool part when Freddy is on a skateboard, coming after Alice's friend. A gross part for me was when Freddy is making Greta eat a lot of food at the 'rich-people' party her mom is having. Another friend, Yvonne tries to find Amanda while Alice tries to stop Freddy from haunting her child's dreams. If you love the Freddy series, and teenage pregnancies, you'll love A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 5: THE DREAM CHILD!!!

what i saw was really weird.

Author: little-cool-guy from Australia
17 December 2007

i haven't seen the movie yet but i have seen Greta die. and in the real world when it shows her dying, it looks like she's doing some sort of dance. and i was like what the hell??!! she had her arms sticking out and bent at the elbow and it looked like she was flapping her arms and choking!!it's pretty funny. and then when Alice is in the kitchen of her house and Greta's head and torso are sticking out of the door and she's trying to help Greta. and then Freddy grabs her and pulls her back in.. so weird..... but her cheeks look fat in the dream world when she's dying. Can't she Swallow???? and i saw Marks death... even weirder. he turned into paper? good idea but yea. and i would like to no if they can dream that they are anything in their dreams, y not just dream that Freddy isn't there? much simpler than dying. but then again it is a horror movie and you cant have horror with out deaths. oh well. but soon i am getting the dream collection box set and i will be able to make further comments. i really hope its good as i thought the 1st and 3rd were but number 2! oh my god. that one was so crap. in the plot of number 7 or 6, it says that Freddy will die if he is pulled into the real world. but he kills the main character's male friend he comes out of the main character and yet he does not die.. pretty weird.

It's a Boy!

Author: mattressman_pdl from Iowa, United States
10 December 2007

Stephen Hopkings (The Ghost and the Darkness) steps in to direct the fourth sequel to the 1984 hit Nightmare on Elm Street. The series is showing obvious strain at this point.

Freddy, evidently vanquished in Dream Master, is still haunting Alice's dreams. But it's Alice's unborn child that Freddy is using to slaughter all of Alice's friends. The time comes when Alice must do otherworldly battle with the demonic Dream-monster once and for all.

The film has a nice, stylistic feel to it but it's apparent this time around the're running out of ideas. But when comic-book fan Mark is sucked into Freddy's world, it makes for a series highlight.

It's Someone Else's Turn to Milk the Freddy Machine

Author: mjw2305 from England
14 October 2007

This time Stephen Hopkins (Director) and (John Skipp) Writer, try and make some more money out of Wes Craven's once excellent character of Freddy.

Now Freddy is attacking people while they are awake through Alice's unborn child's dreams; the characters are now little more than scene fillers for Freddy's murderous antics and the terror really is just laughable.

I will always love the character of Freddy, Robert Englund and Wes Craven have ensured he will always be a horror icon; its beyond me why so many sequels made a mockery of him for a quick buck "i've just answered my own question there haven't I!"

4/10 for this lame sequel (Only Wes Craven can do Freddy movies properly)

Better than 4 but still does not hold a candle to the original

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
25 July 2007

Rated R for Violence/Gore,Language and Brief Sexuality.

Nightmare On Elm Street is my favorite slasher/horror film series.Freddy is one of the coolest horror film villains ever! The first one is definitely the best one because it was original and it has the best storyline.The fourth one was good but not as good as the first.The fifth I think is better than the fourth but still not close to being as good as the first film.Though after NOES 2 Freddy became a cool villain because of his always funny one liners.In this film, the girl who killed Freddy in the last film is back but has dreams about Freddy again.Somehow Freddy found a way into the real world so he could kill people not only in their sleep.Now her and some of her friends have to stop him.Also the girl is pregnant with a child but Freddy somehow is trying to hurt the child from within.The film also has an appearance by Freddy's mother Amanda Kruger.This fifth entry in the series I find is better than the fourth only because of this one scene where Freddy pulls a character named Mark into a comic he is reading and Mark and Freddy battle.Very cool scene and an entertaining slasher/comedy film.

Enter the nun of a mother

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
14 February 2007

This fifth episode brings together the story about Krueger's mother already slightly developed in the second episode, and the Christian theme heavily introduced in the fourth episode. The film is still centered on Alice but she is growing older and older. She has finally reached high school graduation time. She has also reached the time when she can have a real boyfriend, spend the night with him and get pregnant from him. But she is a daughter raised by her father who has finally promised to stop drinking his sorrow away. This motherless situation is dictating the new turn in the saga. Alice becoming a pregnant mother before being a full mother she is attracted by this motherly side of the tale, hence she reintroduces Krueger's mother and we can see the time when this mother, still not a mother, is locked up with a hundred insane criminals, and then her being more than menaced. We can see her giving birth to an abomination. And this leads to the death of the father of Alice's child, killed of course by Krueger who makes him practically commit suicide on the road and ram into a truck. Krueger is jealous of Alice's boyfriends. Before the end of the film he will get one more in his claws. But the religious theme is strong all along. Freddy is born within the total destruction of a church, which corresponds to his rebirth in the film. Then his mother, the nun, has to be found, liberated from her walled-in prison for her to fulfill her mission : protect Alice and Alice's child from her own son and undeliver Freddy back into her womb as being his new prison to bring the film to an end. The mother seen as the cause of all this evil and at the same time the one that has to be punished for it forever in order for other people and women and children to be able to live free and unmenaced. That is pushing Eve's original sin and guilt very far indeed. That is pushing Mary's mediating role definitely too far. Even if we can believe it is a cathartic way of getting rid of our guilt and sexist vision, we must admit the treatment is quite rough and more than just plain pungent, in fact definitely violent, terrorizing and lined up inside and outside with the grossest possible visions. Even Alice and her child, conceived out of wedlock and who is going to be born to an unmarried mother and widow, are shown in the best Christian light possible. She will keep the child and raise him the best she can. The last scene of the film is the vision of this baby raised by Alice, her best friend and her father, with the recollection of two young men, one his father, who have died for this child to be born. And sure enough the malediction is not far away. The rhythm of the film and the extremely rapid accumulation of horrifying, terrorizing and gross elements all of them intertwined together and interlaced one into all the others gives that film a real appeal and a deep effectiveness. We can feel terrorized at times and we definitely find the situation, Freddy Krueger and the whole world quite unbearably cruel to authorize such horror to exist in our midst. But frankly why do Alice and her friends go so easily in these bad dreams as if they were masochistically looking for being terrorized ? They should know better. At least we think so, though we follow them in their nightmares not to abandon them in the claws of the monster.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University of Paris Dauphine & University of Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne