IMDb > Major League (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

My favorite movie

Author: senrav2 from Grandin, Florida
1 March 2003

This is my favorite movie. I know saying that may make me seem unsophisticated to everybody on the IMDB, but hear me out. I love all of the characters: Taylor, Hayes, Lou Brown, Cerrano, Dorn, Harris, the Wild Thing, Rachel Phelps, and even the hated New York Yankees.

I think there is more quotable dialogue here than in any other baseball movie, including Bull Durham. The amount of profanity is just right; it's not over the top, but it's not subdued to the point that the players come off as unrealistic. The acting is good as well, even on the technical/baseball side of things.

Comedy is tough to quantify, but this is the funniest movie I've ever seen (and I've seen it upwards of 30 times). If you want a heavy look at baseball and how it's a part of the American culture, go with Bull Durham or Field of Dreams. If you want a great comedy that's still a great baseball movie, you won't go wrong here.

10 out of 10

Best baseball movie ever!

Author: ofoley from Oakland, CA
25 July 2002

And I love them all, Field of Dreams, the Natural, Pride of the Yankees, Bull Durham, but this one blows them away. Purely the funniest! If you haven't seen this movie yet, go rent it now. It is the most hilarious look at Major League baseball ever. The jokes are great, the characters are fantastic, and the ending always pumps me up!

Hidden Funny

Author: Brian (beckbc) from James Madison University, Va
27 March 2002

At the end of the movie there is the funniest thing I have ever seen, and most people don't notice it. When the fans start running on to the field at end, look in the bottom left corner of the screen. Look for the man in red, white and blue. You won't be disappointed.

Underdog ball team goes for pennant, with hillarious results.

Author: Gregory Gonzalez from Syracuse, NY, US of A
27 February 2002

What more can I say? Even though the jokes stopped being funny 10 years ago, and I can't stand sports, this is a movie I can watch and enjoy each and every time it's on.

The proof is in the rest of the reviews posted here. Some are less glowing than others, but I'd bet that this is one of the few films in IMDB that has nothing but positive reviews.

It's a perfect balance of farce and "story", and it will always have a place in my library.

Great

Author: amgordon from Vegas
11 November 2001

Simply the best movie I have ever seen in my entire life hands down.... This movie is non-stop laughing and if should be illegal not 2 see it... When you are born a copy of Major League should be sent to you by the government as a gift.

A question of balance

Author: e14iron from England
21 October 2001

This, whichever way you measure it, is a film of absolutely no consequence. Yet I have probably seen it more times than any other (modern) film. Which I suspect means that (for me at least) it is a *perfectly balanced* film of no consequence. Set your cynicism aside and enjoy.

hilarious

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
16 September 2001

I rank this as one of my favorite baseball movies. They say the original is always the best one, and in this case I agree. I liked it better than the sequels they made on it. The Cleveland Indians owner wants to move her team to Florida, so she stocks her team with a bunch of losers, cons, and other misfits that she thinks could hardly win a game, much less the pennant. (which is the only thing that can prevent her from moving the team) The result is one heck of a funny movie with continuous laughs throughout.

*** out of ****

one of the best movies ever

Author: OzzyCash from Nashville, TN
16 August 2001

I really love this movie and I've watched it over and over. A bunch of has beens and nobodies are brought into to be on the Indians team by the new rich female owner who wants the team to be so terrible that attendence will be so poor that they can move to another state, I forget the state sorry. I like Tom Berenger and he does a great job as well as Wesley Snipes and Corbin Bernsen. The movie is filled with great characters and it's one of the funniest movies of all time. 9/10

I love this movie, the first is always the best

Author: Keyser Soze-12 from Birmingham, AL
12 August 2001

Major League invented the modern day sports film formula. That formula goes as follows: take a team of any sport that is doing really horrible, add a bunch of misfit players with screwball personalities, spend most of the film showing how they have hidden talent, spend what's left of the film showing them kicking everybody's asses, then go into a big "ending game" where they win. Now, we have seen this formula a thousand times. This is quite possibly the most copied and repeated formula ever created because all the movies that use it are exactly the same, only with a different sport and characters with different quirks. What are some movies like this? Well, there's Necessary Roughness, Major League 2 & 3, The Replacements, all those Mighty Ducks movies, and, ummm, about 500 others that I can't think of right now. Just trust me, there are enough clones of this movie to make those anti- stem cell people wet their pants.

What makes Major League different is that is was first (but, if I'm wrong about this, please correct me). To my knowledge, it was the first movie to use this exact formula. Now comedic sports movies have existed since Edison's day, but Major League was the first to do this. And I think it's the best. What makes it better than the clones with the same formula is talent. This film is filled with it. Charlie Sheen playing a pot smoking, car stealing, punk, which is, well, himself. Tom Berrigner before he started making straight to video films (what happened to him? The guy's nominated for an Oscar, then he's flipping burgers at McDonalds. Since when does it work like that?) Renne Russo in her first film, I think. Dennis Haysbert is hilarious as the voodoo man Pedro, my favorite character in the film. Wesley Snipes is great and pretty much unnoticed in this film. Had this movie been made today, he would have gotten top billing, but this was before he was famous.

If I had to pick one thing about this movie that I don't like, it would have to be the routine "big game at the end". The movie is hilarious up to this point, when it gets serious. It's like someone hits the brakes when you're going 80 down the interstate, in what I call comedic whiplash. This happens in a lot of movies (remember Space Cowboys?). But Major League just gets too serious too quickly. But that's my only gripe and it hurts me to say it because I love this little movie.

Yep, I love this movie. It's very close to my heart. It hasn't got the big laughs of some movies, it isn't filled with comedians, it isn't crude, racist, or blasphemous (not that I really care); but it is funny and it has heart. It's just a fun, good ol movie. In fact, I have yet to meet a person who didn't like it. Now I can't say that about the clones.

Rating: Probably a 7 or an 8. Somewhere in that area.

brillant comedy

Author: graemewilb (graemewilb@aol.com) from Blackburn, England
24 July 2001

Having just managed to get a copy on video, it is still a great comedy after all these years , remembering that i went to watch it twice when it first come out.Baseball is not a big sport in the UK but it did'nt matter if you did not understand the sport , the comedy was great, and a mixture of great characters, an ex con , a washed up player with dodgy knees, a poser and a player that has voodoo as his religion , put it with a announcer who says what he thinks and you have the mixture for a great film . It is a film about the under dog who gets on top, a bunch of misfit players who come together to get one over on their bitch of an owner played by Margret Whitton , Charlie Sheen is great as Wild Thing Rick Vaughn with a brillant haircut , Berenger has a great line when he is talking to Corbin Bernsen, after Bersen had not dived for a ball during a game " If you ever tank a play like that again I will cut your nuts off and shove them down your F****** throat ". The first was the best and the sequals were a let down , but after 12 years the original is still a great comedy film

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]