The Dream Team (1989) Poster

47 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Neat little comedy.
Glenn Andreiev19 November 2001
In the hands of lesser a director and less talented actors, THE DREAM TEAM's plot about four mental patients loose in Manhattan would be silly and childish. Here, it is funny as hell, you stayed glued to the screen. The four patients are Michael Keaton, as a loose tempered but charming liar, Peter Boyle as an ex-executive who now believes he is Jesus Christ, Christopher Lloyd as a compulsive neat-nick and Stephen Furst as a catatonic TV commercial/Baseball fan.

Their run-ins with unsuspecting New Yorkers come fast and fresh, no re-heated gags here. Look for a young perky Lorraine Bracco and Broadway great Phillip Bosco in supporting parts.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rise, my son, and walk!
billyfish25 June 2003
If you like Michael Keaton, Peter Boyle, or Christopher Lloyd, you will like this film. That's guaranteed. But even if you are not fans of the aforementioned talents, I think you will still enjoy this movie.

Keaton is at his sarcastic best with his role as a guy with anger problems. It's easy to empathize with him, especially in the situations he finds himself in. I don't know of any other contemporary actor who could deliver these lines with the same effect.

Similarly, Peter Boyle surpasses his performance in "Young Frankenstein" with his comedic portrayal of a man who believes he is Jesus Christ. His walk through a hospital is not to be missed!

Lloyd plays the control-freak authority figure wannabe with finesse. It would be difficult indeed to watch this talented comedic actor play a straight role.

Stephen Furst is excellent as a man who can only speak in baseball metaphors. Where the hell has he been since Animal House?

The plot is weak and quite predictable, but the lines delivered along the way are worth the effort. One of the great sleepers.
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Peter Boyle is a comic genius
drosse6723 December 2003
I mean it. After seeing him in this movie, and Young Frankensteeen, and the occasional episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, I can't take him seriously in movies like Joe, Outland and even as Wizard in Taxi Driver. His performance in this movie is absolutely hilarious. I've always had a soft spot for this underrated gem. It's basically a screwball version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," using that movie's famous baseball game scene as its starting point: An easy-going doctor takes his patients to a Yankees game, and runs into trouble on the way there. And I don't really mind the crime subplot here as much as I did in Three Men and a Baby. Everyone shines here--Michael Keaton (his reference to the World Trade Center was funny then, bittersweet now); Christopher Lloyd; Boyle; even Lorraine Bracco, in a small role. And it's full of memorable quotes. This movie never fails to put a smile on my face.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I liked it
Angus-919 March 1999
The characters in this movie are well done and well acted. The comedy is great. Michael Keaton has some great one-liners and facial expressions. You can really relate to his situation. One of the better comedies I've seen.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I was with Elvis, and my dog told me to do it.....
FlashCallahan13 February 2010
Mike is a tad delusional. Harry believes he's a doctor. Jack is an ad executive who believes Jesus is speaking to him. Albert is an adult who occasionally wets himself.

When they are taken to a ball game by Dr. Weitzman they witness a murder and Weitzman is attacked and hospitalised.

The four crazies find that Weitzman will be murdered as a witness and no one believes four mental patients.

They have to both use and overcome their delusions in order to save the only decent doctor who is treating them, with both the police and the killers looking for them....

I was Thirteen the first time i saw this movie, and i instantly fell in love with it. Having not seen in in nearly 17 years, i was very worried that one of my favourite movies as a child would not have the same effect now, than it did in 1992.

Although it has dated quite a bit, it is still laugh out loud funny, and quite surprisingly touching in place. Understandably, the best parts of the film are when the four are bickering. It's consistently funny, and the lines are funny and never fail to raise a smile.

