IMDb > Gleaming the Cube (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Gleaming the Cube More at IMDbPro »

Perfect Late '80s Skater film

Author: Me Grimlock from Seattle, WA
17 July 2002

Ok I know this film is old, but who cares? Let's get that out of the way, it's old it's old it's old. I don't care if it's old. I was 13 1/2 when this movie came out, and I know a lot of people even my age (27) would consider this a dated "old school" movie, but like I said, I don't care, it's still fun.

I was a middle school skater in the very late '80s, and this film brings back great memories. Ok the fashions got old by like 1991, but again who cares? Forget the fashions and just concentrate on the skateboard stunts, they'll blow you away. Legendary skater Tony Hawk is in this film, and everyone who was or is a skater knows how valuable Hawk was to skateboarding. These days I see a lot of teenagers skateboarding in parking lots and malls, it seems the trend has come back since being dormant since 1990. Even though the skating fad died down then, I was still skating as a teenager into around 1995. It was uncool to be a 19 or 20 year old skating back in the heyday of grunge, but once a skater, always a skater. Many times when I see these kids skating today, I want to haul my old 27 year old butt out there and show them how us 13 and 14 year olds did it back in 1989.

The best the 80's had to offer

Author: Jeff from San Jose, California
21 July 2001

What a sweet movie. This movie just about wraps up the "rad" pop culture of the 1980's, and puts it into one film. The skateboarding is incredible, and it features Tony Hawk who developed into the #1 skater in the world. While this movie might not be realistic, it made me laugh all the way through. The best scene by far involves Tony Hawk and a Pizza Hut truck. Enjoy this movie and remember the 80's.

Cold War Skate Movie

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
10 March 2004

I love Gleaming the Cube, with the exception of the coyingly senitmental dialogue going on and some of the forced grief by Slater. It's a pretty cool 80s action movie for skaters.

A kid mysteriously winds up dead after he goes poking his nose into questionable problems with shipping orders for the Vietnamese Relief. The cops say all signs point to suicide (or at least they're not conclusive of any other cause of death), but his skater brother is determined to prove that he was murdered. Gleaming the Cube, as Brian's (Slater) friend Yabbo (Perlich) explains, is about finding your place. A soul searching that is bound by no rules and standards, in other words. It's actually a pretty fun, if not different, story involving athletes, nevermind skaters. Although, I'm pretty sick of the super-patriotic themes. Plus, you have a few of the Bones Brigade cast in the main role (actually only Tony Hawk and Tommy Guerrero get lead parts) while the rest of the Bones Brigade took up stunt parts (Cabby and Rodney Mullen, most noteably). Plus, you have a pretty rad soundtrack, and Christian Slater and Max Perlich make believable teenagers, and entertaining ones at that (rather than obnoxious or totally stupid). Skaters saving the day? What could be better?

The music, the story, and the actors, it's a score! It's one of my favorite skating movies and certainly one of my favorite 80s movies.

A fun stupid film

Author: FilmStalker from Tucson, AZ
3 February 2004

This is the story of a young confused high school punk who loses his adopted Vietnamese brother to a couple of gun runners. What is he to do? Well he could figure out who these people are and when he's frustrated, he could just skateboard while he's pissed. To lighten things up, he could hit on his dead brothers girlfriend.

There are many famous skaters who lent their abilities to this film. This does rank above the break dancing movies ('Breakin'')and the evil dancing movies ('Footloose' and 'Dirty Dancing') of the eighties, but I don't think it comes close to bike movies ('Rad' and 'The Dirtbike Kid')

whoa, this is simply the coolest. skate or die man!

Author: Andras_J from South Shield
2 January 2002

It doesn't get any cooler than this. This is the best skate boarding movie ever. There are some really impressive scenes and the movie totally rocks. Its a bit old school now, but so what? It just adds charactor and proves that it doesn't matter how advanced technology gets, they don't make gems like this anymore. yep, they sure as hell don't! Check out Christian Slaters hair! Its awesome. And so's this movie. Heh, Sorry to sound like a air headed boy of 13. The only thing I would ever slamm this movie for was some of the acting. Christian Slater is cool, but there were some weak performances by others. This doesn't effect the movie on bit though! Hey, and it has Tony Hawk in it. The man! Need I say anymore?

2 very enthusiastic thumbs up, 10 out of 10

I love the 80's

Author: gregantrim1977 from United States
18 November 2006

I love this movie!

It's got a plot, good skating, and its entertaining.

What more could you ask for.

It is just your typical 80's movie and personally, I think those are the best kind.

If you don't like it, maybe you should try suspending disbelief.

That usually works for me.

My recommendation...

Check it out if you need something to do late at night and you're tired of watching all of the normal blockbusters that come out these days.

Pastiche of skateboarding, murder, romance and action has soul

Author: msroz from United States
9 July 2013

You don't need to be of the 80s generation or an 80s lover to like this movie. I'm 72 and I like it. Christian Slater and his buddies do such a nice job portraying smart but good kids who don't fit into the rigid system. Good for them! So they're middle class and well off, so what. They're loyal to one another and they're not a violent gang.

The skateboarding is fantastic.

The action chase at the end is a darn good one.

The strange thing is that it's a murder story and a detective story, which is why it appears on some neo-noir lists.

The movie actually has some soul in its own way.

Great 80s film, nothing amazing, but certainly competent in what it does, and not many films like it

Author: Dariunas from Luton, England
24 April 2005

One of the first films of its kind that I had seen and is still really entertaining, after I hunted it down on DVD and watched for the first time last night for years. I like the portrayal of the skater guys. It frames their attitude nicely.

Slater's 'I miss you' speech was pretty cringing for me, but apart from that, the film carries itself really well without trying to take itself too seriously, and it comes off better for it.

The Corvette guy was a terrible addition in many ways, but despite being so bad, it was hilarious. One of those scenes where you'd say 'who would do that???' and then... 'who would carry on doing that after this?'... you'll see what I mean...

classic!

Author: less_than_roger from Glasgow, Scotland
30 June 2004

this movie is great, if you like skating you will love it. if you like mad effects from an 80s movie you will love it. if you like Slater you will indeed love it!!!

it is a good movie with a very bizarre story but it works well and is a great feel good movie. the story is about Slaters brother getting killed when he finds out some imformation about his work that he shouldnt know. Slater takes it in to his own hands to find out why his bro was killed and in the process finds out serous stuff.

Must see, one of slaters classics!!!!

8 out of 10

skateboarding international crime drama

Author: SnoopyStyle
23 April 2016

Brian Kelly (Christian Slater) has his group of skateboarding friends in Orange County. His adopted brother Vinh is the star of the family. Vinh works for Colonel Trac at the Vietnamese Anti-Communist Relief Fund which supposedly is sending medical supplies to Vietnam. He's also going out with Colonel Trac's daughter Tina. Vinh gets fired after uncovering suspicious invoices. He sneaks into the VACRF warehouse and is taken by the head of the operation Ed Lawndale. It spirals out of control and Vinh is killed. The police puts it down to suicide. Brian knows better and investigates. After witnessing a killing, he goes to police detective Al Lucero for help.

It's weird that a skateboarding film turns into a crime drama with a Vietnamese flavor. These things don't mix easily. In a skateboarding movie, one would like lighter fare. It would concentrate on the skateboarding. This is more like a crime drama from a TV show. Graeme Clifford is more of a TV director. The story is trying to be smart but it's really only B-movie quality. Slater has his teenager swagger. It's got a nice cult movie feel.