IMDb > The Dream Team (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Rise, my son, and walk!

Author: billyfish from Bogota, Colombia
25 June 2003

If you like Michael Keaton, Peter Boyle, or Christopher Lloyd, you will like this film. That's guaranteed. But even if you are not fans of the aforementioned talents, I think you will still enjoy this movie.

Keaton is at his sarcastic best with his role as a guy with anger problems. It's easy to empathize with him, especially in the situations he finds himself in. I don't know of any other contemporary actor who could deliver these lines with the same effect.

Similarly, Peter Boyle surpasses his performance in "Young Frankenstein" with his comedic portrayal of a man who believes he is Jesus Christ. His walk through a hospital is not to be missed!

Lloyd plays the control-freak authority figure wannabe with finesse. It would be difficult indeed to watch this talented comedic actor play a straight role.

Stephen Furst is excellent as a man who can only speak in baseball metaphors. Where the hell has he been since Animal House?

The plot is weak and quite predictable, but the lines delivered along the way are worth the effort. One of the great sleepers.

Neat little comedy.

Author: Glenn Andreiev (gandreiev@aol.com) from Huntington, NY
19 November 2001

In the hands of lesser a director and less talented actors, THE DREAM TEAM's plot about four mental patients loose in Manhattan would be silly and childish. Here, it is funny as hell, you stayed glued to the screen. The four patients are Michael Keaton, as a loose tempered but charming liar, Peter Boyle as an ex-executive who now believes he is Jesus Christ, Christopher Lloyd as a compulsive neat-nick and Stephen Furst as a catatonic TV commercial/Baseball fan.

Their run-ins with unsuspecting New Yorkers come fast and fresh, no re-heated gags here. Look for a young perky Lorraine Bracco and Broadway great Phillip Bosco in supporting parts.

Peter Boyle is a comic genius

Author: drosse67 from Virginia
23 December 2003

I mean it. After seeing him in this movie, and Young Frankensteeen, and the occasional episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, I can't take him seriously in movies like Joe, Outland and even as Wizard in Taxi Driver. His performance in this movie is absolutely hilarious. I've always had a soft spot for this underrated gem. It's basically a screwball version of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," using that movie's famous baseball game scene as its starting point: An easy-going doctor takes his patients to a Yankees game, and runs into trouble on the way there. And I don't really mind the crime subplot here as much as I did in Three Men and a Baby. Everyone shines here--Michael Keaton (his reference to the World Trade Center was funny then, bittersweet now); Christopher Lloyd; Boyle; even Lorraine Bracco, in a small role. And it's full of memorable quotes. This movie never fails to put a smile on my face.

Stephen Furst needs to get more roles

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
2 October 2006

It's good to know that some movies are just big excuses to be goofy. "The Dream Team" is one such example. We get introduced to four mental patients: Billy Caulfield (Michael Keaton) is actually close to normal, Henry Sikorsky (Christopher Lloyd) believes himself to be a doctor, Jack McDermott (Peter Boyle) believes that he's talking to Jesus, and Albert Ianuzzi (Stephen Furst (yes, Flounder from "Animal House"!)) barely does anything. When their psychiatrist takes them to New York, he gets attacked by the mafia and the four patients are left to fend for themselves. From there, it's basically two hours of everyone being as loony as possible. Probably the best scene is the box scene; I nearly died laughing when that scene came up.

Anyway, this just goes to show what one can do for comedy. It's not to be missed. Also starring Dennis Boutsikaris and Lorraine Bracco.

Lunatics On The Loose

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
27 March 2008

This was a humorous film about a small group of mental patients who are let loose in New York City for a day. They are "Jack" (Peter Boyle), "Henry" (Christopher Lloyd), "Billy" (Michael Keaton).and "Albert" (Stephen Furst). Actually, they are taken to a ballgame and the doctor in charge of them is kidnapped there, after he witnesses a crime. The boys are are now on their own in a "lost in New York" scenario.

Mainly, this film is a bunch of sight gags more than a cohesive story. Boyle, Lloyd and Keaton are all, by now, well-known actors who bring a lot of life to their characters here. It's a lot of silliness but, for the most part, works and provides a lot of laughs. As a baseball fan, I appreciated Furst's performance best.

