IMDb > Field of Dreams (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 32: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Not timeless bur reflects the time

Author: mharps42 from United States
1 August 2009

This is of course, one of the masterpieces of modern film. It is perhaps not timeless but reflects perfectly its time.Only a few films, like FOREST GUMP, remind us of how occasionally commerical films can move us. If only we could get a few more.

Stil, the film grossed only $64 million-now this was probably 15-20 million ticket buyers in 1989 which in today's world would give it blockbuster status.

The 60's theme is beautifully done-even to the Allman brothers.

Still makes me cry after a dozen viewings-albeit the viewings are infrequent.

See it again.

"He's Plowing Over His Corn! Da*n Fool!"

Author: crscountrykid from United States
3 February 2009

"Field of Dreams" is by far one of the best sports movies ever made and maybe the best. It is a timeless tale of family, spirit, believing, and of course baseball.

Kevin Costner is astounding in the role of Ray Kinsella, a farming family-man in Iowa who hears a strange and now iconic voice telling him to build a baseball in his corn field. The field is built and magically, baseball legends from the past, mainly the 1919 "Black Sox" team appear right in front of Ray's eyes. But, there is something more than just building a field to Ray as the voice keeps whispering signals to him.

Amy Madigan plays Anne Kinsella, Ray's wife and supporter of his dreams. She is stout, sarcastic, and is portrayed pretty well by Madigan.

James Earl Jones portrays Terrence Mann, a novelist from the 1960's who befriends Ray after a previous, nearly violent encounter.

If you are sports fan and a movie fan alike, this movie comes highly recommended from everyone who has watched it. It is timeless. It is awesome. Its a grand slam!

If you build it, he will come

Author: smcgann14 from United States
23 July 2008

You could call it a masterpiece. Well, I do too! This is true genius from the corn stalk scene to the traffic scene. I've even been to the Field of Dreams AND I met an extra from the school meeting scene. With such excellent casting, setting, and humor, you'll love it! Maybe the only scene that didn't seem to amuse me was the Doc Gramhm talk scene in 1972. I didn't really care for it that much. I know it's probably an important scene in the film, but it didn't touch me. But I think it can be loved by parents and children alike. Besides, it got nominated for Best Pictue. That's great! Well, Time to close my comment for now. THE END. Next comment: Mamma Mia!

"Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa."

Author: (mgiese22@hotmail.com) from United States
20 March 2007

Since I was born, raised, and live in Iowa I just had to fall in love with this movie. Around here we are all very proud of this film. I live only about 30 miles from the Field of Dreams baseball field.

Field of Dreams is the sort of movie that makes you realize that it's the magic of storytelling and the power of the emotions that hits you hard, which is why we like it so. This film is fantasy, pure and simple, including ghosts, time travel and magic. Yet it's interwoven with just enough real-world Iowa farm life to make it seem real.

Kevin Costner deserves some credit for all this. Throughout Field of Dreams, you get the feeling that Costner's character, Ray Kinsella, is as unsure as we are about whether to buy what's unfolding.

Ray is a half-hearted farmer whose business is in trouble. One day, he hears a voice while walking through his cornfield, and – with some support of his wife (Amy Madigan) decides to do what he thinks it's telling him. Ray ploughs up a field of corn and puts in a baseball field. Then he takes a spontaneous road trip to Boston. He kidnaps a famous author (James Earl Jones does an excellent job as the cranky but wise Terrence Mann).

Ultimatey, Ray discovers what the voice was getting at, as he gains a deeper understanding of his own past, and a stronger bond with his history, his family and his future.

Field of Dreams is easy to like if you like baseball. Even easier if you've ever stood on a baseball field and been at total peace with yourself. If you're from Iowa then no doubt you love this film. This is the ultimate baseball movie, even though it doesn't actually include a lot of baseball action. That's why this film isn't just for baseball fans. It's also for people who've experienced loss and want, to dream of regaining what was lost – of having the chance to say what you've always wanted to say but didn't.

Ultimately, Field of Dreams is about the good things that America has lost touch with. It's about family, healing old wounds, and the beauty of a game that's clear to see why it's called America's pastime.

Effective Sentimentality

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
14 February 2007

It takes a lot to make a good baseball movie. This is one of the best. It's about a man who is visited in an almost "Noah's Ark" kind of way, by spirits that tell him to build a baseball field in an Iowa cornfield. Kevin Costner has apparently made himself the cinematic voice of the sport, creating many interesting baseball movies. This, of course, balances a sense of the man's sanity (sort of like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind) versus a supernatural element that the sport of baseball has become. Of course, our hero not only accomplishes what he sets out to do, he begins to see things that only those with a childlike innocence can see. There is an attachment to Ray's feelings of an empty childhood that is hard to resist. Of course, there's one of the greatest quotes ever delivered in a movie: "Is this heaven?" "No, it's Ioway." It has sentimentality for sure, but it overcomes it very well and becomes an outstanding film.

