IMDb > Field of Dreams (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 33: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Wonderful, feel good movie

Author: Rose-35 from Pennsylvania
4 October 1999

This a good movie to watch with family. It just raises your spirits and makes you feel good. Kevin Costner is great in this movie but I really liked Burt Lancaster and "Doc" Graham. At the age of 76 he still manages to move you like no other. He was an amazing actor and man. Everyone in this film gives good performances.. anyone who watches this will feel good afterwards.

Beautiful, timeless film

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
23 April 2010

I wasn't expecting to like Field of Dreams, but I did. More like loved it even. It is a beautiful, timeless charming film that has a delightful blend of the blind-fate story and the fanciful feel-good charm of Frank Capra. The film may be a little slow in one or two parts, but it is beautifully filmed, honest and well acted. The film is lovely to look at, the cinematography is beautiful and the scenery is stupendous. The score is soothing, relaxing and somewhat nostalgic and the well told story, about a man who hears a voice and turns the field his family adores into a baseball pitch, displays the themes of family, redemption and following your dreams. The script is like the film, honest, well crafted and has some delightfully poignant moments. And the acting is great, as he epitomises determination in a very dignified way Kevin Costner gives one of his best performances, and Amy Madigan is touching as his loyal wife. James Earl Jones is wholly convincing as Terrence Mann, while Ray Liotta, Frank Whaley and Burt Lancaster distinctively and solidly represent the spirit world. Overall, a great film. 9/10 Bethany Cox

The Ghosts Of Baseball Past

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
11 July 2009

Like Joan Of Arc who heard voices and saved her nation, Kevin Costner hears some voices who tell him to do one incredibly screwy thing. Build a baseball field, take out a couple of acres that could grow Iowa corn and some wonderful things will happen. But what those things are, even he can't imagine.

Good thing he has the loving support of wife Amy Madigan and daughter Gaby Hoffman. He's got a Grinch of a brother-in-law in Timothy Busfield who is the closest thing to a villain in Field Of Dreams. Busfield is very good in the scenes he's in.

The voices also tell Costner to get reclusive writer James Earl Jones in on his obsession and both of them get a mission to track down an obscure major league player from the old New York Giants who got one game in the big leagues and then left to pursue medicine. Burt Lancaster plays the older Archie 'Moonlight' Graham and Frank Whaley plays him as a callow baseball loving youth. Incidentally this was Lancaster's farewell performance on the big screen. For all the many and complex roles that Lancaster did in his career, this part as a simple country doctor, the kind that has vanished from our society is a great screen valedictory. By the way there was a real Moonlight Graham who did play one game for the Giants of John McGraw during the twenties. So that makes another real life person Burt Lancaster portrays on screen. As another member of the Giants at that time Casey Stengel always used to say, 'you could look it up'.

So Costner builds his baseball diamond, his Field Of Dreams and so much happens to him and others he's touched. Including a group of suspended players known infamously as the Chicago Black Sox who conspired to throw the 1919 World Series. The degree of complicity in each one of them varied, but the most well known case was that of Shoeless Joe Jackson whose spirit is embodied in Ray Liotta. There's on factual error in here. When you see Swede Risberg in catcher's gear, realize he was the shortstop for the White Sox, he never caught. The catcher for the team was Ray Schalk who is in the Hall of Fame and who was not part of the group that dumped games.

More legends surround baseball than all the other sports we Americans follow put together. They are a part of our history as much as the accomplishments of any presidents. Foreigners watching Field Of Dreams might not understand that and a great deal of the film will be lost on them. I'll wager more people will know Ty Cobb's lifetime batting average of .367 than can tell us what certain provisions of the Constitution are where. Then again as Liotta says, Cobb was so disliked in life, he wasn't invited as the ghosts of baseball past play in Costner's Iowa cornfield.

And believe me, Field Of Dreams is far from corn.

"I have just created something totally illogical".

