IMDb > Major League (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Major League

Major League More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 10: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Still the best sports movie ever made.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
19 November 2010

I can't work out Major League, it is about a sport I hate, and is made in exactly the same way - and covers much the same ground - as many other sports movies that I loathe.

Only I think for some reason it is near perfect.

The new owner of a Major League baseball team, the Cleveland Indians, decides to deliberately put together the worst team possible in order to drive down attendance and fan interest so that she can exercise a clause in the owner's contract and move the franchise to warmer territory.

Gee, d'ya think they'll win?? You'd never see this movie made today, firstly I'm amazed that the overly PC major sports in the US allowed this one to happen in the first place. Baseball players are seen to be selfish, cocky, brash, prima-donnas who will think nothing of cheating or putting down others to better their own position.

All true to from what I've seen in 20 something years of following sport.

The strange thing is that in making a movie that seeks to send up the sport and the athletes the filmmakers showed exactly why sport is so awesome in the first place. The comraderie, the trash-talk and petty infighting, the pranks, the constant losing and then the exhilaration as the team actually starts winning.

The team is made up of no-hopers and past their primes: The no-hopers: Charlie Sheen as an out of control pitcher named Ricky Vaughn, a cocky Willie Mays Hays who showed up with being asked to try out for the team, (Wesley Snipes in a very early role), a voodoo follower who can't hit a curveball and others… The past their primes: Tom Berenger as Jake Taylor, a catcher who is wracked with injury, Corbin Bernsen as Roger Dorn, a pretty boy more concerned with his future endorsements than winning games, and Chelcie Ross as Ed Harris, a crafty veteran who now relies more on cheating than brute strength and skill.

The team manager is the gruff, blunt and hilarious Lou Brown, elevated unexpectedly from his previous role selling tyres to the big league. Lou takes no sh*t, cares not for ceremony and tells it like it is, and his responses to some of the queries made by prima donnas are classic.

As the team builds momentum the owner, aware that success means fans, which means no moving to a better city, removes the player perks including.

The final game to decide the fate of the season, versus of course the team's nemesis is brilliant, you know you are being manipulated but still can't help but feel pulled into the contest. I still get pins and needles even though I've seen this soooo many times, and Bob Eucker as Harry Doyle is simply the best commentator for the game.

The game lasts almost 20 minutes of screen time, and not a minute is wasted, even though there is hardly a joke or laugh to be had in the whole scene. By this stage if you are still on board this far into the movie you are likely less of a film watcher than a sport's fan, this last segment is so well made that it is almost as rewarding as rewatching some of the greatest games that actually occurred in sport's history.

Final Rating – 9 / 10. I don't know what to tell you, aside from this movie made me love baseball - until the credits roll that is.

If you liked this review (or even if you didn't) check out oneguyrambling.com

Funniest Sports Movie Ever!

Author: Jason McDonald from Rancho Cucamonga, CA United States
23 January 2005

Even for people who are not fond of baseball, this movie will make you laugh. It tells the story of how the widowed "ex showgirl" wife of the owner of the Cleveland Indians takes over the team. Unhappy with Cleveland, she plots to move the team to Miami. The only way to do this however, is for the team to play badly enough to drop the season's attendance to an all time low. In order to accomplish this, she puts together a team made up of has beens, never-will-be's, criminals and nervous rookies. One of the best lines in the movie occurs when team management is going over the list of invitees to camp...

"This guy here is dead!" "Cross him off then!" Great acting all around especially from Berenger and Sheen, but the one who steals the show is Bob Ueker, playing over the top commentator Harry Doyle. Listen for the subtle humor as he overplays the little action occurring on the field. The baseball action is great, and the humor is unending. I recommend this movie to everyone.

"Yo' bartender, Jo-Boo needs a refill"

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
21 October 2004

A major league baseball team in Cleveland gets taken over by bitchy Whitton who plans to insure that the team performs so badly to finish dead-last. Then she can relocate the team to sunny Miami and live the good life. However, the washed-up and burned-out ballplayers give their all to make sure that doesn't happen, and perhaps even win the championship.

This formula driven sports comedy rises above mediocrity thanks to a superb cast, well written one-liners and sure handed direction from the man who brought us the Oscar winning "The Sting". Tom Berenger is terrific as a burned-out ball player, James Gammon is a hoot as the coach, 24's Dennis Haysbert is great as Voodoo worshiping Cerrano and even Corbin Bernsen is good as well. But the real star here is Charlie Sheen, displaying a delightful comic talent, as Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn, the half blind, unbeleivably fast-throwing pitcher. The ending, while predictable, is sure to delight. 8 out of 10

Favorite movie from my Childhood.

