IMDb > Field of Dreams (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A Memorable Film For Most Men

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
10 January 2007

The movie is a rarity in one respect: a non-violent film that is almost strictly a man's film, one that brought tears to millions of men who watched it. For one thing, anyone who has ever played catch with his dad will be very touched by this story.

This is pure fantasy and has some schlock, if I'm using the right word, mixed in with some sickeningly-Sixties Liberalism but the good parts are SO good that they far outweigh anything else and make this film one I've always treasured.

To me, this movie has many memorable scenes, too many too mention here especially since there are enough reviews already. Suffice to say it's hard to beat those nighttime shots of the ball diamond between the house and cornfield and those mystical moments when the players suddenly appear on the diamond. My favorite character in the movie was "Doc" Graham, played superbly by Burt Lancaster in the last movie role he ever played, and by Frank Whaley as a younger "Archie."

Kevin Costner, as "Ray Kinsella," the star of the film, is outstanding, too. It's nice to see a guy who knows how to play baseball. Costner is a fine ballplayer in his own right.

I didn't care for his wife, "Annie," in here, played by Amy Madigan, who supplies us with a lot of the Liberal propaganda with her PTA "debate," a few other comments and just the way she sees things, although she is a great wife in here to a husband who appeared to have lost his marbles. She was supportive and loving: what more does a husband need?

James Earl Jones is good as the former leftist radical who would rather leave his past behind and just extol the virtues of baseball, which he does here expertly. I loved the scene with he and Kevin Costner at Fenway Park in Boston. Ray Liotta, who plays "Joe Jackson," became a star because of this movie.

Politics aside, this a special movie to anyone who has dreams, yearns at times for the good 'ole days, loves baseball, enjoys a good time-travel-type of story and is a sentimentalist at heart. I plead "guilty" on all counts.

If you own the special-edition, or rent it, please check out some of the features. They are among the best I have ever watched on a DVD. This is one of those films that inspired me to buy the book, too.

Indulge Me!!!

Author: dataconflossmoor from United States
5 November 2007

It is simply amazing to realize what length a person will go to in order to pursue a conviction!! Kevin Costner's character in "Field of Dreams" is one whereby he feels that a devotion to a belief is far more important than the day to day rigors of living...Baseball was indeed a passion for him, as were the 1960's a passion for him!! These culminating interests resonated an end result whereby Kevin Costner's fascination with a prominent writer, Terence Mann became imminently pertinent. Terance Mann was a writer who necessitated viewpoints concerning the emerging radicalism during the tumultuous era of the 1960's!! Mann purveyed many ideologically poignant philosophies which had left an indelible impact on many individuals!! The characters that Kevin Costner and Amy Madigan played in this movie, were two such people!!

What was the significance to baseball in this movie? Essentially, it was the pursuit of how an American icon which upholds the rigid beliefs that following your dreams can materialize into a higher social consciousness. Such a fervor would be the prevailing concept which astutely sums it up!! Baseball had made a tremendous resurgence in the 1980's, and a philosophical fixation, as demonstrated in "Field of Dreams", which was made in 1987, accommodated such a pique!! If it is a lifelong goal to be the best baseball player in the major league that you can possibly be, than, this is not just another job for a baseball player, it is, in fact, an adamant attempt to be a legend!! What person in their right mind would put a baseball field in the middle of valuable farmland? Who would drive 1,200 miles away to Boston for no real reason whatsoever? Someone who recognizes the importance of building a dream!!

So!! What is to indulge in this movie?

Basically Everything!!!

What this means is that none of this movie is realistic, all of it is hypothetical, something that we have chosen to leave to the imagination!! This is what makes this film so marvelous!! The movie "Field of Dreams" is a proliferation of the idea that your persistent curiosity has the yearning desire to unearth a spiritual and emotional fervor which is truly genuine!! Why is this so important? Because we know that spiritually, and emotionally, there is so much more to get out of life than we wind up attaining!! It is very enlightening when someone is motivated by an ideological passion!! This baseball field cultivated a panacea for dedicated believers in a lofty concept about understanding the human nature of anyone who played and loved baseball!! This movie, as well as "The Natural", were two baseball movies which emanate a seemingly worthwhile tenet of cogency concerning an acquisition of a feasible idealism!! I truly feel that this movie is a must for all movie viewers.. The historical perspective in this movie is truly incredible!! The acting in "Field of Dreams" is sensational, Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, Ray Liotta, James Earl Jones, and even a cameo appearance by Burt Lancaster made this film a bonanza for acting brilliance!! Robinson's directing efforts for this movie are absolutely spectacular!! The revelation that baseball has homogenized the kindred spirits of someone's ideological premise for their intellectually tenacious ambitions, only means one thing, this is America!!! In my books, this film gets a resounding THUMBS UP!!

is this heaven?

