IMDb > Major League (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Major League

Major League More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

You have to love films about baseball

Author: Frederick Smith from United States
29 January 2012

You have to love films about baseball, especially when they are extremely well written. This is one of those films. Ward has a handle on baseball players and baseball fans that cuts straight to the heart and draws you in. Instead of focusing on a single player, he makes baseball what it ought to be...a team effort. His team is Tom Berenger, who plays the past his prime catcher ready to have one more decent season. Renee Russo is his ex-fiancé who has moved on with her life, but is still in love with Jake. Charlie Sheen and Wesley Snipes become the "hotshots" of the rookies, Sheen as the pitcher with the blazing fast ball and a lack of control, nicknamed the Wild Thing, Snipes as Willie Mays Hays, the runner out to score 100 stolen bases in the season. Dennis Haysbert gives an excellent performance as Pedro Cerrano, the Cuban who defected from his native land to practice his religion...voodoo. Harsh language and a couple of scenes of brief nudity drew an R rating from the MPAA, but the teens ought to love it, especially the ones who have played baseball in school. Definitely a collectible.

Doesn't strike out...yet

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
16 March 2011

Major League is not only a comedy film with numerous laughs, it proves itself to be one of the grand-daddies of baseball comedies. A League of Their Own and Bull Durham are also among the list although those are more towards the drama genre. I attend various minor league baseball games a year. Approximately twelve. I love them. Being a Chicagoan, I think I'd rather watch minor league teams than major league teams.

Some may call that strange, but I love the entertainment and the "close to home" feel provided by a minor league game. There are tons of events on the field to keep me interested, and I know pretty much every cop and concession stand employee there thanks to my father. It's an enjoyable time. I walk around most of the game, chat with various officers, it's a damn good time.

On with the film. I can discuss Minors vs. Majors in a separate blog. After the Cleveland Indians' owner dies, her husband Rachel (Whitton) inherits the team. She plans to make the team as poor as possible so they can move the team to Miami. To put it simply, she sabotages the team, the stadium, and everything else in various ways to assure a poor season.

The team is mainly made up of rookies like Willie "Mays" Hayes (Snipes), Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn (Sheen), and Jake Taylor (Berenger). They're acceptable players, but no where near as good as they should be.

One thing I really enjoyed and found worthwhile about Major League is the fact that we get closer into Jake Taylor's relationship life. It's good that all the fun doesn't take place on the field, and we get a wider variety and an in-depth look on one player's life. I would've liked to hear more about Lou Brown's (Gammon) career and more about some other players. But at least it's not all about on the field interactions.

Charlie Sheen, James Gammon, and Wesley Snipes were all great in the film. It's a little sad that Gammon died this past July, and news about it really didn't surface too much. Not looking at Gammon's filmography, I assume his career wasn't made up of too many more famous roles like his portrayal of Lou Brown.

Charlie Sheen was extremely hilarious in this film, but watching it only makes me more sad about he just continues to make an ass of himself to the media. His career is going straight into the ground as of now. In this film he was extremely handsome, but now his image makes him look older than he is, and his reputation is plummeting into the ground. Oh well, his role as Wild Thing was, say, WINNING.

Wesley Snipes is fantastic in this as well playing Willy "Mays" Hayes. He is absolutely funny, and a great addition to the cast. Too bad for him as well because since Snipes refuses to pay his taxes, he is in prison until 2013. I really enjoyed him in movies like Blade and Passenger 57.

What truly scares me is that this film has spawned two sequels. This kind of film can only be done well once, passably a second time, and pretty much end horrifically with a third film. Back to the Minors could easily make or break the franchise. Why make a sequel when Berenger and Sheen don't even return? It's all about the benjamins.

Major League can be summed up with a few statements. An enjoyable baseball comedy, a cast of greats, but a cast of people whose lives either ended tragically or just were forgotten.

Starring: Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen, Rene Russo, James Gammon, Margaret Whitton, and Wesley Snipes. Diretded by: David S. Ward.

A really good and massively entertaining sports film

Author: CarlosERM from Venezuela
26 February 2015

My rating: 7.5/10

My opinion on the film:

As a comedy, Major League is only sporadically funny, although it did get a few laughs from me, but its true strength lies in the fact that it is a really good and massively entertaining sports film. The baseball sequences were mostly amazing, the cast was great, and it had a cool soundtrack. Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, and the rest were fantastic and hadn't it been for them, the film would probably not have been the same. Finally, I have to make a special mention to the heart- pounding final 20 minutes in which a truly awesome baseball game stood for a memorable climax.

A Very Entertaining Romp

Author: jstrick1985 from NY, NY
8 December 2014

I came across this on television, and had to marvel. It's been 25 years since this band of losers and misfits came together and transformed Cleveland Indians baseball.

Major League may be formulaic, especially in the second half of the film, but it is memorably unpredictable in moments and quite charming. The cast is filled with Eighties TV icons like Corbin Bernsen and future stars, like a young Wesley Snipes. It is a blast to see Tom Berenger and Charlie Sheen, who were at each others' throats in Platoon, as teammates and friends. And maybe it's my old sentimentality, but the throwaway love story between Berenger and Rene Russo feels deeper and more real than it deserves to be. A terrific and fun movie.

