IMDb > Look Who's Talking (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Charming

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
4 February 2004

Look Who's Talking is such a great classic, one of my great memories of childhood, every weekend when I would go to my grandparent's place, they would let me pick a movie and we would watch it together, very often I would pick Look Who's Talking or Look Who's Talking Too, they were just such fun movies to watch and laugh at. When I grew up, I realized I hadn't seen the movie in so many years, but it was on TV the other day and I figured I would have a little blast from the past and watch it. You know what's strange about this movie? It's actually more for adults rather than the kids, but this became such a family friendly movie, but that's why many people say they don't make them like they used too, because writing where it is more aimed at the adults but it ends up being something that every age can enjoy is clever and this is one of the most fun movies of the 90's.

Mollie Jensen is an accountant living and working in New York City. The latest client she has been assigned by her firm is a charmingly-handsome but shallow womanizing executive named Albert who seduces her and although married embarks on an affair with Mollie, promising to leave his wife for her. Mollie becomes pregnant with his child. After realizing she is pregnant she informs Albert who takes the news well and again promises to leave his wife and raise the baby with her. Mollie continues her relationship with Albert as the pregnancy develops, however he's seeing another woman. Later when Mollie and her best friend Rona are shopping Mollie finds Albert in a clinch with the other woman. Angry and upset, a heart-broken Mollie storms off in a rage while the fight causes her to suddenly go into labor. When she hails a cab the driver James Ubriacco realizes the seriousness of the situation and speeds off to the hospital. Upon reaching the hospital, the nurses' confuse him for being the father of Mollie's baby and he feels inclined to stay. Mollie gives birth to a son she names Michael. A few days after "Mikey" is brought home, Mollie receives a visit from James, where he returns the purse she left behind in his taxi. James meets Mikey, and they seem to enjoy each others company. Mollie starts dating again, but quickly realizes that none of the men she has been seeing are good enough for Mikey and one night she lets her guard down and almost sleeps with James; however after imagining what life would be like if she married him, she asks him to leave, despite James telling her he loves both her and Mikey.

Look Who's Talking is a charming movie that I'm sure won't disappoint you, it's cute, romantic, funny, and has a great cast. It's a realistic look at what happens with unplanned pregnancy and John Travolta's character, James, becomes the ultimate and unexpected hero of the movie. I hope that I meet a guy like James one day, he was just so lovable. I also adored Bruce Willis' voice, he was a perfect fit for Mikey. Kristy Alley, she plays the crazy mother, but you see all that her character goes through and you just feel awful for her. This is such a great movie, I highly recommend it if you get the chance to see it, it's a great classic.

A film that never gets old

Author: Jenna Altringham (hayden-panettiere-ukfan) from Essex
13 April 2005

This film has always been a family favourite in our household, and being one when it was first released, I ended up growing up on this film, and I can safely say, 16 years later, I still love it.

I don't know anyone who can say that the children that played Mikey were not adorable, because they were seriously the cutest kids ever. I think the script was very well written, and even though I don't like him, Bruce Willis does really bring the character of Mikey to life.

John Travolta and Kirstie Alley and both outstanding actors, and this movie is no exception. I laugh, I cry, and I watch it over and over again. It is brilliant. The sequels are getting as much a cult watching with me as this original did, too.

Simply adorable

Author: Jigglypoof from Atlantic Canada
22 February 2000

Life from a baby's point of view. How thoughtful! I think this is one of the most innovative and delightful movies ever made... though I may be a little biased since, though I don't have any of my own, I love babies.

The only problem I had was the second "Molly, I'm gonna burst if I don't kiss you soon..." "Tough!" scene. Unnecessary and catches you off guard.

But overall... this is just darling if you love babies.

I originally got it when I traded another film with my brother when I was younger... not really realizing just how sweet it was until I got to my late teens and started thinking about babysitting and being a mother, etc.

I'm glad I have it in my collection. What else can I say? :o)

Take a Look.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
3 July 2002

Smart little comedy that expresses what a young baby is thinking (voiced by Bruce Willis) throughout its running time. Likeable performances from Kirstie Alley, John Travolta, George Segal and Olympia Dukakis add to the sometimes mediocre screenplay and unsteady direction. The clever idea though, which is very original, carries the film and makes it a funny and entertaining experience. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Amusing, funny and ripely entertaining comedy.