Author: timlastik from Turkey
15 January 2007

Totally illogical.

No one is able to realize how fascinating this movie is until they have the right feeling to watch the inner voice and sense it whenever they reckon it is one of theirs.

The introduction sound and view of the corns behind Kevin Costner's shoulders are perfect.If you build it he will come...

I don't know which part is the best yet.But one of the most touching part is the moment that Doc is crossing the line to save Karin although he knows he could never be a Moonlight Graham again.Afterward everybody congratulates him.This is free will.Thus when the time comes we should make a choice.

Maybe there is some place called heaven, maybe not.If we build it at the right time at the right place, you might have some idea what heaven is.

Everybody should see this movie to understand the flawless value of our lives.Because there would be no other chance.

You'll need Aspirin, not Kleenex

Author: martin-benjamin from United States
15 May 2005

Within about 15 minutes of starting this movie, my wife was begging me to change the channel. I was curious to find out where an early mysterious moment would lead, and I didn't think that the movie could really be as bad as my wife's radar was reporting, so I talked her into staying with it for a little while. Her natural defense mechanisms kicked in, and she was completely asleep by the time we were 1/2 hour into the show.

Stupid me, I went to IMDb and checked out the user opinions, and saw that the reviews were really positive. Thinking that so many good reviews meant that the movie would have to get good by the end, I stuck with it. Many strange, illogical, and disconnected things happen. It all turns out to be a sappy pop-psych religious parable that doesn't work at all on a theological level. Whereas other readers report rivers of tears by the end of the movie, I was holding my head in my hands, pained both by the insipid movie and my stupid decision to stay with it.

On the plus side, it has some nice cinematography. Also, it is not the usual Hollywood movie formula, so at least you can't predict all of the plot elements long before they happen.

I ended up watching the movie all the way through. My wife had a good long Saturday afternoon nap. I'm sure she got the better end of the deal.

Capra meets Serling for 1980's joyously multi genre hankie wetter.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
4 March 2008

Coming back to Field Of Dreams over 20 years after its release finds this particular viewer beaming with happiness that the warmth I felt way back when still washes over me in the same way. Director Phil Alden Robinson (All of Me/Fletch) manages to turn W.P. Kinsella's novel, Shoeless Joe, into a multi genre film with deep emotional heart for both sexes to latch on to. It has a beautiful mix of mythology and family values that come together to realise a dream that ultimately rewards those viewers who are prepared to open themselves up to pure fantasy with a deep emotional core.

It was nominated for best picture in 1989 because it struck a cord with so many people, it's not just the thematic heart of the film that delivers, it's also the actors on show who perfectly realise this delightful tale. Kevin Costner is surrounded by great workers in Ray Liotta, James Earl Jones, Amy Madigan and Burt Lancaster, and he wisely lets these actors dominate the scenes that he shares with them, it's something that is an often forgotten good point of Costner's performances; that he is comfortable to let his co-stars dominate important narrative snatches. However, he is the glue that binds the whole film together, it's quite a naturally engaging performance that rightly gave him the star status he would achieve post release of the film.

As a born and bred Englishman I don't profess to appreciate just how much a way of life Baseball is to Americans, but I do have my own sports in England that I'm happy to dream the dream with in equal measure, and with that I understand all the themes in Field Of Dreams big time. Most of all, though, I can involve myself with its family values, the dream of dreams, and because it's undeniably pure escapist cinema for those who aren't afraid to let their respective guards down for a wee short while, the rewards are many. With a lush James Horner score evocatively layered over the top of it and John Lindley's photography almost ethereal at times, production is suitably in the fantasy realm.

Never twee or over sweet, Field of Dreams is a magical movie in more ways than one. A film that manages to have its cake and eat it and then closes down with one of the most beautiful endings of the 80's. Field of Dreams, still hitting Home Runs after all these years. 9/10

Baseball, science fiction, romance of America

Author: anonymous from SAcramento
6 March 1999

As a casual baseball fan, who does truly love the game, I realized how much I see it as a major symbol of America when I listened to James Earl Jones, aka Terrence Mann, give the soliloquy about the game toward the end of the film. It truly does go on as something basically good and fine, even through the scandals. I cry every time Ray meets John, no matter how much I try to fight it. Who doesn't giggle when Mann enters the corn field, knowing we'd like to go there too?

Who doesn't get the same choking up when Ray realizes that Doc Graham can't play again? Who doesn't remember times that people like Mark have refused to "see" things that require faith.