The Magic of the Field

Author: dubuque1 from Dubuque, Iowa
17 September 2006

I found it ironic, that although I worked as some of the security for the filming in our city of Dubuque, that I never visited the field until 1996. This was a interesting time, as it was the year and time my father died. Although he was a sport lover, I was not and going to a baseball field had no meaning to me. But leaving the cemetery one day after my fathers death, I took myself and my mother to the field to see it. The cemetery was not much more than 4 miles from the field. Meeting people there and finding the reasons they came was absolutely fascinating, and I saw that my mother enjoyed it. Now I only wish that I had taken a opportunity to take my dad there over the years but never did. If you have not seen the documentary made called DreamField, try to find it as it has some related stories to the magic this field still possesses.

Ray Liotta and a Baseball Bat: No Broken Legs?

Author: gavin6942 from United States
24 April 2006

That's right, you read my headline: Ray Liotta is a main character in this movie, he has a baseball bat... and he doesn't hit anyone or swear. That's one of two complaints. The other complaint? This movie made me cry. How dare they touch my soft spot! In this now-classic film, Kevin Costner hears voices that have him build a baseball diamond, track down J.D. Salinger and dig up a dead doctor. When threatened by the bank his house is going to be foreclosed, no sweat: go see a Red Sox game, kidnap a man with a fake gun and euthanize a black man who might be Darth Vader. And guess what? They man forcing him to sell (his brother-in-law) decides he's not crazy after all.

So yeah, it's really good. It has some classic music that fits the scenes perfectly (Patsy Cline worked well, for example). Oh, and did I mention Ben Affleck appears in this film? And Matt Damon? If you get a high-definition TV with a 2000 inch screen, you might be able to see them. Or if not, you'll notice Robert DeNiro's mole is 10 feet wide. Oh wait, that's another movie.

You don't have to like baseball to like this movie. You just have to like the 80s and tolerate Kevin Costner. It's really a film about a son who wants to get his dad back. Kind of like "Frequency"... and both movies involve the father/son connected in a mysterious way to achieve improbable goals. I wonder if the "Frequency" guys realized they were ripping off "Field of Dreams" (besides making a film with some really nonsense plot holes). But that's another review, so never mind.

"Field of Dreams"? Watch it. Seriously. It might not be Costner's best ("Waterworld") but it makes the kids happy.

A true classic.

Author: MovieLuva101
3 April 2006

I just saw Field of Dreams recently and it reminded me of why I loved the movie so much. It is a true classic. Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) is asked by a mysterious "voice" to "build it" and "he will come". Kinsella is a confused and somewhat normal farmer with a somewhat normal life in Iowa. Until "he" comes. "He" changes everything and Kinsella seeks out the answer to "why" and finds a lost and apparently somewhat disturbed author (James Earl Jones). This is a sports movie with with unbelievable passion. It will have you hooked from the first second. Your heart will feel warm and it might even bring tears to your eyes.

dreamy

Author: anjshaik from United States
16 December 2005

this is a pretty good movie it has elements that you would love to watch if you're miserable overall great film climax is somewhat interesting enough and how one man gets his goal through the impossible great acting screenplay and direction really helps the movie this movie is incredibly hard to understand but the climax clears that up for you the ultimate passion of one man and his goal and how he achieves that goal makes up the climax where it leads him nice-toned film it surely deserves the rating it got because this movie may contain flaws it still is strong enough for you to carry on and see what takes up the climax

One of the great movies about our greatest game...

Author: jtwford from United States
26 November 2005

I have loved this movie since I saw it in the theaters when I was 11. As a die-hard White Sox fan, I sat down and watched this and 8 Men Out the week after the 05 WS ended. As good as both of these films are, they were always hard for me to watch, as the reminders of the 1919 Sox's indiscretions hit me very hard every time. This time though, a feeling of relief and redemption overwhelmed me. This time, the tears were not from frustration, but from sheer joy, knowing that generations of Sox fans, both alive and passed, have finally seen years of frustration washed away.

One small bone to pick with this film. Ray Liotta, who's work I do enjoy, was quite possibly the worst pick they could have made for Shoeless Joe. A slow, simple, illiterate southerner was portrayed as an articulate speaker with a thick New Jersey/New York accent. This has never seemed quite right to me.

Otherwise, this is one of the 5 greatest baseball movies ever made, along with (in no real order); Bull Durham, 8 Men Out, The Natural, and Cobb.