Keaton is in full on wacko mode in this, and is probably one of his best forgotten roles. Lloyd can play straight and yet be hilarious, but carries the films most humanistic element. If the scene where he visits his wife and daughter doesn't bring a lump in your throat, you need your brain checking.

it's a very sunshine orientated movies, with lots of quotable lines, and if you are feeling down, this is the sort of film you want to watch to brighten your day.

it's very easy to watch, goes along quite breezily, and most importantly, never gets boring.

highly recommended.

plus Keaton has an amazing mullet.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stephen Furst needs to get more roles
Lee Eisenberg2 October 2006
It's good to know that some movies are just big excuses to be goofy. "The Dream Team" is one such example. We get introduced to four mental patients: Billy Caulfield (Michael Keaton) is actually close to normal, Henry Sikorsky (Christopher Lloyd) believes himself to be a doctor, Jack McDermott (Peter Boyle) believes that he's talking to Jesus, and Albert Ianuzzi (Stephen Furst (yes, Flounder from "Animal House"!)) barely does anything. When their psychiatrist takes them to New York, he gets attacked by the mafia and the four patients are left to fend for themselves. From there, it's basically two hours of everyone being as loony as possible. Probably the best scene is the box scene; I nearly died laughing when that scene came up.

Anyway, this just goes to show what one can do for comedy. It's not to be missed. Also starring Dennis Boutsikaris and Lorraine Bracco.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lunatics On The Loose
ccthemovieman-127 March 2008
This was a humorous film about a small group of mental patients who are let loose in New York City for a day. They are "Jack" (Peter Boyle), "Henry" (Christopher Lloyd), "Billy" (Michael Keaton).and "Albert" (Stephen Furst). Actually, they are taken to a ballgame and the doctor in charge of them is kidnapped there, after he witnesses a crime. The boys are are now on their own in a "lost in New York" scenario.

Mainly, this film is a bunch of sight gags more than a cohesive story. Boyle, Lloyd and Keaton are all, by now, well-known actors who bring a lot of life to their characters here. It's a lot of silliness but, for the most part, works and provides a lot of laughs. As a baseball fan, I appreciated Furst's performance best.

Peter Boyle ("Jack McDermott") plays one of several insane people who are "lost in New York" and are out on the streets having a good time. He is a "Jesus freak," which the screenwriters consider nuts, of course. He and other churchgoers are pictured in the movies as lunatics. Gosh, what a shock Hollywood would do that. They also have crooked cops in here - another shock.

The film still had a lot of funny moments, thanks to the actors and the interesting premise of mental patients fending for themselves in the big city. It's total lunacy.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great movie
dmrc19 February 2005
Every member of my family loved this movie and has watched it at least twice. We just enjoy the laughs and hummer. It's great entertainment. The movie can be watched by any member and age group. A 10 year enjoys it as much as an 80 year old.

Don't understand why some comments say it missed the point etc, I think that sometimes we should have entertainment just for entertainment sake and this move fulfills the bill admirably. There are other venues to deal with mental health issues but this movie in its innocent manner certainly helps understanding not the other way around. Am looking at this very moment to buy a copy to give to a friend.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than expected
MovieAddict201630 November 2004
Funny comedy about a group of mental patients who take a trip to the big city under the supervision of their doctor, and wind up being framed for a murder they didn't commit. Far-fetched and far from great, but made enjoyable by a few funny fish-out-of-water/mistaken-identity sequences and the spirited performances by Michael Keaton, Christopher Lloyd and Peter Boyle: all three of whom, it may be noted, seem to have lost their careers in recent time...but were at the top of their games during the era and are certainly at home here in a film that is never quite as good as it could be but is nevertheless a whole lot better than I ever expected it would be.