Author: silverzero from Dungarvan, Ireland
18 May 2003

Good scenario isn't it: baby observes the world as an adult would with sarcastic quips and anecdotes. And the movie itself is also quite good. Although it has the neccessary light touch, it's also rather adulty. Films of this calibre wouldn't usually have quite so much innuendo and sex-talk in them. This doesn't take away from the overall enjoyment of the movie, but it certainly is surprising.

There's a good cast to back this up. Kirstie Alley is ideal as the sexy single mother. John Travolta repeats his character in Saturday Night Fever to a certain degree, which isn't a bad thing. Bruce Willis steals the show as the voice of the baby though.

The result is a pleasing and enjoyable little comedy so I recommend "Look Who's Talking". My IMDb rating: 6.7/10.

Well I'll be damned...surprisingly good!!

Author: Mark Hyde (smoothgroove16@hotmail.com) from Folkestone, Kent
24 January 2005

This is certainly not my sort of film, but after my girlfriend began complaining we always watch my movies, I prepared myself for 90 minutes of fake laughter and smiling to keep her happy, after all who else was I gonna take to see the new 'Clint' movie out.

However the opening scene with the tadpoles set the way for 90 minutes of top notch comedy, not exactly a laugh a second sort of comedy like Scary Movie or The Naked Gun, but a more all round sort of comedy where most gags hit the mark, certainly a major difference to Scary Movie! The casting is spot on, one of the major differences to the sequel. Bruce Willis is a great choice to play the voice of Mikey, and John Travolta is fantastic. But for me it was George Segal who stole the show for me, playing Mikey's real father, who in his words is going through a 'selfish phase'.

Sadly the sequels are simply terrible, but this movie is one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time, and I gave it 8/10.

Oh, Baby

Author: hdmail from CT
19 July 2000

The concept of woman-with-child-meets-man-and-falls-in-love has been done to death in the movie industry. The only thing that can save a movie from being lost in the existing hash is a gimmick that makes it unique. Fortunately, "Look Who's Talking" gives a fresh perspective on an otherwise trite situation by demonstrating it from the baby's point of view. Even this could become annoying were it not for the fact that, rather than having a child actor flesh out the character, the clever, snappy dialogue is delivered by Bruce Willis in his most likeable role since "Moonlighting". Had they used a child's voice, lines such as "Let's get some apple juice down here!" would be merely cute; with Willis' smoky growl, they are hysterically funny.

Charming and funny

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
2 August 2010

Sure there may be some predictabilities in the story and one or two rushed scenes, but Look Who's Talking is a very charming and funny film and significantly better than its sequels. It looks very nice, has a good soundtrack and has some likable characters too. The script also has a lot of funny and somewhat quotable parts too.

The direction is fine, as is the acting. Bruce Willis is perfect as the voice of Mikey, while John Travolta is equally wonderful with a great smile. And George Seagal comes very close to stealing the show as his character goes through a selfish phase.

Overall, charming and funny. Nothing outstanding, but it was great to watch and I enjoyed it very much. 8/10 Bethany Cox

An underrated gem and one of the best comedies of the 80's ...

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
9 November 2011

"Look Who's Talking" is an enjoyable and entertaining comedy whose best achievement is to tackle very adult subjects with never falling in the trap of crude and unreasonably vulgar humor, the material contains very explicit sexual undertones, yet from beginning to end, it's still an original, a daring and endearing film, and yes … maybe one of the best comedies of the 80's.

I might be biased by using the word 'best' since the movie has always been one of my favorite as a child, and one of the few that I could recite line by line, scene by scene, but I trust my maturity even as a 10-year old kid, I have an alibi, I didn't like the sequel even at that time, so I know I loved the film not just because it was featuring sexual material or a kid talking like an adult, it was a funny, warm and entertaining story. And to understand why this film is great on so many levels, you just need to watch the sequels.

In fact, the whole "Look Who's Talking" premise, which is about hearing the kid's thoughts, spoken by an adult voice, Bruce Willis, as original and clever as it is, would have been pointless if the film wasn't driven by a real story that could appeal to the parents who'd come with their kids in the theater. If the baby was the focus, it would have been a cute but forgettable film just like "Baby's Day Out", something funny but without substance, or worse, a cult oddity à la "Howard the Duck", but Amy Heckerling's film was about a mother looking for a fatherly figure to raise her son.

And even this synopsis could have lead to a lesser film, if it wasn't for a nice touch of casting with Kirstie Alley as Mollie, and John Travolta as James, the first come-back before "Pulp Fiction". There's something so natural growing between these two actors, who were not big stars at that time, and maybe that contributed not to distract the film from its simplicity. In a way, this is what makes the film slightly better, or more appealing than "When Harry Met Sally…", because it doesn't look marketed to touch hearts, simple actors, a cast of honorable supporting stars, George Segal, Olympia Dukakis, Abe Vigoda, no big stars, but a great story … although, for the movie's defense, I think it should have garnered some Golden Globe nominations in the Comedy/Musical category, if only for the lead roles.