The casting of this film was true genius. Every single time I watch it, I see more. Unfortunately, when I show it to my seventh grade students, I do have to "zap" out the PTA meeting because of the language. Teachers...it works; the kids love it!

Watch it again and again...for the baseball, for the science fiction, for the metaphors about the game, and for the sheer fun of being a kid again and not worrying if it makes sense!

He was growing something more than just corn...

Author: katt101 from Peoples Free Democratic Republic of Mars
30 May 2005

I won't say that this was the worst movie I have ever seen, because there are sure a lot of stinkers. However this seems to be the worst well reviewed movie. A lot of people thought it was great; I just found it to be moronic. The reluctant corn farmer (played by Kevin Costner) hears voices telling him to build a baseball field in his corn field. He somehow is able to obtain the lights and necessary equipment to do so. Don't even try to make sense of any of the logic in this movie - there isn't any. Once the field is built a bunch of ghost baseball players come out of the cornfields to play ball. However only a few people (probably those who have used LSD) can see them.

Through it all despite the fact that his loss of cropland used to build this ball is going to cause the them to lose the farm Costner grinds on with steely resolve. Farmer Costner's wife played by some actress that I thankfully have never seen before.) supports him all the way with a kind of annoying perkiness and pluck that she must have learned from watching tapes of Kathy Lee Gifford and Katie Couric. As this ludicrous farce progresses Costner drives off to pick up a washed-up hippy author played by James Earl Jones. The character of Jones has nothing to do with the plot of the movie but apparently those who made it just wanted him in the movie. Costner and Jones then pick up the ghost of a ball player turned doctor (played by Burt Lancaster.) Lancaster loved being a doctor but always regretted giving up playing ball now he has a second chance until he save Costners daughter from choking on a hot-dog. She was accidentally pushed off the bleachers by the farmers evil banker brother-in-law who has come to foreclose on the farm's mortgage. Once Lancaster has become a doctor to save the child's life he can no longer play ball. As I wrote before don't even try to figure out this. films logic. Everything ends well however since there are cares lined up in front of the farm to pay 20 dollars to watch ghosts play baseball. the ghost of Costner's character's father, a one time ball player then shows up to play catch with his son - Oh how sweet! The best thing about the movie was that it finally ended. Do not watch this piece of garbage.

Fantastic

Author: B. Caesar Cubillos (CubeJack@aol.com) from El Paso, TX
8 September 2002

I literally bawled like a baby at the end of this movie. It is still easily one of my favorites. Kevin Costner makes great movies about baseball, since this one and Bull Durham are both fantastic. I can't describe the emotions you'll feel during the movie's climax, which I won't ruin for anyone who hasn't yet seen the film.

Perhaps my own issues with my own father made this movie even more personally emotional to me. Anyone who has ever had issues with a parent needs to watch this.

Great performances by James Earl Jones, Amy Madigan, Frank Whaley, Kevin Costner, Ray Liotta and Burt Lancaster. A must see movie, IMO.

Heaven as the place where dreams come true ...

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
30 October 2012

"Field of Dreams" embraces its own poetry with such daringness that only one epithet comes to my mind: perfect.

The film pays a wonderful tribute to baseball, to what the game stands for in American culture. Yet I'm not American and I remember how mesmerized I was by the story, when I saw it the first time with my Dad, when I was only nine. The reason is simple: baseball is the setting, the atmosphere, the reason-to-be of the story, but apart from that, Phil Alden Anderson's masterpiece speaks much more universal statements about life and dreams. And when I saw it on that magical night, I remember we were both enthralled by the opening scene, when Kevin Costner was walking across his cornfield, and heard the mysterious voice whispering to him "If you build it, he will come".

This line was probably the first I ever strongly remembered from a movie. I believe this says a lot about the power of "Field of Dreams": it has the kind of universal appeal that a child can respond to, the idea that the greatest accomplishments can indeed come from nowhere, that we all have some guardian angels guiding our actions and showing us the paths to take. The dream-like escapism is magnificently incarnated through the breathtaking beauty of Iowa's farm, a vast landscape where the colors of the sky marry the sunlight in such a dazzling harmony that it's a mystery that the film didn't get one Oscar nomination for Best Cinematography.

Anyways, when Ray hears the voice, he doesn't know what to do until a very explicit vision finally appears. He understands the message, if he builds a baseball diamond, 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson will come. The film goes deeper on the Oedipal significance of Jackson, who was the idol of John, Ray's father. John Kinsella was more than 50 years older than Ray, and both hardly got any connection apart from their mutual love for baseball. And it's unfortunately through baseball that Ray expressed his hostility by refusing to play catch with his dad and telling him that his hero was a criminal, referring to the White Sox players who were banned when the World Series was fixed in 1919.

