IMDb > Major League (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

One of my favorites

Author: thehl from Va Beach, VA
7 July 1999

Major league is the story of the Cleveland Indians back when they couldn't win a ball game. The owner is justifiably sick of Cleveland (I've been there) and wants to move the team to Miami, but the only escape clause is if the attendance falls dramatically.

So the owner decides to assemble the worst bunch of misfits possible to lose as many games as possible to move the team.

The cast is full of future stars including Rene Russo and Wesley Snipes. They are all funny and entertaining.

The movie's well written with the typical feel-good ending you'd expect from a sports movie. You should enjoy this one.

Funny, if timeworn

Author: Matt-183
26 February 1999

A team of misfits is put together by a scheming owner who wants to move the team to Miami. Old plot is overshadowed by the acting of Berenger, Snipes, and especially Charlie Sheen. Bob Uecker is hilarious as the play-by-play guy, supplying a stream of one-liners to enhance the humor of the flick. Probably not good for someone who does not like baseball, but anybody who knows anything about the game should like this movie.

Rating: 7/10

No surprises but lots of laughs.

Author: tommy mason (tommyson1@aol.com) from birmingham alabama
22 February 1999

So you can see every joke coming a mile down the road. So what. It's a hilarious movie and my favorite baseball movie of all time. Number 2 is good but nowhere near this and even though I haven't seen 3 i'm sure it isn't either. It's not a landmark film but it made me laugh.

A bunch of misfits make a run for the American League Pennant.

Author: The Boz from Fort Collins, Colorado
30 July 1998

A hilarious baseball movie about a bunch of misfits, cons, and old-timers that make the best of the situation and try to win the American League pennant. The movie offers a lot of laughs as this group of so-called baseball players tries to overcome all the obstacles their owner puts in front of them. Their new owner wants to move the team and can only do so by keeping attendance low. She (Margaret Whitton) pulls out all the stops and tries to deter the Cleveland Indians from winning. Charlie Sheen, Tom Beringer, and Corbin Bernsen lead an all-star cast is this all-out comedy that takes the Indians all the way to the pennant. Bob Uecker plays the Indians play-by-play announcer as the lovable and funny Harry Doyle. He throws in one-liners the whole movie and adds to the overall humor in this film. If your a sports fan and love sports movies, this baseball "blooper" is a great choice.

Still the best sports movie ever made.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
19 November 2010

I can't work out Major League, it is about a sport I hate, and is made in exactly the same way - and covers much the same ground - as many other sports movies that I loathe.

Only I think for some reason it is near perfect.

The new owner of a Major League baseball team, the Cleveland Indians, decides to deliberately put together the worst team possible in order to drive down attendance and fan interest so that she can exercise a clause in the owner's contract and move the franchise to warmer territory.

Gee, d'ya think they'll win?? You'd never see this movie made today, firstly I'm amazed that the overly PC major sports in the US allowed this one to happen in the first place. Baseball players are seen to be selfish, cocky, brash, prima-donnas who will think nothing of cheating or putting down others to better their own position.

All true to from what I've seen in 20 something years of following sport.

The strange thing is that in making a movie that seeks to send up the sport and the athletes the filmmakers showed exactly why sport is so awesome in the first place. The comraderie, the trash-talk and petty infighting, the pranks, the constant losing and then the exhilaration as the team actually starts winning.

The team is made up of no-hopers and past their primes: The no-hopers: Charlie Sheen as an out of control pitcher named Ricky Vaughn, a cocky Willie Mays Hays who showed up with being asked to try out for the team, (Wesley Snipes in a very early role), a voodoo follower who can't hit a curveball and others… The past their primes: Tom Berenger as Jake Taylor, a catcher who is wracked with injury, Corbin Bernsen as Roger Dorn, a pretty boy more concerned with his future endorsements than winning games, and Chelcie Ross as Ed Harris, a crafty veteran who now relies more on cheating than brute strength and skill.

The team manager is the gruff, blunt and hilarious Lou Brown, elevated unexpectedly from his previous role selling tyres to the big league. Lou takes no sh*t, cares not for ceremony and tells it like it is, and his responses to some of the queries made by prima donnas are classic.

As the team builds momentum the owner, aware that success means fans, which means no moving to a better city, removes the player perks including.

The final game to decide the fate of the season, versus of course the team's nemesis is brilliant, you know you are being manipulated but still can't help but feel pulled into the contest. I still get pins and needles even though I've seen this soooo many times, and Bob Eucker as Harry Doyle is simply the best commentator for the game.

The game lasts almost 20 minutes of screen time, and not a minute is wasted, even though there is hardly a joke or laugh to be had in the whole scene. By this stage if you are still on board this far into the movie you are likely less of a film watcher than a sport's fan, this last segment is so well made that it is almost as rewarding as rewatching some of the greatest games that actually occurred in sport's history.

Final Rating – 9 / 10. I don't know what to tell you, aside from this movie made me love baseball - until the credits roll that is.

If you liked this review (or even if you didn't) check out oneguyrambling.com

Funniest Sports Movie Ever!