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
23 May 2009

It's a little hard to explain why this film affects me the way it does. For other posters on this board as well as myself, the story really doesn't have much to do with baseball per se. It has all to do with one's relationship with family, and more notably, a father that one wishes he had a better relationship with. Not that mine was bad, but looking back on it now, it could have been so much better. The blame goes both ways, and I don't recall ever having a conversation with him that lasted more than a couple of sentences. I would ask him about the war (WW II), and he would shrug it off as if his story wouldn't matter. Now that he's gone, I find myself visiting his grave and spending more time talking to him now than I ever did back when he was around. So even though I can sit here and choke back some emotion as I write this, it's all but impossible to do so when Ray Kinsella sees his dad unbuckling the shin guards and the flash of recognition hits him. I think back almost fifty years ago to the time when I would have a catch with my dad, never even thinking back then what it would be like when he wouldn't be around anymore. And then I think about my own boys, and have to consider if when they watch this movie, they might wonder the same things about me.

I know this is supposed to be a movie review, but you'll have to cut me some slack. The above is pretty much all I want to say here, besides recommending the film for it's own sake. It's story telling at it's finest, mixing elements of fantasy and reality in a wonderful way, and laying it all out there for the baseball kid in all of us. We all have our own idea of what heaven might be like, and the movie reminds us that it might be a pretty good idea to take a few good practice swings while we're still here.

A Religious Experience - So Sue Me

Author: Richard (richreed-1) from Seattle, USA
24 April 2009

If I had to pick a Top 5 of my favorite movies, this is on the list. The naysayers can pontificate all they want on its cinematic merits, but I don't give a ratsass. When I watch this movie I demand quiet and reverence. I'm not a baseball fan - heck, I'm not even a sports fan. But the simple matter is this movie speaks to a part of me that doesn't show.

Just like in the movie where the characters wonder what their reason for being is, and then realize it in the end, the viewer is treated to the same odyssey. Every character in the movie adds to the total effect, and moves the story along, and without the character, no matter how minor, the story would be incomplete.

Maybe because of my relationship with my own Dad; maybe because I've had the opportunity to visit the actual field used for the filming (it still exists, and yes, People Do Come), maybe it's the reinforcement in my belief there is a heaven - whatever the reason, this movie just makes me feel good.

A Film With a Message!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
12 October 2008

Field of Dreams is a very good film, not the best film but good enough. This film is not directly about baseball and has a very clear message for everyone. The film is about Kevin Costner's character hearing a voice. The voice tells him to build a baseball field in his corn patch. As soon as he finishes the field, the ghosts of the 1919 Black Sox scandal led by Shoeless Joe Jackson appear in the field. The acting is good in this film for the most part. Kevin Costner and Amy Madigan were great as the farming family. James Earl Jones was perfect as a realist author. The score by James Horner is very good. The tone is soft and is good enough to make people cry. The clear message is not about baseball, it's about spending time with your family. Overall, this is a very good film. I rate this movie 9/10.

A Magical film, no matter what age or maturity level you are

Author: PeterD1361 (PeterD1361@aol.com) from United States
3 May 2006

It is hard for me even to write a review for this movie...I just don't know where to begin. I am 19 years old, and have seen many "great" films, but Field of Dreams is absolutely the best I have ever seen.

This movie is much more than meets the eye. On the surface, it receives much criticism for being considered a "cheesy," melo-dramaticized film with unbearably sappy lines. However, I am tired of hearing this repetitive criticism.

Field of Dreams is the story of a farmer, Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner), a complete product of the 60's, who lives in Iowa with his wife, Annie (Amy Madigan), and daughter, Karin (Gaby Hoffmann). Moreover, it is the story of a young father who has lived a predictable, yet regretful, life.

You see, Ray's father loved baseball. Especially during a time when baseball seemed like a golden sport sent from God, solidifying itself as "America's National Pasttime," during the 1920's. This was when some of baseball's greatest, most legendary players were either in their prime, or beginning their careers. Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Lefty Grove, and Shoeless Joe Jackson all played during this "golden era" of baseball. However, it was also during this time that the "Black Sox" Scandal occurred, and put a black mark on baseball in many fans' hearts. When Ray says some of the harshest words possible to the most true baseball lover he knows, his dad,(for which I will not tell, since it would spoil part of the movie), he ran away to college and completely shut out his father from his life.

