IMDb > Halloween 5 (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Not my favorite Halloween flick

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
26 July 2005

Halloween 5, yeah, this was a disappointment, most fans don't really dig this sequel which is understandable. It is kind of stupid or just plain stupid; this is the story that most horror movie sequels try to rip off, the telepathic powers that get really annoying. It seems like every horror movie sequel has to have it, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street had it, why not include the Halloween franchise as well? Unfortunately I didn't get into it, I think because it was extremely unoriginal and not to mention that the story didn't really continue from the 4th sequel. The ending of Halloween 4 had Jamie turning evil, I guess they just totally dropped that idea which could have been great to see, instead we got a silly and typical horror story that was badly acted, edited, and directed.

Michael Myers makes his way into a small shack by the river owned by a local hermit. Once there, Michael collapses and remains in a comatose state for a full year. On October 30th Michael awakens, kills the hermit, and returns to terrorize Haddonfield, where his young niece, Jamie Lloyd continues to live after nearly being killed by Michael the year before. Jamie has been mute since attacking her foster mother at the end of film 4, but exhibits signs of a telepathic link with her evil uncle. Dr. Sam Loomis realizes that this link exists, and plans to use it to put an end to Michael's reign of terror. Michael begins stalking Rachel and her friend Tina. After both are killed Jamie agrees to put herself in danger to help Loomis stop Michael for good. With Jamie's help, Loomis lures Michael back to the old Myers house. Michael makes many attempts at killing Jamie, finally getting the chance to in the attic. Jamie tries appealing to Michael's humanity by calling him "Uncle". Myers pauses, prompting Jamie to ask to see his face. He takes off his mask, and a lone tear runs down his face. Jamie reaches up to wipe it away, and Michael is thrown into a rage. The killer pursues Jamie, who runs into Loomis. The doctor seems to turn on the girl as he shouts for Michael to come and take her. It turns out that he has used the girl as bait, thus leading Michael to walk beneath a heavy chain net. But you have to see what happens next by watching the movie.

While granted that this movie isn't the worst movie in the world, I do enjoy the Halloween sequels, I think this was a fall in the story line for the Halloween series. It really could have had a lot of potential, but since they dropped a few ideas that were presented in the previous Halloween sequel. Not to mention this is one of the rare times that I wasn't scared by Michael, he's loosing his touch… no, I can't say that, please I can't say that… it's the writing! It's the blasted writing! So if you wanna see the sequels, yeah, do watch it just to see the story continue, but if you are just looking for a scary movie in general, you can skip Halloween 5.

Apart from Pleasence, everyone in the film is just going through the motions.

Author: G.Spider
23 October 1999

When the original Halloween was made it was scary because of its gritty realism and believable characters. Part 2 was also an edge-of-seater. But by the time you reach this, Part 5, the tension has gone from the series and Michael Myers has descended from a believable shadow-stalking figure into an unkillable Jason 'Friday the 13th' Voorhees clone.

For what its worth, the plot of this film involves Myers coming after Jamie, who is now in a childrens' psychiatric hospital after attacking her stepmother. The concept of Jamie having a psychic bond with her deranged uncle is interesting, but it's all completely ruined by the constant unfunny attempts at humour, the tedious padding and the lack of likeable would-be victims. Instead of genuine characters all we have here are Porky-style sex-mad teenagers with nothing approaching an IQ between them. There's even a scene set in a barn similar to the one in some of the Friday the 13th films. And Rachel from Part 4 seems to have been reduced to a stereotype blonde airhead whose only purpose in the film is to run around half-naked before being slaughtered. And why does Myers' mask look nothing like the one he wore in the previous films?

One good point in this film is Donald Pleasence, who is at his best as an overwhelming Dr Loomis who dominates his every scene and makes the film worth viewing. There is also an enigmatic Man in the Black Fedora-type figure who leads the film into the far superior Part 6.

"I prayed that he would burn in hell. But in my heart, I knew that hell would not have him."

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
18 January 2010

No surprises that Michael Myers didn't actually die at the end of "Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers" in a blaze of gun fire, causing him to tumble down a cave and throwing in some dynamite to hopefully finish him off. Well that didn't work, as he barely escapes and finding himself floating down a river to be rescued by some old hermit who looks after him for a year to bring him back to health. Now it's close to Halloween again, Michael awakes to pay him back for his troubles. Myers gets back to his brutal business and heads back to Haddonfield with the intention of killing his niece Jamie. After the horrific ordeal of stabbing her step-mother, she's now at a children's hospital and left with the inability to speak but somehow shares a telepathic link with her uncle to know when he would kill. Dr. Loomis sees this in Jamie and tries everything to get her to use it so he can finally destroy Michael Myers.

"Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers" was one of the sequels that I wasn't to fond of when first watched it, but after continuous repeat viewings its slightly growing on me, nonetheless still it's not without its problems in what is an unsatisfying exercise. While a little more grittier being very misogynistic and graphic (which the previous sequel wasn't) with its deaths, it's run-of-the-mill formula fell on the dull, lumpy side with it being less punctuated with grinding suspense and moody atmosphere (as some of it takes place in full daylight) concentrating on visceral unpleasantness and plastered jump scares. This low-budget production feels like a rushed job, and the misguided, wishy washy script just doesn't cut it even with a decent concept for its basis and a few unsettling surprises that caught me off guard. However there are some odd out of character moments involving Michael (toying with his victims, driving after them in what I guess beats slowly walking after them and showing a glimpse of emotion is just to name a few), useless comic routine police officers with ridiculous sound effects backing them up and a cloudy inclusion of a man dressed in black that seems to be following Michael around. The performances are simply mediocre, however the like of Danielle Harris radiates again and Ellie Cornell proves how much of a bold talent she is with a terrifically wholesome turn. Donald Pleasance looks ragged, but he passionately camps it up (with some morbid streaks) to show the obsessive strangle hold Myers has over Loomis' personally and mentally. As now he would do anything to get his man, even risking the life of Jamie to do so. Outside these three, there's not much else. I didn't find the teens here as agreeably likable. Dominique Othenin-Girard's direction is competent, but generically flat with little visual styling (which was an imprint of "Return") and few intensity filled pockets of shocks, which you only wished it could hold it throughout. Still Michael is used unnervingly as a foreshadow within the background of many shots and it always seems to work as he could be lurking anywhere. Also the creative novelty of the film's opening credits is a nice touch.

It's more of the same, but an watchable pedestrian slasher blanketed with shocks.

Actually, I liked it . . .

Author: jaywolfenstien from USA
2 December 2003

Sure, they wasted their one chance to change the direction of the Halloween series (the right way). The year long coma is BS, yes, indeed. Sure, the psychic connection between Jamie and Michael is a little goofy, ill-explained, beyond the scope of a Halloween movie, and exists for no real reason, and yes, other people wearing a mask similar to Michael and pretending to be Michael is getting old (not to mention predictable.) The mask doesn't resemble any of the previous masks really, the Myers house had an inexplicable make-over . . . I could keep these complaints rolling for some time (don't even get me started on the man in black), but despite all my reasons to not like this film . . . I prefer it over #4.

I found Halloween 5 to be strangely fun, which horror tends to be when you stop caring for the cast. While I like Danielle Harris and Donald Pleasance in the leads, most of the supporting characters I didn't really like at all, so when Myers starts the party rolling I'm rooting for team Thorn. And this time around, Miky proves he has a dark sense of humor. I especially like his choice in masks in Halloween 5 . . .

But is it scary? No, but there are a few genuine intense moments towards the end as Michael inevitably runs out of victims and closes in on the stars. I liked all the chases involving Danielle Harris and confrontations between Donald Pleasence and evil personified . . . even if said confrontations are on the silly side.

Speaking of Harris, despite her character not being able to talk in the script, she manages to rise far above the material and actually pull it off. Or in other words, while her character was written by a hack and sloppily thrown together, she works wonders with the very little she's given. It makes me really wish she got writing worthy of her performance, but like a professional, she makes the best of it . . . and to think the studio wouldn't let her reprise her role after this? A slap to the face after an insult . . . oy.

I remember reading on the VHS box of Halloween 5 the exclamation, `Michael finally unmasked!' And couldn't help but chuckle as I recalled him being mask-less at least once in every Myers-inclusive Halloween until this film. Granted, this is the first time he, himself, takes it off. Oh well.

As for the film's ending, I can't forgive because it lead to the atrocity known as Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers which felt Halloween 5 was extremely flawed but still fun . . . so it set out to make a sequel that was all flaw and no fun . . . or something.

The town's infamous bad boy returns home.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
26 October 2002

More or less a disappointing continuance of the Halloween saga. It has been a year since Michael Myers somehow survived massive gunfire and falling down a mine shaft. Upon healing his wounds he once again returns home to seek out his niece Jamie(Danielle Harris), who now herself is hospitalized and telepathic...knowing when the slasher is about to attack. Donald Pleasence, Ellie Cornell and Beau Starr reprise their previous roles. Also notable are Wendy Kaplan and Tamara Glynn. It is hard to tell if there are more squeals than thrills. My main complaint is they kill off Rachel(Cornell)way too quickly. Miss Harris is left with the most serious acting and does very well. This time it is Don Shanks playing the maniacal white masked menace. The finale is quite brutal, but is it brutal enough?

