IMDb > The Mighty Quinn (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Mighty Quinn More at IMDbPro »

Great fun

Author: lllama from United States
31 May 2000

While I don't consider this a "great" movie, I must say that it is one of those movies like a favorite pair of slippers: always so comfortable to put on. I can't stop watching this old movie because it's so much fun, the characters are so comfortable to be with, the locations are so relaxing, and Washington is, as always, a wonderful actor.

Though it is not the high point of the movie, my favorite moment occurs when Quinn (Washington) loosens up, sits down at the piano, and begins an amusing rendition of "Cakewalk into Town." Unfortunately, others subvert his song into "The Mighty Quinn," disturbing the atmosphere somewhat, but that's all part of the plot.

Quinn's "serious cop" is the straight man to another worthy character, Maubee (Robert Townsend), an impish rascal loved by everyone on the island.

"The Mighty Quinn" makes me want to go to the island and party with everyone there, but, alas, it's only a movie.

An outstanding and entertaining mystery with Denzel

Author: Nick (nholowka) from USA
16 July 2000

This is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen all year. It takes place in a town on a carribean island not unlike Jamaica, and tells the story of a drifter named Maubee accussed of murder, and his best friend who happens to be the town sherrif. I loved this movie, because of it's wonderful characters, and the things they deal with over the course of this movie. The film may not be action-packed, or even contain a gripping plot, but I assure any readers this movie will not dissapoint you. Denzel Washington is delightful as the sherrif trying to prove his friends innosennce, and Robert Townsend plays the down-and-out drifter Maubee, in an equaly pleasing role. While the films premise may not initialy draw you in, its wonderful characters and colorful island setting will. And everytime things start to slow down, the movie drops another dead body in. See this movie.

It's always interesting to see cultures that we often forget about.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
19 September 2005

"The Mighty Quinn" is one of those movies that isn't a masterpiece by any stretch, but is interesting for what it shows. In this case, we get to see Jamaica, where sheriff Xavier Quinn (Denzel Washington) is investigating a murder and trying to clear his friend Maubee's (Robert Townsend) name. One of the most interesting scenes is when someone escapes from a house by climbing through the tin roof. Now there's a look at the Caribbean! Probably the best part of this movie is the soundtrack. Considering that it happens in the Caribbean, you know that there's got to be some great music. And you won't be disappointed. Like I said, "The Mighty Quinn" isn't a great movie or anything, but it's interesting for what it shows. See it if possible.

Denzel's "mighty" fine in this one!

Author: (lwh) from LA(usa)
7 May 2001

Do you want to be magically transported to the islands? Do you want to hear raggae music that's out of this world? Do you want to see Denzel's beautiful brown skin against an all white uniform? The Mighty Quinn's got all three plus a pretty decent plot and some pretty well known actors. Robert Townsend is great as the wily Maubee, Mimi Rogers is convincing as a damsel in distress and Sheryl Lee Ralph showcases her talents as both an actress and a singer. But perhaps the best part of this movie, in my opinion, is Denzel's character Xavier. Oh yes he looks sexy, as he always does. But more that that it's the way he embodies a role so much so that by the end of the movie you can't tell him from smooth tongued Jamaican police officer that he's playing. Catch it one late night on television reruns and I bet you'll get caught up. You'll never feel the same way about a Jamaican accent again.

Easy does it

Author: yayamagic from USA
4 June 2003

This is an easy movie to like.

I love Maubee's mystery and his history with Xavier. I love Xavier's uniform and his relationship with all islanders.

Even when Maubee is tearing down the house, he has a smile on his face. Even when Xavier forgets to pick up his son and finds him hours later, alone and in the dark, it's not the end of the world, the child is entertaining himself and he forgives his father - easily.

These island inhabitants are comfortable to watch. What my grandmother would have called "easy in their skin."

"Don't you know this is a goin' down road?"

I love that line.

And I love a place that would designate a mountain road "a goin' down" road during certain parts of the day.

Also, this rendition of Bob Dylan "Mighty Quinn" is the easiest version to my ears.

Rum Punch and Reggae

Author: lastliberal from United States
23 May 2008

I never tire of watching this movie. It is one of my favorites, and a great showcase for Denzel Washington. He gets to be the cool-headed Chief of Police that takes no crap from the rich white folks and, at the same time, is the butt of jokes from his own people.

The cast of characters all add to this interesting mystery set in Jamaica. Robert Townsend shows his amazing versatility as the childhood friend of Washington and the chief suspect in a murder. Mimi Rogers is just luscious as the philandering spouse of James Fox, the man who wants Washington to go away and stop doing his job. M. Emmet Walsh makes the perfect government hit man, who is after missing $10,000 bills. Then, there is Sheryl Lee Ralph as Washington's wife. When she sings "(I'm) Hurting Inside," you know it's true. Then she sings the title song as a dig at her husband. But, the whole film has a continuous soundtrack of fantastic music that adds island charm to the laughs and seduction and fun.

