IMDb > Major League (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Classic 80's comedy.

Author: newfiesailor from Canada
25 April 2006

Easy going charm and an assortment of nutty characters make this one of the most entertaining sport's comedies ever. Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen, Rene Russo and Wesley Snipes all star as the "Bad News" Cleveland Indians who are searching for their first pennant in thirty years. The Plot: Rachel Phelps as Margaret Whitton inherits the management of the baseball team after her husband dies and puts together a roster of players with a sure fire recipe to lose. However the team overcomes it's difficulties and fights Mrs. Whitton's various hurdles to: you guessed it.

Some great characters and great scenes make this one a winner. Charlie Sheen as the juvenile delinquent "Wild Thing" has a scene stealing moment as he exits the bullpen and enters the last game against the Yanks. Dennis Haybert as the voodoo worshiping Pedro Cerano adds more flavor. Wesley Snipes (before he started taking himself too serious) was charismatic as the speedy Willie Mays Hays. James Gammon is great as the barking, gruff manager who does a classic with Corben Bernson's character's contract. Even Bernsen, who plays a spoiled playboy type is marvelous. Berenger and Russo, who play the romantic side, do it well, keeping it low key as to not take anything away from the main plot. Very upbeat, funny film.

Two of my favorite moments: Wild Thing in the restaurant with cut off shirt, crazy hairdo, earring and a tie wrapped around his bare neck says deadpan "I look like a banker." Classic Charlie Sheen. Also Tom Berenger in slow motion in the final game headed for first. The look of heart, as the movie certainly has.

the best baseball movie??

Author: pax03 from United States
12 March 2006

In my opinion this is the best baseball movie out there. Sure there are others (the natural, the babe, field of dreams, etc.) but this one had it all. Put it this way, it had everything all the good baseball movies had in it plus alittle extra. It had great acting (Berenger, Sheen, Snipes, Bernson, Haysbert, Russo, Gammon, etc.) they were all spot on with their characters and some will never live down their characters here. The story was intriguing one as well, the basic story is this "evil" GM of a terrible baseball team, and of course its a woman, is trying to get the team to loose all their games so she can move the team to Miami and out of Ohio where she hates being and replace the current players with better "personel" Along with that story, there is kind of a love triangle with Berenger/Russo/and her new man. This doesn't take over the main story though and its good it doesn't stray far from what it is, a baseball movie. It is good to have other side stories as well to keep the pace of the movie going: Cerano having trouble with the curve ball and the old pitcher that gives him crap about being into Voodoo. Rick Vaughn having trouble with seeing, his temper, and his control. Willie Mayes Hayes trying to show off his "hit like Hayes, Run like Mayes" style, and Roger Dorn with his trouble trying to keep his self clean of any injuries and trying to cleanly field a ground ball. All these side stories get played out very well and they help the 2 main story lines keep the pacing of the movie very sharp. The script was sharp as well, a lot of baseball jargon and quick witty dialog, I think some was ad libbed by some of them and the comedic timing was right on. If you are a baseball fan you cant NOT like this movie and you should get chills like I do every time I see the final game and the finale of the film, very emotional and a great ending. The finale might of just made this one of, if not the best baseball movie ever made. Like I said before you aren't a baseball fan if you didn't like this movie! plan and simple.

Capt. Ron????

Author: Max_Schmeling from United States
20 December 2005

Just a quick question that has bothered me for some time. Before the series with the Yanks, when the team is flying to the game, Lou calls Ricky to the back of the plane to advise him that he is not starting. Rick is wearing a shirt with "Capt. Ron" on it.

At first, I thought maybe this was a reference to the movie Captain Ron, of which I had never seen (I thought maybe he was in it). I looked up this movie on this site and found out it was made 3-4 years later and Charlie Sheen had nothing to do with it.

Does anyone know the connection, or is there any? What does this cryptic shirt mean? I know I should let it go, but it bothers me.