Awful in pretty much every way imaginable

Author: Polaris_DiB from United States
4 May 2007

Ho boy, where to begin? At this point in the series, Dr. Loomis has become abusive, the characters are all hateful, Michael's slipping, and the scripts are making even less sense.

We begin right where we left off from Halloween 4, a la Halloween I and II: Michael escapes from the mine shaft, crawls to safety, and gets nursed back to health by some random bum with a parrot. One year later and with a lot more energy, his immediate action once he's able to move is to off the bum and head back to town, hoping to hunt down his niece who now has a psychic connection with him. A troop of teenagers are introduced, and the movie promises carnage. Sort of.

This movie is bad. By bad I mean incompetent on pretty much every level. In horror movies, part of the delight and part of the terror is the fact that the teenagers die, but one character at least we hope will live. Not so in this one. Every single character is a hateful, stereotypical 80s idea of idiocy, and Michael's carnage can't come soon enough. This storytelling is backed up by probably some of the worst editing and directing I've ever seen, as characters move sporadically through jump cuts to... well, they don't really do much of anything, except ignore the warnings of a traumatized little child with a psychic connection to a serial killer. That role is given over to Donald Pleasence's Dr. Loomis, who somehow still has a practice and still is listened to, despite the fact that at this point he breaks about every rule of clinical ethics and the fact that he's an obnoxious jerk.

Breaks every rule... that's what this movie does. This movie is so unable to bring actual horror, suspense, or gory delights to the fore that it literally just bumbles around hoping for something to photograph until Michael comes around, and then the storyline and directing are so incompetent they can't even make Michael seem cool. The scenes in the barn are pretty much must-see for film students who want to know exactly what NOT to do. And then, as if it's not enough, the movie has the audacity to introduce a new character for the sole purpose of letting Michael out of prison... who he is, what he's there for, what he knows, even if it's a he... there's no explanation. They literally wrote a character into the script because they were too lazy to know how to end this movie. That's like THE single basic screenplay no-no.

Of course, there's always room for camp, but camp only works when the film goes in outrageous directions and does things creative and fun. This movie isn't even creative enough to come up with crazy, out-there ideas like Halloween 3, it just lazily serves the tropes of its genre without even the craft and skill required to make a successful continuity cut! By the time this movie ends, you will feel frustrated, bored, betrayed, and uninterested. While this movie plays, you will wish for every character to die just so that you no longer have to watch their stupid, mindless antics, and you will regret renting (or buying) the disc. Halloween 5 isn't even worth the plastic it's printed on, and that's bad considering how cheap it is to put things on DVD.

--PolarisDiB

The Most Agreeably Nutty of Any of the Sequels

Author: clopton from United States
5 November 2013

After the original, "Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers" is my favorite of the series. This is an unpopular opinion. Part five is frequently considered the worse of the series. It's certainly not a good film in any traditional sense. The script feels rushed and half-formed. The relatively likable Rachel from the previous sequel is quickly killed to make way for Tina, a deeply unlikable final girl. Tina abandons Jaime to go see her jerk boyfriend, her most egregious sin. The previous ending is largely ignored. The movie attempts to forge some sort of mythology around the Myers character, hinting at the Curse of Thorn and all that other nonsense we'd get in part six. The biggest plot hole, for me anyway, is that we see Michael's face and it isn't burnt to a crisp. Maybe the Shape has a healing factor? The point is, yes, from any sort of objective perspective, "Halloween 5" isn't that good a film.

Which has little to do with my enjoyment of it. "Revenge" is, by far, the most agreeably nutty of any of the sequels. There are so many bizarre choices here. Either production was quickly rushed or the director was going for intentional camp. Exhibit A: The comic relief cops which are introduced with honking, clown shoes music. I love the hermit and his screeching parrot that takes Michael in for a year. Did the Shape spend a whole year passed out in a hobo's hobble? Imagine the fan-fiction that's been written about that. Michael spends an extended amount of time driving a teenage girl around and letting her kiss all over him. Considering he murdered her anachronistic greaser boyfriend, maybe the Shape was horny. The whole Man in Black business is, of course, utter nonsense. But it's likable utter nonsense. No wacky element is more endearing then Donald Pleasence completely sloshed performance as Dr. Loomis. He pushes the character as far as he can this time, pulling a gun on a cop, using innocent Jamie as bait, getting all up in her grill. I absolutely love it.