It is the next best thing to a trip to Jamaica.

GOOD CARIBBEAN ADVENTURE MYSTERY

Author: flimbuff (flimbuff@aol.com) from PHILADELPHIA, PA
27 April 2002

Washington plays a very low keyed Island cop who has a murder and some wealthy people to deal with if he wants to solve it. The if involves some racial and money overtones that would seem to put him over his head. Excellent supporting cast led by Walsh and Townsend make this a very good and underrated film.

Enjoyable mystery thriller

3 March 2011

Smooth and charming Police Chief Xavier Quinn (a fine and likable performance by Denzel Washington) has to search his Jamaican island beat for lovable local rascal and old childhood pal Maubee (a wonderfully engaging portrayal by Robert Townsend) in order to clear Maubee's name after he's accused of murder. Capably directed with considerable flashy panache by Carl Schenkel, with a pleasantly casual pace, and a colorful and absorbing script by Hampton Fancher, further buoyed by an extremely catchy'n'bouncy reggae soundtrack, nice touches of wry humor, and a flavorsome Caribbean tropical setting, this film possesses a certain affable laid-back appeal that's impossible to either dislike or resist. The strong cast helps a lot: Washington and especially Townsend excel in the lead roles, with fine support from James Fox as jerky rich resort owner Thomas Elgin, the lovely Mimi Rogers as Thomas' neglected and enticing wife Hadley, the always great M. Emmet Walsh as hearty, yet vicious hired killer Fred Miller, Esther Rolle as fearsome witch Ubu Pearl, Art Evans as irritable Sergeant Jump Jones, Sheryl Lee Ralph as Xavier's fiery and sultry wife Lola, Norman Beaton as the meddlesome Governor Chalk, and Key Luke as the helpful Dr. Raj. Washington easily carries this picture with his supremely amiable and charismatic presence. Jacques Steyn's bright cinematography gives this movie an attractive sunny look while Anne Dudley's frothy score keeps things bubbling along. A winningly breezy and carefree romp.

Interesting Look into Carribbean Culture

Author: Martin Onassis from United States
29 January 2005

I read a previous comment calling this movie boring, so I had to respond. While this movie is far from perfect, it is a great afro-centric murder mystery set on a Caribbean island. It shares aspects with Marlon Brando's Burn in that the locals fall victims to the whims and greed of white colonial, in this case, American exploits. This film was made in 1989, during a black cultural rebirth that included Spike Lee films and the political rap band Public Enemy. This film fits into that category and is unapologetic in its portrayals. If you can't handle the reality of colonialism and intervention then you cant handle this film. Its not much wonder this film isn't seen often, just like Brando's Burn, and Ben Gazarra's high Velocity, two other films that plumb honestly colonial politics and tragedy, long past and recent.

Where's Belafonte when you need him?

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
22 March 2006

Relaxed -- very relaxed -- murder story, with Denzel Washington as a detective ordered to find and capture his friend so the murder can be rapidly cleared up and the tourist trade flow along liquidly. Halfway through, Washington begins to believe that there is more to the case than meets the eye, and that his buddy will be no more than a scapegoat.

Very nice location shooting in Jamaica. If you like reggae, you will LOVE this film's score. There are lots of shots of the beautiful beach. Hey, mon, why you jomp in dee wah-tah faw? The more desperately seedy areas of Kingston are avoided, as they would be in one of Hitchcock's movies set in an exotic locale. The viewpoint is that of the tourist used to saying in nice hotels, the kind with jacuzzis but no venomous snakes.

Denzel Washington handles the accent pretty well without quite shedding his own phones. Sometimes it fades more than others. The other performers don't really have too much to do. Everyone seems to be enjoying himself, as if on vacation.

The movie is rather good-natured considering the plot. The white guys tend to be bad, while the local people of color are at worst raffish. Is there still such racial friction in Jamaica? I don't know, but in the Bahamas the races get along well with one another, as they do in much of the Caribbean. Maybe big cities breed animosities spontaneously.

There's nothing truly outstanding about this routine flick, except, as I've noted, the score. It's not especially exciting, mysterious, amusing, or engaging in any other way. It's not a bad flick if you're prepared to let it take you by the hand and lead you along the colorful streets, pointing out sites of interest, suggesting you taste the jerky and try one of those pink drinks in a tall glass with a flower and a paper umbrella sticking out of it. We call it Captain Bluebeard's Mango Flavored Rum Punch. Mind the umbrella. One of awah tourists lost an eye last year. Don't drink? Fine, bad faw the health. Care for one of awah Jah-may-can cigars?

You might not remember much of it later but you won't object to having watched it.