IMDb > Field of Dreams (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 31: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

definitely worth your time

Author: (philhouston) from United Kingdom
2 November 2011

I first heard of this film from an episode of How I met Your Mother and, as a Brit, couldn't really grasp such an emotional response to baseball as this film seems to evoke. However after finally getting round to watching it I can honestly say that I'm glad I took the time to see it. Kevin Costner isn't one of my favourite actors; his English accent in Robin Hood was mock-able, and his portrayal of a senior adviser to JFK in Thirteen Days leaves something to be desired, but in Field of Dreams he plays his character perfectly. I love the fact that his wife and daughter are in on his "delusions" as it allows the film to focus less on his crumbling social life (losing his livelihood) and more on the pursuit of his desire. James Earl Jones puts in a stunning performance as the unwilling accomplice in this drama, but what else can one really expect from such a renowned actor? I must admit this film brought me close to tears at times, even though it innately is a happy story with very little tragedy to speak of; but perhaps that is the beauty of this film- that with a little imagination something beautiful can be brought to life.

Book and movie are both outstanding

Author: ballen78 from Mason WV
21 July 2011

I just finished reading Shoeless Joe for the first time today, and I figured it would be a good time to watch Field of Dreams for the twentieth time. This was my favorite movie as a child, and it really cemented my love for baseball. For many, the book blows the movie away, but my view is that both are unique in their own way. The book is not readily accessible to anybody under the age of 25, in my opinion. It takes a little bit of life experience to truly understand Ray's situation in the novel. The movie, however, is a classic for all ages. I don't think there's a person alive, male or female, that can't appreciate regret for things said to parents, alive or deceased.

On top of the outstanding story, this movie is a who's who of late-80's film. Costner was in his prime at this point, a few years before Waterworld. James Earl James is perfect. Ray Liotta the year before Goodfellas. Burt Lancaster in his last major movie feature. It's a well-cast film, no question.

The only complaint I have is that they changed so much from the book. Why substitute Salinger for Mann except to bring Jones into the mix? Why completely ignore Ray's twin brother and "the oldest living Cub"? Ignoring those two central characters in the novel makes the movie much more shallow than the book.

Heartwarming Fantasy Of Lowly Farmer Encountering Mystical Forces

Author: ShootingShark from Dundee, Scotland
27 June 2011

Ray Kinsella is a farmer in Iowa who hears a mysterious voice in his head telling him to build a baseball field in his corn. Unable to resist, he does, and soon a troupe of ghostly players, led by the legendary Shoeless Joe Jackson, show up and start playing. What does it mean, and what will happen next ?

This is a lovely gentle fantasy about following your heart, the choices we all make in life and how redemption may come in an unusual guise. It's also pure Americana - the lovely open spaces of the Midwest, the echoes of the sixties counter culture which drove wedges between many children and their parents, and of course the central metaphor of baseball as the true icon of US culture. It's also a lovingly crafted old-style of a movie - you could imagine Frank Capra and James Stewart making it in the forties - about an ordinary guy who follows his heart and puts his trust in strangers, even when it's crazy to do so. When Ray is asked if this is heaven, and he looks at the beautiful countryside and his wife and daughter sitting on the porch, the answer is obvious. It's maybe a little schmaltzy but who cares - the emotions and the characters ring true, and it keeps coming up with fine scenes and funny moments, as well as a fabulous payoff when we finally realise the true point to all Ray's endeavours. It has a terrific cast, whose performances seem effortless and make us believe everything we're seeing without question - Jones' "people will come" speech is an amazing soliloquy, and for my money Lancaster (in his penultimate film) completely steals the picture as Moonlight Graham, the small town doctor who never quite made it to the big leagues. There's also an amazing score by James Horner which seems to instantly make everyone weep with happiness, and dreamy gorgeous location photography by John Lindley shot in Dubuque County in eastern Iowa. This is a proper movie experience, full of love, mystery, comedy and drama, the kind of film which sweeps you along and you don't want to end. It's beautiful. Written by the director and based on the bestselling book Shoeless Joe, by W.P. Kinsella. For a very different but equally entertaining movie about Jackson made at the same time, check out John Sayles' excellent Eight Men Out.

