IMDb > Major League (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Brilliant

Author: matt hart (matth334) from United States
26 February 2005

This is one of my favorite all time movies. Its absolutely brilliant. The best scene is when Jake Taylor goes to what he think sis is ex girlfriend's apartment only to find out its her current boyfriend's place. The scene is so well done. Its a riot seeing other peoples reactions to what the other characters are saying. It gets funnier every time and it is so subtle, then topped off with "Stay away from her." "Suck my dick." Brilliant. My comment at this point is only three lines and needs to be ten so I will go on further with more genius scenes. The fact that Willie Mays Hayes car is a VW bug made to look like a Rolls is hilarious. This move is better then Bull Durham, not because the baseball scenes are better, they aren't. It is better because Renne Russo is sooo much better looking the Susan Surandon. Also worth watching are the edited for television scenes. "Want me to take him outside, kick the *snot* out of him? Why oh why did they make the second movie PG13? that is what killed it. They wanted to appeal to the young kids who were my age who saw the movie and loved it. In effect they made it unfunny. Kids my age seen the movie regardless of its rating. It would have been the same for the crap sequel. Back to the minors improves a little bit, but is still not really funny. Bob Euker is of course Hilarious. I think I am at 10 lines now.

The Slap Shot of Baseball

Author: Ryan from King of Prussia, PA
13 February 2005

Sure it's a cliché. Sure, there are no real surprises. But it's fun. Seeing the hapless Cleveland Indians, brought together as a team for the sole purpose of losing so many games the Indians can move to Florida, find a way to win with a manager who was selling tires before the season (James Gammon) with a catcher who's knees are shot (Tom Berenger) and a pitcher who was pitching in the California Penial League the year before. How did he get there? "I stole a car," Wild Thing Ricky Vaughn (Charlie Sheen) responds. That is the makeup of an "every-team" that is the Indians, and is enough to carry the movie from start to finish. Corbin Bernsin plays a cocky (what are the odds?) third baseman, Wesley Snipes is a speedy centerfielder, Dennis Haysbert is a Voodoo loving rightfielder, and Rene Russo makes her movie debut as the love interest of one of the ball players. The man who steals the movie, however, is Bob Uecker as the bumbling Indian's announcer, who is famous for the phrase "Juuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside" for a pitch 4 feet off the plate. A true comedic role that narrates the movie and gives us a sense of following a team through it's season. A fun baseball movie, while not the best ever, still good fun.

So Predictable But So Much Fun!

Author: no-skyline from London, England
25 March 2004

From the moment you press play you will know the ending to the film, the misfits will come good despite the odds. But in this kind of film that doesn't matter it's all about the fun they have on the way. Charlie Sheen, Tom Berrenger and Rene Russo all provide good performances and keep the pace going at a fair clip but it's Margaret Whitton as the scheming owner, James Gammon as the coach and particularly the outstanding Bob Uecker who provide the films standout characters. This is by no means the best sports movie you'll ever see that in my opinion would go to Slap Shot, it's not even the best baseball movie which I believe is the slightly more serious Bull Durham but it's a perfect popcorn movie. 7/10

My favorite movie

Author: senrav2 from Grandin, Florida
1 March 2003

This is my favorite movie. I know saying that may make me seem unsophisticated to everybody on the IMDB, but hear me out. I love all of the characters: Taylor, Hayes, Lou Brown, Cerrano, Dorn, Harris, the Wild Thing, Rachel Phelps, and even the hated New York Yankees.

I think there is more quotable dialogue here than in any other baseball movie, including Bull Durham. The amount of profanity is just right; it's not over the top, but it's not subdued to the point that the players come off as unrealistic. The acting is good as well, even on the technical/baseball side of things.

Comedy is tough to quantify, but this is the funniest movie I've ever seen (and I've seen it upwards of 30 times). If you want a heavy look at baseball and how it's a part of the American culture, go with Bull Durham or Field of Dreams. If you want a great comedy that's still a great baseball movie, you won't go wrong here.

10 out of 10

Best baseball movie ever!

Author: ofoley from Oakland, CA
25 July 2002

And I love them all, Field of Dreams, the Natural, Pride of the Yankees, Bull Durham, but this one blows them away. Purely the funniest! If you haven't seen this movie yet, go rent it now. It is the most hilarious look at Major League baseball ever. The jokes are great, the characters are fantastic, and the ending always pumps me up!

Hidden Funny

Author: Brian (beckbc) from James Madison University, Va
27 March 2002

At the end of the movie there is the funniest thing I have ever seen, and most people don't notice it. When the fans start running on to the field at end, look in the bottom left corner of the screen. Look for the man in red, white and blue. You won't be disappointed.

Underdog ball team goes for pennant, with hillarious results.

Author: Gregory Gonzalez from Syracuse, NY, US of A
27 February 2002

What more can I say? Even though the jokes stopped being funny 10 years ago, and I can't stand sports, this is a movie I can watch and enjoy each and every time it's on.

The proof is in the rest of the reviews posted here. Some are less glowing than others, but I'd bet that this is one of the few films in IMDB that has nothing but positive reviews.

It's a perfect balance of farce and "story", and it will always have a place in my library.

Great

Author: amgordon from Vegas
11 November 2001

Simply the best movie I have ever seen in my entire life hands down.... This movie is non-stop laughing and if should be illegal not 2 see it... When you are born a copy of Major League should be sent to you by the government as a gift.

A question of balance

Author: e14iron from England
21 October 2001

This, whichever way you measure it, is a film of absolutely no consequence. Yet I have probably seen it more times than any other (modern) film. Which I suspect means that (for me at least) it is a *perfectly balanced* film of no consequence. Set your cynicism aside and enjoy.

hilarious

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
16 September 2001

I rank this as one of my favorite baseball movies. They say the original is always the best one, and in this case I agree. I liked it better than the sequels they made on it. The Cleveland Indians owner wants to move her team to Florida, so she stocks her team with a bunch of losers, cons, and other misfits that she thinks could hardly win a game, much less the pennant. (which is the only thing that can prevent her from moving the team) The result is one heck of a funny movie with continuous laughs throughout.

*** out of ****