IMDb > Major League (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Major League

Major League More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

The best baseball movie, and maybe the best overall comedy, of all time

Author: josecanter from United States
5 November 2015

Major League holds up today not only as the rare sports-themed comedy to balance goofiness and dynamic game atmospherics seamlessly, but also as a fleeting reminder of baseball's last remnants of participatory charm and gee-whiz curveball worship.

In the History of sports there's always been at least two baseball films that has stood out above all the rest. For me it's Major League and The Sandlot. Major League is truly a sports comedy classic. What makes Major League such a winner is the many memorable scenes in the film and characters. Charlie Sheen as "Wild Thing" Vaughn, I mean you gotta love his bad boy character.

As funny as this movie is, it's the vulnerability of the three main stars is really what makes the movie work.

Classic Comedy

Author: gavin6942 from United States
5 November 2015

The new owner of the Cleveland Indians puts together a purposely horrible team so they will lose and she can move the team. But when the plot is uncovered, they start winning just to spite her.

While this is not the funniest movie or the most cleverly plot (it is actually very formulaic), it works. This is the sort of film that cable TV can play almost every day and people will sit and watch it. They love Wild Thing, they love the young Wesley Snipes.

I sort of like the younger Corbin Bernsen. After his movie career, he had a resurgence thanks o his supporting role on "Psych". It is fun to go back and see him twenty years ago, before he got old enough to play a retired cop!

Wild thing, you make my heart sing.

Author: lastliberal from United States
22 November 2008

There was a lousy football game on so I thought I would wait for a better one and watch this film again. I am glad i did as the game ended 40-10.

The cast of this film is what makes it. They put together a great group to do a movie that is nothing special - losers and has-beens win the pennant.

I like Charlie Sheen and he is worth watching in anything he does, especially "Two and a Half Men." He was perfect in the character of the renegade.

I just saw Corbin Bernsen recently in The Dentist, and he can bring laughs to any movie.

Rene Russo? I love her and even though her part was small, it was great.

Wesley Snipes, Tom Berenger, and Dennis Haysbert all had a unique way of making this a great movie. And, hooray for Stacy Carroll in her only movie. How did they let her get away? I want to thank the Japanese Academy for recognizing this film with a nomination for best Foreign Film. They recognize greatness when they see it.

Fun and good but not excellent

Author: udeaasykle (udeaasykle@hotmail.com) from Sandnes, Norway
5 July 2004

Reading my headline it may seem as though I have something against this movie. I like Major League but it is not as funny as when I saw it when I was younger. Still after all these years it is still charming and I did enjoy it. It has the classic one talent thing going on where there is one who runs fast, one who batter well etc. It has a great cast list from Charlie Sheen to Wesley Snipes to Tom Berenger. The story is nothing special. They put together a team of losers who of course manage to win the entire thing. And of course there is a bad guy in these types of movies. A lot of great characters mixed with fun situations and an ok story. What do you get? You get Major League. I rate this movie 6/10

great sports film to add to your collection

Author: Sam smith (sam_smithreview) from London, Englad
27 April 2016

Being a sports fan who loves comedies, you can't beat this flick. This is one movie that I can watch over and over without getting sick of it. Definitely hilarious, the one-liners are great. The cast is solid as well. Wesley Snipes, Tom Berenger, Dennis Haysbert, Corbin Bernsen, Charlie Sheen and Bob Uecker are excellent in their roles. I love how the film holds nothing back as well, unlike the sequel where the language and what not was toned down.

no movie based on the national pastime can ever claim to be as hysterically funny as Major League. Granted, the value of the original was hurt by the second and third attempts at re-creating the atmosphere. Those two films were an embarrassment to all involved.

Major League, however, personified the attitude of "Nothing to lose". Aside from the easily identified woes of the Cleveland franchise of the late-eighties, there were several actors in this film that had yet to hit big or had started to fall from grace. The incredibly strong language of the movie only made it seem that much more realistic.

Wild thing you make my heart sing!