And the 'White Sox' scandal is the symbol of what the film is all about: lost dreams. These eight players couldn't play baseball for life, their only dreams were to feel the grass again under their shoes, to breath the wind blowing on the fields and to play, just play. Ray never did anything crazy or substantial in his life -he studied, graduated, lived the sixties, smoked pot, marched then settled in a farm- he believes this is a real opportunity to do something. Ray's biggest fear is to end up like his father who never achieved anything, in a poignant bed conversation with his wife, played by Amy Madigan, Ray decides to build a baseball diamond, no matter how costly it is.

And as silly as the idea sounds, his wife supports him, because she understands the value of marriage is also to encourage the one we love to pursue his dream. Naturally, the film evokes the financial problems and the repercussions on Ray's cornfield but the essential is what happens on the field. And after a few months, when the first baseball player appears, when Jackson (Ray Liotta) discovers the field, we know we're unto something magical, never explored in any other film. "Are you a ghost?" asks little Karin (Gaby Hoffman) with curiosity. "Is this heaven?" he asks in return before leaving for the night, "No, It's Iowa." replies an overwhelmed Costner.

The baseball diamond becomes a sort of intersection between Heaven and Earth, the universal spot where dreams are fulfilled, when second chances are given. As the film progresses, more and more players come to play, and Ray receives new messages from 'the voice': "Ease his pain", "Go the distance". A strange and curious odyssey leads him to an influential writer of the 60's, played by James Earl Jones, and to an ex-baseball player who had only one game before he retired and became a doctor. 'Moonlight' Archie Graham, now dead, would give anything to play baseball again, much more with his hero, 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson, but in fact, just playing the game.

Burt Lancaster delivers his last performance in "Field of Dreams" as Doc Graham, a man who didn't live wondering why he became a doctor, but what if he played one more time in his life, how thrilling it would be. The Doc is dead since 1972 but Ray finds him while wondering in the streets, and then hitchhiking as a young rookie played by Frank Whaley. At this point, we don't ask questions, we don't wonder why this or that happens, it's all part of the same irrational logic, something guided by mysterious forces. The voice, the vision, the ghosts, we accept them because they're positive, because we feel something magical ought to happen.

And magical is an understatement, from the wonderful speech delivered by Jones' unique voice to the last encounter that gives the key to all the mystery surrounding the story, "Field of Dreams" ends with the perfect emotional pay-off to one of the most extraordinary journeys into the magic of sport, inspiring the best of human spirit: playing, sharing, connecting: you throw, I catch, giving and taking, the language of the heart in its purest form. It's not just one of the greatest baseball movies, but one of the best sports movie ever made. Still, there's much more in the film.

There's the idea that we all must pursue our dreams and tell people we love what we really feel, that no matter what they achieved or didn't, we love and care for them … because as enchanting and inspiring as "Field of Dreams" is, it's a fantasy and no matter what we build, some will never come.

"Hey rookie... you were good."

Author: (anythingyouwant@temporaryinbox.com) from United States
26 January 2007

Pure magic.

This film, steeped in film legend, is by far one of the best movies Hollywood has ever produced. From the opening line, "If you build it, he will come." to the ending line, "Hey dad... do you want to have a catch?" give me chills every time I watch this movie. Ray Kinsella is played by Kevin Costner (who does a fantastic job I might add), and Terence Mann is played by James Earl Jones; the man could talk about taxes and I would give him 5 stars. Apart from being the greatest baseball movie ever made, this film is profoundly original, riddling one with questions such as: "Where do I go when I die?" and "Do miracles really happen?" It adds elements into it to make the film boundless without the watcher knowing it. I can relate this film to Back to the Future; it transports you to another time where everything is a coincidence, and nothing is impossible. However, nothing in this movie comes close to Burt Lancaster's performance as Archie "Moonlight" Graham. Every line the man gives is profoundly emotional and acted to perfection. I need to choke back tears even more so now, because I have seen the movie a couple times and know what is coming. Dr. Graham gives up his dream to save Kinsella's girl Karen; never able to come back after he steps off of the baseball field. Ray's line, "Oh my God, you can't go back." just brings a smile to the old man's face as he says, "It's all right, it's all right." Perfect. The only word I can use to describe this film. For although some say it has its flaws, historical, factual, or whatever, I believe that this movie more than makes up for them by dragging one into it's world and not letting go. I will give everyone this advice, go home and watch this movie. It doesn't matter if you have seen it before (that may even make it better) go rent it or buy it please. This movie deserves to been seen by as many people as it can.

"Go the distance."