I like the beginning sequence with Ray Charles' "Hit the Road Jack" over the credits. I don't know why - maybe because I saw it years ago and it's just stuck with me - but I always think of this when I picture the film in my head.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny and Heartwarming
gritfrombray-11 March 2007
Saw this and realized it was a homage to 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'. Really enjoyed it though, and the guys were brilliant. Keaton is his usual brilliant self as is Christopher Lloyd, who I might add, is really hilarious in this. Peter Boyle puts in a fine performance too. The whole story was a relatively simple one and not confusing. Comedy rarely gets this good, from a silly point of view. Dialog is real good, and listen to the constant jokes, which are genuinely funny! Anyone slating this would do well to remember, it is a comedy! Meant to be a farce! With lines like "We are all naked in the eyes of the Lord!" and "Everything is so disorganized", comedy fans'll love this!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Light, insane, extremely funny 80's comedy!
Carson Trent19 January 2006
This is comedy at its best, and also has that 80's feel,a good story, specific to comedies until the 90's when they started to rarely have an interesting one.Four mental patients suddenly find themselves alone on the run in the Big Apple and "better get sane real goddamn fast" , as they are being accused of attacking their psychiatrist -what a great premise for a comedy.Michael Keaton was born for this part, the "mental patient with a history of violence".Peter Boyle is also great as an ad executive who believes Jesus is speaking to him, Lloyd and Furst are also great.Combined with the great dialog, delivers one of the best comedies made in the 80's.

Memorable quote:"Ah, it's great to be young and insane!"
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"It's great to be young and insane..."
shuvcat-116 January 2006
One of my favorites of Christopher Lloyd's films, though I came to love the ensemble casting of Michael Keaton, Peter Boyle and Stephen Furst. Keaton is great in this; he filmed this the same year he was filming the first "Batman" movie. Also a very fine performance by Dennis Boutsikaris as the kindly, ill-fated doctor. (My mother and I were always surprised when we saw him in movies afterward; he seemingly has not played anything but a**holes and arrogant lawyers since. This seems to be the one and only halfway likable character he's played.) You have to admit, if mental hospitals were this accommodating and peaceful in real life, being insane wouldn't be such a bad gig. :) I almost wanted to have myself committed by the end of this. (That's perhaps not the glowing recommendation of this film that I mean it to be....) It's like if Lloyd's other "looney bin" movie "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" had a happy ending. A gentle, harmless film to sit back and relax with. Watch for the cute yet slightly eerie reference to the World Trade Center. Another good New York crime comedy to watch back to back with this is "Quick Change" starring Bill Murray, Geena Davis and Randy Quaid.
A Quest for Sanity
DAVID SIM23 January 2004
Some films that have been forgotten about and left in the past are interesting to me, because they can be surprisingly entertaining and thought provoking. The Dream Team is such a film, and is one of the great sleeper hits of the late 1980's.

A remake of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", The Dream Team is about four mental patients who have been institutionalised for different reasons.

Billy Caulfield (Michael Keaton) is a compulsive liar with a violent temper. Despite his inability to control himself at times, he does have a firmer grip on reality than the other members of his group.

Henry Sikorsky (Christopher Lloyd) is a neatness freak with delusions of being a doctor. He prefers to focus on the problems of others rather than confront his own, concerning his estrangement from his wife and daughter.

Jack McDermott (Peter Boyle) is a former advertising executive with a Messiah complex. He likes to believe he is Jesus Christ so he can elevate himself above his own personal failings.

Albert Ianuzzi (Stephen Furst) is a couch potato obsessed with baseball, and has been catatonic for much of his life. Although he is the most withdrawn member of the group, he is aware of what is going on around him. He just doesn't choose to participate.

This disparate group of people seem to have nothing in common on the surface, but their therapist, Dr Weitzman (Dennis Boutsikaris) likes to believe they are not too far gone to reclaim their own identities.

He wants to bring them into the outside world for a field trip to Yankee Stadium for a baseball game. They are understandably nervous about being out in the real world again, but are willing to give it a try.

Unfortunately, Dr Weitzman is mugged by two crooked cops on the way, and our heroes have to fend for themselves.

The Dream Team is both funny and touching, as they have difficulty coping with how much the world has changed while they've been in hospital. The four of them have to learn to cooperate with each other to save Dr Weitzman from the cops.

Michael Keaton gets a lot of the best lines, as he can be funny, disturbed and troubled all at the same time. His live-wire performance is perfectly attuned to the manic energy he brings to the character.

Christopher Lloyd is hysterical as he picks up every piece of litter off of the streets of New York. The scene where he goes to see his wife and daughter for the first time is my favourite part, and is very touching when he discovers he hasn't lost them.

