IMDb > Heathers (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Heathers

Heathers More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 26: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Dark-Comedy At It's Finest!

Author: Vertigo-27 from NC
8 August 1999

This movie defiantly packs a punch, and a meaning for that matter, not pussy-footing around like most do...

Leaves you with an overwhelming urge to do something extraordinary... wither it's eat a whole box of Malamars or go blow up a building of everyone you'ver ever hated or something like that.... (ha, ha)

Very well made movie, (almost taking it a step to far at the end... but holding its own) Ryder is perfect and the whole things comes together like you wouldn't believe it would...

One of those kind of movies... you just like and you don't really know why, and you will continue to watch it again and again... however this movie is not for everyone, exspecially if you are not one for dark humor...

Builds a hype and doesn't let off till its got what it was going for... wish there was somehow a sequel, but you know there never could be...

... and to all you 'Heathers' out there... look out... cause we're gonna get yeah....

A ruthless satire

Author: CrashN from Toronto, Canada
5 July 1999

Sardonic, innovative and engaging, "Heathers" is a film that you can thoroughly enjoy no matter how many times you see it. Amidst the clutter of the conventional, sentimentality-oozing John Hughes flicks, an escape was finally made when "Heathers" was released, fearlessly and ruthlessly giving high school films a kick in the @$$. One thing that makes this film stand above the rest is it`s razor-sharp humour, with a script abundant with brilliant slang and insults ("F**k me gently with a chainsaw!"), delivered by ingeniously created characters ranging from vicious hellcats to repressed-homosexual jocks. High school has never been so pessimistically portrayed than it is here, it is shown as a society where sadism, murder, suicide and media frenzies all seem to be the latest in trend. Winona Ryder and Christian Slater deliver excellent performances as the Bonnie and Clyde couple of the 80`s. But there is a lot more than black comedy going on here, at the heart of "Heathers" lies a scathing satire on adolescence, one that mercilessly displays just what might happen if extreme cruelty and violence continues to flourish in high schools, and just exactly how the American media will exploit it. Now that`s what I call provocative.

Best of the best

Author: PolSci80 from Missouri
4 June 1999

It has been 10 years since Heathers was released, and there still hasn't been a teen movie more smart, funny, or filled with memorable lines such as "How very." A girl and her new boyfriend kill the socially elite at their school. Sounds, funny? No. But because of the writing and acting I found myself cracking up as the various characters met their doom at the hands of Veronica (winona ryder) and JD(christian slater). As horrible movies starring Jennifer Love Hewitt seem to be in demand, I long for the days when films like Heathers, Better Off Dead, and Sixteen Candles took a twisted yet kind-hearted view at teen life instead of insulting it.

Biting, Brilliant

Author: anonymous from Canada
31 March 1999

"Heathers" should be considered as a classic. This very uncommon film is a delicious blend of a hilarious black comedy and a biting, cruel satire on adolescents. Enough with the John Hughe`s "sunny, gooey, optimistic teen flick", "Heathers" is a more like cynical but sadly realistic film on the dark side of adolescence. The film takes a look inside an Idaho high school called Westerberg High. It is ruled by a party of pate-eating, polo-playing b*tches who ruthlessly torment others to get their kicks. But an "outside" member of their clique, Veronica,(Winona Ryder)starts to feel sickened by their ways, and with the help of a mysterious but insane rebel, JD,she decides to teach the Heathers a lesson. Unfortunately, the "lesson" turns into an accidental murder, making Veronica and JD, the Bonnie and Clyde of the 80`s. In the tradition of the horror flim, "Carrie", "Heathers" depicts high school as a torture chamber for some, and a domain for others. "Heathers" itself is a total mocking of teenagers today, from the amazingly original and incisive dialogue, to the extreme but honest characters. On the surface, "Heathers" may seem colourful, but the plot gets blacker and blacker as the film unravels, it is hysterically funny too. The main message of this film is that today`s teenage society is dangerously edging extreme violence and destruction. I found the message to be expressed clearly, through the slits of this startling original and brilliant movie.

One of the Best Black Comedies Ever Made!

Author: Scudder-3 from Livonia, MI USA
19 February 1999

"Heathers" is a movie for anybody who has ever known the terror of trying to find a seat in a crowded, friendless high school cafeteria. It also is one of the most quotable movies of all time ("What's your damage!?"). Winona Ryder is terrific as the former everygirl ("Veronica") who sells her soul to join the popular girls and then decides she wants to buy it back.

The titular "Heathers" are the three reigning bitch goddesses of Westerburg High whose favorite pastime is torturing the unpopular kids. One early scene has the Heathers writing a fake mushy love note to popular jock. They forge a signature from an unpopular, heavy girl and send the note so they can watch her be humiliated by the jocks. Tell me you didn't know people just like them in high school.

This early scene is when Veronica starts to realize she's sold her soul to the devil. "It's like they're people I work with and our job is being popular," she laments. Enter a mysterious young man named J.D. (Christian Slater), who helps give her the courage to break away from her new clique. Unfortunately, J.D. is a bad influence of a different kind and Veronica's life quickly gets out of control.