Author: Dennis Kline (eliteskyy@msn.com) from Cavetown, MD
24 February 2004

*****Spoilers*****

This is by far my favorite movie from my adolecent age as I was 11 when it came out and saw it in the teatres and remember it like it was yesterday. I am on of the biggest baseball fans you will ever meet (an Orioles fan if your keeping track). This movie, that I probably should not have seen at the age of 11 because of the language, was great. It still holds the test of time. My wife and I watch it whenever it comes on TV and she hates to watch it because I will say the lines of the movie right befor they come on word for word, man I even think that I know the edited versions from watching it on regular TV. My cousin and I spent countless hours of our life watching this movie.

The movie takes a look at the laughing stock of baseball, at the time, the Cleveland Indians. With the hilarious ex show girl wife of the now dead owner taking over the team and wanting to re-locate them to sunny Florida (this is prior to the Marlins being introduced in 94). So she wants to put together the worst team possible as she has found a loup hole in the contract if their attendance falls below a certain number for the year then they can move, with no protest from the city. The attendance number that it has to fall below is some ridiculously low number but she thinks they can do it. There are many great scenes prior to any baseball being played at all, including one of the best lines in the movie when they are looking over the people they want to invite to camp."This guy here is dead!" "Cross him off then". If you love this movie like I do your laughing right now. I know I need to shorten up the end of this review for word sake so i'll go quickly through the rest. So they assemble this team of a few has beens and a couple of never will be's.First there is one of the best guys in the movie Harry Doyle(Bob Uecker)as the announcer who's quick wit really carry a lot of the moive(not really part of the team but deserved to be mentioned). Lou-The minor league manager who works at Tire World and doesn't seem to be too excited about managing the Indians as he puts the GM on hold because he has someone on the other line asking about some whitewalls. Jake-The aging catcher w/bad knees. Dorn-The over confident 3rd baseman who can't field a ground ball. Hays-Who can run circles around anyone but likes to pop the ball up. Harris-The aging pitcher who throws nothing but spit balls. Cerano-The voodoo man who can't hit a curve ball. Then there is Vaughn, the pitcher who can throw the ball as hard as anyone but just can't control it. Playing the enemies in the movie, it's baseball so it still stands today and would have to be, are the Yankees. The Indians go thru the season struggling of course until the GM tells the manager that the owner has hired all of them just to loose. So this, like in most 80's movies, is the what I like to call "we're gonna do it!" factor of the movie. Where they Indians need to win something like 32 out of 40 games to get into and final day tie with the Yankees. This makes it so that there is a one game playoff between the two. This by far is the best part of the movie, this whole game. If you haven't seen this movie I won't give it all away, but i'm sure you know the end because it's an 80's movie. Still to this day whenever I see this movie I still get chills with the Harry Doyle call at the end. As I said before one of my favortie movies from my childhood.

3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

ONE OF THE FUNNIEST FILMS!

Author: Nick (ToyotaSUPRAFREAK@yahoo.com) from Mass
24 August 2002

This movie was funny!! Charlie Sheen was great as the WILD THING (Mr. Tough Guy) Denis haybert as Cerrano was funny with his pathetic voodoo stuff.. and tom berenger was not bad.. But this was about a bunch idiots on a professional baseball team and they end up going to the Pennant.. also Wesley Snipes played a great role of Willie Mayes Hayes!

Very funny baseball movie!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
26 November 2006

I have heard pretty much mostly good reviews when it came to Major League, and I am a baseball fan, so I definitely wanted to give Major League a look. I was lucky, my mom has one and two, so last night I finally sat down and watched it and I have to say that I had a few good laughs here and there. I loved the scene where the guys had their first prayer and the monk set a fire for his little doll that he worships and it set off the sprinklers!

Basically, Rachel Pheleps is the new owner of the Cleveland Indians after her husband dies, and she doesn't like Cleveland. In order to move the team to a warmer climate like Miami, she has to have a low audience for the games and she hires the worst team possible. But they prove themselves to be more, especially when the team finds out that Rachel wants the team to loose, they pull themselves together to win the games!

Major League had some good laughs and I would recommend it for anyone, even those baseball haters, just have a good time. Charlie Sheen really stole the show as Wild Thing! I loved how he had his sleeves cut off all the time, even for formal events. Major League is a fun comedy that I'm sure anyone could get at least one good laugh out of.

"Juuust a bit outside."

Author: grendelkhan from Xanadu
28 July 2003

Let me preface this by saying I can't stand baseball; I find it to be one of the most boring sports out there. With that said, I love this film. It has a great "underdog" story, some genuine comedy, great characters, and heart. It's a minor film, but it's thoroughly entertaining. If more films could just be entertaining, I might go to the theater more often.

The heart of this film is the characters. We have the broken down veterans, the rookies, the love interest, the wise old coach, and the villain. These are rather cliched characters, but they are written and performed so well, you don't notice. Much of the humor arises out of character moments, which keeps it from becoming tired or dated.

