IMDb > Little Monsters (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Unforgettable childhood film

Author: colinwhitefan
18 May 2003

I thought this was the coolest movie back when I was a kid, I recently watched it again after many years, I introduced it to some of the younger kids in my family and they loved it. Fred Savage and his not as great little brother, Ben really related well with kids, I really didn't care for Daniel Stern in this film and Howie Mandel was super as the monster Maurice. I recommend this to kids who would like to see a good kids film for once, I know this is out of date for todays kiddos, but worth watching over and over again as the years go by. I really miss films like this and never will forget this film.

So bad you can't miss it.

Author: The Bronson Fan from PA
23 October 2004

Little Monsters is a revolting "comedy" about a young boy Brian, played by the one dimensional Fred Savage who ventures under his bed to discover a world of monsters, befriending the equally unfunny Howie Mandel. Movie starts with Savages parents marriage on the rocks, by chance Savage finds out there really are monsters under his bed. He meets Maurice (Mandel) and soon they begin to journey into the laughably stupid world of monsters that is apparently under everyone's beds. I'll be sure to check tonight. The two play some rather lame practical jokes on other people and some stupid games. After a practical joke on a girl he knows, Brian decides he wants no more and doesn't want to go back. Meantime in monster land Snik (Rick Ducommun) and his boss "Boy" wanted Brian and decide to kidnap his brother, to no surprise played by Ben Savage. Brian gathers some kids, a nerd, his girl and eventually a fat bully, and with flash lights that hurt the bad guys go to get his brother back. Soon they have a showdown with "Boy", yet another creepy stupid character who is quite disturbing to look at and hear talk. The gang manages to defeat them with some illumination just in time to return home and not turn into monsters. This movie is truly bad and only funny because it is so bad. Back in 92' a friend said it was funny, he was wrong. There is almost nothing funny about any of the crap they pull in this movie, presumably meant for kids and rather disgusting in many ways. Howie Mandel is one of the most unfunny people in Hollywood and is only staying in the spotlight due to late night TV allowing him on to do bits. Savage as in all his movie roles is one dimensional with that haircut borrowed from The Wonder Years to boot. I grew up with the wonder years so watching Savage is always a hoot. Daniel Stern is totally wasted in this film as Brians dad, he was better in the Wonder years as just a voice. Only one part seems to stand out as funny, when leader boy gets his face melted off and begins to talk. Savage of course screams like a girl, which is quite amusing. Overall I would avoid this if your looking for good writing and comedy, although I admit every time its on I have to watch this train wreck and get a laugh. It is that stupid. 4/10 stars.

More than Expected

Author: superboy478 from U.S.A.
29 April 2002

Little Monsters is a funny and moving family comedy that reminds me of my childhood days when I first saw the movie. I thought that the cast was perfect, the script was hilarious, and the special and make-up effects were outstanding.

Brian Stevenson (Fred Savage) has just moved into a new house with his parents and little brother Eric (Ben Savage). He has no friends and is not doing well with grades. That is until he discovers that a monster named Maurice (Howie Mandell) has invaded his room. He starts out scared of Maurice, but quickly becomes best friends with him. Maurice takes Brian to a world of Monsters under his bed and shows him the time of his life. Brian finds out though that the world is ruled by an evil monster (Frank Whaley) who terrorizes people and has not been seen latley. Together, Brian and Maurice embark on an adventure of a lifetime to put this monster away.

Fred Savage (The Wonder Years), Howie Mandell (Bobby's World), Ben Savage (Boy Meets World), Rick Ducommun (Blank Check, Scary Movie), Frank Whaley (Pulp Fiction, Field of Dreams), Devin Ratray (Home Alone 1 & 2), Daniel Stern (The Wonder Years).

Directed by Richard Greenberg of R. Greenberg/Associates in New York who design titles to movies and optical effects.

This movie is a must see for sure!

