IMDb > Howling V: The Rebirth (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

It's Budapest, Hungary...not Romania

Author: king_savage from Paducah, Kentucky
13 April 2004

I agree that this film is probably one of the most underrated werewolf films ever made. The original was truly a masterpiece. The second was very campy and corny, but worth the watch thanks to an amazing actor you might have heard of...Christopher Lee. The next two Howling installments were terrible and gave the franchise a bad name. Then along comes Clive Turner. He takes the werewolf out of the woods and confines it within a castle. What scares most people? Isolation...no escape...the unknown. Add an enormous werewolf to the mix and throw a scooby doo mystery twist on it and you've got Howling V: The Rebirth. A group of strangers are hand picked to spend the weekend in an isolated medieval castle in the Budapest country side that hasn't been opened for 500 years. Slowly, the guests begin to notice many similarities between themselves. Then it is revealed that one of them is a werewolf. The blood that flows through their veins is the blood of the werewolf that has plagued this castle and country once before. One of the members of the bloodline must kill the werewolf and lift the curse forever. In classic who done it fashion, The Rebirth delivers a compelling story with a fairly obvious twist. The entertainment value is high enough to deserve a late night viewing with a blanket and some popcorn. Just make sure to leave at least one light on...you'll need it.

The werewolf concept poured into a slasher/whodunit mystery format

Author: (Vomitron_G) from the Doomed Megalopolis of Blasphemous Technoids
27 May 2009

With this one, I've finally watched all the HOWLING sequels. I can see why people actually like this 5th installment, as it does try to do something else with the werewolf concept. It plays out like a whodunit-slasher, set on one imaginative location (a Hungarian castle setting). Yet still, when you have to judge it on its own terms and nature, it falls short at the end of the ride. There's too little of the mystery-plot to enjoy (not enough red herrings, no twists worth mentioning and the killer/werewolf could just be anybody really - it's no fun to think along with the plot as there is not much to think about and no real puzzles to be solved). All the actual kills sadly happen off-screen (only ripped throats are shown after the events). We don't get to see much of the werewolf (only some brief glimpses during the attacks) and the film does not feature a transformation-scene (which I was so hoping for to happen during the conclusion). It's even lacking a decent climax of sorts.

The acting is strictly so-so, provided by a cast compiled out of unfamiliar names (at least to me they were). The small bits of humor injected into some of the dialogues, didn't really pay off. Fortunately they weren't too distracting. As far as cinematography goes, I only found the special effect shots, of the exterior of the castle during a snow storm, to be enjoyable. The interior sets of the castle chambers, dungeons and corridors looked a little cheap. But that can be forgiven, due to the movie's low budget.

It's an amusing watch and certainly not the worst or most idiotic HOWLING sequel, yes, but nothing more. HOWLING V might have drawn a lot of influences from that other 'guess the werewolf'-film THE BEAST MUST DIE (1974, starring Peter Cushing). Slightly more ridiculous but also a lot more fun, that film's at least worth checking out. I'm not too sure about HOWLING V, though. I probably should be flunking this film, but I'll be forgiving in my final rating. If only for the fact that HOWLING V: THE REBIRTH is infinitely better than the series final installment, (Part 7) NEW MOON RISING. Part 7 tries to tie up loose ends between part 4 (THE ORIGINAL NIGHTMARE) and part 5 (THE REBIRTH), but writer/director/producer/actor Clive Turner turned it into an insufferable mess of a movie.

The best of the HOWLING movies

Author: ryannemetz from Orange, Ca.
14 February 2005

Howling V: The Rebrith takes place in an ancient medieval castle set in Hungary. The castle has been dormant for 500 years, and now there are a selected group of guests that are invited to spend a weekend there. Furthermore, none of these guests have had any previous contact with one another. It's not like they're there for a birthday bash or something of that nature. But soon enough, they realize they have more in common than they first expected. As the savage murders begin, they cannot escape the castle, essentially they are trapped inside its walls. By the way, the castle is sure a creepy one. I really love the atmosphere of this movie. And once all of that starts up, it's a game of who's the werewolf. The special effects are nothing special in this film. However, I think that the way the film carries itself proves that you don't need a ton of blood to have a good horror film. It's too bad that you don't get to see too much of the werewolf. I don't know if the budget contributed to this, or just maybe that's the way Neal (director) Sundstrum wanted things. Speaking of Sundstram, I would have liked to see him direct some other features. As far as I know, this is the only movie that he has directed. And finally, the ending has a good twist to it. I've seen all of the Howling films, and this is by far the best in the series. Howling V has no relationship to the previous films, outside of the title. 8/10

Better than I expected it to be, but...

Author: Barry Iverson (bearerik@techline.com) from Washington, USA
3 February 1999

Howling V: The Rebirth was better than I expected it to be, but still not a very good film. I don't know about you, but when I watch a werewolf movie I hope to actually SEE the werewolf from time to time. You DON'T SEE THE WEREWOLF in this movie. There are parts of it shown for a couple seconds here and there, but you never see the whole thing. This movie tries to be a mystery, wanting you to figure out who the wolf is. It isn't too hard to figure out, and the answer is confusing. If you want to watch a good werewolf movie, try the first Howling (stay away from parts 3 and 7 AT ALL COSTS) or Silver Bullet.