Tom Berenger and Charlie Sheen were hot, coming off of the success of Platoon. Corbin Bernsen was enjoying fame on LA Law. Rene Russo and Wesley Snipes were relative unknowns who got a chance to shine. And then there's Bob Uecker! Uecker is the glue that brings everything together and he gets the best lines in the movie.

You can't go wrong with a film like this. Everything works well and a good time is had by all. Too bad the sequels forgot what made this a success.

Baseball comedy classic

Author: El Guapo-2 from United States
16 September 2003

"Major League" is nothing original... it borrows heavily from the "Bad News Bears" school of screen writing. What holds the movie together is the easy charm and camaraderie of the cast, which features some tried and true character actors: Bob Uecker, basically playing himself; Margaret Whitfield, playing her patented "bitch" role, and James Gammon, playing the wise old coot who has seen it all. Rounding out the cast are Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen and Rene Russo, who at the time was new to features. The plot is as follows: The owner of the Cleveland Indians marries a Vegas showgirl and dies on his honeymoon, leaving her the team. Cleveland (which the song being played over the main titles laughingly refers to as "city of light, city of magic"- perhaps they are referring to when the Cuyahuga River caught on fire?) doesn't agree with her, so she wants to exploit a loophole in her contract with the city which stipulates if attendance falls below a certain level, she can take the franchise out of Cleveland. So she goes out and gets herself the sorriest looking group of ballplayers you've ever seen... A Cuban defector (because his religion is voodoo) who can only hit fastballs (Dennis Haysbert), the worlds laziest third baseman (Think Bernsen as a clean shaven Wade Boggs), a catcher with shot-out knees (Berenger channeling Johnny Bench or Cartlton Fisk), a near-sighted pitcher who throws 100 MPH at everything but the plate (Sheen), and the lead-off hitter who thinks he is Rickey Henderson (Wesley Snipes). The movie has a lot of laughs and it's a fun way to waste 90 minutes. Directed by David S. Ward of "The Sting" fame. Interestingly enough, this movie did give the nickname "Wild Thing" to one-time Philadelphia pitcher Mitch whatshisname who threw a bad pitch to Joe Carter in the 9th inning to lose the '93 World Series to Toronto.

These guys don't look to f**king good!

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
6 July 2008

Cleveland Indian's owner Rachel Phelps puts together the worst baseball team she can find, the hope is that they finish plum last and she can then relocate the franchise to sunny Florida. However once the assortment of oddball players get wind of the plan they find a goal to achieve collectively, with hilarious results.

Goofy? Well yes it is of course, but Major League has charm in abundance and with a pretty smart cast having fun, the result is a truly enjoyable and laugh filled piece of fluff. The striking thing to me is that you don't have to have any knowledge or love of baseball to enjoy this movie, it thrives on locker room mentality and crowd demented loyalty for its laughs; and Major League delivers them almost at every turn. The assorted members comprise such characters like a voodoo nutter and a wild child parolee: And those are the sane ones!! The cast is made up of big names-Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen, Rene Russo and Wesley Snipes are in it for laughs-and you should be as well. On its release, Major League proved a popular crowd winner, so much so that two desperately bad sequels were spawned, do avoid those at all costs but make sure to see this one if you are in need of a pick me up.

Wild thing you make my heart sing indeed. 7/10

Terrifc Crowd-Pleaser

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
29 February 2008

Major League (1989)

**** (out of 4)

Wonderful crowd-pleaser about a group of misfit baseball players who are thrown together by an owner who hopes they're bad enough so that she can relocate the team to a new city in the off season. The players of the Cleveland Indians find out about this and decide to give it their all to become winners. MAJOR LEAGUE really isn't anything that we haven't seen before in countless sports movies. We have the typical stereotypes and the clichéd story and we all know how it's going to end. With that said, who says you can't take something old and make it fresh and exciting? This here is without question one of the best comedies of the 80s and I really think it keeps getting better with age. The movie really has one terrific scene after another as one can't help but fall in love with these losers, their situation and of course you want to see them win. What works so well is that we're given a terrific cast with Tom Berenger and Charlie Sheen leading the way as the wise vet and the wild rookie. The two of them work perfectly well together and certainly help keep the film going at a fast pace. The supporting cast gives us wonderful work by Corbin Bernsen, Margaret Whitton, James Gammon, Wesley Snipes, Charles Cyphers, Dennis Haysbert, Chelcie Ross and Rene Russo. We also have the priceless Bob Uecker who turns in one of the memorable roles in sports film history. The film is perfectly directed by David Ward who perfectly plays up the various comedy routines but he also manages to packs some wonderful tension during the final ballgame as the Indians go up against the Yankees. MAJOR LEAGUE has non-stop laughs from start to finish but we even get a little side romance and of course plenty of dirty jokes. The R-rating really helps this film because it just seems like one of those macho movies where guys talk dirty and it's all wonderfully funny.

Page 7 of 10: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]