"Heathers" is well-acted dark comedy that somehow manages to have something to say about teen suicide, homophobia, self-esteem, murder, and parenting without losing its razor sharp wit. See it, if for no other reason, than to hear Wynona Ryder yell at Shannen Doherty `Why are you such a mega-bitch?' and hear Shannen reply `Because I can be.'

You'd have to be a "Heather" to hate this film.

Author: snafooey
30 December 1998

This film completely blew me away when I saw it for the first time in a theatre in a suburb just outside of Toronto; I was thirteen and I had never seen anything so provocatively hilarious or as cleverly satirical. It immediately became one of my favourite films and I still believe that its lack of box-office success was in part due to the fact that it deals with issues people are often unwilling to discuss and pokes fun at characteristics that people may not necessarily want to recognize in themselves. My brother saw this film with his then girlfriend - she hated it so much, she walked out. I think that a lot of the satire in this film has either been misunderstood or lost on many people. It doesn't help that despite its status as a dark comedy satirizing teenaged angst, it has a tacked on Hollywood ending (the original ending supposedly had the entire school exploding, but that would have been too much for the distributors). Still, even with its surreal storyline and execution, this movie said more about what was going on in the Eighties than every John Hughes movie combined.

Quite possibly the best dark comedy ever made!!

Author: Adrian Thacker from Calgary, Alberta, Canada
26 October 1998

Quite possibly the best dark comedy ever made!! This movie has given me some of the best one-liner's and retorts that I have ever used. Winona Ryder AND Christian Slater together?? Who could ask for more? And can I just say that any movie where Shannen Doherty gets slapped in the face, deserves to be hailed as "a classic".

Mean girls

Author: jotix100 from New York
21 December 2005

"Heathers" was released way ahead of the disturbing school killings that have been at the front of the news in recent years. The film is an eye opener about what typical teen agers in high school face on a daily basis. Peer pressure, cliques, drugs, and other things make the lives of young students hell, when in reality it should be a happy time where they are prepared to face life later on.

Director Michael Lehmann, who seems to work mainly on television, showed tremendous courage to bring Daniel Walters' screen play into this black comedy about high schoolers. Mr. Lehmann shows an understanding for what makes people in high school be the way they are, what bothers them, and the rituals of passage they must experience in their young lives.

The three Heathers are found in lots of places. These misguided young women are basically control freaks as they demonstrate by dragging Veronica Sawyer to be the instrument of their meanness. Veronica, who is not as strong as her three friends, mainly goes along, although she hates them. These girls show a cruelty for those that are not into the same things they are. They hate everything and everybody; they are miserable and want to make everyone feel the same. In a way, the three Heathers are just cowards who find strength in numbers, as usually is the case with these type of people.

Veronica rebels from her three best friends when the psychotic J.D. enters her life. Little does Veronica know she leaves one situation to get into deeper waters with the menacing young creep who resolves everything with a gun. Veronica is made to go along with the punk J.D. in spite of knowing he has deeply rooted problems.

The young Wynona Ryder gave a great performance as Veronica. Together with Christian Slater, who is seen as J.D., she had one of the best opportunities of her career that got derailed recently because of her problems with the law. Shannen Doherty, Lianne Falk and Kim Walker are fine as the three Heathers.

The film serves as a reminder about what is basically wrong in our society.

The best teen movie ever made.

Author: spikethebloody from Hell
16 April 2005

It is rare to see a teen movie explore anything outside of the tragedy of not finding the right pair of shoes at the mall or the other trials and tribulations in the life of some suburbanite white kid. Heathers is that rare one that actually gets it right. It satirizes the superficial nature of teens and their ignorant self importance. It actually asks the audience to think and has a point other than some star crossed nerd and popular kid getting together. Yes, Heathers actually has a point! Something that is still revolutionary in the world of teen movies.

One of the first things you will find is the funny and inventive use of vulgarity. This movie is actually hip instead of trying to be hip. It is vulgarity that borders on Tarantino or Kevin Smith style dialogs. It also has Winona Ryder does a great job and the use of narrator voice over is well done and written. The true heart of the movie is still Slater though. He plays a ignored troubled teen who isn't abused or even an angry minority. That's right. No big reason behind his madness other than parents that just didn't love him. The quickness of everyone to embrace the easiest illusion around is just typical americana. If it isn't "outsourcing is good" it is "They hate us for our freedoms". The movie works so well because as a satire it has liberty to wonder out of reality but still be more real than most "serious" teen dramas. I'll tell you this much. Heathers is more realistic than "A Walk to Remember" or "She's All That".