Peter Boyle gets a lot of funny scenes, especially when he starts preaching at a Black church, and when he goes back to the advertising agency ("Wa wa wa wa").

Stephen Furst doesn't get to say much, but he does play an important part because he is the only one who witnessed what happened to Dr Weitzman. He just can't communicate properly what happened.

It's nice to see how they gradually begin to reclaim parts of their identities as they focus together for the common goal. They draw strength from each other, and begin the slow process of rebuilding parts of their sanity again.

The ending is quite satisfying, because although they are not cured, they have gone a long way towards becoming useful members of society again. Its a pity they never made a sequel because it would have been interesting to see more of their recovery. The four actors have got such a great chemistry, and Dr Weitzman is a likable character because of his faith in them that they may be released one day.

Look out for an early appearance from Lorraine Bracco, best known as my favourite character Dr Melfi in the Sopranos. She makes quite an impression as Billy's feisty ex-girlfriend Riley. Another example of how forgotten films can contain hidden surprises.

Definitely one of my favourite films.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny
afncsu6 October 2003
This movie is very funny. It's one of those movies that I don't think the company had any awards in mind while making it, they just wanted to have fun. Movies like this are the best kind. I think Peter Doyle and Stephen Foster did great as supporting actors.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Waste of potential
Maziun4 August 2013
It's always a shame when a good idea is wasted . A comedy about crazy people who are left on their own in big city ? In the right hands this could be a real fun movie . Just imagine the possibilities… Unfortunately the writers failed me . They weren't able to create interesting characters . I mean seriously from all those mental diseases they couldn't pick up interesting ones ? It's no wonder that jokes here are so lame and unimaginative . How can they be when our heroes aren't funny and interesting . What a waste of good actors . Michael Keaton ("Batman") , Christopher Lloyd ("Back to the future") , Peter Boyle ("Friends of Eddie Coyle") and Stephen Furst ("Animal house") deserved better .

The good thing is that I don't think anyone should feel offended by this movie despite a rather risky subject it deals with.

What a waste. Imagine what John Landis with a right script could do with this one … So sad. We could have a great comedy instead of forgettable Sunday afternoon movie. I give it 2/10.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a crazy line-up!
anchoreddown9 December 2008
Out of no-where at Best Buy I found this movie. Liking all four of the actors that play the characters in the nut house, I bought it.

You basically have the baseball nut who can't talk, the imaginative one who can fib just about anyone, the doctor who is extremely tightly and the Son of God who walks around the institution naked.

Put these four together and you get a riot of laughs.

Personally, Christopher Lloyd and Michael Keaton are the funniest.

Peter Boyle alone can take the show, no doubt. One of his funnier scenes is when he starts taking his clothes off in front of a church congregation AND thankfully was escorted out before he could finish.

Stephen Furst I haven't seen as much and I have NOT seen Animal House yet. However I did see him in Midnight Madness and thought he did a good job.

for comedy at its best and for something completely random, like Monty Python is, this is the movie for you
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
**** out of 5
casey_choas6617 July 2002
This movie has the perfect dose of comedy, heart warming touches and sentimentality to make it an instant joy. It is the story of four mental patients, one who can't speack, one who is a neat freak, one who believes he is Jesus and one who can't control his temper as their doctors decides to take them on a field trip to a baseball game. But when their doctor is beaten up by a pair of corrupt police men they decide to go out on there own to find their doc and help catch the people who hurt him. The joy ride begins when they are framed for the crime. This movie is heart warming and touching in ever sense of the word and it is also very funny. The cast are all great as the loveable loonies especially Peter Boyle as the man who thinks he is Jesus. This is great family entertainment that will guarentee a smile from people of all ages.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
fun group
SnoopyStyle30 April 2017
Billy Caufield (Michael Keaton) is a delusional writer with anger issues. Henry Sikorsky (Christopher Lloyd) avoids his family and pretends to be a doctor. Jack McDermott (Peter Boyle) is the religious former ad exec who likes to walk around naked. Albert Ianuzzi (Stephen Furst) has trouble communicating. Dr. Weitzman (Dennis Boutsikaris) is treating them at Cedarbrook Hospital. He takes them on a field trip to the Yankees game. Albert pretends to pee and makes a run for it. Weitzman goes looking for him and stumbles upon a murder. He is knocked unconscious and hospitalized while his patients are left on their own. Billy reconnects with girlfriend Riley (Lorraine Bracco). The guys discover that two corrupt cops (Philip Bosco, James Remar) are trying to kill Weitzman but nobody believes the four runaway mental patients.

