A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child More at IMDbPro »A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (original title)

Page 4 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Another suitable if not slightly dry entry in the series

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
9 January 2012

Anyone who goes into a Nightmare On Elm Street sequel thinking they are going to see some great feat of movie making needs their head examined. They are what they are and so far they have been at least mildly entertaining. You could almost carbon copy my review of #4 onto this one because I have a lot of the same things to say. Decent story, decent characters, Freddy is fun and wild as always, the kills are decent, and they have a good continuity throughout from previous instalments and I actually think that's important to a horror series.

Lisa Wilcox returns from #4 to headline the cast. She is good and carries the story well and its always good to have a hero return from a previous film. Danny Hassle also returns from #4 only this time him and Wilcox's character are dating and having a child that Freddy wants. He's a little dry at times but the two of them together are good. One of the unfortunate parts of The Dream Child is the supporting cast isn't very good. They are sort of just there for killing fodder and don't really get a lot of depth to their character. Robert Englund is as good as he ever is as Freddy so if you like Freddy than you adore Englund because is terrific as the deranged killer. I might even say that he is just a little more deranged in this film because they really sink into his back story in this one.

The Dream Child has a ton of religious imagery and a back story involving Freddy's mother and you have to give them points for at least trying to be a little different in the story. Its a necessary and worthy part of the entire franchise and worth seeing. Director Stephen Hopkins went on to do a lot of Television but he tells the story well in this and manages to keep the series within the realm of what fans love. Is it silly? Sure. Even maybe less gory than previous ones...you can certainly see it getting a little stale but it still isn't bad and still entertains. 7/10

It's A Boy!

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
21 October 2011

Belated Day 16 Of My 31 Days Of Horror.

Dorector Stephen Hopkins gives us the 5th Freddy Film With A Nightmare On Elm Street 5 The Dream Child. The film continues to follow Alice played by Lisa Wilcox who is impregnated by Freddy Kruger played again by the wonderful Robert Englund. The films effects are well done and Robert Englund as always does a great job at playing Freddy Kruger. But There is only 1 good dream sequence in the entire movie the other 2 suck, they don't really do a lot with the story and the films actors are okay. I really don't really recommend it but it's not that bad either.

Rated R for Strong Bloody Horror Violence And Gore, And Language.

1hr 30min/90min.

2 uses of the F-word.

**/****

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child

Author: Toronto85 from Canada
23 March 2011

Nightmare 5 continues with the story of Dan and Alice from part 4 and Freddy's back story from part 3. Alice starts having nightmares of Freddy's mother Amanda and the story of how she was raped by 100 maniacs. Freddy is once again reborn, this time through her dreams of his birth. Dan is unfortunately murdered and soon after that we find out that Alice is pregnant. That of course sets up the title of "Dream Child". Alice starts seeing a little boy named Jacob who tells her he is having bad dreams. The little boy is eventually revealed to be Alice's baby and he is the one dreaming of Freddy causing more of Alice's friends to be killed off.

In addition to Freddy living through the child's dreams, we also get a back story involving Amanda Krueger who was a nun before her death. She was raped by 100 maniacs while working at a mental hospital. We saw Amanda in Nightmare 3 of course when Neil kept seeing the nun on the hospital grounds. Nightmare 5 does well with the back story, but falls flat on keeping my interest. It isn't that it moves a slow pace like part 2, but there are very little scares and funny parts for a Freddy flick. In a Nightmare sequel, if you aren't at least funny, then you better be somewhat scary. This sort of falls flat on both accounts. It's more of a story than an actual action/horror film.

It's a disappointment when you compare to 3 and 4 for sure. I like the continuation of the Alice storyline and I like the idea of the Dream Child, but this one never peaked my interest. Still it's not all that bad.

Huh?

Author: joereilly01-880-745106 from United States
13 February 2011

Spoiler alert.

Your kidding,right? What is this garbage? What? The last to sequels were... good! Now... this? Greta's death scene was,gross,Marks death scene was,stupid,Dans death scene was,filthy,just,why? Freddy lost his luster. If you wanna watch a pile of steaming hot barf of load diarrhea garbage,you might want to give this a try.If not,do your self a favor,and blow the CD up.-blows up CD- Now thats how MEN do it.I cant get over how garbage this is, before,Freddy was the bomb, now, he's a stupid burnt dude who has a a daughter that listens to Iron Butterfly thats Alice coopers son! But,thats in Freddys dead...To be reviewed:Halloween,Halloween 2,Halloween 3,Halloween 4,Halloween 5,Halloween 6,Halloween 7,halloween 8

A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child

Author: jDriftyx82 from United States
14 January 2011

Wes Craven had in image in 1984, he created a universe where a deceased child murderer Fred Krueger, tortures the children of the parents that killed him after he was let off his trial.

Krueger wears a dirty green and red sweater and wears a glove with knives on his fingers on his right hand.

The catch to the original fantasy horror phenomenon was that if Freddy killed the children in their dreams, they died in real life.

Over the years there were many sequels, 8 to be exact (if you include Freddy vs Jason).

But if I had to say, this and Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare are the worst of the eight.

If Wes Craven knew what this series would become, he might not have even made Nightmare on Elm Street. Maybe he made A New Nightmare just to save it.

This movie is just so dull, the dream scenes are weird as hell, sometimes you don't even know if someone is dreaming or not, that's how crazy weird this movie is. And in one scene this girl just WALKED into a dream. Like she was walking, and then she was in a dream. What'd she fall or some sh*t? Who knows.

What I did find interesting was Freddy, not on screen, but when the kids were researching Freddy and his mother got involved and we find out about how he was born and all that. It was cool and interesting.

