IMDb > Major League (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Major League

Major League More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 10: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

ONE OF THE FUNNIEST FILMS!

Author: Nick (ToyotaSUPRAFREAK@yahoo.com) from Mass
24 August 2002

This movie was funny!! Charlie Sheen was great as the WILD THING (Mr. Tough Guy) Denis haybert as Cerrano was funny with his pathetic voodoo stuff.. and tom berenger was not bad.. But this was about a bunch idiots on a professional baseball team and they end up going to the Pennant.. also Wesley Snipes played a great role of Willie Mayes Hayes!

Major League

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
27 June 1999

Fun baseball comedy about a bunch of lackluster ball players who hear their new owner is counting on them to lose. Great cast all around, especially former ball player Uecker, whose play by play antics give the film its best moments.

Fun and good but not excellent

Author: udeaasykle (udeaasykle@hotmail.com) from Sandnes, Norway
5 July 2004

Reading my headline it may seem as though I have something against this movie. I like Major League but it is not as funny as when I saw it when I was younger. Still after all these years it is still charming and I did enjoy it. It has the classic one talent thing going on where there is one who runs fast, one who batter well etc. It has a great cast list from Charlie Sheen to Wesley Snipes to Tom Berenger. The story is nothing special. They put together a team of losers who of course manage to win the entire thing. And of course there is a bad guy in these types of movies. A lot of great characters mixed with fun situations and an ok story. What do you get? You get Major League. I rate this movie 6/10

Very funny baseball movie!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
26 November 2006

I have heard pretty much mostly good reviews when it came to Major League, and I am a baseball fan, so I definitely wanted to give Major League a look. I was lucky, my mom has one and two, so last night I finally sat down and watched it and I have to say that I had a few good laughs here and there. I loved the scene where the guys had their first prayer and the monk set a fire for his little doll that he worships and it set off the sprinklers!

Basically, Rachel Pheleps is the new owner of the Cleveland Indians after her husband dies, and she doesn't like Cleveland. In order to move the team to a warmer climate like Miami, she has to have a low audience for the games and she hires the worst team possible. But they prove themselves to be more, especially when the team finds out that Rachel wants the team to loose, they pull themselves together to win the games!

Major League had some good laughs and I would recommend it for anyone, even those baseball haters, just have a good time. Charlie Sheen really stole the show as Wild Thing! I loved how he had his sleeves cut off all the time, even for formal events. Major League is a fun comedy that I'm sure anyone could get at least one good laugh out of.

Baseball comedy classic

Author: El Guapo-2 from United States
16 September 2003

"Major League" is nothing original... it borrows heavily from the "Bad News Bears" school of screen writing. What holds the movie together is the easy charm and camaraderie of the cast, which features some tried and true character actors: Bob Uecker, basically playing himself; Margaret Whitfield, playing her patented "bitch" role, and James Gammon, playing the wise old coot who has seen it all. Rounding out the cast are Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen and Rene Russo, who at the time was new to features. The plot is as follows: The owner of the Cleveland Indians marries a Vegas showgirl and dies on his honeymoon, leaving her the team. Cleveland (which the song being played over the main titles laughingly refers to as "city of light, city of magic"- perhaps they are referring to when the Cuyahuga River caught on fire?) doesn't agree with her, so she wants to exploit a loophole in her contract with the city which stipulates if attendance falls below a certain level, she can take the franchise out of Cleveland. So she goes out and gets herself the sorriest looking group of ballplayers you've ever seen... A Cuban defector (because his religion is voodoo) who can only hit fastballs (Dennis Haysbert), the worlds laziest third baseman (Think Bernsen as a clean shaven Wade Boggs), a catcher with shot-out knees (Berenger channeling Johnny Bench or Cartlton Fisk), a near-sighted pitcher who throws 100 MPH at everything but the plate (Sheen), and the lead-off hitter who thinks he is Rickey Henderson (Wesley Snipes). The movie has a lot of laughs and it's a fun way to waste 90 minutes. Directed by David S. Ward of "The Sting" fame. Interestingly enough, this movie did give the nickname "Wild Thing" to one-time Philadelphia pitcher Mitch whatshisname who threw a bad pitch to Joe Carter in the 9th inning to lose the '93 World Series to Toronto.

These guys don't look to f**king good!

Author: The-Spike from United Kingdom
6 July 2008

Cleveland Indian's owner Rachel Phelps puts together the worst baseball team she can find, the hope is that they finish plum last and she can then relocate the franchise to sunny Florida. However once the assortment of oddball players get wind of the plan they find a goal to achieve collectively, with hilarious results.

