IMDb > Major League (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Major League

Major League More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Funny but not a masterpiece.

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
21 August 2003

Funny baseball parody that feels very much like a typical ZAZ comedy (though it isn't one). A team of baseball players (Sheen, Berenger, etc.) all have to play a season of pro baseball, even though they have no talent. Corbin "Made-for-TV-King" Bernsen co-stars.

3.5/5 stars -

John Ulmer

Why do I love this film?

Author: Chinook-3 from CA
28 March 2001

Beats me! All I know is that virtually EVERY time this flick hits cable...I watch it. There is something about the way this simple, very funny movie fits together that just compels me. Sheen is great as "Wild Thing" Ricky Vaughn. And the same can be said for every other actor (and character) in the film. They all just seem to click. Bob Uecker is priceless. I don't know, maybe I'm losing my taste, but this is a film that will ALWAYS pick me up and makes life just a bit better!

Solid And Funny

Author: Karl Self from Yurp
23 March 2001

This is what any sports league should be like -- a bunch of underdogs with genuine personality who get their act together and win the league championship along their girls' hearts. Reality is probably a bit more mundane.

Overall, not a great work of art or anything, but undeniably an enjoyable, solid film with plenty of good lines and laughs. Catch it on TV or get it from your video store if you haven't seen it yet.

Major Comedy

Author: tfrizzell from United States
21 October 2000

"Major League" is a funny and yet somewhat serious and dramatic film about the woeful Cleveland Indians. Their new owner (Margaret Whitton) has brought together the worst players so the team will lose more games than anyone else in baseball. Why? Well, she wants the attendance to be so low that she will be able to move the team to Miami and then buy the players to make the franchise successful. The has-beens and never-will-bes include catcher Tom Berenger, third baseman Corbin Bernsen, center-fielder Wesley Snipes, and wild pitcher Charlie Sheen. However after a rocky start, the team comes together and begins winning. They unite the city and unite the team in grand fashion. "Major League" is a film that tries to be more than it is and almost succeeds. On first glance it is a pure comedy, but does have some dramatic aspects as well. This makes the film somewhat uneven and disjointed, but somehow it still over-achieves for the most part. Far from a masterpiece, but it is still a good film overall. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

A must see for baseball fans!

Author: Monika-5 from United States
25 March 2000

This movie hits close to home because I live in the Cleveland area and am a HUGE Indians fan! I remember back in the days when Cleveland and especially the Tribe were laughingstocks...oh, back to the movie, hehe...

Bob Uecker is hysterically funny as the Indians' radio announcer, and Tom Berenger looks very comfortable and relaxed as the veteran catcher. Charlie Sheen is funny, and Rene Russo makes the most of her small role as Berenger's girlfriend. Wesley Snipes was great as the Kenny Lofton-esque Willie Mays Hayes, and the rest of the cast was great.

The script offers no suprises whatsoever, but it's still fun to watch. Recommended especially to Indians fans.

Great Film!

Author: joeyabz from Connecticut, USA
7 February 2000

This is my favorite movie of all time. It is awesome! Not only is this movie one of the funniest sports movies ever made, but it also has one of the best endings to any sports movie ever. I still get chills when I hear Bob Uecker yelling at the end!

Top Guilty Pleasure

Author: DmolitnMan
15 November 1999

This movie is pure Velveeta and packs every sports-flick cliche ever seen into 90 minutes...but I still laugh out loud during many of the lines I can quote verbatim and still get chills every time Ricky Vaughn strides out of the bullpen at the end.

Not a great movie by any means, but ten years later it's still one of my favorites.

Why the score?

Author: Scott Godfrey from new york
4 October 1999

Major League is by far my favor sports movie, beating out Caddyshack although most would disagree. Why it has a score of 6.4 I can't understand. Everyone I know loves this movie. While the sequels are almost as bad as sequels to such other classics as Home Alone and Caddyshack, it shouldn't affect this movie. The wonderful one-liners and story alone make this great movie what it should be ranked at. Having it at a 6.4 is almost as bad as Mr. Showbiz saying Haley Joel Osment should be voted for worst actor of the year award, while he is the most oscar worthy supporting actor to be in a movie yet.

A must see for a true baseball fan

Author: phillya1 from California
21 August 1999

Any true baseball fan has to see this movie if they haven't seen it yet. It is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Many of the lines are unforgettable. You have to love the characters in this movie. Ricky Vaughn, Willie Mays Hays, Pedro Cerrano, and Harris are terrific.

The funniest in the series!

Author: steve layne
25 April 1999

This one is the funniest in the series, but maybe not the most entertaining. A tie between this one is part II for the most entertaining. The baseball stuff is a bit better in part II. The people in this one are a little bit more interesting than they are in part II, but I like both movies about the same. I give this movie *** out of ****

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]