IMDb > Time of the Gypsies (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dom za vesanje

Time of the Gypsies More at IMDbPro »Dom za vesanje (original title)

Page 8 of 29: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A Funny Love Story

Author: joseelias207 from United States
16 June 2014

Watching this movie was so entertaining. I was not expecting it. At first the love story between the main character felt very familiar, and I kept thinking I had seen the movie before. After watching this movie. One of my Film professor mention that the directors of Slumdog Millionaire and City of God were inspired by this movie. That's why I stared to connect the similarity and thought I had seen the movie before. One of the directors did no acknowledged the similarity or connection the Emir Kusturica. I really recommend the film to anyone that enjoys international films, and loves stories of dysfunctional families. The movie is not in English so you will need to read subtitles.

Great Story Telling

Author: santiago_jose_ivan from United States
16 June 2014

This film showed me what might be the best of anarchy. There seems to be no centralized government in gypsy culture. There are a few of those shady characters in the movie which suggest the other side of the spectrum in terms of anarchy. It may or may not be on purpose that this minuscule critique of government shows up in this film. I think in almost all movies governments are portrayed as ineffective, counterproductive, and deceptive. Time of the gypsies shows a fair representation of what anarchy is like on a small scale.

Perhan's story is strange. It is like one of those stories where a grown up audience can say i have been there. This film is about two hours and Perhan is rushed from adolescence to death within that time frame. Time flys by in the movies just as much as in real life. I think this film puts that into perspective. In the course of a few years so much happens and then Perhan dies. It is similar to our adolescence experience. It happens then it is gone. So then we just continue on living and some people live through their children as suggested at the end of the film

The music was captivating. The style of it was mesmerizing. It had elements of psychedelic music which was probably why it captured my attention in the first place. The music throughout the film brings the movie full circle. Their gypsy life style starts at one point and is continued subsequently by the next generation of gypsies.

Overall the film was one which left me restless. It was beautifully filmed. The editing made the story flow nicely. The acting was believable to say the least. The music sold this movie for me as i am more of a music person.

Astonishing Film about family, greed, and vengeance

Author: Joseph Lohman from United States
16 June 2014

"Time of the Gypsies" is a wonderful film about family, greed, and vengeance. It concentrates on the struggles of a poor gypsy family set in former Yugoslavia. Perhan the grandson was born with telekinetic powers, lost his mother during birth and his father to alcoholism. The extent of magical realism used by Kusturica is absolutely astonishing. He gives no distinction of magic, acting as if it were a part of everyday life. Perhan's greed soon takes a hold of him when he is recruited by a gypsy gangster who sells young unwanted children for a living. When Perhan returns to his family he finds his childhood love Azra in bed with his uncle. This devastates Perhan and drives him close to insanity. When Azra tries to tell Perhan she is pregnant with his child he refuses to believe her and says once the child is born he is going to sell it. Grandmother is disgusted with Perhan and the person he has become she could care less about his riches. At the end of the movie it shows Azra giving birth in an open field, her body is lifted into the air and when the child is received she drops dead. This shows a huge connection between Azra and Perhan's mother, both dying after child birth, almost as though his mother was there the entire time watching over him. This was one of the best films I have seen in awhile and recommend anyone to see it.

Perhan "the bastard "

Author: Karen ModeoVa
16 June 2014

Time of gypsies Time of gypsies , history developed in gypsy community in the age of 1988. Perhan "the bastard " as he is called during reasonable first part of the movie , with a unknown soldier father and his mother died , Perhan using his mystical powers to survive with his hard situation , mentioning his sick younger sister and his old grandmother . Till one day the situation changes . He met Azra a beautiful young woman , when he proposed to her I can recognize a enormously difference in his appearance looking more mature trying to become a man . Proposing to get married Azra, he does everything to get her .But his principal concern and priority is her younger sister . Mehran and her sister decided to go to Italy helped by Ahmed and it is when the story changes .

Perhan being a innocent ,immature guy started to get involve in the Italian mafia . Ambitious for money to buy a house and get married , always thinking in Azra. using his mystical powers to get what he wants leads him to face hard situations and different scenes , changing her behavior and personality , changing Perhan as he was . . .not saying more,the ending of the movie is a circle with no end, maybe repeating the situation of a bastard misfit guy …

Kusturica shows gypsy culture in third world country through magical realism in a realistic story of poverty , dreams , personal goals and desires in a hard world .

Same as life it self.

Author: Disa Gran from United States
15 June 2014

Watching "Time of The Gypsies" I was really in to the movie. I think is easy going in the beginning so you understand the story and fun even if the environment is not so easy - a poor village in Sarajevo. I got an understanding and felt for the characters. Thought the scene where Perhan shows Azra how they heat up the stones in the stove was beautiful and that whole sequence whit Perhan and the turkey he gets and have as a pet is nice and funny. It's easy and you get a nice feeling for the film. The movie goes on, and starting to lose its nice feeling. Starting whit the psychotic uncle who lifts the house and the whole trip with Ahmed to Italy and the truth that reveals there. The nice feeling is definitely gone now! But now Kusturica already got me hooked, I love the cinematography and I have strong interest in the main character Perhan. I want to know whats going to happen to him. I can't say I don't like the ending, because I do. I like movies that have these ambiguous endings. Like life its self, and he dose it in a really subtle and fine way whit the brides carrying for a destroyed wedding day. The film has the same structure as life - the Circular structure - it goes on and on.

