IMDb > Field of Dreams (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 30: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Comments on the movie

Author: slipbizkit19
1 December 2000

A touching movie about a young mans youth and his relationship with his father and how he overlooked what he had. I related to it with strong memories of my youth and that I also lost my dad when I was young.

Wonderful film

Author: cubiegirl from Springfield, IL
22 October 2000

I have seen this movie countless times and it sill makes me cry every time Ray says "Hey Dad, wanna have a catch?" Other than that moment, it's a wonderful film with a great cast. Costner did his best work, IMO, with this film. Madigan is great as Anni, James Earl Jones pulls off the role of Terence Mann to perfection. Liotta is wonderful as Shoeless Joe and Lancaster gives one of his best performances as Moonlight Graham.

I highly, highly, highly recommend you go out and BUY this movie. It's great to see it on Cable once in a while, but it's even better when you can see it on an everyday basis in the comfort of your own home

Powerful and emotionally compelling movie

Author: kaila1949 (kaila1949@hotmail.com) from Tucson, Arizona
22 September 2000

This movie seems to offer something on a level that goes beyond the specifics of plot and character. It makes a connection, somehow, on a very deep emotional plane - down where the feelings are not necessarily available to be influenced by rational thought.

I also think it works on a more mundane level as a great baseball movie, with interesting plot twists and some incredibly funny lines.

Even after all this time, Field of Dreams still exerts a very strong pull.

Much more than just baseball.

Author: emmetmorris from Brisbane, Australia
4 September 2000

Understandably, 'Field of Dreams' will appeal to many a fan of baseball, as this sport is the backbone of this beautiful film. After viewing it I'm sure that everybody would understand that it is so much more. This film builds upon second chances, it is about hope. Beautifully written and directed, this film really shines with outstanding performances by Kevin Costner, Ray Liotta and James Earl Jones. A film to be enjoyed by all.

"...Maybe this is Heaven ."

Author: CoolBrz from Nueva York
17 July 2000

This movie comes pretty close to movie heaven....!

It also Proves that classic motion pictures can still be made without sex, violence or even harsh language.

Definately one of the best movies of the eighties.

Narrowly beats out Bull Durham as the best Costner baseball movie.

Arguably one of the best movies of all time.

Author: thyde from Little Rock, Arkansas
9 July 2000

Baseball is in my blood, and this movie moves me every time I see it. For someone who understands what the game of baseball truly stands for and what it means to play catch with your father and have that be a religious experience, Field of Dreams is much more than a "feel good" movie. Phil Alden Robinson's adapted screenplay is hands down the best ever written, and it connected with me in a way that no other movie has. There is something in the eyes of the actors, and something in the camera, as if you can feel Robinson vicariously, that tells the audience that they are watching a film that has the opportunity to change their lives. I have never found another movie that has made me feel this way. This movie can be fun, and can be so deep if the viewer will let it. I am sure that most people do not view this film in the same manner as I, but there can not be anyone who would see this film and not enjoy it, even on the surface level. I don't know why I'm leaving this summary, I just seemed compelled. I love movies, and I have an extensive collection of my "favorites" but, Field of Dreams is and always will be the only film that gives me a complete feeling of wholeness. I hope someone out there can enjoy Field of Dreams as much as me, and if not, I hope my feelings are understood. There is a film to everyone that creates the same emotion that Field of Dreams creates for me. This is my brief passage for my favorite movie, and I hope everyone who reads this will do the same for theirs.

Pure Magic

Author: Evan Faulkner from Clovis, Ca (USA)
23 December 1999

FIELD OF DREAMS is a magical and enchanting film. it treats baseball like religion, and rightly so. Burt Lancaster really shines in one of his last films. In fact, all the actors shine, and so does the script. I seldom cry during movies, but I did during the end. It made me feel like a kid again, and I'm only 17!