Living a plain life full of solidarity, Ray one day randomly hears a voice, or revelation, if you will, while working in his corn stalk. Following from this, Ray spends the next weeks and months on both a physical and mental journey, fitting pieces together and following different cues, kind of like a detective solving a mysterious crime.

What transpires from all this, without spoiling the movie, is one of the most memorable, miraculous, and heart-warming moments ever reproduced on film. But I guess you'll just have to see it to find out.

This movie can be related to on many levels. For the standard movie critic, you might argue that it is an over-fictionalized, sappy movie...you know what, to be fair you might be right, on some level. But I would argue that this film could not have been done as successfully without that component to it, and certainly would not have achieved the same emotional, desired result. But the same way as Disneyworld is magical to a young child, Field of Dreams is magical to a moviegoer. You don't have to love baseball, or even like it for that matter, but you do have to appreciate the father-son relationship/aspect of the film that transpires throughout the entire movie, and the magical (even if somewhat melodramatic) "cloud" under which the entire story takes place.

For any person, man or woman, who has ever thrown a baseball and had a game of catch with their dad, this movie is the quintessential father/son, father/daughter emotional, movie-going experience. It is an instant classic, and it is because of movies like this one that we go see movies in the first place, and share our most intimate, fantasy-filled moments with our family members. It is truly a "magical" experience. Field of Dreams is one of those rare, well-made movies, where (to sound fitting to its criticism, sappy) dreams can come true.

A Place Where Dreams Come True

Author: Aaron from St. Louis
29 April 2002

Simply put, this movie is what you make of it. Just like in the movie, it means something different to everyone. For the screen characters this represents a lost dream, a way to make amends with your dead father, or a way to rekindle a lost desire to write. This movie is a baseball movie for baseball fans, but a different movie for others. That's the brilliant beauty of this movie, it can represent something very personal to you. This movie has great presence, good acting, and a superb score. This is one of those movies you will watch on a Saturday afternoon just because it's on TV, even if you've seen it 20 times already. If you haven't seen it, give it a shot. If you've seen it once, try it again. You won't regret it.

A GRAND SLAM!

Author: wolfdog from United States
28 April 2002

This is one of the few movies that I have on tape and then also bought on DVD. Very few movies withstand the test of time as this we does and will. I have browsed through the user comments and see that over 95% simply think this is one of the best movies ever and then there are the others who cannot or will not have the courage or imagination to dream. Of course it is hokey, fictional but it is a great story that gets it right about relationships, second chances and just taking a chance. I wonder if the people who really hate this film hate it just to be different, dont like Costner or just really have no emotions about what most people find important in life. It was very nice to see a few comments from our friends in England who also enjoyed this movie realizing that you do not have to know a thing about baseball to get totally involved and sucked into the story about people not realizing how good they really do have it and how Ray Kinsella gets a second chance to make amends with his deceased father. Obviously we will not have this chance in real life but this movie may stir enough emotion in some to try to mend fences before they really do run out of time and not have to live with a person dying before they could take back something they wish they never said.

An excellent movie!

Author: mr_doright11 from Gresham, Oregon
15 August 2001

This was an excellent movie. Kevin Costner did a really good job in this. He usually plays these larger than life characters (usually), but in this he just an ordinary average guy, with a supportive wife (Amy Madigan, who I really liked in this), a sweet little daughter (Gabby Hoffmann, who was the cutest little girl), and a big baseball field in his backyard (formally known as the big corn field in the backyard).

My favorite characters in this movie, though, were Ray Liotta as Shoeless Joe Jackson and James Earl Jones as Terrance Mann. Ray was a very convincing ball player, and James Earl Jones, well, let's just leave it at that. It was a very entertaining fantasy, yet at the same time, a powerful drama. I think that it was very touching, and sometimes sad.

When I first started to watch this I thought 'oh good, another stupid baseball movie', but it was much more than that. Yes, it was about baseball, in part, but it was also about dreams coming true, abandoned hopes revisited, and most of all, second chances. Check this out if your a fan of what you just read, because it is, without a doubt, worth the rent or buy. 10/10