Magical and heartfelt

Author: faroukramli from United States
14 June 2014

is a film that follows the story of a gypsy named Perhan transforming from boy to man. Perhan lives in a corrupt Gypsy village in the suburbs of Yugoslavia. where he is looking to start his own life, starting with settling for a "loyal" wife Azra. As Perhan begins to lay out the future of his life, his sister is in need of professional medical assistance. Perhan travels with his sister, under the help of gangsters. Perhan is stuck with these gangsters and is forced to join the Mob with no choice, as he awaits his sister to get better. Perhan leaves his Family and his beloved Azra, with now loyalty to the Gangsters that end up screwing him over. this leads to Perhans lust for Power to seek Vengeance and leads to Self-Destruction.

Emir Kusturica effectively depicts the poverty and corruption within the village. but it is not sad, it is accepted, As you see the gypsy's live life happily with the sense that life in its self is a gift. Kusturica's Magical Realism definitely complements the superstitions that are believed by gypsy's. Azra being lifted in the air, gave the sense that the child could be Perhans after all.

i loved this film, you get lost watching it, as the culture is made very relatable and it feels as if you are actually there with the Gypsies experiencing the hardships they face as every obstacle is a blow to the stomach.

Great Film

Author: javier ruiz from United States
11 June 2014

Emir Kusturica did a great job in the film Time of the Gypsies. He touches on magic realism, creativity, and imagination. What we see in the film, Time of the Gypsies, is a continues cycle of poverty, dreams, and revenge.

Emir Kusturica pitches the idea that many of us are living the life of Perhan. Where we find ourselves making wrong chooses because of love, money, and imaginations. As a result, we have the same results of Perhan. Therefore, the cycle is never broken.

Time of the Gypsies is a very unique film because it goes beyond just being a movie. It's a film that the views can connect with.

Side note: Emir Kusturica was one of the few directors who was interested in education.

Great movie of mixture of drama and comedy.

Author: Nikita Dzyubenko from United States
10 June 2014

Time Of The Gypsies is incredible masterpiece of Emir Kusturica who's movies I personally watched all. This particular movie is a bit different than the others due to emotional conflicts and plot, which is very dark. Usually Kusturica's movies are slightly soft and have more look of a comedy, I'm not saying that they don't have emotional conflicts but they are different.

Movie itself will catch you because of many factors: first is movie made with original gypsies language(which Kusturica don't even know) which gives us feeling that we are watching something different something wild, second factor is that main character is young boy and we all know that people sympathize kids a little more also it is a love story, and third one is that movie simply opens up many life problems such as greed or fame and also some might see this movie as good example for young kids to show them how it is really hard to be mature, but besides that it is very good movie to know who are the Gypsies and what it is to be a Roma(Gypsy), because not many of us heard about this people and I'm not talking about knowing them well.

I watched almost all works of Kusturica because my father loves him and he suggested so after first two movies that I've really enjoyed I watched rest because of my desire. After all this movie is a tiny bit hard to watch because of seriousness of protagonist's issues of his very tough life, but is very enjoyable and believe me, you will never forget it! Must Watch!

An examination of Why We Fall and How Far

Author: ashermanb from United States
29 July 2012

Emir Kusturica's Time of the Gypsies gives a perfect demonstration of how one can easily lose their morals, empathy, and identity in the pursuit of something noble, or, as I have re-titled it: The Road to Hell: The Movie. Among the things I liked about this film was that it better exposed me to the culture of gypsies, how their beliefs can clash with other Muslims, and how the film itself and the Perhan's increasing involvement with the criminal underworld were evocative of The Godfather.

One qualm I did have with this film was the fact that Perhan never takes full advantage of the possibilities of his telekinetic abilities. While one could argue that magical realism was in effect here, in that everyone just brushes his abilities off, I don't recall anyone else in the film demonstrating any such thing, save for when Azra levitates as she gives birth to his child. On that note, why did Perhan allow that child to be sold even though he now knew it was his kid, rather than the result of Azra potentially cheating on him.

Regardless, I felt as though the film was an enlightening demonstration of how we can fall from grace, and how the world can change you for the worse.

Triumph and Tragedy

Author: Shiva Sarraf from United States
27 July 2012

The film shows the viewer some challenging obstacles while some strange magic is taking place literally. While on a journey of manhood the character is also trying to help his sister and its quite the sight to see. While there's so much filth in the human trading, raping, and confrontations between all the brothers and the nephew its still remains a good lesson and film in my opinion. It wasn't an absolute amazing production but the film spoke to me and made me have a sense of understanding for some bad people so to speak. Ahmed isn't evil to the core, I sense some humanity behind the characters that in America would make evil fast. This reality made the film that much better. A definite watch for anyone seeking this film "justice" if you will.