IMDb > Ginger Ale Afternoon (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Ginger Ale Afternoon More at IMDbPro »

Yeardley Smith Steals the Show

Author: Ddey65 from United States
23 January 2004

To the second commentator; FYI, Yeardley Smith is far from dead. Second, to everyone else, she makes the movie what it is by both being the other woman, and posing nude at a time when she was still playing teenagers and pre-teens. The biggest problem is, she's the only interesting character out of all the three...four if you count the local DJ. And it isn't until her appearance midway through the movie that it loses whatever made it so lame, annoying, and dull. The first half of the movie consists of nothing but a stupid trailer park couple sniping at each other. Bitch, Bitch, Bitch! I pity their child, who's about to be born after the movie ends. If you're willing to sit through this malarkey before seeing a naked Yeardley Smith, this is the movie for you.

Yeardley Smith gets topless, 'nuff said...

Author: slouchingpoet from USA
9 June 2005

The movie is pretty terrible with an anecdote-sized premise, but Yeardley Smith shines.

Jesse and Hank Mickers waste away life in a trailer park bickering over Hank's infidelity which he blames on the pressure placed up the marriage by Jese's pregnancy. This would make a great setup, but unfortunately this is most of the movie. The grand payoff (he said sarcastically) comes when Jesse and Bonnie - the other woman and neighbor - make peace with their relationship. Jesse goes into labor and Bonnie comes to the rescue.

Its a small film and good for what it is. And as a fan of Yeardley Smith (aka Lisa Simpson) I'm almost tempted to give it a rating of ten for her all too brief nude scene. Its a shame she hasn't done more work because she's a lovely and charismatic actress. Compared to her other work from this period (Maximum Overdrive, Legend of Billie Jean) this movie is the best showcase for her talent. And she gets naked... did I mention that?

Great Movie, PLUS!

Author: obcean from United States
18 October 2009

I did enjoy this movie and yes it's a great date movie. The sound track is great (Willie Dixon)which was nominated for a Grammy! It's a story of a man and his pregnant wife, played by Dana Anderson living in a trailer park. The wife discovers that the husband has been spending time with their young neighbor (Yeardley Smith). It does have one scene that sets it apart from all others. YEARDLEY SMITH (voice of Lisa Simpson) is shown nude. this is the ONLY nude scene she has ever done. When I saw it, I was SHOCKED! Although the movie was enjoyable, it was edged in my memory because I discovered that Yeardley (always in homely roles) is actually quite attractive! I've never seen her the same away again, meow!

Accurate Example of Life in a Trailer Park

Author: Jeff C from Indiana
15 September 2008

It's been several years since I've watched this movie. I have the VHS somewhere; I don't believe it has ever been available on DVD. I agree with several of the previous user comments. The film started out as one of those "I'll never make it to the end of this" kind of shows, but by the end, you realize that you were actually entertained. I recall the movie sneaking into my thoughts for weeks after watching it. With such a small cast and single location, it does feel like theater caught on film. Of course, I must agree that Yeardley Smith's nude scene is a real highlight of this show. Watch this movie without expectation and I believe by the end, you'll be glad you did.

Watch this film

Author: fred soffa from USA
12 March 2005

A minor classic. A picaresque. A romantic comedy with people you'll like. Theater - made into a film, seamlessly. Nicely structured.

The first shot is brilliant. The verdant green, a pan, and then, what's this? The intrusion of civilization? And the shot plays on to it's logical conclusion, kicking off the film perfectly.

Alright they want more, but the poetry of the first shot must remain with the film, and not the reviewer. The acting throughout is the high professional standards we come to expect. Production wise, fairly good maximization of a very limited budget, which of course both ties into and rationalizes the minimal sets and moving around - like Hurlyburly, this is a one location flick.

10 on a get laid date movie. Saw it theatrically, do not know if it is out on DVD

maybe it played better on stage, but I doubt it

Author: Michael Neumann from United States
22 November 2010

Rule of thumb: if it sounds like a play it should also look like a play, which is why this two-character, one-act drama doesn't work on screen in the same way it might on stage. The setting is a grubby trailer park, where a bitter young couple (Jesse is pregnant; Hank is resentful) bicker and fight in generic Southern accents for 84 minutes, until Jesse goes into labor. A third character (Hank's teenage mistress) is brought in to stretch the film's running time to feature length and to add yet more meaningful, angry dialogue, little of which has any credibility because it was written for the theater, and simply transferring the play to an actual trailer park doesn't make it sound any less contrived. Even worse, the film demands a lot of sympathy for a spiteful, infantile, philandering jerk of a husband, and for a wife who in the end promises to honor and obey him, no matter how abusive he may get, so long as he touches her in that special way that brings her closer to God.