Absurdity at its best and is in fact Inspirational

Author: errpits from India
16 January 2011

While I was watching this movie, there were several occasions when I told myself....What the hell is going on? This is untrue, its absurd etc etc....but at the end it still is beautiful...Is in't? Lets see Hearing voices, that too only by a particular fellow,putting his everything on stake on those voice and then again hearing some more voices....Sound strange or rather fittingly stupid. But thats the beauty of this cinema where dreams are the driving forces of a person's life. And if you believe in god,if you believe in miracles then you can break the logical cage and enter the world of impracticalities which is far more superior than the real bitchy world....Sounds like an escapist point of view...May be but for me being a avid dreamer this movie is not only special and entertaining but to an extent inspirational for it reminds me that "DREAMS DO COMES TRUE....its a matter of seeing them" I would just say, just give a watch....and enjoy

second Kevin Costner baseball themed film

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
4 January 2010

i found this fantasy/drama/baseball themed film starring Kevin Costner to be very enjoyable and moving.it was also very well acted all around.there are too many good performances to mention all,but Amy Madigan,Frank Whaley,and especially James Earl Jones were outstanding.i also liked Ray Liota.i just wished his character had a larger part to play.unfortunately,i hated Timothy Busfield's character.i just found him too loud,and mean.he didn't really belong in the move,just didn't fit in with the rest of the characters,and the quiet,serene tone of the story.there isn't really a lot of baseball played in the movie.baseball serves more as the theme for the movie rather than anything else.anyway,it's a moving,thought proving film.for me,Field of Dreams is an 8/10

Timeless

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
21 September 2009

So Field of Dreams, pretty famous film over all, created one of the major quotes of movie history "If you build it, he will come". My boyfriend was shocked that out of all the movies I had seen, I've never watched Field of Dreams. So he gave me the movie and said that if I'm a true baseball fan that I would watch it, being a (disappointed) fan of the Chicago Cubs, I have to say that he was right. This is a movie that is about the love of baseball. What I enjoyed most about this story is that it felt like it was timeless, this is a movie that really doesn't age, I thought it was made in the 1990's, surprising to find out that it was made in the 1980's. The characters are so wonderful and charming, how could you not adore them and wish for Kevin Costner to succeed in making this baseball field? The love that was put into this movie shows and was a pleasure to watch.

Ray Kinsella is a novice farmer who lives in rural Iowa with his wife, Annie, and their young daughter Karin. While walking through his cornfield, Ray hears a voice whisper, "If you build it, he will come", and sees a vision of a baseball field. Believing he is somehow being asked to build it, and fearing he is in danger of "turning into" his father, Ray strongly wishes to do so. Although skeptical, Annie is supportive. Watched by incredulous neighbors, Ray plows under his corn and builds the field. A year passes without incident. Ray and Annie are eventually forced to consider replacing the field with corn to stay financially solvent. At this point Karin spots a man on the ball field who Ray discovers is Shoeless Joe Jackson, a baseball player idolized by his father. Joe is thrilled to be able to play baseball again and asks to bring others with him to the field. He later returns with the seven other players banned in the 1919 Black Sox scandal, emerging from the corn by the outfield. With the help of others Ray sticks to his faith and believes that this field means something and do whatever he can to find out what this will do for his life.

I'm really glad I gave Field of Dreams a chance, it's a delightful film. We have some powerhouse performances from Costner, Liotta and Jones. I'm surprised I didn't see this movie earlier, but better late than never. I think also visually this is one of the most memorable films in is simplicity, Ray Liotta and his teammates coming out of the field and going back in was so memorizing. Also just what it represented in possibly being Heaven or to be forever young and happy, it was wonderful. If you get the chance to see Field of Dreams, I highly recommend it. It's a lovely family film with terrific actors and a timeless story about the love of baseball and making your dreams come true. Not to mention the ultimate tear jerker ending, you'll have to trust me on this one.