Goofy? Well yes it is of course, but Major League has charm in abundance and with a pretty smart cast having fun, the result is a truly enjoyable and laugh filled piece of fluff. The striking thing to me is that you don't have to have any knowledge or love of baseball to enjoy this movie, it thrives on locker room mentality and crowd demented loyalty for its laughs; and Major League delivers them almost at every turn. The assorted members comprise such characters like a voodoo nutter and a wild child parolee: And those are the sane ones!! The cast is made up of big names-Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen, Rene Russo and Wesley Snipes are in it for laughs-and you should be as well. On its release, Major League proved a popular crowd winner, so much so that two desperately bad sequels were spawned, do avoid those at all costs but make sure to see this one if you are in need of a pick me up.

Wild thing you make my heart sing indeed. 7/10

Terrifc Crowd-Pleaser

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
29 February 2008

Major League (1989)

**** (out of 4)

Wonderful crowd-pleaser about a group of misfit baseball players who are thrown together by an owner who hopes they're bad enough so that she can relocate the team to a new city in the off season. The players of the Cleveland Indians find out about this and decide to give it their all to become winners. MAJOR LEAGUE really isn't anything that we haven't seen before in countless sports movies. We have the typical stereotypes and the clichéd story and we all know how it's going to end. With that said, who says you can't take something old and make it fresh and exciting? This here is without question one of the best comedies of the 80s and I really think it keeps getting better with age. The movie really has one terrific scene after another as one can't help but fall in love with these losers, their situation and of course you want to see them win. What works so well is that we're given a terrific cast with Tom Berenger and Charlie Sheen leading the way as the wise vet and the wild rookie. The two of them work perfectly well together and certainly help keep the film going at a fast pace. The supporting cast gives us wonderful work by Corbin Bernsen, Margaret Whitton, James Gammon, Wesley Snipes, Charles Cyphers, Dennis Haysbert, Chelcie Ross and Rene Russo. We also have the priceless Bob Uecker who turns in one of the memorable roles in sports film history. The film is perfectly directed by David Ward who perfectly plays up the various comedy routines but he also manages to packs some wonderful tension during the final ballgame as the Indians go up against the Yankees. MAJOR LEAGUE has non-stop laughs from start to finish but we even get a little side romance and of course plenty of dirty jokes. The R-rating really helps this film because it just seems like one of those macho movies where guys talk dirty and it's all wonderfully funny.

entertaining and amusing,though not insanely funny baseball movie

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
22 May 2007

i thought this was a pretty good movie.it wasn't insanely funny or anything,but it had some amusing moments and was certainly entertaining.what i liked about this movie is is the fact that,although it's an underdog story,it is not preachy and schmaltzy.there's very little rah,rah,rah,everyone's a winner clap trap.it just goes to show that a movie can tell an under dog story,without hitting you over the head with it,and making you nauseous.i also liked the unique mix of characters in the movie,with all their quirks.they are really an oddball assortment.i'm not really a baseball fan,but i liked the movie just as a movie,and not so much as a baseball movie.for me,Major League" is a 6/10

A genuinely funny fantasy

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
6 June 2002

The Cleveland Indians:A Major League Baseball club not without its troubles.For over thirty years,this team never even contended for any type of glory.It became taken for granted over the years that the tribe would finish in the cellar or not far from it.Although things have improved for the club in recent years,in 1989,the year of this film's release,things were still far from glorious.This film takes a great story idea,applies it to one the American League's most historically troubled clubs,and the results are fantastic.It not only gave the long suffering Indian fans something to smile about,it perhaps catapulted the team into it's less troubled and more satisfying years of today. This is is a genuinely funny,well casted baseball comedy that's well worth a look.

Yes Yes Yes

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
5 August 2000

This is one of the best baseball sports films ever made. Notg because it exactly depicts the tradition of baseball. Mainly because of a pitcher who can throw a ball at 96 mph at a guys head, a vodoo guy who doubts Jesus Christ's curve ball skills, and a guy named Willy Mayes Hayes who can run like haze but hit like s***. These are the original comedy things added to this great baseball film about the new owner of the Cleavland Indians who wants the team to finish dead last so she can sell the team. That is until the team (which includes Tom Berenger, Cornin Bernson, Charles Cyphers, Wesley Snipes and Charlie Sheen) changes all that. Incredibly funny, and it gets better with each viewing. My favorite moment, when Hays (played by a good newcomer named Wesley Snipes) finds out he made the Indians and just runs outside and goes (Owwwww, yes yes yes). A+

Page 7 of 10: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]