The Bad News Bears Meet The 1973 Mets

Author: ray-280 from Philadelphia
25 August 2005

In the last three games of the 1980 seasons, the Mets played the Pirates, and set a record for lowest home attendance for a three-game series, at slightly over 5,000 tickets. Three of those were mine. The Indians from this movie were about as bad, and the stadium about as empty.

The plot: a stripper's husband dies on their honeymoon, and she wants to move the Cleveland Indians, whom she inherited, to Miami. To do this, she compiles the worst collection of players she can find while still appearing to try to win.

Like the Bears, who were court-ordered because everyone had to get a chance to play, these Indians are "owner ordered" because their mission was to lose games. Neither team would have existed otherwise.

The "Buttermaker" role in this film, Manger Lou Brown (a tire salesman), is played stereotypically well by James Gammon. "Englebert" (catcher Jake Taylor) is played by Tom Berenger, with Rene Russo as his annoying ex-girlfriend that he inexplicably still wants. "Amanda" in this movie is "Wild Thing" (played by Charlie Sheen), the no-nonsense ex-con with the killer fastball. "Kelly Leak" was divided in half, with the delinquent half incorporated into Sheen's character, and the slugging half to political exile Pedro Cerrano, a Cuban national who fled Castro's persecution over his practice of voodoo. Corbin Bernsen (now a very bald John Durant on General Hospital) is Roger Dorn, the prima donna third baseman who refuses to give even 50 percent for this farce of a team. Wesley Snipes is Willy Mays Hayes, a gate-crasher at Spring Training who literally runs his way onto the team.

The season starts off predictably, but the owner (Margaret Whitton) is not pleased because the team isn't as bad (16-25) as she had hoped. When they reach .500 at 60-60, only nine games out of first, she goes ballistic and cuts the team's legs out from under them, forcing them to train with poor equipment and travel in an old chartered plane that put the fear of God into the team. When the Bear-I mean the Indians, find out why they were hired, they have that coming-of-age moment when they decide to rise up and "win the whole thing." Like the 1973 Mets, who came from 11.5 games back at the end of August to pass five teams and win the division, these Indians play hard, even Dorn gets into the act and plays like it's a contract year, and the movie climaxes on the final day of the season with the Indians and Yankees in a playoff for the title.

The subplots are well-acted and the casting was superb, as the future careers of many actors in this film testifies to.

Funniest baseball movie ever

Author: arthurclay from Italy
5 June 2005

And a great comedic lineup. Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, and Wesley Snipes light up the screen with their antics while Bob Uecker brings the wisecracks which I heard were completely ad-libbed. When the owner of the Cleveland Indians dies the new owner his wife, decides to move the team to Miami but first she has to break her lease with the city. So she figures out a way. If the attendance drops low enough for the year she has the right to leave. So she puts together the worst team in the history of Major League Baseball. They absolutely suck. But then they get better and threaten to ruin her well laid plans. The manager and the owner are so damn funny and they have all the good lines. Watching the skipper whiz on Dorn's contract for the first time was priceless. If you haven't seen this one run out and get it I sure did and I don't regret it for a minute.

Baseball at its Funniest

Author: mOVIemAN56
2 April 2005

The Indians can't win and now they have a new owner. Rachael Phelps (Margaret Whitton) is an ex-model and widow of the Indians owner. But instead of turning the Indians around, she wants them to finish dead last so she can move the team down south. So the worst bunch of players and strangest people together. Jake Taylor (Tom Berenger) is the washed up catcher, Cerrano (Dennis Haysbert) is a voodoo outfielder, Willie 'Mays' Hayes (Wesley Snipes) is the uninvited player, Rick Vaughn (Charlie Sheen) is the pitcher who can't throw a strike, and Roger Dorn (Corbin Bernson) is the player waiting to be traded.

After learning of their owners ploy the team must come together to win the division without killing one another. The film is filled with profanity but used at the right times to bring out the most laughs. Charlie Sheen is absolutely hilarious trying to pitch and being an ex-felon at the same time. My favorite character doesn't even talk, Cerrano's god Jobu, as it curses people throughout the movie and screw Cerrano throughout the season by not letting him hit a curve ball.

Major League. Starring: Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Dennis Haysbert, Wesley Snipes, James Gammon, and Corbin Bernson.