"We're not in the middle ages anymore"

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
31 October 2010

The Howling series doesn't have much of a great reputation, each one being different in style and tone with no real connection to each other. Although the second film does touch upon the original in some sort plot tie. I never been a huge fan of the original and the sequels that I've seen (2, 3 and 4) are simply inferior. So I went into the filth venture (another straight-to-video fare) expecting less, but actually came away mildly enjoying it. In some regards I enjoyed it more than the original… that's not to say it's better than that film. But I was pleasantly surprised by it.

A group of strangers selected from around the world are invited by an aristocratic count to the re-opening of a castle in Budapest that hasn't seen light for over 500 years due to its terrible past. Unknowingly to them everyone in the group bears an identical birthmark that links them to the castle's terrible past.

The low-budget, but sturdy "The Howling V: The Re-Birth" plays around with the ten little Indians murder mystery formula, but the killer is no ordinary being but actually a werewolf. The revelation might not come as a surprise, as there are certain clues scattered about pointing to the one in question, but it still remains cleverly penned (it elaborately plotted) and unpredictable in what order the guests become fresh meat. The performances are down-to-earth by the likes of Stephanie Faulkner, Mark Sivertsen and William Shockley, as there is an odd assortment of characters where a lot of time can be spent on trivial dialogue exchanges. However it stays gripping, crowned with mystery and danger where the remote Gothic castle setting (modern day Budapest) is dark and dank. The ominously gloomy and taut atmosphere works, as they keep to what its budget allows it and this means making sure the beast mostly stays in the shadows. Lurking or stalking its prey. Director Neal Sundstrom favours suggestively brooding handling. We don't get much of a real look, as there's plenty of rapid moving POV shots, minor flashes and off-screen attacks. What we did see of it didn't look the greatest, but it's acceptable. Moments do strike up some eerie spells and suspenseful build-ups before it deliver the shocks. It's helped by competently sweeping camera-work and a foreboding music score.

Entertaining superstitious whodunit b-grade hokum

Not Bad (for a Howling movie)

Author: Cody Usher from Conway, Ark.
27 May 2001

Howling V is my favorite so far out of all the Howling movies. However, that doesn't mean this is a good film. The acting is pretty bad and the effects are absolutely horrid, but the plot is decent enough to make it tolerable. This one, the original Howling, and Howling IV are the only ones worth watching out of the first 5 flicks. The Howling series is really really bad. Only true horror fanatics would be interested in them at all. The only worse horror series i have encountered is the Children of the Corn series. Howling V is pretty predictible and the characters aren't killed off fast enough, so it moves kind of slowly. The music played after each death is annoying too. Recommended for Horror/Werewolf fans. Rating 4 of 10.

Bark at the Moon

Author: lone-wolf-007 from United States
22 January 2010

Basically this is the werewolf version of Ten Little Indians. A group of people end up stranded at a castle during a snowstorm and while they wait for it to end someone or something begins to pick them off one by one. With the howling and teeth marks on the bodies it points to one of them not being what they seem. This is actually a fairly descent Howling movie but it does have a small budget. I will give credit in the fact that they did well with what they had. The ending is also somewhat clever if you are not paying close attention throughout the movie. Overall not bad for what it is and is better than some of the other sequels.

Finally, a legitimately good 'Howling' sequel

Author: sgtking from United States
6 June 2011

Evil lurks everywhere and always is finding ways to come back. Even if they appeared to be absolutely dead after the last encounter someone finds a way. This is how it goes in Horror movie sequels, which find both new ways to kill and resurrect the monsters. Of course eventually things get stale and people want the monster to be laid to rest. The first two 'Howling' sequels each tried to take the concept in different directions, but by IV it became old hat. This didn't stop another installment from being made, but the good news is that it's actually quite good and better than the previous sequels.

Pros: Actors turn in good performances. Good, sometimes creepy score. Memorable opening sequence. Castle is a great new setting, not to mention appropriately spooky. Well paced. Suspenseful direction. Pretty good whodunit. Good job on the minimal effects. A few good jolts.

Cons: Wafer thin plot. Some of the characters are really underdeveloped. Really brings nothing new to the table. A few really dumb moves by some of the characters.

Final thoughts: With each sequel the series seemed to be getting increasingly worse. However, this fourth sequel breaks the cycle and is actually the best since the first. Sure there's really nothing here you haven't seen before, but it's so well executed that it's OK. An unexpected treat, especially after such a dud.

My rating: 3.5/5

Fun Flick

Author: kefkajr from Werewolf Castle
30 August 2002

Exciting little addition to the HOWLING series. While there are a few entries to avoid in this series, this isn't one of them. A great flick if you're in the mood for a horror/mystery. Don't be fooled by that fake-looking wolf on the cover, this isn't half-bad.

And Then There Were None...Werewolves, I Mean

Author: Nancy_Grease from Canada
20 September 2014

Howling V: The Rebirth plays out like the Agatha Christie mystery staple; And Then There Were None as a cast of paper thin characters play a frivolous game of 'who's the werewolf' as their numbers are cut down every 8 minutes or so. That might not be too bad a framework for a horror movie however Howling V shoots itself in the foot by providing next to nothing in terms of werewolf action. There's some business at the onset establishing a curse hanging over a Hungarian castle and a flashcut of a werewolf as each bloodless killing goes down but that's all you'll get. It's going to be a real disappointment for fans of The Howling; one of the best werewolf movies to come out of Hollywood. As direct to video sequels go, it's a clean looking production and the final revelation will come as a mild surprise.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]