The stuff nightmares are made of...but not in a good way

Author: Dazz Camponi (dudedazzreviews@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
6 October 2010

Freddy's back in an all-new nightmare that's supposed to scare us…but fails to fulfil its promise to do so. The story is bland, confusing and near enough ridiculous and it isn't anywhere near interesting or captivating. The acting isn't bad, as Lisa Wilcox had done okay as Alice and Robert Englund manages to creep you out as Freddy Krueger, otherwise the acting is just hit-and-miss. The characters and the way they're written is another problem for the movie, you don't really know much about them, they're hardly interesting and didn't have any personality and therefore results in you not caring enough for them. The character development is absolutely dire, as the characters are one-dimensional. The nightmare scenes are done well as we see Freddy's warped and sadistic world but there were a couple of nightmare scenes that didn't look scary but more ridiculous.

So overall, it was rubbish. This is probably the closest to be as boring and as a nightmare to watch as the second movie, Freddy's Revenge. Robert Englund gives out a great performance as the evil Freddy as per usual but it's not enough to save this monstrosity. Normally, the Nightmares had very good special effects but this didn't even have that going for it. The Nightmares have been up and down but at the moment, the movies are starting to sink as they go along since the fourth, and fast! Let's hope Freddy's Dead can pick the series back up.

Read more reviews on: www.dudedazzmoviereviews.wordpress.com

Look in your dreams! It's Superfreddy!

Author: thesar-2 from United States
24 January 2010

Coming off the highest grossing entry in the Nightmare series, part 4, it was going to be tough to follow-up. In director Hopkins's defense, I applaud him for going in a different direction, despite not making a, well, killing at the box office.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child brings Freddy back mostly to the dark and "scary" path he once took. Sure there were some funny moments and lines from Freddy (you could probably cut the humor/quotes from #4 down to a 1/3), but for the most part, they made a darker less comedic nightmare than #4.

Alice returns from #4, actually her, her father and her boyfriend Dan, all the surviving members of #4. Surprise, Freddy's back, but Alice doesn't know how (yet) that he's all around her when she's awake. And she's out of control from her dreams.

Of course, she has a new slate of friends, or victims, and Freddy's getting them one by one in a tad bit creative ways. (Only one really stands out – Superfreddy, and the rest ho-hum, comparatively speaking to the first entries in the series.) He's using Alice's (and Dan's) unborn child, somehow and Alice and gang must both believe in the man of their dreams before they're all bumped off.

Though this wasn't the worst in the series, by far, it was still a throwaway. Not a must-see in the long franchise. Take the bland friends, or make that boring with barely a pulse for Freddy to stop. Or the copied plot from #3. Or the retreaded Alice from #4.

But the score is good, I liked the atmosphere – dark and strange, especially the tongue-in-cheek finale, and I liked some of Freddy's moments. It's worth a viewing, for fans only. But not repeat viewings.

Side Note: When I was about 14-15, a friend of mine from Illinois, who used to live with me here in Phoenix, AZ, sent me a gift once. He wouldn't tell me what it was, but I was stoked when I saw a huge, flat cardboard box. It already gave away the contents inside – something about Freddy. Inside was a stand-up, cardboard clip out – 6' tall of Freddy, the baby carriage – it was an ad for the video release of Nightmare 5. I loved that and still have that, roughly 20 years later, even the box it came in. Funniest thing is, and I've heard Robert Englund comment on this, the photo they used was transposed, whereas Freddy's glove appears to be on his left hand when it's always on his right. Oh, well, that just makes it all the more valuable to me.

Don't expect much from this...

Author: kshitij (axile007) from India
17 January 2010

I have seen the very first part of this series and no doubt that was a chilling classic.After that I did not see the next three sequels because of the pathetic reviews they received.Somehow I decided to try this part ,and honestly I felt dissatisfied and disappointed.I mean the series is not going anywhere.Its just struck on showing gore without emphasizing on storyline and plot.

If we talk about the storyline,this time Freddy is killing teenagers through the dreams of an unborn child.One noticeable thing is the gruesome images and special effect shown in the movie.But at any time I did not feel like witty enough about my decision to watch this movie.There is hardly any scary scene and you can predict everything that comes as movie progresses.

In terms of relativity those who have seen all the parts of this series may found the dream child comparatively better. But for others,keep your expectations low while watching this movie,because this movie fall miserably of the standards set by the original one.

probably not the best but it's still good

Author: gsaid8889 from United States
8 December 2009

a nightmare on elm street 5 may not be the best sequel but it still has the best special effects out there so i give it a average a few scenes may be weak like the comic book one.i love the part when Alice goes into the haunted asylum scene was scary the last part was bad but still good average film people says this is the worst in the nightmare series but i still like it better than most sequels so i give it 4/10

who played Alice in this one is not the same actress who played her in the previous film.the special effects were pretty cool like the mark turning into comic book.so i have the DVD of this one.anybody should have the box set i would recommend the box set.

It's a different kind of Elm street movie, but still good

Author: Tom van der Esch from Netherlands
14 September 2009

I really liked Nightmare on Elm street 1 through 4, so I was more then ready for part 5.

A few characters return from previous installments, which add more continuity to the series. It's (usually) better to have at least one character return in a sequel, so that the audience has something to hang on to.

The story develops at a somewhat slower pace then the prequels, but it's an interesting story. There are some strange, new elements that make it a bit unbelievable, but just don't take it too seriously.

Robert Englund once again played his role as Freddy Krueger quite excellent. Despite him being the evil demon in the movies, you can't help but start to like the guy...

The effects were good. Nothing outstanding nor horribly bad. They just work for the movie.

Go watch it if you liked the Elm street movies so far. It's not a bad watch at all. Although it's starting to lose it's charm a little, maybe because we've already seen 4 movies with Freddy?

6 out of 10 stars.