The four leads are a fun group of comedic actors. This is set up for a hilarious irreverent road trip. It doesn't always come together but there is some fun to be had. The writing is not that sharp but the guys are able to pull out a few laughs. After Weitzman is taken to the hospital, the guys split up for about fifteen minutes. That's not the best idea since building up their fun chemistry is half the battle. The cast's full potential is never fully realized.
Hilarious and under rated
John Barlow11 September 2011
This film is about four mental patients who's doctor disappears while taking them on a trip. 'Dr Weitzman' witnesses a murder and is attacked by the killers- who happen to be cops. The patients have to get to their doctor before the two cops do.

This is an extremely under rated film that deserves more. It features Michael Keaton, Christopher Lloyd, Peter Boyle and Stephen Furst, all of which are brilliant in their rolls. There is not much to the plot, mainly because it focuses on the characters, both individuality and as a group.

This is an excellent comedy and in my opinion should be on the list for best comedy film. If you have not seen it, you are missing out!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I drove the moneylenders from the temple. I can handle a ten-spot.
Spikeopath18 August 2011
The Dream Team is directed by Howard Zieff and written by John Connolly and David Loucka. It stars Michael Keaton, Christopher Lloyd, Peter Boyle, Stephen Furst and Lorraine Bracco. Music is by David McHugh and cinematography by Adam Holender.

Billy Caulfield (Keaton)-compulsive liar and prone to violent outbursts; Henry Sikorsky (Lloyd)-tidy freak who thinks he's a doctor; Jack McDermot (Boyle)-thinks he's Christ; Albert Ianuzzi (Furst)-near catatonic personality who can only speak in sports jargon.

There are people, and perhaps even that little old angel on your shoulder from time to time, that tell you that one shouldn't make fun of the afflicted; case in point folk with mental issues. So it be with this here amusing picture, a film that basically sees four odd balls let loose in New York as they try to find their missing doctor and foil the couple of dirty cops who want to silence said doctor for good. Yet Zieff's film is neither crass or stupid, the comedy is well drawn, with the characters themselves not the danger to society kind, but the misfit sort who are struggling to fit into said society. Looking in at it a bit deeper, film has valid points about acceptance, messages about understanding, friendships and collective group unity being powerful. Even the effects of work pressure is given a sardonic glance. It's not like the makers set out to offend, pic never even sails close to the wind, evidently they clearly set up to entertain and amuse, and that goal is achieved royally because The Dream Team is awfully funny.

Does Ed go out of the window? Let's have a show of hands. You can vote too, Ed. This is America.

It's a smart collection of actors playing the "afflicted" guys, four actors very comfortable with each other and enjoying the benefits of a strong script. Each one is handed great comedy moments to act out, neither left out and neither disappointing. Boyle arguably steals the film by way of some excellent visual comedy, but it's most likely Keaton's caustic observations and one line zingers that will leave the lasting impression. The final quarter gets a bit mechanical as the intrepid "nut buddies" finally bond and the film shifts to a basic chase/race against the clock affair, but the gags still come and you may find you are still laughing about something that was said earlier anyway! Bracco isn't given a lot to do, which practically renders this as being an ultimate buddy buddy guy flick, and the two "dirty" coppers played by James Remar and Philip Bosco are by the numbers villains. Small moans only, though, and in the name of good comedy, who cares really?

