IMDb > Field of Dreams (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 33: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

Worth your money

Author: Stephen Verhaeren (Spwysteve@aol.com) from Palos Park, IL USA
30 June 2002

I strongley reccomend for you to get off your butt and go rent this and Bull Durham. Both movies are worth your time and money, and if you have a dvd collection, go out and buy this and Bull Durham. I give this 10/10 and higly reccomed this to Kevin Costner fans. It is about a farmer who builds a baseball field. As the movie opens, Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) is standing in his corn field when he hears a voice that says, "If you built it, he will come". He askes his wife Annie (Amy Madigan from Uncle Buck), what was that voice, but she or there daughter Karin (Gabby Hoffman) doesn't hear the voice. After some time Kevin figures out that if he builds a baseball fiedl, "Shoeless" Joe Jackson (Ray Liotta) will play baseball again. And he gets "your kidding?" from his wife when he tells her. James Earl Jones plays an author name Terrace Mann, Burt Lancaster is Dr. Graham, Timothy Busfield is Annie's brother and Kevin's brother-in-law Mark. Aslo, there was a real Dr. Graham that died in 1965.

The Ultimate Baseball Film

Author: Lee Kelly
16 June 2000

I'm a Brit. We don't get baseball and we don't get baseball films. The Natural? Huh? Major League? Funny, but what's the game about? Cobb? Babe? Who? For Love of The Game? I'll catch it on TV sometime. Stealing Home? How come Jodie Foster doesn't age at all?

But this film transcends all that. A simple elegy to family, the good old days and the value of dreams. It captures perfectly the magic of long summer evenings that never seem to end.

Oh, heck. I forgot Bull Durham and Eight Men Out. They're good, but Fields of Dreams is, and I hope always will be, the best.

They don't make 'em any better

Author: postman-13 from Massachusetts
1 April 2000

It's difficult to say if this is a baseball movie. It's really a movie about redemption and reconciliation, using baseball metaphorically. That being said, it IS the best baseball movie, ever.

Granted, Ray and Annie at times seem to still be stuck in the '60's, (Annie actually says "Far out!", and Ray drives a VW microbus with a peace sticker on the windshield). Ex-hippies. Yikes. Also, I didn't realize Boston had such a large Jewish community. It looks as if that's all that's there.

But these quibbles pale when you see the final scene. I won't give it away, I'll just say that I can't watch the ending with a dry eye, and I've seen it at least a dozen times. Costner's inflicted a lot of dogs upon us, but with this one, all is truly forgiven

Studio tripe....I love it!

Author: fiteclub
18 September 1999

It's overly sentimental, fake, predictable, and simple. I don't know anyone who doesn't like it. The thing with Field Of Dreams is, it REALLY DOES make you feel good. When it's done you want to pop it in the VCR again and watch it all over. I recommend it to you even though I don't know you and you may hate Kevin Costner AND baseball and if that's the case, watch Bull Durham instead.

good

Author: Blair Campbell from Perth, Australia
22 April 1999

As has already been mentioned, you don't have to be a baseball fan to enjoy this movie. And it's one that you can watch again and again. I really enjoyed the fantasy. See it. 8/10

Great Movie.

Author: JRGTrek from Dubuque, Iowa
20 February 1999

In 1988, during the taping of this movie, I heard updates on the news everyday about what they did. I remember how nobody could get in to the theathers of this movie in the first 5 weeks, the radio stations had the one line of the movie over and over again: "Hey is this heaven? No, it's Iowa." I love baseball and Iowa, so it was a great movie for me. This is Kevin Costner at his best, why? The Postman and Waterworld, 'Nuff Said. I'm more of a Sci-Fi freak, but this was the movie that changed the way people see Iowa. I remember interviews in the paper that said people from California saying they were shocked about how beautiful Iowa was and how they wanted to come back to Iowa soon. I think this is a movie for the ages, even ten years later, it still seems like yesterday when they came to Iowa to create a masterpiece. JRGTREK.

Great movie

Author: Jules16 from Michigan
2 February 1999

As someone with a slightly questionable relationship with my father, few films can bring me to tears the way this one does at the end. The line "Dad, wanna have a catch?" is more than enough to make me cry. But the best part of this movie is that it isn't just a sappy, feelgood movie about father-son relationships. In fact, I watched the entire thing the first time simply because I wanted to see the next step in Ray's weird and unbelievable journey. What's going to happen in Terrence Mann's apartment? Who is that old man with the cane? It's a cliche'd, corny (haha, sorry, couldn't think of another word) plot, and yet it's fascinating... Good always prevails, nothing ends with death, children have all the answers...what more can we ask for? The acting wasn't great, although Ray Liotta's mystical portrayal of Shoeless Joe fascinated me. But altogether, I felt the cast complemented each other nicely and it is just a great movie. And I definitely agree with the quote--I don't know if I could love anyone who didn't at least get teary-eyed at this movie. 7.5 out of 10.

Baseball as Religion

Author: Bill Anderson (anderson@nehp.net) from New Hope, Alabama USA
31 January 1999

I was late coming to the realization that baseball is the only professional sport worthy of my attention. Ted Turner began showing Atlanta Braves games on his superstation nearly every evening in the summers, and I began tuning in more and more often. The ebb and flow of the baseball season worked its magic on me and I was hooked. This film, rich in wonder and whimsy, is about that magic. It offers us baseball as religion. "If you build it, they will come." I did.

A magical movie indeed.

Author: krogh
5 January 1999

This movie is simply magical. It´s so innocent and sweet, and yet very serious and profound. The baseball field is the stuff dreams are made of, and as someone else said: "Dreams can come true." Beautiful!

A film not about baseball but about redemption!

Author: Richard J. Courtens (courts5946@hotmail.com) from Cumberland, RI
26 September 1998

This film should not scare off those who are not baseball fans. The film is about so much more: about dreams realized and not, about redemption, about hope, and about the many ways we can fulfill ourselves. The depth of many of the characters and the manner in which they demonstrate the choices made and the paths chosen is marvelous to see. This fantasy is about the impossible and about the ordinary. It's a must see for movie-goers of all ages.