A truly beautiful film

Author: Matt Willis from Middlesbrough, England
2 December 1999

Yep, if the term 'beautiful' could be used to describe any film it would be this one. Costner and Jones especially give great performances in what is essentially an ensemble piece but Amy Madigan also performs with strength and grace, quite uncommon for female 'wives/girlfriends' of the time. It's just a great little story about a guy who does the crazy thing of plowing up his crops to build a baseball field because voices in his head have told him so. As the film goes along more and more people are drawn to it and start to believe that the best stars of the past have somehow come back from heaven to once again knock a few balls around. I know that when a film gives me a tingly feeling each time another character falls under the 'illusions' spell that I'm on to a great thing. And I am. I love this film, and I'm not American and I don't like Baseball. They could remake this with any sport from any era and it would still be wonderful. I know I'll get a lot of stick from this but I agree, if you don't cry at this film then you aren't really a man. You feel Costner's pain when he discusses his father and their reunion at the end is the finest piece of male bonding ever committed to celluloid. I won't spoil the very end but it has to be seen to be believed, astonishing is the only way to describe it. This is easily the best movie about sports ever, though it's more than that. A perfect ten.

For those who've lost their dad...

Author: Drewboy-2
20 December 1998

This film is a wonderful catharsis! I cried non-stop the last ten minutes - and am happy I did! It's freeing. Guys - get this movie!

Squeeze Play

Author: Bill Slocum (bill.slocum@gmail.com) from Greenwich, CT United States
28 August 2010

"Field Of Dreams" is a clumsy, mawkish movie I'd dislike less if it didn't press its touchy-feely points so hard.

Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) is out in his Iowa cornfield when he hears a voice telling him "If you build it, he will come." He knows what this means and levels much of his desperately-needed corn crop to create a baseball diamond. Soon a long-dead baseball player with a stained past arrives to hit a few with Ray. But Ray's journey is only beginning...

Fantasy is not a genre where everything is supposed to make sense; you have to allow for some room to wonder. "Field Of Dreams" has a killer concept that it springs on you in the first minute. That famous mystical maxim, "If you build it, he will come" is actually heard in the movie before anyone else says a line of dialogue. It then dials in to make an overarching statement about baseball, suggesting that a love of the game can restore the innocence of a broken nation, and a connection with a departed father.

The result is a film people either love, hate, or feel totally indifferent about. I used to love this film, but feel indifferent to it now. For me, some admittedly positive sentiment is worn down by iffy dialogue, protracted "big scenes", and a couple of weak central performances.

Costner is so wrong for his role it defies imagination. "I am the least crazy person I've ever known," he says, and it's true. He's so level-headed and quiet it's hard to accept the notion of his Kinsella character throwing over his life to a voice in the wind. He drives all the way to Boston, risking his farm, to beg reclusive author Terence Mann (James Earl Jones) to come with him to a ball game, acting the whole time more sheepish than zealous about the whole thing.

Amy Madigan's performance as Ray's wife Annie suffers from a terminal case of the cutes, partly a fault of the atrocious dialogue ("What if the voice calls when you're gone?") but also from her tendency to mug in every scene. The film seems to suffer from a similar problem. When Ray tells a shopful of skeptical farmers about the voice, the radio is playing "Crazy". When we see him leveling the crop to build the field, the camera cuts to neighbors parked in cars three-deep watching him and rhubarbing lines like "I can't believe it".

The movie is never exactly bad. It moves fast and scores its emotional points, however thickly. John Lindley's camera maximizes the impact of skyscapes and corn fields. James Earl Jones carves out a crafty role for himself as Mann. We are told early on how very, very important a writer Mann is back in the 1960s (he even coined the phrase "Make Love, Not War", Annie announces at one point, which I guess is supposed to show his Pulitzer-winning genius at work), yet Jones makes his strongest impression drawing smart laughs in a film that badly needs them.

Writer-director Phil Alden Robinson seems to want to present baseball as a worthy substitute for conventional religious belief (twice we hear the Q&A "Is this Heaven?/No, it's Iowa.") but the film's theology seems pretty hollow at its core. Baseball is a fun sport, okay, but is hanging around playing pepper with a bunch of dead All-Stars the best an afterlife can offer? Is the Field's ultimate function that of a self-funding tourist trap drawing pocket money from nostalgic baby boomers wanting to see the players their grandparents grew up with?

"Field Of Dreams" once moved me a good deal, but doesn't score so well anymore. It squeezes too hard and offers too little.