It's great to be young and insane! Hell Yeah. 8/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lorraine Bracco in an ingénue role
btm116 February 2011
Washington Post reviewer Rita Kempley called the Dream Team "a surprisingly amiable romp about a zany quartet of escaped mental patients who flew out of the cuckoo's nest." I agree. But it also interested me because it features Lorraine Bracco in an ingénue role 15 years before she became famous as Tony's psychiatrist in HBO's "The Sopranos." Her delightful voice/speech is so recognizable!!!

It would seem natural to compare this to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," but that would be like comparing an AA minor league team to the New York Yankees. Cuckoo's Nest had an outstanding script based on an outstanding novel, while "The Dream Team" is an enjoyable B-movie. Moreover, Michael Keaton is good but he's no Jack Nicholson.

Christopher Lloyd (playing the nut who thinks he is a psychiatrist) is excellent. I also appreciated the performances of Peter Boyle (he thinks he is Jesus Christ but preaches nakedness), and Stephen Furst (he is a semi-catatonic who speaks only in baseball announcer clichés.)
Not too bad.
Peach-229 November 1998
I enjoyed The Dream Team quite a bit. It was funny and entertaining. Michael Keaton alone is worth watching this one. Not a bad film for a rainy day.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of a rare breed ...
ListerUK20014 December 2001
This film is one of a rare breed of movies that sets itself a small scale ambition and concerntrates more on the characters than the gloss. It's aim is to be nothing more than entertaining. There are hints and illusions to having a message about the reasons the main characters lose their sanity, but it's not heavy handed. There is a thin streak of wit throughout the film, but it is hardly hysterical. There is a streak of drama throughout the film, but it is hardly melodramatic. The performances are all fine. Keaton, Boyle and Lloyd are, however, exceptional in their roles. They maintain a constantly funny/ sad performance all the way through the film. This is an above average film. The wit is a little sparse in places and some scenes are dull. 7/10. See it for the great acting on display.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don't want him next to me he smells like tunafish!!
jeff-8927 November 1999
I must say this movie had a really good cast. Michael Keaton did the best job though. Peter Boyle did great as a guy who was obsessed with god. Poor Albert played by Stephen Furst....didn't talk much but loved baseball and when he did say something he would say something like big inning and keaton says that's a definet yes. You've got to learn to speak albert. Overall a really great movie. I give this **** stars out of 5.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Keaton, Lloyd and Boyle running loose in New York
blanche-230 May 2006
Some ferocious talents - Michael Keaton, Christopher Lloyd, and Peter Boyle, supported by a talented cast - star in this comedy about four mental hospital patients who roam New York freely after their doctor is severely beaten. One of them (Keaton) has severe anger issues, another thinks he's a doctor (Lloyd), and one thinks he's Jesus Christ (Boyle) and constantly quotes the Bible. The fourth never talks. Their well-meaning psychiatrist (Dennis Boutsikaris) drives them to New York to attend a Yankees game. When he escorts Albert, the non-talker, into an alley to relieve himself, he witnesses two bad cops killing a third and is severely injured before the good-guy police arrive. Albert takes off, but he can't tell the others what happened. After waiting in the van for a while, they all leave for parts unknown. Boyle ends up in a revival meeting giving testimony as Jesus, Keaton looks up his old girlfriend (an almost unrecognizable Lorraine Bracco) - soon, two sets of police are looking for them - with different motives.

Though I certainly enjoyed this film, I found it a little slow getting started, and felt it could have been funnier, though the very beginning is great. It does pick up, however, and the acting is superb all around. Keaton is great - one wonders what happened to his career, and why we don't see his lively presence as much in films nowadays. Lloyd manages to be so serious that it's funny but also has a poignant scene with his family. Boyle has the funniest role and he's absolutely hilarious. The ending is very sweet.

The movie doesn't make any profound comments on mental disorders but does ask who's crazy in this world and what we're willing to believe about certain people. It also makes the point that by interaction and someone caring, disturbed people can start on the road to healing. Very good and well worth seeing.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this