Peter Boyle ("Jack McDermott") plays one of several insane people who are "lost in New York" and are out on the streets having a good time. He is a "Jesus freak," which the screenwriters consider nuts, of course. He and other churchgoers are pictured in the movies as lunatics. Gosh, what a shock Hollywood would do that. They also have crooked cops in here - another shock.

The film still had a lot of funny moments, thanks to the actors and the interesting premise of mental patients fending for themselves in the big city. It's total lunacy.

I was with Elvis, and my dog told me to do it.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
13 February 2010

Mike is a tad delusional. Harry believes he's a doctor. Jack is an ad executive who believes Jesus is speaking to him. Albert is an adult who occasionally wets himself.

When they are taken to a ball game by Dr. Weitzman they witness a murder and Weitzman is attacked and hospitalised.

The four crazies find that Weitzman will be murdered as a witness and no one believes four mental patients.

They have to both use and overcome their delusions in order to save the only decent doctor who is treating them, with both the police and the killers looking for them....

I was Thirteen the first time i saw this movie, and i instantly fell in love with it. Having not seen in in nearly 17 years, i was very worried that one of my favourite movies as a child would not have the same effect now, than it did in 1992.

Although it has dated quite a bit, it is still laugh out loud funny, and quite surprisingly touching in place. Understandably, the best parts of the film are when the four are bickering. It's consistently funny, and the lines are funny and never fail to raise a smile.

Keaton is in full on wacko mode in this, and is probably one of his best forgotten roles. Lloyd can play straight and yet be hilarious, but carries the films most humanistic element. If the scene where he visits his wife and daughter doesn't bring a lump in your throat, you need your brain checking.

it's a very sunshine orientated movies, with lots of quotable lines, and if you are feeling down, this is the sort of film you want to watch to brighten your day.

it's very easy to watch, goes along quite breezily, and most importantly, never gets boring.

highly recommended.

plus Keaton has an amazing mullet.

I liked it

Author: Angus-9 from Seattle, WA
19 March 1999

The characters in this movie are well done and well acted. The comedy is great. Michael Keaton has some great one-liners and facial expressions. You can really relate to his situation. One of the better comedies I've seen.

A great movie

Author: dmrc from Australia
19 February 2005

Every member of my family loved this movie and has watched it at least twice. We just enjoy the laughs and hummer. It's great entertainment. The movie can be watched by any member and age group. A 10 year enjoys it as much as an 80 year old.

Don't understand why some comments say it missed the point etc, I think that sometimes we should have entertainment just for entertainment sake and this move fulfills the bill admirably. There are other venues to deal with mental health issues but this movie in its innocent manner certainly helps understanding not the other way around. Am looking at this very moment to buy a copy to give to a friend.

Better than expected

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
30 November 2004

Funny comedy about a group of mental patients who take a trip to the big city under the supervision of their doctor, and wind up being framed for a murder they didn't commit. Far-fetched and far from great, but made enjoyable by a few funny fish-out-of-water/mistaken-identity sequences and the spirited performances by Michael Keaton, Christopher Lloyd and Peter Boyle: all three of whom, it may be noted, seem to have lost their careers in recent time...but were at the top of their games during the era and are certainly at home here in a film that is never quite as good as it could be but is nevertheless a whole lot better than I ever expected it would be.

I like the beginning sequence with Ray Charles' "Hit the Road Jack" over the credits. I don't know why - maybe because I saw it years ago and it's just stuck with me - but I always think of this when I picture the film in my head.

Funny and Heartwarming

Author: gritfrombray-1 from Ireland
1 March 2007

Saw this and realized it was a homage to 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'. Really enjoyed it though, and the guys were brilliant. Keaton is his usual brilliant self as is Christopher Lloyd, who I might add, is really hilarious in this. Peter Boyle puts in a fine performance too. The whole story was a relatively simple one and not confusing. Comedy rarely gets this good, from a silly point of view. Dialog is real good, and listen to the constant jokes, which are genuinely funny! Anyone slating this would do well to remember, it is a comedy! Meant to be a farce! With lines like "We are all naked in the eyes of the Lord!" and "Everything is so disorganized", comedy fans'll love this!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]