IMDb > Listen to Me (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]

Great Flick

Author: laniard76
27 August 2003

Some of Kirk Cameron's best work. Unbelievable chemistry with Jamie Gertz. An interesting and surprisingly realistic portrayal of the college debate world. Dealt with important and personal issues, such as abortion, which are of great import in today's society. Highly recommended.

A touching and surprising story

Author: bigcheese from Mexico
4 June 2000

While this is by no means a masterpiece of cinematic achievement, it is however a moving story with a great subject and a superb soundtrack (one of the flaws of the remasterized version is the changing of said soundtrack). There were several things that enthralled me to this movie. The first is that it surprised me. After seeing a lot of movies, I usually know where things are headed way ahead of time, but here I was pleasantly surprised by some of the twist in the plot. But even after having watched it more than 10 times by now it still manages to touch me and send shivers down my spine near the end. A recommended must-see.

Top-Notch Cameron flick!

Author: crader28705 from United States
17 June 2005

Abortion...say that word and everyone thinks about an unborn child, I know I did, this movie shows that there are many forms of abortion and discrimination.

Kirk Cameron's delivery of an "Awe shucks" Okie is excellent and he is surrounded by a supporting cast that play their parts to the fullest.

This movie is an awesome display of depth and talent. I have seen bad reviews on this movie and can only feel sorry for those folks because they obviously missed the plot and in doing so were cheated out of a great movie.

2-Thumbs up! A must see for any intelligent person! v/r Buddy

A good movie, A strong message for reflection on abortion.

Author: cepheid from Albany, NY
25 May 2005

This movie is not a cinematographic masterpiece as far as acting or directing. The script, on the other hand, is very good and imposes on us deep moments of reflection. I consider it to be in between "not so good" to excellent depending on the mood I am when I watch it. Yes, I have seen it more than once. I like the fact that the film contains a character building message absent in many mid to late 20th century Hollywood productions. It also does a good job laying out the issues argued in Roe vs Wade, the supreme court decision that "legalized" abortion.

The script develops very well the matters that are central to today's debate between the "Pro-Life" and "Pro-Choice" ideas. It is well argued. I could even say the script is brilliant, although the director did not squeeze its full potential.

The movie depicts, using the theme of a college debate team arguing abortion, the reality that many teenagers may be forced to face too early in life, that of having a baby before being prepared for having one, and of having to make lifetime decision in a just a few weeks without enough understanding of consequences, without enough support and without trusting people who loves them. The movie develops the "character" of the characters very well. It shows them young, passionate and optimists, but at the same time shows them full of doubt, and just beginning to develop sound judgment in their first year of college.

The two main debaters rapidly evolve from superficial and uninvolved, to profound and involved. In the end they are able to perceive the impact that their decisions may have in defining their "character for life", the one they'll see in the mirror and in the moments of reflection for the rest of their life.

A good movie with a strong message for reflection that every teenager going to college should watch! This movie makes clear that protecting life is ultimately everyone's "sacred" responsibility.

Both the Greatest and the Worst film ever made

Author: William-15 from Providence, Rhode Island
8 May 2001

From the first seconds of the film, and continuously until the closing credits, this movie is a triumph in horrible film making. I LOVED IT! The film has incredibly one-dimensional main characters and an unbelievably underdeveloped supporting cast whose attempt at involvement is laughable and whose hijinxs make no sense. Take the picture-drawing kid. WHAT THE HECK!?? Or the guitar guy. WHA!?! The movie slams nonsense at you and it's amazing.

The next brilliant part of the film was the absolutely awful debating. The arguments the debaters use are just plain ludicrous. "Abortion is an abomination in the eyes of God!" Then loads of applause. COME ON!!!! While arguing against abortion, the debaters say:

1) I support the right to abortion 2) I had an abortion and would have one again 3) Abortion isn't wrong 4) I hope the state legislatures give people abortion rights

Did anyone else notice that!?

But what is the best part are the great ways that like everything ties into the end. Every single line uttered in the beginning derives significance at the end. Dostoevsky, pocketing ten dollars, the the prison kid, wrap-up specialist, everything.

This movie is the Plan 9 from Outer Space for a new generation. How did this movie ever get made? I don't know. But thank God it did.

An Intellectual "Rocky"

Author: shane250 from Staten Island, New York
24 March 2001

This surprisingly good movie is best described as an intellectual "Rocky", with the showdowns taking place in the halls of academia instead of a boxing ring. Kirk Cameron excells as the leader of a small college debate team facing the challenge of arguing the volatile abortion issue against a team from a renowned institution with a reputation for excellence in rhetoric. (The movie's working title was "Mismatch" before being released as "Listen to Me")

The abortion arguments are handled with such balance that the movie drew no significant objections from either side of the issue. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this entry and would enthusiastically recommend it to others.

A serious look at the abortion issue

Author: Christopher W. Thomas from Chula Vista, CA
8 June 2001

If you are looking for a movie that tackles the abortion issue from both sides, this is it. Cameron and Gertz through their characters Tucker Muldowney & Monica Tomanski are college debaters faced with arguing the anti-abortion side of the issue. They are joined by their wealthy (politically connected) friend Garson McKellar (Timothy Patrick Quill) and their interesting debate professor Charlie Nichols (Roy Scheider).

Despite the college environment, and occasional arguments based on opinions alone, a person could learn a great deal about the abortion issue from this movie, regardless of the side of the issue they believe in.

Overall I would give this movie an 8.5 out of 10.

Inspiring, uplifting, and emotional

Author: Jennifer from USA
30 April 2001

I found this movie to be thought provoking and inspirational. It moved me to tears. This movie has appeal for a variety of audiences. It has humor and drama. The cast of actors/actresses did a fine job. I really enjoyed this movie. It was well worth my time.

Page 4 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4]