Author: Predrag (pzivojinovic@yahoo.com) from Serbia
25 March 2016

Major League is a lighthearted, entertaining film that also happens to be hysterically funny. Throw the great sport of baseball into the mix and it is a win/win for those who love the game and those who just want to have a good laugh. Major League is impressive on three levels. First, the actors are brilliant (even those relegated to smaller roles). Second, the plot is mainly baseball action, baseball action and more baseball action. Third, it's hilarious and makes you feel good. I watch it almost every summer, and for a comedy to lend itself to repeated viewings is a rare thing indeed. On another note, the screen presence of every actor and actress in this movie is phenomenal. Sheen, Beringer, Corbin, Rene Russo and Wesley Snipes all in the same movie acting at the top of their game. Even those minor characters like Cerrano, Bob Ucker and the old veteran pitcher are acting their hearts out here. It's literally an All-Star team of great actors! I felt this was a beautiful film. Just the right amount of romance combined with good old side splitting comedy!

Overall rating: 9 out of 10.

Rather fun baseball flick.

Author: Aaron1375
17 November 2010

This was a rather fun film featuring the old worst to first team. The catch here is that the owner of the team wants to relocate the Cleveland Indians to Florida or somewhere like that. To accomplish this she proceeds to put together a team that she hopes will be beyond bad. Enter a crew of misfits that feature aging players like Eddie the pitcher, an aging catcher whose knees are not what they used to be Jake Taylor, and Roger Dorn who cares more about life after baseball than playing the game with any passion in the present. Also present are some young guys like Pedro Cerrano who can hit a fastball a mile (a curve not so much), a speedy guy named Willie Mayes Hayes who invites himself to camp and Ricky Vaughn a hard throwing pitcher with no control. Well this team is not as terrible as expected and it is brought to the manager's attention and his plan is to win not only a few games here and there, but the entire division. The movie is funny and has a bit more bite to it than the sequel which is basically this movie again without much Reno Russo as Jake's girl and no Wesley Snipes at all as he is recast. For a baseball film featuring the whole underdogs trying to win it all it does fairly well. I enjoyed Charlie Sheen as the pitcher with a wild fastball that gets good by getting glasses. I also enjoyed Snipes and I was saddened when he was not in the sequel. Basically a good cast and a good funny baseball film.

A Very Entertaining Romp

Author: jstrick1985 from NY, NY
8 December 2014

I came across this on television, and had to marvel. It's been 25 years since this band of losers and misfits came together and transformed Cleveland Indians baseball.

Major League may be formulaic, especially in the second half of the film, but it is memorably unpredictable in moments and quite charming. The cast is filled with Eighties TV icons like Corbin Bernsen and future stars, like a young Wesley Snipes. It is a blast to see Tom Berenger and Charlie Sheen, who were at each others' throats in Platoon, as teammates and friends. And maybe it's my old sentimentality, but the throwaway love story between Berenger and Rene Russo feels deeper and more real than it deserves to be. A terrific and fun movie.

A Movie that I can watch over and over again

Author: jseph1234 from United States
1 November 2014

I find myself sometimes just wanting to watch an amazing movie and Major League is one of those movies.

I believe I have watched this movie at least 10 times and it never gets old when I watch it.

The acting is first class staring a young Wesley Snipes, Charlie Sheen and Tom Berenger. Also, with future star Dennis Haysbert as a voodoo worshiping slugger (very funny)and of course Bob Uecker!!

The plots and trials and hard-aches of the Cleveland Indians are so poignantly displayed and presented in a way that it makes Major League a movie that I can watch over and over.

Great group chemistry in lovable comedy

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 April 2014

Former exotic dancer Rachel Phelps (Margaret Whitton) is left as the new owner of the Cleveland Indians after the old owner died. She wants to move the team to Miami. The team has a lease with the city that has an escape clause if the attendance falls below 800,000. So she has gathered a team of the worst scrap heap players that she can find.

It is so refreshing to have a real MLB team name. The team has such a brilliant chemistry. The standout is Charlie Sheen as Wild Thing, but everybody is an unique character. Dennis Haysbert is amazing as voodoo using Cuban Cerrano. Tom Berenger is the worn out veteran. Even Wesley Snipes is funny back then when he was actually good. The best word to describe this movie is fun.

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]