As the movie progresses and JD reveals his murderous insane side most movies would instantly demonize him. They would have the female lead repelled and disgusted. Not Heathers. Keeping with the unconventional feel Winona's character just can't keep her hands off of JD even though she knows their murder spree is wrong and JD is never put into unlikable territory. In fact the terrible people surrounding him make the viewer sympathize with anyone that wants to slaughter them. The ending is just so brutally uncompromising that you have to applaud. We see the end of JD when he detonates bombs strapped to his body while the school is having a pep rally not a 100 yards away. No one cares and you know they won't care when they find out that he is dead. They'll just explain it away in a way that saves them from blame. Bitter, cynical, and always depressing? Not your typical teen movie and thank God for that.

Biting

Author: timefreezer7 from Greece
11 December 2003

Starring: Winona Ryder , Christian Slater , Kim Walker , Jennifer Rhodes and Shannen Doherty

A gem from the late 80's, Heathers is a brilliantly written indie film which not only managed to launch the careers of its stars, but will be forever remembered as a strong social satire and one of the finest examples of film-making and how many things you may accomplish with a witty and genuinely daring screenplay. Although the basic set is a high school, this movie appeals to all ages because the main theme is that cliques exist in every aspect of human life: business, sports, art, science etc,etc.

Veronica Sawyer (Winona Ryder) is the rookie in her "school's most powerful clique." Her 3 "friends" are all called Heather. They are snobbish and dislikeable. Heather Chandler (Kim Walker) is the leader and runs the school. Veronica is the newest member and she has doubts about her new lifestyle and the attitude she has to adopt. She has traces of guilt for abandoning her old best friend Betty Finn (Renee Estevez), a nerdy , geeky, sweet girl with glasses who (surprise!!) is still a virgin! Meanwhile a new student called Jason Dean (Christian Slater) comes to town. J.D. has changed about 5 schools in 3 different states because he can't fit in anywhere and as he says..."the only difference in these schools was the combination in my locker". J.D. and Veronica soon hit the sheets. J.D. is a rebel and convinces Veronica to acknowledge her hate for her "friends." After a fight with Heather Chandler, Veronica and J.D. set a prank for her but Heather accidentally ends up dead. The couple manages to cover it up as a suicide and gets away. But this is only the beginning for a chain of unusual and surrealistic events which lead to an explosive finale!!

Slater and Ryder give arguably the best performances of their careers and this helps. Ryder has a sweet face which is perfect. She is convincing as the disorientated teenager who is searching for her identity and although she has aristocratic looks she finds it hard to fit in with the snobbish manners her friends impose. Slater was also perfect playing his psychotic character with the proper innocence to make him look normal enough. The social subjects the film deals with are tremendous. First of all everyone of us has faced cliques in our schools and not necessarily snobbish rich girls. There are always teams of people who form a mafia-like group, are annoying to the bone, do nothing more than serve and protect their own interests and are on a constant conflict to pull the others down. They are so irritating and antipathetic that all of us have fantasies and dreams of them dying (sometimes preferably by our very own bare hands, namely STRANGLING them). Of course these people don't even remotely like each other but keep coiled up for their common interest. Shannen Doherty (playing an other member of the trio) at Heather's funeral thinks "Dear God, I had prayed for Heather to die many times, and although I know it was wrong, I kept doing it. And now that finally Heather is dead I know that...you understood...Pray Jesus! Alleluia!!! " This is a prime example of how rotten these cliques are. After Heather is buried Heather Duke (Doherty) pursues her chief status and becomes even bitchier!!

Veronica is an average girl which confronts the psychological dilemmas all of us have. What is the cost of being acceptable in your social environment? What does it take to be popular? Is it worth it when you end up not liking yourself and have to stick with friends you dislike? Actually the allegory is even deeper. Many times we don't show our real face to our friends and have to adopt another attitude. We never want to show our compassionate and sensitive side so our friends don't find us weak. We sometimes don't want to confide our unhappiness in order not to expose our vulnerable traits .This bold satire dares to depict with real power and not pretentious provocation what happens when a teenager's life and behavior is treated with silly Freudian terms and is put under the microscope instead of giving him / her what is really necessary; self-esteem and self acceptance.

The movie is filled with tragic yet simultaneously hilarious scenes (like the funerals) or lines. One example is after Heather's "suicide." The teachers council in her school tries to psychoanalyze her and the most interesting element they find in her suicide note (forged by Veronica) is the word "myriads." She failed to write it in a recent dictation test therefore this led her to self-destruction! In one class the teacher asks from her fellow mates to express their feelings over this sad departure. One guy easily says "I used to date Heather very briefly once. She left me because she said I was boring. But now...I know it wasn't my fault ...She just wasn't happy from her life." How convenient! Not only can a fact can be interpreted with various silly ways from various silly persons, but the tragic demise of a young individual made another one esteem himself more and overcome his rejection!! There are many other examples but I don't want to give away more spoilers.

I will have to warn you that the last 15 minutes are quite lame and disappointing. The plot breaks new limits of over-the-top campiness and we end up with an unnecessary duel scene. It doesn't matter. Heathers is a masterpiece that can be viewed over and over. If you like you may fast forward the last 15 minutes and go to the final ironic line of Veronica to Heather Duke. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!

Heathers 9 /10