IMDb > Time of the Gypsies (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dom za vesanje

Time of the Gypsies More at IMDbPro »Dom za vesanje (original title)

Page 9 of 29: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Very Original and Outstanding

Author: Kenneth H from United States
27 July 2012

In the beginning I wasn't sure of how a foreign gypsy kinda movie would be like, I extremely liked it for its whole story and characters as the film progressed. Specifically the grandmother and the one who deceives them, and its astonishing that the actor is way older than the character he plays without being noticeable at all. The times that the scenes felt like a dream or magical were played out great into believing it was real to the character. You even start to wonder about the whole family like if you were attached to them since the film gets pretty dark midway. The character's pet turkey was a humorous great symbol, and I found it quite interesting that the whole movie was like a whole circle. I still even have some questions about it, but that's what great movies do and it's original.

My ideas and meaning

Author: daisy_villagrana from United States
27 July 2012

This film gave me a strong meaning about the importance of family and illusions. In this film it expressed to me how family becomes the main support of a person. What I understood from the film was how illusions can be destroyed by corruption and lies. I think part of life is dreaming and trying to make them reality but is hard to obtain what you want when are others destroy those illusions. Another message I got from the movie was that you can be treated differently because of what you are. I feel this film gave me emotional feeling of hope because it made me understand that life itself is more than a reality of tragedy that you can loose illusions but in life there also good things like family that is what gives you hope to keep on going.

Superb Character Devlopment

Author: Arturo Folino (FOLINO_ARTURO_GIO@STUDENT.SMC.EDU) from Santa Monica
27 July 2012

We follow the protagonist, Perhan, through extreme life changes and consequently develop a relationship with him. While watching this movie, I would find myself outwardly reacting to every scene (whether it be smiling or the typical "no, don't do it!"). This movie draws out powerful emotions from its audience.

I find the script and character development of Perhan extremely effective. It is truly amazing how such a basic character can be influenced by such hardship and transform into a complex/psychologically rooted person. For every action that was acted out, there was a methodical and logical train of thought. We hold Perhan's hand through his entire journey.

Wonderful movie, I am so thankful to have watched it.

Magical Realism at its best

Author: kyle-oloughlin89 from United States
26 July 2012

I am not sure that there is another film out there that has made me feel so close with the characters. In time of the gypsies within 5 minutes you feel as you are right next to these people in their struggle to adapt and survive in the world. I really enjoyed how the film didn't show a bias towards one culture or another, just the differences. In this film you see what greed can do to ruin you. I enjoyed seeing the main characters struggles with his moral values and what he eventually does to make money and "fame" from his fellow gypsies. I took it as a big statement of not letting material things change who you are. I really enjoyed the use of magical realism in this film. It was to the point of me having to discuss it with friends to really see how many instincts there were in this film. They really are very hard to realize once you get emerged with this movie. It was a great job, especially because it was one of the first films i personally have seen with the use of magical realism. Throughout the movie I felt as if I was putting myself in the same sort of position asking if in the same situation how would i handle it. I also liked the background love story, some may not see it as that, but i definitely believed that the reason Perhan changed so much was to win over Azra and her family. I also enjoyed the constant conflict form the uncle in the film and the face that it seemed to have little to no shock factor for the family. Overall I definitely recommend this film its a great way to exposure yourself to other cultures and beliefs.

Greed Is Bad, Ignorance Is Worse

Author: Gabe Marvis from United States
26 July 2012

"Time of The Gypsies", directed by Emir Kusturica is a film about a young man named Pelhan who hopes to earn riches with a child slaver name Ahmed. Yet, when Pelhan returns home to find his lover is pregnant, his home is not built as promised, and his sister has not had her legs fixed, madness and anger drive him to fix all of the problems he has created.

After seeing Time of The Gypsies, I felt emotionally saddened that Pelhan, a promising and charming young man, had to suffer from the hand of poverty and ignorance. The director, Kusturica, does an excellent job in portraying his ignorance (Ahmed knows where he hides his money and Ahmed never builds his house or fixes his sister). These sad occurrences are the direct result of a stupid boy whom is raised fatherless and must fall onto the shoulders of an evil and manipulative man. Yet, once again, Kusturica twists with our emotions because the character of Ahmed is at moments caring and helpful towards Pelhan, and at other times, selfish and evil. This sense of moral ambivalence affected me emotionally because I was caught between rooting for the Ahmed, and hating his very guts. The same applies to Pelhan, because at the same time he goes on the road to earn money for his family, but at the same time abandons his sister whom falls prey to Ahmed's child slavery.

I believe that the film is trying to tell us that while greed is bad, ignorance is worse. If Pelhan was an educated young man who had not grown up in an impoverished Gypsie town, he could have earned a decent job that would have payed for his sisters operation. Instead, he turned to a child trafficker that lies, steals, and cheats his way to riches. As well, the uncle, Merdzan, plays an important role because his addiction to gambling are the source of problems for the family; he falls debt to Ahmed, destroys the families home, murders Pelhans turkey, and has sex with Pelhans sworn lover. One might even argue that Merdzan is more evil than Ahmed. Maybe, Kusturica was trying to show us that those we hold close hurt us more than the real evil that is portrayed (Such as in the case of Pelhan being fatherless, the Uncle gambling away money, the Grandmother letting Pelhan leave without protest). In fact, most of the characters themselves are weak and incapable of voicing their opinions, leading to more doom and destruction, something that a blend of greed and ignorance will do to a person.