Author: Jason McDonald from Rancho Cucamonga, CA United States
23 January 2005

Even for people who are not fond of baseball, this movie will make you laugh. It tells the story of how the widowed "ex showgirl" wife of the owner of the Cleveland Indians takes over the team. Unhappy with Cleveland, she plots to move the team to Miami. The only way to do this however, is for the team to play badly enough to drop the season's attendance to an all time low. In order to accomplish this, she puts together a team made up of has beens, never-will-be's, criminals and nervous rookies. One of the best lines in the movie occurs when team management is going over the list of invitees to camp...

"This guy here is dead!" "Cross him off then!" Great acting all around especially from Berenger and Sheen, but the one who steals the show is Bob Ueker, playing over the top commentator Harry Doyle. Listen for the subtle humor as he overplays the little action occurring on the field. The baseball action is great, and the humor is unending. I recommend this movie to everyone.

"Yo' bartender, Jo-Boo needs a refill"

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
21 October 2004

A major league baseball team in Cleveland gets taken over by bitchy Whitton who plans to insure that the team performs so badly to finish dead-last. Then she can relocate the team to sunny Miami and live the good life. However, the washed-up and burned-out ballplayers give their all to make sure that doesn't happen, and perhaps even win the championship.

This formula driven sports comedy rises above mediocrity thanks to a superb cast, well written one-liners and sure handed direction from the man who brought us the Oscar winning "The Sting". Tom Berenger is terrific as a burned-out ball player, James Gammon is a hoot as the coach, 24's Dennis Haysbert is great as Voodoo worshiping Cerrano and even Corbin Bernsen is good as well. But the real star here is Charlie Sheen, displaying a delightful comic talent, as Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn, the half blind, unbeleivably fast-throwing pitcher. The ending, while predictable, is sure to delight. 8 out of 10

Favorite movie from my Childhood.

Author: Dennis Kline (eliteskyy@msn.com) from Cavetown, MD
24 February 2004

*****Spoilers*****

This is by far my favorite movie from my adolecent age as I was 11 when it came out and saw it in the teatres and remember it like it was yesterday. I am on of the biggest baseball fans you will ever meet (an Orioles fan if your keeping track). This movie, that I probably should not have seen at the age of 11 because of the language, was great. It still holds the test of time. My wife and I watch it whenever it comes on TV and she hates to watch it because I will say the lines of the movie right befor they come on word for word, man I even think that I know the edited versions from watching it on regular TV. My cousin and I spent countless hours of our life watching this movie.

The movie takes a look at the laughing stock of baseball, at the time, the Cleveland Indians. With the hilarious ex show girl wife of the now dead owner taking over the team and wanting to re-locate them to sunny Florida (this is prior to the Marlins being introduced in 94). So she wants to put together the worst team possible as she has found a loup hole in the contract if their attendance falls below a certain number for the year then they can move, with no protest from the city. The attendance number that it has to fall below is some ridiculously low number but she thinks they can do it. There are many great scenes prior to any baseball being played at all, including one of the best lines in the movie when they are looking over the people they want to invite to camp."This guy here is dead!" "Cross him off then". If you love this movie like I do your laughing right now. I know I need to shorten up the end of this review for word sake so i'll go quickly through the rest. So they assemble this team of a few has beens and a couple of never will be's.First there is one of the best guys in the movie Harry Doyle(Bob Uecker)as the announcer who's quick wit really carry a lot of the moive(not really part of the team but deserved to be mentioned). Lou-The minor league manager who works at Tire World and doesn't seem to be too excited about managing the Indians as he puts the GM on hold because he has someone on the other line asking about some whitewalls. Jake-The aging catcher w/bad knees. Dorn-The over confident 3rd baseman who can't field a ground ball. Hays-Who can run circles around anyone but likes to pop the ball up. Harris-The aging pitcher who throws nothing but spit balls. Cerano-The voodoo man who can't hit a curve ball. Then there is Vaughn, the pitcher who can throw the ball as hard as anyone but just can't control it. Playing the enemies in the movie, it's baseball so it still stands today and would have to be, are the Yankees. The Indians go thru the season struggling of course until the GM tells the manager that the owner has hired all of them just to loose. So this, like in most 80's movies, is the what I like to call "we're gonna do it!" factor of the movie. Where they Indians need to win something like 32 out of 40 games to get into and final day tie with the Yankees. This makes it so that there is a one game playoff between the two. This by far is the best part of the movie, this whole game. If you haven't seen this movie I won't give it all away, but i'm sure you know the end because it's an 80's movie. Still to this day whenever I see this movie I still get chills with the Harry Doyle call at the end. As I said before one of my favortie movies from my childhood.

3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

ONE OF THE FUNNIEST FILMS!

Author: Nick (ToyotaSUPRAFREAK@yahoo.com) from Mass
24 August 2002

This movie was funny!! Charlie Sheen was great as the WILD THING (Mr. Tough Guy) Denis haybert as Cerrano was funny with his pathetic voodoo stuff.. and tom berenger was not bad.. But this was about a bunch idiots on a professional baseball team and they end up going to the Pennant.. also Wesley Snipes played a great role of Willie Mayes Hayes!

Major League

Author: Tim Cox from Marietta, OH
27 June 1999

Fun baseball comedy about a bunch of lackluster ball players who hear their new owner is counting on them to lose. Great cast all around, especially former ball player Uecker, whose play by play antics give the film its best moments.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]