IMDb > Field of Dreams (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 32: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Grand Slam!

Author: revere-7 from the heartland
26 October 2009

Let's talk about endings here for a moment (don't worry there's no spoilers here) - every minute of a film is building toward an ending, but so often films mess up all the great story they've built up in the last few minutes.

That's why I want to draw your attention to 'Field of Dreams'. I'm sure by now we're all familiar with the premise - an Iowa farmer hears a disembodied voice that says, "If you build it he will come", which in turn leads him to plow under his cornfield to build a full baseball diamond.

Many people have talked about the themes explored by this movie (and there are many - family, redemption, pursuit of dreams, etc.), or the very believable characters. All of that is great.

But what I especially appreciated about this film was the ending. Everything builds up to it, and like so many things in the film, it ends on a perfect, serene note. It would have been so easy to tack on an extra scene or two; so tempting to tie everything up with a nice bow; belabor the point; but one single shot sums everything up and fades to credits.

A crash lesson in endings done right.

The immersive aspect of films like this.

Author: Peter Hack from Blandford Forum Dorset England
14 August 2009

Firstly, I should say that I'm over sixty and have seen Field of Dreams only recently mainly because I've been taking a closer interest in baseball over the past five years. My first reaction to the film after seeing it almost by accident was to regret that I hadn't walked out on my father when I was in my youth. I noted the relationship reconciliation which the Kevin Costner character achieved with his father but I remained at a distance from it. I have now purchased the DVD and will be watching it again I am sure. I know that the film will reveal different shades as I watch it again. Who knows? I could very likely appreciate it in a different way. As immersive films go, this must be in the top half dozen. Certainly on a par with ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE.

~wow~

Author: phantom-129 from United States
28 January 2007

This movie was inspirational and is worthy of seeing a million times.. I really liked it and would see it again to get the full meaning across... I wanted to let anyone know that they should go see it and that it was worth watching a million times!!! I also wanted Rachael to know that I missed her in the watching of this movie. I loved it and that I would see it more. This is a movie worth seeing with your family and friends, and that kids would even get the meaning of this movie. It is related to baseball, and even though some men don't like movies that relate to angels, this movie is for them to... it has baseball, angels and plain excitement!!

impressions

Author: rleonard-3 from United States
30 April 2006

There are certain images, apparitions, that enter our lives at an early age. To coin an oft used phrase, "like a dream vaguely remembered", there exists in early childhood, impressions of hope that may evolve into faith. This movie throws out so many vague impressions that it cannot be compared to a typical Hollywood movie or even an epic summary of history. It is a collection of vignettes well directed that forces a person to reflect on things not remembered well or memories of the past that may never be resolved. To me, the story revolves around Ray's inability to "get over" his conflict with his father. The film ends on a happy note, but i think the director got it right when Ray asks his father if he wants to have a catch. At this point in the film, Ray still doesn't really know if that will happen, but hopes that it will. When his father eagerly says yes, the evolution of hope into faith is complete.

The film reminds me of many events in my life. I am a musician, and I do an arrangement of Biff Rose's "Molly" that constantly evolves. After watching the film, I was reminded of another song on Rose's album (The Thorn in Mrs. Roses' Side) called "What's Gnawing At Me" that describes the human condition of unfulfillment. Find it if you can. Circa 1967

For me, the best scene in the movie takes place in the bar where Terence is interviewing the old man who tells him the story of Alicia's hats that the Doc never had a chance to give her. It made such an impression on me that I think of it at the strangest times, like a song I cannot get out of my head.

Just bought the DVD...

Author: Sandcastling Guy from Palm Bay, FL
10 May 2000

For those of you wondering about the DVD... let me put it this way -- you can't go wrong! If you're a fan of the movie, then you just can't miss enjoying the hour and 45 minute "Scrapbook" that is included on the DVD. Why, the price of the DVD was worth it for this alone.

For those music fans of James Horner (like me), there's a 12 minute one-on-one with the composer. It's a neat glimpse into the creative process that went into the 'score', and how James came up with each of the sections.

Toward the end I found myself laughing out loud when the "how do we do the end shot"? question came up. Expecting the usual special-effects-approach, I got something totally different. I was stunned at how the residents of Dyersville, Iowa pitched in to help for this important scene. Think you know how they did it? Bet you guess wrong! :)

All this just adds to an already great movie. One of my all time favorites. A must get DVD for any fan.

The Best

Author: brian_winston from Orlando, FL
21 February 2000

My favorite movie. One of the best stories for a movie that I've ever seen. This movie is especially good if you have ever played catch with your father. Great soundtrack, great acting, and James Earl Jones's voice as he pronounces the beauty of the game of baseball. What else do you want in a movie?

Magical

Author: snake-30 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 August 1999

Field of Dreams is a movie of pure joy. Of pure magic. It is the greatest of the baseball movies ever made.

I have a hard time expressing the quality of this movie. It is a father-son movie with a good script, acting, score etc. But it is much more than that. It's a movie that gets me every time I see it. Sometimes I forget about its quality, but all I need to do is pop it in the VCR again to remind myself.

The best film, not only about baseball, but of life.

Author: Ira Elting from Staten Island, New York
19 May 1999

I feel that Field of Dreams is not only a film about the love of baseball, but also life. It (baseball) symbolizes, as James Earl Jones says, everything that is good. Each time I see it, it makes me love the game of baseball and life even more.

One of the best

Author: cody-9 from Holbrook, Massachuetts
4 November 1998

This movie is without question one of the must-see movies of all time. It is one of those films which you can watch over and over again.

A film not about baseball but about redemption!

Author: Richard J. Courtens (courts5946@hotmail.com) from Cumberland, RI
26 September 1998

This film should not scare off those who are not baseball fans. The film is about so much more: about dreams realized and not, about redemption, about hope, and about the many ways we can fulfill ourselves. The depth of many of the characters and the manner in which they demonstrate the choices made and the paths chosen is marvelous to see. This fantasy is about the impossible and about the ordinary. It's a must see for movie goers of all ages.