4 out of 5 Stars.

Brilliant

Author: matt hart (matth334) from United States
26 February 2005

This is one of my favorite all time movies. Its absolutely brilliant. The best scene is when Jake Taylor goes to what he think sis is ex girlfriend's apartment only to find out its her current boyfriend's place. The scene is so well done. Its a riot seeing other peoples reactions to what the other characters are saying. It gets funnier every time and it is so subtle, then topped off with "Stay away from her." "Suck my dick." Brilliant. My comment at this point is only three lines and needs to be ten so I will go on further with more genius scenes. The fact that Willie Mays Hayes car is a VW bug made to look like a Rolls is hilarious. This move is better then Bull Durham, not because the baseball scenes are better, they aren't. It is better because Renne Russo is sooo much better looking the Susan Surandon. Also worth watching are the edited for television scenes. "Want me to take him outside, kick the *snot* out of him? Why oh why did they make the second movie PG13? that is what killed it. They wanted to appeal to the young kids who were my age who saw the movie and loved it. In effect they made it unfunny. Kids my age seen the movie regardless of its rating. It would have been the same for the crap sequel. Back to the minors improves a little bit, but is still not really funny. Bob Euker is of course Hilarious. I think I am at 10 lines now.

The Slap Shot of Baseball

Author: Ryan from King of Prussia, PA
13 February 2005

Sure it's a cliché. Sure, there are no real surprises. But it's fun. Seeing the hapless Cleveland Indians, brought together as a team for the sole purpose of losing so many games the Indians can move to Florida, find a way to win with a manager who was selling tires before the season (James Gammon) with a catcher who's knees are shot (Tom Berenger) and a pitcher who was pitching in the California Penial League the year before. How did he get there? "I stole a car," Wild Thing Ricky Vaughn (Charlie Sheen) responds. That is the makeup of an "every-team" that is the Indians, and is enough to carry the movie from start to finish. Corbin Bernsin plays a cocky (what are the odds?) third baseman, Wesley Snipes is a speedy centerfielder, Dennis Haysbert is a Voodoo loving rightfielder, and Rene Russo makes her movie debut as the love interest of one of the ball players. The man who steals the movie, however, is Bob Uecker as the bumbling Indian's announcer, who is famous for the phrase "Juuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside" for a pitch 4 feet off the plate. A true comedic role that narrates the movie and gives us a sense of following a team through it's season. A fun baseball movie, while not the best ever, still good fun.

So Predictable But So Much Fun!

Author: no-skyline from London, England
25 March 2004

From the moment you press play you will know the ending to the film, the misfits will come good despite the odds. But in this kind of film that doesn't matter it's all about the fun they have on the way. Charlie Sheen, Tom Berrenger and Rene Russo all provide good performances and keep the pace going at a fair clip but it's Margaret Whitton as the scheming owner, James Gammon as the coach and particularly the outstanding Bob Uecker who provide the films standout characters. This is by no means the best sports movie you'll ever see that in my opinion would go to Slap Shot, it's not even the best baseball movie which I believe is the slightly more serious Bull Durham but it's a perfect popcorn movie. 7/10

My favorite movie

Author: senrav2 from Grandin, Florida
1 March 2003

This is my favorite movie. I know saying that may make me seem unsophisticated to everybody on the IMDB, but hear me out. I love all of the characters: Taylor, Hayes, Lou Brown, Cerrano, Dorn, Harris, the Wild Thing, Rachel Phelps, and even the hated New York Yankees.

I think there is more quotable dialogue here than in any other baseball movie, including Bull Durham. The amount of profanity is just right; it's not over the top, but it's not subdued to the point that the players come off as unrealistic. The acting is good as well, even on the technical/baseball side of things.

Comedy is tough to quantify, but this is the funniest movie I've ever seen (and I've seen it upwards of 30 times). If you want a heavy look at baseball and how it's a part of the American culture, go with Bull Durham or Field of Dreams. If you want a great comedy that's still a great baseball movie, you won't go wrong here.

10 out of 10