Rewatching the film this time, I realized another reason I enjoy it so much. Most of the other sequels attempt to recapture Carpenter's magic. This one, on the other hand, goes for blatant exploitation. It's the "Halloween" version of a "Friday the 13th" film. The sex is sexier, the gore is gorier. The teens run off for a raunchy Halloween party, even though you'd think the holiday would be verboten in Haddonfield at this point. The one-note supporting characters, the slasher fodder, are far more broad, playing goofy pranks. Michael Myers has basically been transformed into Jason at this point, impaling a rutting couple and using multiple weapons. The most blatant Jason element is when Jaime reaches Michael's human side, a scene blatantly swiped from "Friday the 13th Part II." It's horribly out of character for Myers, of course. He has no human side at all! Don't care. "Part 5" delivers the trashy thrills you expect from the fourth sequel in a horror series.

The movie is questionable, sure, but I honestly think some elements are very strong. Of all the sequels, this one most captures the autumn spirit to me. The pumpkin carving opening is fantastic. The direction is very strong, the nights thick and black. There are even some genuine thrills. Jaime being stalked by her uncle spirit through the hospital is great. The car chase scene works very well. The laundry chute creates claustrophobic tension. Dr. Loomis delivers another monologue, in which he establishes an inner rage as Michael's motivation. That's as good an explanation as any, says I. Surely I can't be the only one who loves this movie? I perfectly understand why some folks dislike it. By the same accord, I believe its underrated. Not to mention enjoyably goofy.

Not bad sequel!

Author: John Lindsey from Albuquerque New Mexico
25 October 2008

A year after the last one, Jamie Lloyd (Danielle Harris) has been put to a children's clinic after the traumatic events of last Halloween. What the doctors don't know is that she has a psychic link with her uncle Michael whom was presume dead but actually survived. He returns back to his hunting ground known as Haddonfield where he kills again and searches for his niece, Dr. Sam Loomis (Donald Pleasance) returns as well to save her life and confront the hellish phantom.

Some say this is one of the worst Halloween sequels ever with part 3, Resurrection and "Curse of Michael Myers". But i think this was quite a decent and mindless sequel of the franchise even though Michael's mask looks kind of bad in this one compared to the ones in the original, part 2, 4 and H2O or Rob Zombie's remake. The splatter effects by KNB Ex and the storyline isn't too bad, while it's not up to the standards of the series it's still a fine entry.

Classic Series

Author: (curatorfilm@webtv.net) from Chicago
29 October 2002

1, 2, and 4 were the best. 5 is also good regardless of the comments. The little girl is perhaps the best of all screen horror children surpassing Poltergeist and Linda blair in the Exorcist.

Donald Pleasence is one of the great actors of all time adding incredible class to the series. He is in the league of Peter Cushing and Cristopher Lee. A true great in which the series is meaningless without him.

Halloween 5 spends too much time on teenyboppers with a little too much stuff borrowed from Friday the 13th with silly teen lust combined with slasher stuff. But this film excells when it cuts to the real story of Meyers chasing the girl and the doctor's relentless pursuit. Thank goodness it refrains from too much extreme gore ad special effects which has hurt horror so much in maby other films.

Meyers here is madder than usual and more hyper. He also commits some murders that make him a truly hated figure to me. Spoiler: At the end I wished there would have been another quick sequel and really wanted to know what would happen especially to the little girl and the doctor. I know that there would not be another Halloween for 8 years so I do not really know. I have not seen 6 yet but I fear 8 years is too long to remain relevant to the little girl's story.

4 and 5 makes you really want to meet the doctor and the little girl as if they were real people. Perhaps that is the most haunting thing in the series. Now that Pleasance has really died one can only wonder that movies can in some ways can be far more than movies.

One of the best sequels to Halloween

Author: Rautus from United Kingdom
17 February 2007

Halloween 5 is slightly better than Halloween 4 in the fact that we see a bit more of Micheal and we get a few more gory killing scenes like with the scissors.

The movie uses some more creepy scenes like in the barn house and the Myers house, it may not look the same as the first but it's still creepy.

The other scene is the car chase where Micheal is driving after Jamie with the theme music playing that always creeps me out.

The Man in Black was another interesting character but sadly we don't enough of him or learn his story until Halloween 6 when his character is revealed, also that symbol that is on Micheal and the Man In Black is also revealed in part 6.

A good sequel to the Halloween franchise.

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]