A Movie that I can watch over and over again

Author: jseph1234 from United States
1 November 2014

I find myself sometimes just wanting to watch an amazing movie and Major League is one of those movies.

I believe I have watched this movie at least 10 times and it never gets old when I watch it.

The acting is first class staring a young Wesley Snipes, Charlie Sheen and Tom Berenger. Also, with future star Dennis Haysbert as a voodoo worshiping slugger (very funny)and of course Bob Uecker!!

The plots and trials and hard-aches of the Cleveland Indians are so poignantly displayed and presented in a way that it makes Major League a movie that I can watch over and over.

One of the great sports comedies

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
18 August 2014

As baseball movies go, MAJOR LEAGUE is my favorite. Been that way since I was a kid, and the laugh's are still fresh today. It boasts a terrific collection of characters (pretty much the whole cast - even smartass Bob Uecker - but mostly Berenger, Snipes and Sheen), and MAJOR LEAGUE II even proved that you can't just replace Snipes' charisma with another guy. I love this movie's profane attitude, that these misfits band together in one collective middle finger to the team's shrew owner. There's some real heart here and it's a great down-n-dirty triumph over opposition story.

But at the end of the day, it's a great comedy with more than a few memorable one-liners and a winning sense of humor. It's even a great Cleveland movie. And I always forget, between the editing and the roar of the crowd, just how charged that final game is.

Be ready to wear a smile when the end credits hit, 'cause there's no other possible facial expression. It's just science.

It's a fantastic movie.

Great group chemistry in lovable comedy

Author: SnoopyStyle
6 April 2014

Former exotic dancer Rachel Phelps (Margaret Whitton) is left as the new owner of the Cleveland Indians after the old owner died. She wants to move the team to Miami. The team has a lease with the city that has an escape clause if the attendance falls below 800,000. So she has gathered a team of the worst scrap heap players that she can find.

It is so refreshing to have a real MLB team name. The team has such a brilliant chemistry. The standout is Charlie Sheen as Wild Thing, but everybody is an unique character. Dennis Haysbert is amazing as voodoo using Cuban Cerrano. Tom Berenger is the worn out veteran. Even Wesley Snipes is funny back then when he was actually good. The best word to describe this movie is fun.

we got to win the whole ^%$# thing

Author: Adam Sentiff (Asentiff2004@yahoo.com) from Houston, Texas
26 December 2013

The new owner of the Cleveland Indians has a plan, she wants her team to do so horrible that she can move them to Miami. Purposely putting together the worst team and players she can find. Enter Jake Taylor, aged catcher and veteran, Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn, reckless pitcher and young upstart, and Willie "Say Hey" Mays, a fast as lightning nobody with something to prove. Along with a group of misfits they discover that the only way to save their team is to win the whole thing...

This film is simply genius and one of my favorite comedies of all time. Though you might not be a huge sports or baseball fan but this film has a little bit of everything. Senseless comedy, romance, action (sport- wise), and most importantly a lot of heart. The characters, though a group of misfits and oddballs are extremely likable and the chemistry between them is wonderful. Charlie Sheen does a wonderful job as does Wesley Snipes in one his earliest roles, James Gammon will have you in stitches as manager Lou Brown. You will become attached to the characters plight and maybe find yourself rooting for the Indians in real life, after having viewed this film. Spawning two sequels, though less popular and less entertaining then the original, Major League will have you laughing and rooting throughout the entire film.

Not a great movie, but it grows on you

Author: richard-1787 (richard@berrong.fr) from United States
22 October 2013

This isn't a great movie, certainly, and it starts off particularly weak, but it does grow on you, particularly if you've lived in Cleveland. The characters are all caricatures, of course. There are no 3-dimensional characters here. But as time goes on, and despite their problems, this Cleveland team begins to come together and play well, you start to like them and hope they will do better, perhaps because we're raised to like the underdog.

Some of the success of this movie must go to the director, who knows how to pace things so that we get involved in them, even though most of the characters aren't particularly likable.

So, in the end, you could do worse, and you won't be bored.

So funny

Author: SanteeFats from United States
27 July 2013

This movie is in the vein of Hot Shots but it is in baseball. Tom Berenger is great as the aging catcher who dreams of at least one for good year, which he gets. Tom is a team leader and a guide for the younger players. This team is put together to lose on purpose by the bitch who owns the team played nicely by Margaret Whitton. They get an old minor league washed up James Gammon to run the team expecting him to run it in to the ground. He doesn't do that but uses the fact that he owner wants them to fail as the motivation for the teams success. Charlie Sheen is good as the penal league pitcher Wild Thing. Wesley Snipes is fine as the over eager, wanna be power hitter, who must learn to hit it on the ground and steal bases. Rene Russo plays Berenger's exe and is decent in her role but not great.

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]