Fun & trouble all rolled up into one!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
13 September 2007

Being a kid is always going to be tough. Mischief and mayhem is all normal. At night they are afraid to sleep because of monsters. An early stage of common childhood fears. But what if the monsters they encounter are childish themselves? Yes, they are scary, that doesn't mean they are also mean. That's where Brian and his brother Eric are about to find out in this movie, "Little Monsters". It stars "The Wonder Years'" Fred Savage, and his brother, future "Boy Meets World" star, Ben. Fred plays Brian, Ben plays Eric. Brian gets blamed for the the accidents and mischief in the family home. He insists there's a monster who did it. His father(Daniel Stern) doesn't bite. In some reason, he does speak the truth. He meets a very mischievous monster named Maurice(Howie Mandel, "St. Elsewhere", "Bobby's World" & "Deal or No Deal") who lives underneath his bed. Knowing that he was telling the truth, he goes into Maurice world and sees that not all monsters are bad. They just like to have a little fun. Both he and Mo bond, and create all the trouble they want. They even help Brian with the bully by sabotaging his lunch: replacing the tuna with cat food, and Maurice drinks all the apple juice and pees into the bottle to p--- him off! However, he went too far by destroying his favorite girls school project. Brian got very mad! There is one monster who bullies the other ones and breaks Maurice's horn. Brian and his friends help him by taking out the mean monster, and his cronies. Life is tough for a kid, having a friend that's not human is everlasting. I liked this movie a whole lot, it was a lot of fun. 3 out of 5 stars!

Creative kid's adventure.

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
25 April 2004

Little Monsters is a fun film for kids. Brian Stevenson (Fred Savage) seems to be getting blamed for everything these days. Leaving his bike out behind his dad's car. Making a mess out of the ice cream. But Brian insists that it isn't his fault.

One night, Brian discovers the cause to all his problems is a monster named Maurice (Howie Mandell), and shows Brian that under every kids bed, is the entrance to the underworld of childish monsters. And for Brian, it's the coolest thing and an excellent escape from his problems in the real world. It's great. There's no adult supervision. They can do whatever they want, whenever. And, the funniest part, is that Brian gets to join Maurice creating monster mischief to get little kids in trouble (peanut butter on the phone, seran wrap on the toilet seat, etc). It's a whole lot of fun for kids tired of rules.

But the monster life isn't all the treat it's cracked up to be. In the first place, there's an ugly looking fat monster who torments the monster kids that don't obey him. Maurice and his new friends have to destroy the evil monsters who have kidnapped Brian's little brother, Eric (played by Fred Savage's brother, Ben). And, Brian, Maurice, and some of their friends, have to get Eric back before they get stuck in the monster world forever. If they do, they'll turn into monsters too.

This is a great, creative kids movie, exploring the idea of monster life under the bed long before Monster's Inc. I still enjoy the sequence of Brian setting up his room to trap the monster and also the sequence where Brian and Maurice go around the neighboorhood to cause mischief and get the kids in trouble. And, despite it's age, I don't even think it's a dated adventure movie. Unfortuantely, it was also one of those movies where young Ben Savage was still the cute little kid that made you ignore the fact that he couldn't act.

Great movie

Author: katieMe from United States, Florida
21 November 2005

This movie has always been a favorite of mine . It's one I always want to see and would let my kids see . OK so maybe that might be for me too. It never gets old and always keeps you smiling. I didn't realize this move came out when it did, because it stays with you like you just seen it.

I can still see parts from the movie in my head that make me laugh. My kids would love this movie. I just need o get it now. If I did get it it would be playing all the time .It's not a movie that is gonna scare kids . It's a good family film for the whole family of all ages .The move is always gonna be a favorite with me!!