The last note I have about the film is its sequences of magical realism. Pelhan, the main character, has telekinetic powers. Khaditza, the grandmother, can curse people. Perhans son can levitate his mothers body into the sky. While these moments may seem unusual and impossible, it is the way Kusturica directs them that makes the moments seem plausible, as if they are natural to the way of life. For instance, while Pelhan has telekinetic powers, nobody really cares about them because they find them harmless and a usual talent -- and in a way, we believe that it is possible, that this universe could easily be ours. What I am trying to get at is through Magical Realism, Kusturica allows viewers to step back and think about the world, and the magical places such as the village in "Time of The Gypsies" where witches and mind control exist. In fact, it almost seems impossible for it not to exist, for with the amount of weirdness in todays society, one should expect anything.

Time Of The Gypsies is not a film for the average viewer. The pacing is slow at times, the language, is well, Romani, and plot has multiple instances of irrationality and impossibility. Yet, pacing and plot aside, the core emotions you feel, and the moral ambivalence that is is projected, overtakes the side steps and makes you think for once about the film you just saw. Who is the true villain, Ahmed or Pelhan. Is everybody set in stone as "evil or good". Watch the film to get a new taste of a new world. You won't regret it.

Magical Realism

Author: lexismilisic from Los Angeles
26 July 2012

I really enjoyed Kusturica's magical realism in this film with the characters and their powers. Some of my favorite scenes that dealt with this concept were when Perhan's deceased mother visited his sister while they were on the road trip to the hospital and also the scene where Perhan's wife levitates after childbirth. The cinematography, especially of these two particular scenes, is stunning. The delicate white wedding attire and the gust of the wind give each scene a feeling of spiritual peace even though they both represent someone who is forever lost from the physical world; there are emotionally as well as visually intriguing.

The ending, when Perhan decides to go back for revenge, was such a let down. I disliked how his greed overcame him once again, and how it ultimately lead to his death. I wish he could have just kept things simple and went home with his sister and son, to give the story a somewhat fairytale ending. Kusturica's ending of course was a lot more powerful and effective, but I really wished Perhan could have overcame this cycle of greed so that he could be there for his family.

Quick and easy never last

Author: dixon_jerome_pederso from United States
25 July 2012

This movie reminds me of the biblical story the "prodigal son"; yet its twisted. Typical rags to riches story, where crime and quick money are always hand-in-hand (together). It almost never fails when lawlessness is used as a quick fix. Who really benefits from ill gotten gains? This movie brought about a great point of quick money never lasting long. In the Beginning, when the money begins to roll in, everyone wants a piece of the pie; and thus the money becomes the root to all evil. Unfortunately, there are no winners in the end. Because every one suffers lost; as the saying goes, " just as quick as you got it, just as quick you lose it- but 10 fold"

A Beautiful Fusion of Joy and Despair

Author: Brad Wilcox
8 June 2012

A wonderfully crafted movie, this film tells the story of Perhan, a somewhat "touched" young man who initially doesn't even seem to be the protagonist, but sort of an odd secondary character who plays an accordion and has the (somehow unimpressive to those around him) ability to levitate things. This magical realism colors the movie throughout and adds an otherworldly element to the otherwise impoverished, scrapyard world of the gypsies.

Perhan begins very innocent and in love, and the film itself begins very funny and we think we are watching a light-hearted comedy. Maybe we are, but through many trials and turns, our young gypsy becomes a very disillusioned, bitter and desperate man, and we realize we are actually watching a tragedy. And then it gets funny again. It is a brilliant feat, interweaving these two disparate genres, but isn't that just like life? Quite equal parts comic and tragic, at least to those of us who are paying attention.

The story itself is part coming-of-age, part revenge tale, part sit-com, part mystery, and all masterfully done. I can only assume that this film greatly influenced the likes of the Coen Brothers and Charlie Kaufman, who both have such an innate sense of that beautiful fusion of joy and despair. If you are fan of either of the above, I highly recommend Time of the Gypsies.

Absolutely delightful movie - thoroughly entertaining!

Author: zaragibbon
7 June 2012

What makes a great movie? Is it a film that you forget is a film because you feel as if you're there, watching the scene unfold as a bystander? Is it a film that can add supernatural elements to the plot and not disturb the suspension of disbelief? Is it a film that draws the viewer in with a lighthearted, quirky beginning and then slowly reveals a deeper, more complex coming-of-age story?

Time of the gypsies contains all of these things. It explores the joy and complexities of gypsy life as it follows one young man, Perhan, on his journey into manhood. We see how Perhan is forced to make tough choices while grappling with loyalty, love and betrayal. The beautiful soundtrack, haunting and captivating, beckons our attention and yanks us into an unfamiliar world for a wild ride. This film is funny, touching, and highly unusual. It seduces the viewer with humour, elements of magic and superb music - and the subject matter is too intriguing to resist!

All he ever wanted was to play the accordion, be loved and have a home

Author: m-a-giese from United States
7 June 2012

Time of the Gypsies provides a glimpse into a little understood culture. The story revolves around Perhan, a young man and his journey into adulthood. He is romantic, sweet and idealistic. Perhan is challenged to maintain his integrity in a back biting, back stabbing, free for all community. The only true consistency is brutality,betrayal and chaos. Who can be trusted? No one. Diligently, Perhan strives to be a man of substance to win his object of desire. He yearns for a life of stability. Perhan dreams of owning a modest home and to marry his love. Chip by chip, his innocence is chiseled away. He has been defeated and his dreams are shattered. All he ever really wanted was to play his accordion,be loved and to have a real home. Sadly, it was always out of his reach.