Not timeless bur reflects the time

Author: mharps42 from United States
1 August 2009

This is of course, one of the masterpieces of modern film. It is perhaps not timeless but reflects perfectly its time.Only a few films, like FOREST GUMP, remind us of how occasionally commerical films can move us. If only we could get a few more.

Stil, the film grossed only $64 million-now this was probably 15-20 million ticket buyers in 1989 which in today's world would give it blockbuster status.

The 60's theme is beautifully done-even to the Allman brothers.

Still makes me cry after a dozen viewings-albeit the viewings are infrequent.

See it again.

"He's Plowing Over His Corn! Da*n Fool!"

Author: crscountrykid from United States
3 February 2009

"Field of Dreams" is by far one of the best sports movies ever made and maybe the best. It is a timeless tale of family, spirit, believing, and of course baseball.

Kevin Costner is astounding in the role of Ray Kinsella, a farming family-man in Iowa who hears a strange and now iconic voice telling him to build a baseball in his corn field. The field is built and magically, baseball legends from the past, mainly the 1919 "Black Sox" team appear right in front of Ray's eyes. But, there is something more than just building a field to Ray as the voice keeps whispering signals to him.

Amy Madigan plays Anne Kinsella, Ray's wife and supporter of his dreams. She is stout, sarcastic, and is portrayed pretty well by Madigan.

James Earl Jones portrays Terrence Mann, a novelist from the 1960's who befriends Ray after a previous, nearly violent encounter.

If you are sports fan and a movie fan alike, this movie comes highly recommended from everyone who has watched it. It is timeless. It is awesome. Its a grand slam!

If you build it, he will come

Author: smcgann14 from United States
23 July 2008

You could call it a masterpiece. Well, I do too! This is true genius from the corn stalk scene to the traffic scene. I've even been to the Field of Dreams AND I met an extra from the school meeting scene. With such excellent casting, setting, and humor, you'll love it! Maybe the only scene that didn't seem to amuse me was the Doc Gramhm talk scene in 1972. I didn't really care for it that much. I know it's probably an important scene in the film, but it didn't touch me. But I think it can be loved by parents and children alike. Besides, it got nominated for Best Pictue. That's great! Well, Time to close my comment for now. THE END. Next comment: Mamma Mia!

"Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa."

Author: (mgiese22@hotmail.com) from United States
20 March 2007

Since I was born, raised, and live in Iowa I just had to fall in love with this movie. Around here we are all very proud of this film. I live only about 30 miles from the Field of Dreams baseball field.

Field of Dreams is the sort of movie that makes you realize that it's the magic of storytelling and the power of the emotions that hits you hard, which is why we like it so. This film is fantasy, pure and simple, including ghosts, time travel and magic. Yet it's interwoven with just enough real-world Iowa farm life to make it seem real.

Kevin Costner deserves some credit for all this. Throughout Field of Dreams, you get the feeling that Costner's character, Ray Kinsella, is as unsure as we are about whether to buy what's unfolding.

Ray is a half-hearted farmer whose business is in trouble. One day, he hears a voice while walking through his cornfield, and – with some support of his wife (Amy Madigan) decides to do what he thinks it's telling him. Ray ploughs up a field of corn and puts in a baseball field. Then he takes a spontaneous road trip to Boston. He kidnaps a famous author (James Earl Jones does an excellent job as the cranky but wise Terrence Mann).

Ultimatey, Ray discovers what the voice was getting at, as he gains a deeper understanding of his own past, and a stronger bond with his history, his family and his future.

Field of Dreams is easy to like if you like baseball. Even easier if you've ever stood on a baseball field and been at total peace with yourself. If you're from Iowa then no doubt you love this film. This is the ultimate baseball movie, even though it doesn't actually include a lot of baseball action. That's why this film isn't just for baseball fans. It's also for people who've experienced loss and want, to dream of regaining what was lost – of having the chance to say what you've always wanted to say but didn't.

Ultimately, Field of Dreams is about the good things that America has lost touch with. It's about family, healing old wounds, and the beauty of a game that's clear to see why it's called America's pastime.