This is bad movie

Author: liammcmanus-70916 from America
31 October 2015

This is one the worst kid's movies of all time and I feel depressed for the kids in the 90s who saw it;

it's an awkward, confused, ugly piece of movie garbage that can rot in cinema hell. Fred Savage does't have the charm of most child actors in these kind of movies and comes off as mean spirited and idiotic. Huey Mandel who can be hilarious in other media is annoying and awkwardly cringe worthy. The pranks the two main characters pull on the other kids are okay at first.... but soon become too cruel, one includes Huey Mandel's character urinating in the bully's apple juice... (I'm not kidding) and to makes this display worse we see the terrified kids take the blame for the damage two main leads caused and this supposed to be a "funny scene" but only makes the viewers feel terrible and hate the "heros".

it also far too scary for most kids and will even unnerve adults. At one point of the movie a bad monster rips off a child's head with a sicking crunch (This still kids movie remember) and throws the child screaming head into a cage with other heads there's no blood but will still terrify your kids if they they ever watch this The villain of the story "Boy" whose never explained and only named in the credits gets his faced melted off by a flashlight to revel a terrifying monster face.

The morals are screwed, as Fred Savage's character never owns up for the damaged he caused and the people he hurt. His parents say they going to get divorce in a depressing scene but it never gets resolved as the film ends anticlimactically...

avoid this movie at all costs there are light years better kids movies out there Disney and Dreamworks are proof of that and For those people who like this movie I cannot understand or respect you when you take off your 90s nostalgia glasses you see this nowhere close to being a good movie

I love this movie, it's great!!!!

Author: undrtakr22 from United States
28 June 2012

OK, I will not give away it's plot, or anything like that, but, I will tell you, that I am in my mid-30's, and I watched this movie, when it first came out, and I read, how another watcher, mentioned how they couldn't understand why it was such a "B" movie, when it really should have been one of the top movies of it's time, and I would have to agree with how it was made, and how the plot was pretty solid for it, unlike so many of the movies made in the past 10-15yrs, it is VERY underrated, and should be allowed to watch it, for many years to come, for the young-ins out there, that want to know, what a "real" movie looks like, and how it should be processed, with the right people playing the characters, and how the outfits are made right, to fit the scenes and etc, and yes, because of this movie, and a select few others, I really wanted to start acting myself, but with where I live, it is very hard to get to LA, where I feel is the best chance to get into the acting business, but I will get there, one day, and I will be looking for plots like this one, and etc, so that I can feel comfortable with finding my place in the industry, all because of the imaginative minds of the writers and set artists, like these, who created this movie.......

"Monsters Aren't Always Scary!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
24 April 2012

Fred Savage, Howie Mandel, Ben Savage, Rick Ducommun, Daniel Stern, Margaret Whitton and Frank Whaley star in this 1989 fantasy. Brian Stevenson (F. Savage) is an unhappy boy who has just moved to a new town with his family. One night, Brian hears his little brother, Eric (B. Savage) screaming after seeing a monster in his room. Soon, Brian meets and befriends mischievous monster, Maurice (Mandel) who comes from a bizarre world under their beds. Maurice gives Brian the tour and run into Snick (Ducommun) who works for head monster, Boy (Whaley). Boy and Snick decide to punish Maurice for revealing their world by kidnapping Eric and Brian attempts to rescue him with Maurice's help. Stern (Home Alone) and Whitton (The Secret of My Success) play Brian and Eric's parents, Glen and Holly. This is one of my childhood favorites that has some humorous, creepy & dramatic moments. Savage and Mandel are good together, Robert Short's make-up is great as well as David Newman's score. I recommend this good 80's flick.

Horrible fun!!!!!!!!

Author: jaggyaxe from United Kingdom
29 February 2008

I used to kill myself laughing at this film when I was young. Fred Savage seemed to get all the good roles in these kind of films in the late 80's and this one is great gross fun.

The film is just a smashing manic ride, racing along like a miniature Beetlejuce and has all the mischievous, sticky horrible nonsense that's usually found in the mind of kids! Ignore all the rubbish about sexual and paedophile undertones, It's simply folk reading WAY too much into things that could mean anything. Maybe some folk have some secrets of their own if they keep noticing things like that Hmmmm? I'm pretty sure the filmmakers didn't set out to do something like that deliberately! Great film! Thoroughly enjoyed it when I was 12, and still enjoy it now that I'm 30! Check out The Wizard as well! Another great (And misunderstood) Fred Savage Film

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]