What makes the Alley-Travolta duo work, beyond the well-written script, is the great chemistry both have together, something that takes its time to become a reality, but when it happens, we know we're not watching cinematic clichés but real people. There's also another element, which is the genuine and authentic love both have for Mikey, the baby. Mollie doesn't play a mother, she's a real mother, as tough, vulnerable, hysterical or passionate as any other, and the complicity between James and Mikey is one of the things that I think touched me the most as a kid. James was more than a baby-sitter, he was a buddy for Mikey, and isn't this the true cement of a father-and-son relationship, being best friends?

Again, the film deals with these subjects without flirting with stereotypes, it has the guts to evoke artificial insemination, to feature a hilarious scene of fecundation with spermatozoa riding their way to the targeted ovule following the "Get Around" Beach Boys' song, and it's always fun and charming because the material is treated with the level of humor that doesn't make you feel guilty to appreciate what you watch. That way, the movie is worth many Sex Ed programs: indeed, my little brother never had to ask how we 'made babies' after this. The movie also features some borderlines lines as when the mother says that the artificial insemination "is the kind of thing a girl does if she's very ugly or a lesbian." Offensive? Maybe … but wouldn't a mother talk like that to her daughter?

This is the film's strength, every character speaks truly, the way we would expect and all these realistic interactions with the baby Mikey as the sentimental core, provides a great comedy film and so many memorable moments, among which my favorite, is the great dance sequence between John Travolta and the baby with "I'm Walkin' on the Sunshine". There is one part where Travolta holds Mikey in his arms and a smile of joy which in no way, looks acted, I know the "Pulp Fiction" dance sequence will forever be revered as one of the greatest Travolta's moments but this one will always come as a close second in my memories.

"Look Who's Talking" is a charming little film, with 'little' as a compliment, it never tries to exceed the limits of its ambitions, and is short enough not to drag on some parts, the music, the writing, the characterization, everything contributes to create this enjoyable feeling. And to end on an anecdote, I watched the film videotaped and for some reason, my dad stopped the recording right when the ending credits started, so I never saw the scene where they visit Mollie with her newborn baby Julie, the scene announcing the second opus.

Apparently, Heckerling was already planning to make a sequel, but when "Look Who's Talking" was over, when we knew who'd be Mikey's father, when we heard his cute little voice, and saw what a movie where we could hear the voice of baby would look like, then what was the purpose of a sequel? How could have it been as original or appealing? I would have asked 'why' myself if I saw this, and this is why I failed to appreciate the sequel as a kid, and even more as an adult.

LOVE this movie

Author: spewey07 from Canada
27 July 2011

Look Who's Talking is one of my favourite "feelgood" movies - the kind you watch when you just want to sit back, laugh, and not have to think too much.

Kirstie Alley plays Mollie, a 30-something accountant who finds herself pregnant by her sleazy married boyfriend (played annoyingly well by George Segal). After he abandons her for yet another mistress, she meets James (John Travolta), the cabbie who drives her to the hospital when she goes into labour.

The story that follows is par for the romantic comedy course - James falls in love with both mother and baby, while Mollie (at least initially) only sees him as a platonic friend and babysitter/surrogate father figure for son Mikey. She searches relentlessly for a suitable father for the child - dating a series of losers and even briefly attempting a reconciliation with Mikey's bio-dad. It takes her awhile, but she finally realizes that the right man has been right under her nose the whole time.

Bruce Willis is a hoot as the voice of baby Mikey - and the little boys who play Mikey are suitably adorable. The soundtrack music is fantastic, featuring the likes of Janis Joplin, The Beach Boys, and the Talking Heads.

Alley and Travolta have amazing on-screen chemistry, whereas Alley and Segal have virtually none - which, of course, is the whole point. Olympia Dukakis also has some funny scenes as Alley's meddling mom; as does Abe Vigoda as Travolta's senile grandpa.

Alley's character Mollie may be a bit unsympathetic at first - she is, after all, the "other woman" in an extramarital affair. But before long, you find yourself rooting for her to find true love and a father for her son. The movie is not perfect - it has it's share of flaws. But overall, there's not much to dislike. It's just plain fun to watch. A definite thumbs-up.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]